Here for You Ch. 21-23

Story Info
A story about trust and betrayal.
5.7k words
3.63
10.6k
18

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/22/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: The final chapters are here. Please comment and let me know what you think! Thank you.

***

Chapter 21

A week later, Karen appeared at Ben's doorstep with a smile on her face. Ben was surprised by her visit, but he invited her in.

"Where's River?" she asked as soon as she took a seat at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in front of her.

"Elle took him out to get a treat for getting an A for his Math test," Ben answered.

"Oh, she shouldn't have had to reward him," Karen said. "She's done more than enough already for him."

He laughed once and shrugged. "She adores the kid and wants to do it. I trust her not to buy anything excessive for him."

"If you say so," she said in a slightly exasperated tone. "Anyway, the reason why I dropped by is because I want to apologize for last week; I behaved like a brat and for that I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize for being human, Karen," he said. "I understand where you came from."

"I appreciate that," she said with a smile. "So I've done some thinking and you're right: I should get help. My behavior was unhealthy and I know that I might lose River if I choose to ignore it. I found a therapist and I will start seeing her in two weeks."

"I'm glad to hear that," he said and gave her a quick hug.

"Maybe the three of us could do lunch one of these days and I can update you on my progress," she suggested.

"The three of us?" he asked.

"What, you don't think I want to be friends with the woman who has been spending a lot of time with my son?" she said teasingly. "I've never seen you allowing your previous girlfriends to spend time alone with him, so I know this one is certainly special."

"She is," he agreed softly.

Karen nodded. "I figured she's going to be a permanent part of your life as well as River's so I guess it doesn't hurt to get to know her." They talked for a few more minutes and she finished off her coffee. "I should be going," she said. "I needed to run some errands, but I figured I should drop by and give you my news."

They hugged each other goodbye and Ben stood on the porch to watch Karen backed her car and drove away. He was sitting on the porch swing with Colt lying beside his feet when Elle and River turned the corner and walked up the driveway. River immediately ran up to greet his father before going into the house with Colt, leaving Ben and Elle standing on the porch.

"How's shopping?" he asked casually.

"It was great. We went to get chocolate sundaes," she replied before tilting her head to look at him. "Now you seem like you're excited about something. What is it?"

Ben put his hands on her waist and pulled her close. "God, woman, you read me like a book."

"I hope it's a good thing."

"It's a sexy thing," he said with a smile. "Karen was here just now. She came to tell me that she's going to see a therapist. She's getting help," he said.

"Wow, that's the greatest news," she said brightly. "I'm so glad to hear that."

"Yeah, me too," Ben said.

***

The fight Elle had with Ben brought them even closer and the next three months passed by like a dream for her. She went to work during the day and spent her nights in Ben's arms. Halloween was around the corner and the three planned to go trick-or-treat together. Elle had bought some poinsettias and English primroses and they were thriving in the flower pots in her balcony and she planned to plant them on the weekend after.

Karen was also making excellent progress with her therapy and River had resumed living with her again. She even had lunch a couple of times with Ben and Elle, updating them on what she had learned from therapy. Elle was glad that Karen was slowly coming out of the depression caused by her father's death.

Elle still babysat River on occasions, mainly because River requested Elle's companionship and she simply indulged his requests. She was supposed to be on babysitting duty that Friday night when Ben called her.

"Hey, baby, I'm on my way over there," she said. For a moment she thought the call was dropped because Ben was quiet on the other line. "Hello?" she said and a sob greeted her ear. "Ben, is that you?"

"It's me," he said softly but Elle could hear the strain in his voice.

"Ben, what's wrong? Is everything alright?" she asked, immediately concerned.

"Yes, everything's wrong. The biggest wrong was that I thought I could trust you," he bit out.

"What are you talking about?" she asked confusedly.

"I talked to River just now. He told me everything," he said.

"Told you what?"

"Quit pretending, Elle!" he shouted so loudly that she jumped. "Stop this bullshit! You know what I'm talking about!"

Elle's heart was beating so hard in her chest that she could hardly form words. "Please stop shouting and tell me what's going on."

"Did you touch him? Did you fucking touch my son?" he shouted the questions.

She could not understand him; her panic caused by his shouting was making her confused. "What do you mean, 'did I touch him'?"

"River told me that you have touched him inappropriately on several occasions when you two were alone in my house," he said, his words almost like a punch to her face. It shook her to the core yet she could hardly believe the accusation.

"No, I did not," she said adamantly. "Why would he say such a thing?"

"A very good question which I would like an answer to myself unless it did happen," he said.

"It didn't happen. I did not and will not do such a thing," she said. "I don't know where that accusation came from."

"Are you saying that my son is a liar?" he challenged.

"I'm telling the truth when I say I won't do such a heinous thing," she shouted.

Ben was quiet and for a moment she thought she might have gotten to him. But then he said, "You're officially fired from the diner. I will mail you your severance pay and all your shit you left in the locker. I don't want you to come near my family. And I've called the cops. They will be at your doorstep any minute." The call went dead and Elle stood there for a full minute with the phone in her hand as she stared unseeingly at the wall in front of her.

What had just happened? That question played repeatedly inside her head as she sat on the kitchen floor with her back against the cabinet. Then, as if on autopilot, she went into her room to get dressed and get her purse. Her mind was blank, but a part of her brain that controlled her muscle movements knew what she would need: to dress warmly and to check that her driver's license was in her wallet.

She moved to the living room and sat down on the couch. Not fifteen minutes later there was a hard knock on the front door as if someone was slamming their fists against the wood.

"Rochester Police Department. Please open the door," a deep voice boomed from the other side. Elle stood and went to open the door to see three police officers standing there, hands on their holsters. "Are you Elle Bronwyn?" the male officer asked. Wordlessly she held out her hands and he grabbed them firmly before placing the cuffs on her wrists.

"Elle Bronwyn, you're under arrest for suspected assault on a minor. You have the right to remain silent..."

Everything else was lost to Elle as she allowed herself to be led away from her apartment. Her neighbors opened their doors to see what the commotion was and her face heated when she caught the scandalized look on some of them but she refused to duck her head. She refused to let them think that she was guilty.

At the police station, Elle was led into a room after having her body checked for weapons and her purse locked away. Throughout the ride and the body check, she had felt strangely detached from it all, as if it was something that was happening to another person.

There was no clock in the interrogation room and there was no window showing the outside world so she didn't know how long she sat there. The only indication of time passing was the growling in her stomach and the dryness in her mouth and throat, telling her it had been a long time since she had eaten and drank.

Suddenly the door opened and a tall man walked in with a file in his hand and Elle raised her eyes to look at him. He was wearing a white shirt with its sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a pair of black slacks.

"Ms. Bronwyn, I'm Detective Carlson," he introduced himself and she was surprised that he sounded weary instead of intimidating. "Do you know why you're here?"

"I am suspected of assault against a minor," she replied robotically.

Carlson raised an eyebrow. "And you seem so calm about it."

She met his eyes. "Because I didn't do it."

He nodded slightly as his eyes ran over her face, studying her. "How do you know River James Garrett?"

"He is my boyfriend's son," she answered.

"And how long you have been seeing the father?"

A lump formed in her throat, making it hard for her to talk. "A little less than eight months," she replied. Had it only been eight months? It seemed like she had been with Ben forever. It certainly seemed like she had loved him forever.

"And did you know he has a son when you two started seeing each other?" Carlson asked.

"I did. Ben was my employer and River was four when I started working at the diner," she said.

"So you have known them for a few years, at least?" he asked.

"Two years," she whispered.

"Have you ever been alone with the kid before, for any length of time?"

"I babysat him when his father needed to work nights," she said.

"So basically you fed him, you played with him. Did that include bathing him?"

Elle glared at Carlson. "River could bathe himself," she said through gritted teeth. "I only helped to rinse his hair because sometimes he couldn't clean off the suds."

He gave her a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "You have an answer for everything, don't you? So why don't you save us both precious time and just tell me the truth?"

She forced herself to remain calm and leaned back against the seat again. "I didn't do anything wrong," she insisted quietly.

"You've known the kid for a while and you two seem to have a good relationship," he said. "So why would a six-year-old tell his parents stuff like that if it didn't happen?"

"I don't—"

Carlson cut her off. "According to the parents, you are quite the devoted auntie, aren't you? Showering the kid with gifts, teaching him arts and crafts..." He narrowed his eyes at her. "And all the while you were waiting for the perfect opportunity to take advantage of a vulnerable and helpless child."

Elle was left aghast by that accusation. "I swear to God, Detective—"

"The father said you have also expressed a high level of interest towards the child, always asking where he was and when were you guys going to get together and do stuff," Carlson said. "What's it to you, then?"

"I loved River like he was my son," she said fiercely.

"Ah, and have you gotten confused with the kind of 'love' somehow along the way? Your twisted mind somehow wanted to exert power over the child..."

"Stop!" she shouted at the detective. "For the last time: I did not do anything to hurt River and his father! I loved both of them! Ben meant the world to me and I accepted everything that came with him. His son and his ex-fiancée came in the same package and I accepted them both! I don't know why I am accused of this heinous crime which I didn't commit! I did not do it!" She was breathing hard by the time she finished talking and tears that she didn't know had formed in her eyes spilled down her cheeks.

Carlson leaned back and crossed his arms, his eyes still studying her. "We're in the process of obtaining a warrant to search your house. We're not done here." And with that, he stood and left the room swiftly.

Chapter 22

Elle had to be detained for forty-eight hours. She was allowed to make one phone call so she called Zoe to tell her where she was. Zoe was frantic.

"Oh, my God, Elle, I can't believe this is happening," she cried.

Elle tried her best to calm her best friend down even though she was feeling near-hysterical herself. "I can't be long, Zoe. Don't worry about me, okay? I'll be home soon."

"I'll talk to Liz about it. She knows some legal advisors at her firm; they'd know some good criminal lawyers," Zoe said.

"Thanks, I'll keep you posted. Bye," Elle said. She spent the night in the holding cell and shared a cell with another woman who looked like she needed medical attention more than anything. Early the next day, a female police officer came to escort Elle. Detective Carlson was already waiting for her in the interrogation room where he fired her with the same questions that he did the day before.

By the third round, Elle sighed tiredly and rested her forehead on the tabletop. "For the last time, Detective, I did not do it. You can even ask my friends if you want."

Carlson glared at her menacingly. "Oh, we have invited quite a few of your friends. And we have an expert working on your laptop and phone that we had confiscated yesterday. And time will tell."

He left her alone in the room again. Once more she was left to wonder how much time had passed. Her stomach had been constantly aching from nerves and lack of food intake ever since she got here. She hadn't slept much the night before and felt tired. In an attempt to stay awake, she stood and walked slowly around the room. Carlson had said they were interviewing her friends; she hoped fervently that they weren't as freaked out by this as she was.

The door opened again and Detective Carlson returned. He looked as angry as ever. "Sit down, Ms. Bronwyn." Elle immediately obeyed and the detective pressed his palms on the top of the table and leaned forwards to look at her. She tried to match his gaze as best as she could. "The victim isn't talking. Do you have any idea why?"

"Because I didn't do it," she replied honestly. "Have you got River checked out at the hospital?"

The detective slammed his fists onto the table and the noise was so loud that it jolted her. "You think this is my first day on the job? You don't have to leave physical marks on a body to leave them emotionally scarred!"

Elle knew that they could get someone to evaluate River's emotional state just as easily, but she thought the answer was so obvious that she didn't feel the need to point that out. Besides, her heart was still hammering in her chest from the noise when Carlson hit the table earlier.

"Ms. Bronwyn," Carlson said, his voice straining, "a child told his parents things that he shouldn't know at his age. Please enlighten me as to why he would come up with that story if it didn't happen to him."

She shook her head in resignation. "I don't know, sir," she whispered and slumped back against her seat.

Carlson sighed and when he spoke next his voice was surprisingly gentle. "That's not the answer I was looking for, Ms. Bronwyn. If you can't give me anything concrete to prove your innocence, this will not look good for you."

Elle felt tears forming and she sniffled. "River knows I didn't do anything to hurt him."

He sighed again. "I'll get somebody to bring in something for you to eat."

***

At the end of the day, Elle was once again escorted back into the same cell she had the night before. The sick woman was gone, though, and in her place was a young girl who barely looked older than eighteen. Elle tried to strike up a conversation, but the girl was unreceptive so she gave up and settled down to try to go to sleep instead. She didn't think she was there for more than an hour when the cell door was opened again.

"Fuck this shit, can't a girl get some peace around here?" Elle's cellmate grumbled.

The officer standing at the door ignored her as she called out, "Elle Bronwyn."

Elle got up and followed the officer out of the cell and walked down the hallway. Back in the interrogation room, Detective Carlson was already seated, looking exhausted. For a moment, Elle felt sorry for him. He nodded for her to sit.

"Ms. Bronwyn," he said, "We finally have an answer to everything that has happened." Elle stared at him as hope surged inside her. "I got the psychiatrist who was evaluating River to coax the truth out of him. The poor little guy was on the verge of breaking down because it dawned on him that he was getting you into trouble so he told the doctor everything."

"What?" she croaked.

"He was manipulated by the mother," he said.

"Karen?" she whispered in shock. "She... she set me up?"

Carlson nodded. "Apparently she was still in love with River's father and since you two are dating, she decided to get her son to tell a lie about you so that the father would break up with you. What she didn't expect was that the father would call the cops."

Elle shook her head, unable to believe what she was hearing. "She did all this just to get Ben to break up with me?" she asked.

"I had my suspicion when the kid won't say anything beyond that you'd touched him," Carlson said. "He couldn't really say where because his mother hadn't taught him that. Couple that with the interviews we had with your friends and colleagues and also the fact that the IT couldn't find anything incriminating on your laptop and phone, I decided to place more pressure on the parents instead."

"The father was upset, naturally," he continued. "Yet even he couldn't pinpoint if River had been displaying abnormal behavior these past few months. But his statement was unwavering: that you babysat River when he was not around and that as soon as he had gotten the call from his son about your supposed crime, he called the cops before calling you. And the mother, well the mother had seemed more nervous than anything else. And her story changes. When I interrogated her for the third time, she broke down and told the truth."

Elle closed her eyes as tears wetted her cheeks. "River doesn't deserve this," she whispered.

"He doesn't," he agreed. "But what's done is done and now the truth is out and Ms. Perry confesses to everything."

"Is she going to be in trouble?" she asked.

"She's likely going to lose custody of her son; that's for the court to decide. The rest... well, it's entirely up to you if you wanted to sue her for defamation," he said. Elle nodded, but she didn't say anything. The detective gathered the file in his hands and looked at her. "Ms. Bronwyn, you are dropped from all charges and are free to go. I'll get a cruiser to send you home."

She nodded. "Thanks, detective."

"Don't mention it," Carlson said and dug out his name card. "If you need help, give me a call."

***

Ben sat opposite to Karen in the interrogation room. Detective Carlson had left so that they could talk. He watched as she dabbed her eyes with a bit of tissue and sniffed occasionally, but he couldn't muster a single bit of sympathy for her now.

"Why did you do that, Karen?" he asked her at last. "I don't get it."

"Because I want you back," she answered.

"No," he said and shook his head in frustration. "Of all the lies you could've told me, why did you have to involve our son?"

"Would you have acted the way you did if I hadn't?" she asked him back.

"You did all this just to get me to break up with Elle?" he asked, incredulous. "That's fucked up."

"That woman's the one who's fucked up!" Karen snapped. "How dare her to come between us! We were meant to be together and she wouldn't take the hint. She's the fucked up one!"

"Karen, we've broken up a long time before Elle came into the picture," he reminded.

"Yes, we did, but that doesn't mean we can't get back together, Ben," she said. "Your mom wants us back together and my dad did too; you heard him!"

"You can't drag other people into this, Karen," he said. "This is between us."

"You wouldn't even look at me now because that woman is so perfect for you," she sneered before her face scrunched and she sobbed. "You were not supposed to drag the police into this, Ben. You were just supposed to break up with her and come back to me."

12