Highever Series Ch. 00

Story Info
An arranged marriage is expected of the Prince of Highever.
2.7k words
4.6
21.2k
21

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 06/15/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my first submission to Literotica! My story has distinctive references to the game Dragon Age Origins, but you don't have to know it as I only borrowed names and places and not the complete plot. Please rate and comment!

I would hate to waste your time, so know that this story takes its time and this first part has no sex scenes. My focus on these first chapters are mostly character development. You have my word that I will post the continuation of this as soon as tomorrow depending on how you enjoy it.

Enjoy! :)

________________________________________

HIGHEVER PALACE

"Ready my horse, Gustav. I'm up for an early ride in the wilds this morning." Kellan commanded with the utmost courtesy as he approached the servants' table in the castle's main kitchen. From the corner of his eye he spotted two unfamiliar servants who were slicing vegetables for his father's morning soup, drop to their knees.

"Our apologies your majesty, we did not see you come in." muttered the elder, her head bowed down as she spoke.

Gustav gave his old friend, his highness the prince a knowing grin. Prince Kellan Bryce Theirin IV was always an early bird, sometimes awoke before any of the morning duty guards or breakfast servants were. He always came into the kitchen almost as a commoner, dressed in his casual white shirt and pants and would grab an apple from the freshly picked basket and sit down at the cottage table to have a chat with him. Prince Kellan would encourage the servants to be at ease when he is not on duty at court, addressing the throne room, escorting his stepmother in the absence of the King, or simply grabbing an early morning snack at the kitchen.

Now, even at 28 years old, (the age when a man of noble birth is encouraged to take court and marry) the man still acts as humble as no noble ever was. Gustav was merely a boy of fifteen when he came to take his father's place as a stable boy in the castle, unfamiliar with his surroundings and with limited access to see his family because of his servitude, he was frightened but tried to learn how to be a man and bottle it all in. The Prince however was not a stranger to maternal longing. His mother, Lady Theresa Vael, succumbed to a deadly plague when he was eight, and although his stepmother, The Comtess Beatrice Langford Theirin treated him well, he still finds himself, after many years, longing for his own mother. Three years his senior and allowed a horse outside the palace grounds, Kellan would always ask Gustav to accompany him on his morning rides, intentionally leading their horses to pass by Gustav's village, so he may spend some time with his family. Ten years later, their closeness remains the same, with the Prince sometimes unknowingly dining at their small cottage with his family.

Kellan gave them a polite smile and summoned them to stand. "At ease ladies, and always so when I come into your abode. Now, as you were." the servants nodded gratefully and returned to their duties as the Prince takes his seat at the servant's breakfast table in front of Gustav.

If his features weren't so distinctive, no one would guess that he was the most important man in the country, being the only direct heir to the throne. His piercing ocean blue eyes would easily specify him of Theirin blood. If historical paintings were accurate, then his resemblance to his 3rd Great Grandfather King Alistair was eerily uncanny, except he has his wife's eyes, (Lady Arista Cousland's.)

"Pardon me, Sire, but I believe your father wanted to you hold court today. He has asked me to get all the horses ready for their trip up north, to fetch the Comtess' niece. I was just informing you in case you wanted to take a longer ride."

Kellan sighed heavily. He knew it was his duty to the throne to make an advantageous alliance through marriage. For about five years now, he has been pressured to meet ladies of neighboring kingdoms, so he does not feel as if he was being pressured into the frowned upon idea of an "arranged marriage." And although extremely tempting, he found most of them too easily amused. Once his arousal was satiated by them, and to be curt, quite easily, he found them more suitable a concubine. Out of frustration, his father announced that he either make his choice this year, or he--the King, will make it for him.

"Lady Dominique De Bourgh..." Kellan muttered under his breath as he nonchalantly grabbed a fruit plate. Dominique was his stepmother's niece and 8 years his junior. They first met when she was twelve, and once again when she was sixteen. Although sweet-tempered, intelligent, sophisticated and beautiful--everything he wanted in a wife, he still does not see her any more than he would a sibling, if he ever had any.

Kellan knew that his father and stepmother would go up north to Chanterburry to fetch her niece and bring her here, in order for them to get "better acquainted." Which in Kellan's knowing ears sounds just as well as "Royal Wedding Bells."

"Things could be different now, Sire. The years may have proven to be kind." Gustav said encouragingly as he noticed his friend's sudden withdrawal. He has never met the Lady before, as the King would often refuse to take the most trusted servant away from his kingdom on their visits up north, and Gustav--for the most part didn't mind. He had the liberty to see his family, sleep in the chambermaids' quarters, drink ale, and most of all, have a look at the books that Kellan encourages him to read when he has spare time.

"It was never about her beauty or youth, Gustav. She is beautiful by remarkable means as I can recall, courteous than most royals I've ever encountered. But our conversations have always been mild, and quite plain to be honest." he leaned back, peering at the window beside him. "She is of sophistication as well, quite deserving to be a noble--and to be a nobleman's wife--but just not for myself."

"I suppose if duty truly calls for me to marry before I take the throne, then by all means she is perfection at it's finest." Kellan muttered finally as he beckoned for Gustav to join him for a ride in the morning before he had to attend to court.

**************************************************

CHANTERBURRY

"Please come with me to the castle Geneve, I have never been before and I certainly wouldn't be able to keep my wits without you around!" Dominique pleaded. "We are sisters after all, and--and--it is your duty!" she teased, desperate for her to comply.

A teasing smirk likewise formed from Geneve's full scarlet lips, the marking of her father. "Half-sisters, Dominique. And you know how royals make me ill! What need would you have of me after the--'Royal Wedding?'"

Somewhat withdrawn, Dominique kept her chin up. "Kellan has always been good to me when we met, so I suppose he wouldn't have a problem if I kept you around as my lady-in-waiting." she half-smiled.

"Lady-in-waiting? Spare me your titles, dear. You know I have no desire for such."

"You're technically a royal."

"A royal bastard." she teased.

"You know how much that bothers me, Geneve." Dominique muttered, uncharacteristically sternly. "We have the same father, the only difference is that he was married to my mother when he already had you with yours. I have never treated you any differently, I love you as my own sister ignoring our own father's faults and I wanted you to live here. Father wants you to have your own title now that we're both of age but you have refused repeatedly, which I have respected. But it pains me to hear that you still consider yourself a bastard when I have never treated you as such."

Geneve paused, ashamed. "My apologies, sister. You know I love you so. I was just taken aback by this--engagement or lack thereof, and my fear that you would live far, far, away without me, indulging in all this royal snobbery." she pulled her own silky brown hair back as her and Dominique sat in front of the vanity table, she began to distinguish how strikingly contrast they looked. Dominique had beautiful blond curly hair which went just below her shoulders, much like her mother's. A small pouty mouth and a small chin to go with it. Geneve took her luscious brown hair from her mother, and the mouth that would definitely prove her a De Bourgh. They both had their father's almond-shaped ice-blue eyes, and their buxom creamy breasts which almost always spills out of their day gowns, they figured that most of the women in their father's side had them.

"So you'll come then? If you're so unsettled of me moving far away?" Dominique suddenly smiled.

With a slight groan, as her sister definitely outsmarted her once again, Geneve resigned, "Alright, alright, you've won." they laughed, especially the latter, she had known that she was also asked to visit in case the wedding was to take place immediately.

**************************************************

HIGHEVER PALACE

"Gustav, stay at my side." Kellan asked. The throne room had been decorated beautifully with fresh spring flowers, and after three whole weeks his father had finally returned from the trip to Chanterburry, informing him that 'Dominique has arrived and has blossomed well!' After an afternoon's rest, they are to suffer the formality of being announced in the throne room among local courtiers and nobles, then they are to dine together.

Kellan hasn't seen his inevitable bride since she has arrived, and his stepmother preferred it so. She believed that the anxious feeling of surprise might encourage him to finally bite the bait. Not that he needed it. After a few weeks of self-reflection, he has finally agreed to comply to this semi-arranged marriage. His Father King Maric III and mother Lady Theresa did not have an arranged marriage, rumor has it that he saw her attending to court with her father and pursued her to no end. The marriage to his stepmother, Beatrice, however was arranged two years after his mother's death, she was fit to wear the crown and the courtiers saw the kingdom empty without a Queen. Though awkward at first, it seems they have grown closer over the years and have learned to respect each other and coexist. He could only hope that him and Dominique will have the same fate.

"Are you certain, Messir? You know your father would not appreciate having your stable boy posed anywhere near the throne."

"Father will certainly not mind, because you are no longer a stable boy--you haven't been in years--you are the captain of the guard. Just because you prefer readying the horses rather than your duties when I hold court does not mean that you're my stable boy."

Gustav laughed. "I tease, I tease. This fine suit does remind me it's great to be a Captain." he muttered, though he does enjoy the company of horses, he was the first in his family to receive the honor of being Captain of the Guard, and it is a title he values proudly.

Gustav readily took his place two steps down the right of the Prince, who stood right of the King's throne, slightly forward. Above them, at the high viewing terraces that surrounded the room, the nobles of Highever whispered excitedly in their seats as the courtiers took their places at the terraces facing the throne.

The herald stood up the podium and this instantly hushed down the whispers.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present to you, your Royal Highness, King Maric Theirin III escorted by his wife, her majesty and Princess-Consort Comtess Beatrice Langford Theirin!"

A cheery applause welcomed the couple as the double doors opened and they made their way down the aisle along the line of dressed knights. The King took his chair and the Comtess stood beside him, eager in her excitement. She had lent Dominique her diamond sapphire necklace and couldn't wait to see it on her. She secured her blond bun under her tiara as she looks proudly at her husband, whose excitement in having another heir was apparent.

The crowd remained standing, as opposed to taking their seats after the King took his, as per custom when an honored visitor to the castle is to be announced.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, join your majesty the King of Highever, along with his son Prince Kellan--" a momentary sigh from the younger ladies in attendance "and the Comtess as they welcome our honored guests of the evening, Lady Dominique De Bourgh of Chanterburry and her sister, " a slight hesitation from the herald because the latter is not of a proper title for being a sibling to a noble according to the scroll, assuming it an error, " Lady Geneve De Bourgh, likewise of Chanterburry!"

A polite applause greeted the sisters as the double doors opened from them, Dominique held her chin high as she walked down the aisle to formally curtsy for Highever's royal family and her future husband. Her long dark blond locks are secured in a formal french braid and she marched down with a royal blue gown, upon the insistence of her aunt, mildly showing her voluptuous assets as her neckline was gently lowered upon arrival, to 'accentuate the sapphire necklace she was lent.' Geneve, marching beside her, wore a much more humble peach colored dress, and her medium brown hair was neatly poised into a side ponytail. Her step-aunt insisted that she also have her dress lowered at the front, because such assets shouldn't be ashamed of. It was maybe because of the tailor's mistake, but her neckline was pushing immodesty. Her creamy breasts are deviously teasing out of her dress but it was still a polite outfit. Her full scarlet lips forced a smile as they finally reached the front of the King's throne and finally got to curtsy for the royal family and have the first look at her brother in law.

Kellan only took a moment to breathe as formalities were being spoken. Dominique was perfection, but the beauty beside her was outstanding. Though she only gave him a courteous nod, he did not stop staring at the marvelous form that was before him. He was not informed that Dominique's sister was in the castle, nor did he even know that she had a sister! Geneve's eyes were off him as she listened to the herald speak to the courtiers, so he took a while to feast his eyes on her full-blown lips, which he was eager to kiss right away, and lower he hungered for the full breasts that were displayed in front of his eyes. He clenched his fists as he studied his subject better. The peach gown, although heavily layered hugged her in all the right places. He started to feel a familiar ache underneath his belt and tried to relax as the King took podium.

"Let the feast, begin!" he announced excitedly.

As slight hints of an engagement slowly captured the dining table, Dominique kept mum. She sat right beside her future husband but could not help but steal glances at some man who seemed to be close to Kellan but was not introduced. Kellan was just as she remembered. Well built, tall, chiseled jaw-line, handsome, and of few words. But she was looking at someone who, if she's not mistaken--is an important member of the Highever guards. He stood almost directly behind the King's chair along with a line of other guards about ten feet from the big table. Dominique looked eagerly as the conversation left her. This man had short rich dark brown hair, in contrast to Kellan's medium length golden blond. He had bigger muscles and had a slighter height advantage. Other than Kellan and some pompous Lord from a neighboring kingdom she had not been socially exposed to any other man, as far as she knows, her sister as well.

As if on instinct, Gustav felt shy eyes were upon him. He checked on the King, who was happily speaking to his wife, Kellan who was quitely sipping his wine, and then to his future bride, who upon being caught in a stare--quickly changed her focus. Only after a few seconds, look back up at him and granted him a smile.

Confused, he gave the lady a curt nod and stood back in position. 'Surely such kindness to castle staff must be of value to Kellan, if he's smart.' he thought.