Highland Magic Ch. 04

Story Info
Regan meets Cien for the "first" time.
1.5k words
4.66
24.4k
6

Part 4 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A while later, I didn't exactly know how long, as my watch had for some unknown reason, died, Maggie had me dressed in a soft blue gown made of what I assumed was wool. It was a beautiful dress, I had to admit, even if it was slightly itchy and a little too short.

I glanced down at my toes and sighed. You could see up to my ankles. Maggie said it was considered very improper to see a woman's ankles, but since I hadn't any other clothes, she said it would have to do. I stared at her for a moment, before nodding. No ankles. Got it. I wanted to shake my head and tell her the only thing improper in my time was walking around nude. And people did that anyway too.

She stood back and examined me closely after she brushed my hair until it shined. She seemed pleased with what she saw, because she smiled and nodded. "Aye, it will do." Moving me from the chair back to the bed, she sat me down and sat next to me.

"Now lassie, here is the story ye must use until the Laird has fallen in love with ye. Then ye can tell him what ye true origins are." She licked her fingers and tucked a piece of my hair back. "Yer the daughter of Laird McNare. The old Laird is dying, and his daughter be missing. Ye tell the Laird that yer father was horrible to ye, beat ye and the like. So ye dressed as a page and ran from yer father's lands. That be when Kevin Fraser found ye." I nodded. I think I could handle. that.

I looked at Maggie and felt something deep inside me. Like I remembered her from somewhere. "Maggie..." She shook her head and held up her hand. "Nay, Lassie. 'Tis not the time for questions. There will be a later time and place." She stood quickly and gave me a reassuring smile.

" 'Tis time, my lady."

I nodded and stood. Pulling at the dress, I wished desperately that it would fit and finally settled for trying to push the wrinkles out of it. When I looked up at Maggie, I gave my best reassuring smile, and knew I failed.

I was heading into the lion's den.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cien Fraser was sitting in the Laird's chair at the head of the table waiting for Maggie and the mysterious woman to come down to sup. He glanced around the hall quickly, watching his men jest and speak amongst themselves. Cien gritted his teeth as he again looked at the stair way.

"Cien, calm down." Alex spoke from his left elbow.

Cien looked down at him and glared. "None of us can sup until those bloody women come down here." Alex laughed. "What is so funny, cousin?"

Alex continued to laugh. "That it was your order that is keeping us from eating our dinner. You do remember ordering the men not to eat until the women joined us, don't you, Cien?" Alex ducked laughingly as Cien struck his fist out. "I am guessing you do."

"You stupid son of a -"

"Here they come," Alex interupted. Cien looked away from his couisn to the stair case where Maggie the Healer was helping a young woman down the steps. He watched them make their way down the steps and when she finally made it to the bottom, the mystery woman looked up, her face glowing with her smile.

Cien stood when he saw her face. It was bright with joy and youth. Her hair was the color of a raven and curly to boot. When she was close enough he could see her eyes. They were the blue green of the sea. He didn't realize he was stairing until the entire hall went silent and Alex cleared his throat.

"My lord," Maggie spoke smiling, "May I present the Lady Rose. Daughter of Laird McNare." She curtsied, blushing all the while. Cien bowed low.

"My lady, it is a pleasure to have you in my hall. Please be seated." Cien smiled over her as she blushed again. After everyone was seated and the serving wenches had begun serving supper, Cien leaned back in his chair and stared at Rose again. "What brings you to my hall, Lady Rose?"

She looked startled as she looked up at him, but quickly masked it. "My Laird is dying, your grace." She glanced at Maggie who nodded. "I have left because I was beaten daily and wished myself away." She looked uncertain of her own answer, but was able to look him in the eye. Odd, Cien thought. McNares hated the Frasers' and for her to look him in the eye without fear... Spunk, he decided. She had spunk.

She looked away at back to Maggie. It was obvious the women had a connection of some sorts. He watched them speak quietly, smiling at one another. As soon as he could he was going to get Maggie alone and they were going to get a few thing out in the open about his house guest.

"Cien, don't you think we should return the Lady Rose to her father? We don't need a war with the McNare's right now." Alex spoke sofly. Cien nodded without looking at his cousin.

"It would be the wisest thing to do." Cien agreed. "But you heard her speak of her father. The man abused her Alex. I canna send her back to that. No person should have to be beaten daily by their own kin. Tis an outrage." Cien's face grew dark. "As long as the bastard McNare doesn't know we have her then there won't be a war."

Alex nodded and turned away from his cousin. He could see where Cien was coming from but he thought it an unneedy risk. The fate of the clan was suddenly in jeopardy and all because he didn't want to send one woman back to her father? Alex resisted the urge to shake his head, as he picked up a piece mutton and shoved it in his mouth.

Cien was a caring man, he always had been. Alex considered it one of his greatest faults. The Laird needed to be a hard harsh man in all respects, but Cien wasn't. He was harsh when he needed to be, harsh with his soldiers, but not with anyone else, regarding anyone else. He had a soft touch. Alex mentally shook his head. A woman's touch.

He'd over heard one of the serving wenches talking to another about Cien a fortnight ago. She'd told the other how harsh he'd been with her and another wench. Alex and grinned with approval. Then she had spoken of how she believed that Alex was the devil himself with his cruelty. Alex felt the devil's own grin split his face when he thought of how the serving wench would never talk again. Not from her shallow grave in the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat at the table, speaking softly to Maggie about what she had deemed appropriate topics. Tossing my hair over my shoulder, she gave me a quick shake of her head, letting me know that was inappropriate. I sighed and picked at the food on my trencher. It was greasy mutton and fruit tarts. Not exactly a five star meal, but it was food. I forced myself to try a bite of the fruit tart and was pleasntly surprised. I smiled, biting into it again. Not so bad at all.

"Lady Rose," a soldier down the table spoke loudly, "regale us with your tale of escape from the McNares." I blushed and looked away. Oh crap. What the hell was I going to tell them? I looked off into the flames of the fire in front of me, and pretended shyness.

"The Lady Rose has had a powerfully long day, Laird Cien. Perhaps I should take her up to her chamber?" I glanced at Maggie as she spoke and then to the man they called Laird. He was tall, handsome in a rugged sort of way. I could tell his nose had been broken a few times, wether or not in battle, I didn't know. But that only added to his rugged appearance. His long hair had a braid here and there with the occasional colorful bead. It was just has he had appeared in my dream.

When I had first seen him in the flesh, I had almost fainted. It was as if I was seeing my long lost lover. I didn't know where that came from inside me, but that was what I felt. He was my other half. I realized I was staring at him when Maggie began to pull at my arms. "Come child. It is time you went to bed."

"I'm not a child," I grumbled before I could help myself. Maggie only laughed and forced me from the table. But I didn't want to be away from Cien. I wanted to be as close to him as I could get. As we passed him at the head of the table, I stopped and turned to him.

"I trust I will see you in the morning, Laird?" He looked up, a bit started and smiled at me. When he didn't say anything, I assumed the smile was the answer. Smiling back, I turned and headed up the stairs with Maggie.

It hadn't been so bad after all.