Highland Magic Ch. 09

Story Info
Plans have a way of going wrong.
1.7k words
4.74
20.2k
4

Part 9 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was pleasantly surprised how wonderful dinner was. I felt like a pig when I was done, as I ate more than I had in a long time. But then again, I hadn't eaten the day before except an apple. Cien made great company, and I found myself laughing and making jokes with him. I discovered much to my dismay, he had two wonderful dimples in his cheeks, so that whenever he smiled, he looked like a cherub.

It seemed as if he couldn't take his eyes off of me. I blushed throughout the entire meal as he made small jokes and comments about how wonderful I looked. I would look at Tilda every once and a while, and she would have the most smug look on her face. I wanted to laugh and shake my head, but didn't dare. I didn't want Cien to think I was crazy.

That thought brought me up short. I had been having such a good time, I had forgotten what Alex said. The memory of the way he'd pushed me to the ground and told me he would have me burned as a witch made me shudder. I looked up at Cien with renewed fear. This man was amazing, and the first person I had ever felt like I could really fall in love with, and my potential executioner.

"Are you all right, Lady Rose?" I glanced up at Cien. He had a look of concern and confusion on his face, and I knew that I had to lie. I looked away, down to my plate and lied through my teeth.

"I am fine, Laird Cien. Quite well, indeed." I glanced back up at him to see if he had taken my lie to heart. He sat back in his chair studying me cautiously. Oh God, had I made him think the worst of me?

"I think you must still be feeling ill. Your face paled considerably. Mayhap I could take you back upstairs to rest?" The idea was so appealing I nearly jumped out of my seat and danced.

"That would be wonderful, Larid Cien." He nodded as if he had known he was right all along, and stood. Helping me up, he took my hand in his. There it was again... That electricity I had felt when he helped me onto my stool earlier. I glanced up quickly to judge wether he felt it or not as well.

He had a look of pleasure on his face, and grinned like a loon when I looked into his eyes. Lord, but they sparkled. Keeping my hand in his, he turned to the those who were still eating. "The Lady Rose still feels slightly ill. I am taking her up to her chamber." There were a chorus of good nights and feel betters. I smiled and curtsied to them all. "Thank you all for your company. I am sure I will feel better on the morrow." I hoped I said that right. Tilda smiled brightly at me, and I knew I had.

We walked slowly up the stairs. "I am happy you will be joining me on the morrow for our outing."

Cien said as we climbed. I smiled up at him, genuinely.

"As am I. I truly wish to see your land, Cien. It is wonderfully beautiful here, I can only imagine how beautiful it is away from your castle." Cien smiled as if I had just given him the greatest compliment on Earth.

"That is a fine compliment, Rose." I blushed again, and looked away.

"So..." I said, feeling the strain on the conversation. "How did you become Laird?"

Cien spoke softly as we entered the upper stairway. "My father was larid, but unlike most clans, we doona just become laird if your the son. Nay, I had to fight for my right as larid." I was quiet, thinking on the cruelness of this place. It wasn't fair. In the future we had medicine, good hygiene and for the most part, peace.

So why was this such a war torn, dirty, disease ridden place?

I looked back up at Cien to find him smiling down at me. "And what has such a lovely lady thinking so hard?" I looked away, trying to fight a smile. How was it, that no matter how hard I tried to not let his flirting get to me, it always did? And I liked it?

"Nothing, Cien. I promise you. I was just thinking on our outing tomorrow."

Cien nodded. " 'Twill be very entertaining, I think." I laughed.

"I hope so. That is the entire reason for going isn't it?" Cien laughed. It was a strong laugh, thick with masculinity and joy. I found myself giggling in response.

"Aye it is." He stopped at my door. "Now Lady Rose, I shall bid you good night." I grinned as he lifted my hand to his lips and gently kissed it. "Let us meet at the stables at an hour before the nooning meal."

"I will see you there, Laird Cien." I smiled, pulling my hand back.

"Please, my lady, call me by my Christian name."

"Only if you will call me by mine, Larid." He studied me with a small smile for a moment before grinning.

"A deal then. Would you like to shake on it, Rose?"

I shook my head. "Let it be a promise. Something less personal surely."

"A kiss then?"

"It shall surfice, I suppose." Cien grinned broader and put his hands on my shoulders lightly. Slowly he leaned down and pressed his lips against mine. It was brief. All too brief. When he pulled away, I knew I was blushing. Again.

"Good night my sweet lady."

"Good night, Cien." I opened the door and watched him walk back down the hall to the steps. He turned and waved a small wave to me as he decended the steps. I closed the door and leaned against it. Sighing, I began to hum to myself as flounced over to the bed.

That was when it grabbed me.

They must have been hiding in the nook by the door, in the shadows. As I neared the bed, they grabbed me from behind and put a hand over my mouth. I screamed in vain. The noise downstairs would have drown out my voice, even if there wasn't a hand on my mouth.

"Witch!" The accusation came harsh against my ears. "I will see you burn this night." I began screaming and twisting in the arms that held me to no avail. I began pleading for my life. I was begging like a person condemned. As I was.

Suddenly something crashed into my head, sending cascades of pain down my head into my back. I sagged against my attacker and was giving into the blackness when I felt another sharp crash against my skull.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cien felt a shiver of cold and looked over his shoulder. The door to the hall was closed, as most people were still at sup. No one had come in, and no one had left. Cien shrugged mentally. It would just be a cold night. Turning back to the table, he felt an undeniable urge to check on Rose. Turning, he glanced up at the stairs, watching them closely, almost as if she were standing there, watching him. As the piper died down at the end of his song, he heard something upstairs.

"Kevin, Gwain." Cien stood, shouting the names of his most trusted soldiers. He didn't stop to see if they were behind him, but jumped up the stairs, taking them three at a time. He heard what sounded like a heavy groan, and knew something was wrong with the Lady Rose.

It only made him increase his speed until he was running.

He pushed against her door, only to find it blocked from the inside. "Kevin, help me push the door down." The men rushed the door, knocking it off its hinges. With the door down, Cien and Kevin and Gwain stormed the room.

Rose was on her back, in the middle of the carpet. She looked as if she'd fallen in the river. Her hair and clothing were wet, and she lay moitionless on the ground. Above her with a torch in his hand stood Alex.

"Come no closer, cousin." Alex said in a deep frightening voice. "She is a witch and I mean to see her burn as one."

"Alex," Cien said, as he stepped further into the room. "Doona do this. She is naught but an innocent. Would you see an innocent harmed?"

Alex sneered. "She is no innocent, as you well know." He dropped to his knees above her. "She has possessed you and wants your soul Cien. And I mean to save you." Alex turned his attention to lighting Rose on fire.

Gwain leapt forward and tackled Alex to the ground, throwing the torch to the other side of the

stone room. Cien leapt forward and grabbed Rose off of the floor. She was limp, and no matter how he wanted to scream in fury, and hold her close, he handed her gingerly to Kevin.

Turning back to Alex who was now subdued by Gwain. Alex sturgged against Gwain, but it was to no avail. Gwain was a hundred pounds heavier and in far better shape.

"You," Cien ground out in furry, "are no longer welcome on Fraser land. If I ever see you on this land again, you will be a dead man. You are no longer a Fraser. Now get the hell off my land!" He ended on a roar.

Gwain easily lifted the man and led him from the room. "Take him to the boarder, and leave him there. No horse, no food. Let the treasonous bastard find his own supplies."

Gwain nodded and led Alex away.

Cien moved to where Kevin stood, lying Rose on her bed. "He covered her in whiskey, Cien. He really meant to burn her a witch." Cien nodded.

"Order her a bath. I want her head seen to as well. Tilda can do it. Send for Maggie the Healer. I want her here around the clock until Lady Rose comes back to us. She will not die, is that clear, Kevin?" Cien demanded.

"Aye, Cien. Clear enough." Kevin stood, and moved away from Rose and out of the room.

Cien sat down on the chair near her bed and held her hand in his. "My dearest Rose," he said, a fine mist coming to his eyes. "I have failed you."

It was the last coherent thing he said for a long time.