Highland Magic Ch. 20

Story Info
Learning the truth about things.
1.1k words
4.79
17.2k
4

Part 20 of the 34 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/30/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was taking entirely too long. Cien closed his eyes and grit his teeth as he listened to the Buchanan and the Hamilton squirming over some pitiful aspect of their plot. "By Saint. Timothy's teeth!" Cien roared finally tired of the bickering. He stood from the Laird's chair and stomped over to the two over grown children.

"Tis my plan and it shall be carried out to my specifications. UNDERSTOOD?!" The Hamilton backed a few steps away, knowing what was good for him. The Buchanan scoffed.

"Cien yer entirely too hot headed. If we follow this plan accordingly, yer not only gonna kill yer men, but ours as well," he said motioning to the other men. "Ye need to stop and think this through. Yer gonna kill us all with yer idiotic ideas."

With a growl, Cien picked the man up by his neck and tossed him away. "Anyone else think my plan needs more thought?" No one said a word as the Buchanan stood slowly shaking himself.

"We leave within the hour."

He stomped out of the hall and into the bailey. It was raining, and the only men out were the stable boys running from the hall to the stables to ready the numerous horses. He stopped in the middle of the mud soaked field and tried to calm himself.

It had been a week since Rose had been taken, and it had been a hellish week. He had outlined his plan on the first night the Hamiltons, Buchanans and MacBains had arrived. It had been nothing but bickering over it ever since. He'd stayed up all night every night unable to sleep. Wondering what her fate was. Was she already dead? Had they burned her, or had they let her live?

He raised his head to the sky and let the pounding rain wash over him. Maggie had come to him last night and frustrated him further with her tales of Rose.

She'd some to his chamber after he'd retired, and sat down in front of his fire. "Healer, what is it you wished to speak to me about?" Maggie had only smiled, warming herself with the fire.

"Who found our Lady Rose when she first came to the keep, Cien?"

He thought for a moment. "My cousin Kevin, I believe." Maggie smiled.

"Do you remember when he brought her?"

Cien nodded and looked into the fire. "He was holding her in his arms and I bid him take her up to a chamber and see her fixed properly. We sent for you soon after."

Maggie held her hands out to the fire and watched it closely, never looking at Cien.

"Do you remember how she clothed herself?"

Cien shook his head, but stopped. "Aye, she was wearing a strange fashion of breeches and a strange tunic. Her boots were odd as well." He shrugged. "Her mother is English and her father a Lowlander. I thought that excuse enough for her oddities."

Maggie didn't say anything for a long time. Only sitting close to the fire on the small stool, holding her hands to the fire. Finally, she dropped her hands to her lap and sighed.

"I had thought you smarter than this, Cien."

Cien's head snapped up at the remark. "Smarter than what, Healer. Watch you words carefully, lest you insult me again." He warned.

She only chuckled. "My dear Cien, our Lady Rose is odd is she not? Her original manner of dress? The manner in which she speaks? Find ye not this odd?"

Cien shrugged. "Nay. Her mother is an Engl-"

"Nay Cien. Her mother is nary English or Scots. She's American." Cien looked at her quizzically.

"What the devil is an American?"

"America is a country far to the west of us, across the great ocean."

Cien shook his head. "I have ne'er heard of such a place, Healer. I think ye've drunk to much wine this eve."

Maggie chuckled again. "Nay Cien. Tis you who is blind. Your lady Rose is not Lady Rose at all. Her Christian name is Regan Sheppard." Cien watched her carefully, and the Healer watched him just as carefully. "What I am about to tell ye is hearicy, Cien, and if ye tell any tis I who will burn." Cien only watched her. "Lady Regan is not of this time."

Cien didn't have a reaction. "Not of this time."

Maggie sighed impatiently. "Aye, Cien. She comes from the year of our lord Christ, 2007." Cien stared at her blankly for a few minutes before standing and looking down at her.

"Rose is from the future?"

Maggie nodded. He was finally beginning to understand. "Aye, Cien. Need you proof."

"Aye." He said shortly.

Maggie stood and retrieved a bag she'd kept at her side since the day Regan had stepped into their time. She opened it and pulled the small contraption out. Handing it over to Cien, he look it hesitantly.

"What be this?" He asked, running his fingers over it carefully.

"It is called a 'watch'." Cien raised an eyebrow at her. "It tells the hours of the day."

"The hours of the day? But the sun is gone down for the night."

"Aye, that is the point, Cien. It tells you the time of the day or night." She pulled it away from his fingers. "Like this," She said and pressed a button that made it light up with a green light.

"Jesu!" Cien yelled and stumbled backward.

"Don't curse, young man!" Maggie scolded him.

Cien approached it again slowly, a hand on his sword. "What kind of magic is this?" Maggie smiled. "No magic at all. It is called technology."

"I thought it was a watch?"

Maggie smiled. "You believe me then?"

Cien looked up at her and then back down at the watch. He looked at it for a few moments before slowly nodding his head. "Aye, she is from the future, or a witch. And surely not a witch."

Maggie smiled at him. "There is the clever boy I knew was in there."

As the rain pelted down on his face, Cien wanted to yell. Raising his arms into the rain he let it fall on him. So Rose was Regan, and Regan was from the future. He tried to wrap his mind around it. He'd tried all the night long, but he knew it was going to take him some time to fully understand. And now, he knew he had to get Regan, if only to return her to her own time.

But damn him to the devil, he wanted her here. He wanted to keep her here with him always. He dropped to his knees, burying his hands in the muddy ground. He was a selfish bastard, and he knew it. But he wanted so desperately to make her his.

Damned to the Devil he would be then.