Highwaymen Ch. 06

Story Info
What's in a name? An old flame.
2.1k words
4.7
11.5k
2

Part 6 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 08/19/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was an hour or so later that the two companions led their steeds out onto the road. Once mounted, Jamie urged his mare into a walk, heading west, where he had originally been headed what now seemed so long ago. Only last night! Joanna held her stallion in check as she watched, and called out to him "Jamie! Not that way!"

He pulled up, and turned to face her, but did not retrace his steps. "Why not?" His tone betrayed some impatience.

"That way is to take the hot route. It would be wiser to headawayfrom the scene of my last night's business."

"Oh!" He nudged the mare back into a walk, then a trot, and passed the girl where she waited, as she fell in beside him. They rode in easy silence for a while. He was thinking about his lack of funds. All his money was gone. That was why he had left the inn so silently in the dark evening yesterday. He needed to refill his purse, and now that his pistol and rapier were restored to him he could find a use for them if a target offered itself.

He glanced at his pretty companion now and again. Seeing her in the daylight he decided she was indeed only twenty-one or twenty-two. And God! Pretty was not strong enough a word. Striking, beautiful even? Her hair cascaded in waves over her shoulders in a red-brown storm, to the middle of her back. She still wore the constricting corset to aid her disguise as a man, but as he looked at her flattened chest he remembered how the flesh trapped there had peeked out in delicious allure when he took her on the ground. He sighed.

She caught his glances from the corner of her eye, but gave no sign she was aware of his attention. Inwardly she smiled. He had surprised her this morning, taking her in hand like that! It had been so much better than the games she had played with lovers in the past. He had made a reality of something she had merely played at before. Her breasts rose, and she felt the tight uncomfortable squeeze of the corset. Well! There was more in him than she had first thought? Then it would be all the more fun to tame him! She did not doubt for a moment that it would be done. As she thought of his indignation at her commanding manner she laughed involuntarily.

He looked at her curiously. "Why are you laughing girl?"

She jerked out of her reverie in surprise, and turned her head to him. Wondering how she should answer, she decided it might be fun to tell the truth. "I was thinking of how it annoys you when I am commanding in my manner with you."

"And that amuses you!" He was indignant.

"Well ... yes, to tell the truth. And will you not call me girl. I think you should have learned already that I'm at least as old and wise as you in a number of ways!"

"Will I not call you girl - please?" He countered, his smile suddenly taking on a boyish impertinence.

"Sir! Will you make a Ladybegto be addressed properly? I had thought better of you."

His response was such a look of feigned hurt and indignation that she dissolved into giggles.

He returned seriously. "I will try not to call you girl. Though I mean the address as no mark of disrespect Lady."

Her giggles stopped abruptly. "Oh Jamie, don't take me so seriously. I'm afraid you have a manner invites me to tease you." Her eyebrows arched suggestively at the word "tease".

He smiled back, and then fell once more into wondering about his young companion. He resolved that, the next time they sat at ease, he would ask for payment in kind for his own brief life story. He thought back to how easy they had been with each other, sitting there by the fire eating, after their three such fervent couplings of the previous few hours. And that fucking! He had not felt so wholly animal, so completely beyond his mind's control, in all his life. Although he had taken other women with vigour enough, his couplings with this Joanna seemed to transcend all bounds of reason and restraint.

-

Two hours or so later they were approaching the village and the inn which Jamie had abandoned stealthily the previous day. He was not inclined to risk being seen in the village. No doubt the innkeeper would have told all and sundry how the dark-clad gentleman had disappeared without having paid a penny of his bill. Jamie pondered what to tell Joanna. He did not wish to admit the truth to her, as he suspected she would be less than impressed. Finally, desperate to avoid the place before they became recognisable, he turned towards her. "Joanna" he began, not knowing quite what he would say, "I would prefer not to be seen here. Will you ride around this village with me?"

As it happened she did not question him. No doubt she assumed it was something to do with his highwayman's activities. "Yes indeed Sir, it is no hardship." He felt a little awkward under the warm smile which she directed to him.

It was another hour or more before they came across the next village. The inn here was one which Jamie had frequented when last he had been in funds, and he remembered it with some affection. A certain serving-wench had caught his eye during his sojourn there, and she had not been averse to his advances. He had also enjoyed a few games of cards and dice with some of the local gentry under that roof. He turned to Joanna "What say we stay here for today? I know this inn. It is a warm and friendly place."

She shook her head, then laughed at his crestfallen expression. "Oh come Sir, let me buy us lunch there. Then I'll replenish my supplies and show you good fare at our evening encampment." He nodded, brightening somewhat.

They rode through into the inn-yard and handed their mounts over to a young ostler, with instructions to feed and groom them well. On an impulse Jamie offered his arm to Joanna, and she laid her hand upon it. Thus they entered the house. It was almost deserted, apart from two labourers sat at one bench in the far corner with a mug of ale apiece. The innkeeper advanced towards them, eager to augment his guests. He was a middle-aged man, rather portly, cleanly dressed, and welcoming in manner. "Sir. Mistress. How may I help you?"

Jamie started to speak, but Joanna squeezed his arm gently as she cut in "Bring us food and drink to refresh us. We have been travelling much these past days and have had little chance to eat well. My companion Jamie here is famished it seems."

At mention of his name Jamie immediately stiffened and flushed slightly. Damn! He had forgotten that his names would not tally!

"I can offer cold meats and cheese, fresh bread, and fruit My Lady, if that will suffice? I'm afraid there will be nothing hot 'til evening."

"That will be good enough. Wine please for me. And for you too Jamie?" Her consort looked embarrassed and glanced rather guiltily at their host. She wondered at it.

He nodded "Aye ... wine for me too."

The innkeeper bustled off. Jamie led her to a table near the hearth, where a low fire burned. He held a seat for her and seated himself opposite.

She looked at him piercingly. "Jamie! Something is up, you are ill at ease. Will you tell me why?"

He shook his head. "No, it's nothing."

She reached out for his left hand which rested on the table, grasping it and squeezing pleasantly. "I can read people. I read you easily!" She began to idly stroke the back of his hand with a fingertip. "Come ... tell me what it is. If we are partners we should be open with each other, should we not?"

He shook his head. Seeing his awkwardness over this matter she let it drop for the moment.

The food arrived, and the wench who brought it was comely, a year or two older than Joanna, and well proportioned. Indeed, somewhat generously proportioned in certain appointments, Joanna noticed with interest. Hmmm ... she looked like fun. The girl suddenly stopped, looking at Jamie. She smiled very warmly at him, and opened her mouth to speak, but he squirmed, and almost imperceptibly shook his head. Dammit! Joanna thought. So has he been there before me? Well I'll not make things easier for him.

Joanna addressed him, "Jamie?" The girl started at sound of the name, then set the last of the dishes down and departed. "Are you well?"

"Yes Joanna, I'm fine!" He spoke sharply. She could hear anxiety in his voice. Suddenly she laughed. "You really are not good at secrets Sir. Ever since we came in you have been jumping like a scared cat whenever I use your name. Tell me ... what is the name by which you went here?"

"Dammit Joanna!" he looked angry, then burst out. "You're right I'm not so good at subterfuge. They know me as Terence."

She looked directly into his face. "And I know you as Jamie, and I have only known you a day, though rather more intimately than many. But perhaps there is another here may also claim that?"

He went red, and now she laughed. "An open book!" She said it with an air of triumph. "Don't you try to hide things from me Sir, I will find them out and then I will seek retribution."

"Well, now you know. Umm ... Joanna?"

"Yes? Now I suppose you will tell me that your life story was a pack of lies and you are really a common thief?" Her tone was light, but her stare piercing. "Tell me what you must. But let it be truth this time!"

"I have told you the truth, except for my name. It is indeed Terence."

Her eyes flashed anger. "Why did you lie to me about that?"

"I don't know." He fell silent.

She felt piqued that he had lied to her, and more annoyed that it had been such a trivial thing as his name. Also, she was piqued that she had taken him at his word, unquestioning. She stayed silent whilst they ate in a strained atmosphere at odds with the ease in which their company had been shared before. He looked miserable, guilty, and that at least mollified her somewhat.

When the wench came back to clear away, Joanna suddenly spoke to her. "What is your name girl?"

"Rosie, Ma'am." The girl met Joanna's bold stare without evasion.

"And you known my companion?"

She looked awkwardly towards him. He nodded reluctant permission to proceed.

"Yes Ma'am." Rosie replied.

"And his name?"

The girl swallowed, looking sideways at Terence as she answered, "Terence, Mistress."

Joanna's smile became suddenly sweet. "And you enjoyed his embraces?"

She was pleased at the reward of Terence's hissed breath. As the wench responded "Ma'am?" Joanna turned to Terence, her voice low and tinged with anger. "Ask her to tell me the truth please,Terence." Then she turned back to regard the girl as her companion muttered his permission through his gritted teeth.

Joanna composed her face into a knowing but conspiratorial smile, and listened as Rosie admitted the little liaison. Some gentle but pointed questioning elicited the facts that it had been recent, casual, and short-lived.

Joanna leaned towards the girl and whispered something in her ear. Jamie strained to hear it, but could not. Rosie giggled, and then as the whispering continued, her mouth formed an O and her eyes went wide. She glanced towards Terence and then back to Joanna. More whispering ensued, with both girls giggling. Terence shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

Joanna suddenly sat back. "Well Terence my friend, I think I will fall in with your wishes. We will stay here tonight. Rosie and I will have a little tete-a-tete later, won't we Rosie?"

The girl flushed a little, clearly not understanding the phrase. "Umm ... yes Ma'am."

Terence sat there seething. Damn this woman! She was too much. Now she was interfering with his buxom little wench. Well, he would have Rosie, then take Joanna again, and show her once and for all who was going to be in charge during their partnership.