Hoary the Horny Snowman

Story Info
A tale of a lonely widow, her son and an unusual friend.
14.8k words
4.51
16.3k
34
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rutger5
rutger5
472 Followers

(HOAR adjective: white or grayish white in color, usually as a result of age or frost.)

(HORNY slang: feeling sexy, sexually excited, or easily aroused sexually.)

Hoary The Horny Snowman

By rutger5 (An Original Story - Copyright 2013)

*****

"Mom, I'm going outside to play. Don't worry, I'll be back before dark," Tommy called out as he pulled on his worn winter coat.

"Wait a minute young man," came the sound of his mother's voice in response. "Let me see how you're dressed first."

A minute later she came down the stairs wearing her pajamas with a pale blue terry cloth robe over them even though it was mid-afternoon. She looked at her only child then shook her head disapprovingly.

"First of all Tommy Jones where are your mittens and hat? Plus you still need to tell me where it is you're going," she said as she bent down and adjusted the zipper on his coat, pulling it all the way up to his elfin chin.

"Oh Mom, stop fussing with me. I'm not a baby anymore," Tommy told her with an exasperated tone to his voice.

"I know that honey but it's a mother's job to worry about her little man. Besides its cold out and I don't want you to get sick from not being properly dressed for the weather."

"Don't worry, I was going to wear my hat anyway," he lied as he pulled it from the pocket of his coat and placed it on his head. "I'm just going to the backyard to play in the snow. Maybe later if I get bored I'll go and see if James wants to come out."

"That's fine Tommy; just make sure you don't go any further than James' house."

James Durante was one of Tommy's best friends in the whole wide world and the neatest part was he lived only a block and a half away so Tommy could go to his house all on his own. But right then Tommy wasn't looking to play with James; for some reason he wanted to be alone that frigid Sunday afternoon.

His mother kissed him goodbye on the cheek before closing the door behind him. She watched from the window next to the door as he stomped down the stairs before turning onto the walkway that ran between their home and the empty foreclosed house next door. A little later after eating breakfast she looked out the kitchen window and in spite of her melancholy mood the woman had to smile as she watched him running around playing in the narrow fenced in backyard. She wished that she could be so carefree again, if only for an afternoon.

She decided to jump in the shower and then get dressed but when she turned to leave her gaze fell upon the half empty bottle sitting on top of the refrigerator. Unable to stop herself she opened it before removing a glass from the cabinet and pouring herself a double of the clear, potent liquid. She drank it straight down without stopping and as she felt the warmth radiate internally she poured herself another glass. The second one she drank at a slower pace but it still disappeared too soon for her liking.

What was the point in getting dressed anyway? She had no plans since it was her day off and she'd already promised Tommy they could order pizza for dinner. No, she might as well just spend the day in her bedroom with her now almost constant companion. It was always there for her and while it couldn't make her totally forget, it did help to deaden the still omnipresent pain. So with the bottle in one hand and the glass in the other, Mrs. Jill Jones retreated back to her warm and welcoming bed.

Meanwhile her son continued to play unaware of what she was doing, not that he was old enough to fully comprehend anyway. Tommy knew that she'd changed a lot in the last two years ever since that evening when the policeman came knocking on their door. She used to be almost always happy and now she seldom smiled; the only exception being that Tommy could still draw one from her on occasion with something cute he said or did.

Right then he was pretending to be Naruto, the main character from his favorite cartoon. As he ran around in circles he imagined he was fighting all the Akatsuki, the bad guys who gave Naruto a hard time. When he became bored of that he tried to resume work on the snow fort he'd begun the previous week when it first snowed. But since then there'd been a few warmer days which had melted away much of the accumulation. Now with below freezing temperatures all weekend what was left was a small frozen mound.

"Gee willikers! This snow is too hard to work with," he thought to himself. "I need some softer snow and more of it."

No sooner had he thought this than a light bulb went on over his head. Tommy knew exactly where he could get what he needed so he went to the shed against the house and entered it. A minute later he was pulling his little red wagon over the lumpy, frozen snow alongside the house. He turned left when he reached the sidewalk and it was a good thing for him his mother was currently becoming inebriated, for James lived in the opposite direction.

The cherubic tyke whistled as he walked, the wagon clattering behind. When he reached the corner he was careful to look both ways before he crossed like his mother had taught him. There was barely any traffic with it being Sunday so he had no problem reaching the other side. He continued walking until reaching the abandoned property which was girded by a high chain link fence topped with razor wire.

Tommy knew his mother wouldn't be happy if she found out he was going there but it was perfect for what he needed. Besides he'd gone there sometimes with James and his older brother Frank and nothing bad had ever happened to them. He walked along until reaching a spot where the fence had been cut leaving a small gap. Due to his size he easily slipped through, though he had to hold the fence with one hand in order to squeeze the wagon inside as well.

Once he did he was unable to drag the wagon much beyond the fence for a large amount of snow had blown into a high drift caused by the north wind's blowing. Tommy began to scoop handfuls of the snow and put it in his red wagon but even before it was full he realized that it might be a lost cause. The small amount that it could hold would necessitate him making multiple trips back to his yard in order to transport enough to complete the fort. So the boy sat down in the snow and pondered.

Within five minutes another idea came to him, this one even better. While there was no point in constructing a fort here, there was something he could build instead; something that reminded him of past, happier times. He remembered when he was younger and along with his mom and dad they'd built the best snowman ever. Truthfully his parents did most of the work with Tommy lending a hand here and there but it had unquestionably been 'his snowman'. Most importantly he'd been the one who decided how to decorate it and everyone knows that's what determines the snowman's personality.

Inspired by his idea Tommy started work immediately. He carried the wagon as he worked his way behind the drift so none could see him from the street. With the sun shining down on the open ground between the shuttered chemical factory and the snowdrift he tirelessly toiled on the task at hand. Within an hour he'd made three snow spheres from the largest for a base to the smallest for the head. Getting the middle section onto the base had been difficult but he persevered until it was accomplished. Unfortunately due to the large size of his unfinished creation Tommy was unable to reach high enough to place the head on top.

No matter what he tried was unsuccessful, whether it was jumping and putting it there or standing on his wagon and reaching up. Either he still couldn't reach high enough or the head would roll off to the ground; in one case breaking into pieces. He was about to give up when he noticed a row of objects standing alongside the graffiti scarred, boarded up building. They were closed top, fifty-five gallon steel drum barrels used for storing both liquids and solids in a variety of industries, not that Tommy knew about such things. All he saw was something that was high enough for him to reach the top of the snowman if he were standing on it.

Of course moving one to where he needed was easier said than done. For the most part snow wasn't a problem. For between melting and the wind creating the snow drift the ground between the building and the snowman was almost clear. Rather it was that Tommy just wasn't strong enough to maneuver one to where he wanted. Even if empty it would be difficult for him to move and those full proved impossible for the precocious tyke.

In frustration he kicked the drum located at the end of the row and to his surprise it moved slightly. When he then attempted to shift it from the wall he found that he was able to. It was still difficult but this particular barrel wasn't full so with much toil and considerable luck he succeeded in moving it next to his snowman. Tommy then placed his wagon alongside the drum and used it to climb onto the barrel and once there he was able to place the head where it belonged.

Satisfied with its body Tommy knew he now had to find all the personal touches that would make it more than just snow but a real snowman. Taking his wagon he hurried home and while returning it to the shed he removed a number of charcoal briquettes from their bag and slipped them in his pocket before going inside. His mom was still in her room but he knew where at least some of what he sought could be found. He crept up to the attic and did his best to be quiet to not disturb his mother below as he searched.

There was an old wardrobe up there that dated back to his grandparents' time and it was there he first looked. Almost immediately he found an old scarf he could use and after further digging he came up with a vest with four antique silver buttons which he also took. Finally after burrowing under some pants Tommy discovered an old belt that had belonged to his grandfather. He'd been a portly man late in his life and it appeared large enough to encircle the snowman's considerable girth.

The only item he still needed from the attic was a hat but the only one he found just didn't feel right to him. He vaguely remembered seeing one that was perfect on an earlier foray of his to the attic. He couldn't recall where until it finally came to him. His grandfather had been something of a junk collector during his lifetime and on more than one occasion he'd brought home boxes of things he'd found or bought at garage sales and the like. It was one of those times that he'd discovered a crate belonging to a former vaudevillian magician named Melvyn the Magnificent. It contained many props for magic tricks but also a cape, a magic wand and a silken top hat.

Tommy located the crate and opened it after first clearing off a couple of boxes on top of it. His eyes widened with wonder as they fell upon the sought after chapeau. It was a truly spectacular specimen of evening dress from a bygone era in its elegance and craftsmanship. He found himself lifting it gingerly to avoid damaging it. He was about to close the crate when he noticed the wand out of the corner of his eye. He couldn't explain why but something compelled the boy to take it as well.

With his finds secured Tommy then went to the kitchen and opened the fridge. In the bottom shelf was a bag of carrots which he removed and after examining them all he chose the one he thought was perfect for a nose. It wasn't too long or too thin but instead was short and thick, being around four inches long with a similar circumference. Then he placed all the items in his school backpack save the hat which he didn't wish to chance crushing, before heading back outside.

Again he took the same route and it was only after he'd crossed the street that he realized he'd forgotten about arms. A moment of indecision followed while he thought about what to do when fate intervened and gave a helping hand. Though the day was cold for the most part the weather had been calm, but at that instant a sudden gust of wind came from the north chilling young Tommy. As he shivered beneath its icy breath there was a loud cracking sound nearby and seconds later a large branch crashed to the ground twenty feet away.

Before it even settled Tommy was on his way toward it and realized as soon as he reached it his wish had been granted. For there were a number of smaller branches that grew from the main one and some of them seemed ideal for his need. In fact one of them had broken off when it hit the ground so he only needed to remove one. It wasn't easy for the child as the branch had been living until the wind sheared it off but his perseverance was rewarded and now he had two slightly mismatched 'arms' firmly in his grasp.

A few minutes later he stood by his snowman and he began to personalize it. First he put the vest over the middle section and buttoned it closed and it fit like it was made for the snowman. Next came placing the belt below the vest before he tackled the arms. The boy examined both branches and neither was straight but instead each had a bend that resembled an elbow joint and the best part was at the ends were a number of tiny finger like twigs.

In fact one had exactly five tiny splayed branches with one offset like a thumb so Tommy used that first. It was shorter and thicker than the other branch and when he slid it into the snow it went in smoothly and appeared almost as if they fused together. The other was longer though not as thick and at the end there were eight twigs.

Tommy broke off three twigs leaving on the five that made it most resemble a hand and then inserted it into the body of the snowman. With that done he again climbed onto the top of the drum so he could make the face. The charcoal briquettes were used both for the eyes and the mouth while of course the carrot served as a nose. The three removed twigs weren't discarded but in a flash of inspiration they became eyebrows and a pencil thin mustache. Next came the long scarf which he wrapped below the head with the excess draping over the vest.

Finally the silk hat was placed on top and it fit perfectly. After climbing down Tommy gazed up at his creation with wonder. He had almost forgotten about the wand but then remembered and slipped it between the twig fingers which remarkably held it in place. All that was left now was to give the snowman its name.

He thought long and hard about it, considering then discarding a hundred names for one reason or another. It had to be a name that reflected its nature without being too cutesy while also being original. Then it came to him - a blast from the past. Back when still alive his dad loved to listen to music, so often Tommy would hear it as they spent time together. One of his dad's favorite bands had been Siouxsie and the Banshees and one of their songs contained a word Tommy didn't know the meaning of. So he had asked his father who'd explained what it meant.

"It's perfect" he called aloud. "I know what to call you - you're Hoary. Hoary the Snowman!"

Tommy smiled when he said this as somehow it made him feel close to his dad though he was now in heaven watching down. He felt so happy he even did a little impromptu dance until he slipped on a patch of ice and fell on his butt. That did nothing to dampen his high spirits for as soon as he hit the ground he started to laugh with good cheer.

Then for the next hour he talked to his snowman, partially about silly things but he also shared some of his own hopes and fears. Before he knew it the sun had almost set as he'd forgotten about time while he confided in his new friend. Tommy realized he had to hurry home before his mother started to worry where he was and possibly call the Durante house looking for him. With a wave to Hoary he turned to go but not before saying bye.

"Good night Hoary but don't worry, I'll come and visit you tomorrow. I have to go to school but afterwards on my way home I'll stop by."

The next day he couldn't wait until school was over and because of that the day seemed to drag. Eventually the final bell rang and he rushed out the door while still pulling on his coat. He dragged James with him to see his new friend so naturally James' big brother Frank accompanied them. However once they'd climbed around the snowdrift the snowman was nowhere to be seen though the barrel remained.

"I'm telling you, he was right here. I swear it! I don't understand what happened to him."

"Maybe he melted Tommy. He was made of snow, right?" James replied.

"No, that can't be it. It wasn't that warm today and he was way too big to melt that fast."

"I'll tell you what happened, you little weirdo," Frank interrupted, upset that he was freezing his ass off while waiting for his brother. "That drum you used to climb on, do you have any idea what was in it? Because it leaked out the bottom right onto your snowman and probably disintegrated it. Must have been some kind of toxic waste or something. Look at the label on it, must be some kind of warning. C'mon, let's go guys"

To his horror Tommy saw Frank was right, at least to a point. For Tommy could see a gray, sludge like ooze on the ground that had seeped from the barrel and pooled where Hoary had stood. He hadn't noticed before but the bottom of the drum was dented and corroded. On closer inspection Tommy noticed there was also some kind of multi colored diamond shaped sticker affixed to the barrel though it was too faded to be read easily.

"But wait," Tommy exclaimed, "even if this goop melted the snowman it doesn't explain what happened to his clothes. They can't melt."

"Listen you dumbass, this stuff is mad powerful and probably destroyed the clothes as well. I'm going and so is James and if you have half a brain you'll come too. I don't want to be within fifty feet of this shit."

After saying that Frank grabbed his brother by the arm and headed back the way they'd come. Tommy stood for a moment before he reluctantly followed. Right as he turned the edge of the drift he looked back. For a second he thought he saw movement near the corner of the boarded up plant but as he stood and stared he saw nothing more.

"Tommy, come on!" James called to him.

Shaking his head the boy hurried after them and slipped through the hole in the fence. He was silent the rest of the walk home even as James attempted to cheer him up while Frank teased him mercilessly. Normally Tommy was watched by a neighbor woman from the block, a Mrs. Quimby, after he got out of school until his mom finished work. Once he completed his homework that afternoon he told her he was going to visit James, which was a common occurrence.

"All right Tommy, you can go. Just make sure you're back before your mother gets here to pick you up," the sweet old lady instructed him.

"Don't worry, I will," he replied as he rushed out the door.

He hurried back to the abandoned plant as fast as his short legs could take him and squeezed through the fence. He went to where Hoary had been though he kept a safe distance, for if the toxic sludge had caused what happened then he didn't want to come in contact with it. But Tommy wasn't convinced that was what had happened so he started toward the building.

Once he rounded its corner to his amazement he found Hoary - but he'd been transformed! For a start he appeared larger than before but where previously his bottom section had been like a giant snowball now the top third remained the same but he had two thick snow legs with snow feet descending from there. When the snowman saw Tommy he turned and started to retreat until the boy overcame his shock and called out to him.

"Wait Hoary, don't go! It's me, Tommy. Don't you remember me talking to you yesterday? I'm your friend!"

Like a dog responding to its master's call, the now ambulatory snowman stopped and then cocked his head as the boy spoke. Heartened by this, Tommy rushed forward toward the snowman who turned in his direction. When he caught up to his creation the boy's eyes filled with wonder at the fantastic change that had occurred since he'd made him.

rutger5
rutger5
472 Followers