I do not Think So Again

Story Info
Loyal wife strays.
14.2k words
4.15
231.8k
147

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/11/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Wonderman1
Wonderman1
307 Followers

Thanks to Black Stallion for editing. Any problems with content is completely mine.

*****

My name is Harris and this is my simple story about a marriage that is in trouble.

As marriages go, we seemed to have a good one. Jill and I had been married almost 25 years. Our daughter, Stephanie was in her last year of college and we were both excited and happy because she had already landed a job after graduation. She had studied accounting and had done quite well and was starting in the Washington DC area. We lived in Richmond and would only be a couple of hours away (pending traffic which means it could take from 1.5 to 3.5 hours).

As mentioned Jill and I had been together since our last year at college. We met and dated and fell in love. Nothing very extraordinary about it, but I always felt she and I were soul mates. At least I thought so anyway. I am average and on the thin side about 5'10" and weigh about 170. She was a beauty as far as I am concerned. Jill had beautiful curly red hair and had a proportional figure. She was about 5'5" and had gorgeous green eyes. She was very sweet and somewhat shy.

She told me she did not date much because she wanted to make good grades and did not think partying and getting drunk was conducive to her. I was a bit more the partying type, not overdoing it but fully enjoying the college experience. I was also more outgoing, but she and I fit together just perfectly.

I had two other girlfriends before Jill, one in High School and one in college. One thing about Jill which everyone said was that she was very kind and sweet. I found that true too. Except because of her Irish temper she could dish it out pretty well if she thought she was right. I had been on the other side of that temper a few times and I usually back downed if she dug in her heels about something.

Through the years we both developed into our daily rituals. I worked in retail at a department store and she worked in the city codes department. She was very diligent and had been there over 20 years.

She worked their when she first got out of college and then stayed home for our daughter's first 5 years. The she resumed her career. Dealing with the city had its ups and downs but generally she liked it.

My career was also improving as I had entered the workforce right out of school. We had moved back to our hometown and enjoyed it there. I had offers at other locations, but Jill did not want to leave as her Mother still lived in the area and was getting older.

My parents had both passed away. The losses were difficult as both had died of cancer and it had happened rapidly. It was a big loss for me but Jill and my daughter and her mother were there for me. She loved my parents as well and it was a loss for her too.

I suppose when you have been married for a while you tend to take each other for granted. That was probably the case for each of us. As our daughter had gone to college and was getting ready to move away permanently, I felt this was a good time to start getting back the special times Jill and I had had when we were first married. I had started to take Jill out for a weekly dinner/date. Our love life had become somewhat stale and I thought this would wake up our love again.

Now after reading so many stories about philandering wives and some of the clues something is not right. I never had the slightest idea she would ever put our marriage in trouble. She always did the "right thing" as far as we were concerned.

As I mentioned, I gave her freedom to do as she felt was appropriate and she always did the right thing. I was the one who paid all of the bills and she was the cook and handled all of the household things. We had always been a great partnership and when she wanted to buy something she asked and I did too. If it was a large purchase, we always discussed it first.

As anyone who works in retail, at Christmas we worked unbelievable hours. I was assistant manager of the store and it was not unusual to work 60 hours per week. Jill on the other side did not work as much during the holiday time as she usually had saved up some days off to use at the end of the year. Also, every year her department at the city had a Christmas party and all of the spouses were included. Even though Christmas was busy I always made an appearance at her party just to meet and get to know her colleagues.

Starting in the fall Jill, had started to become a little more aloof. Nothing dramatic but just a little distant. As a man who had been married so long I just dismissed it. However, she started not being interested in any romance.

She did not feel like going out on our weekly dates or if she did she would not watch the movie or care about going out at all. Our love life had slowed down from 1-2 times weekly to 1-2 times monthly. It had happened slowly and even though I still loved our time together she seemed less interested.

She blamed menopause and too much work, but something just was not right. I occasionally had to travel for work and had to go to the corporate office. Then in October I was scheduled to go for a week.

Jill usually hated me to travel and she did not like being alone. However, this time she simply said "ok."

That made me take notice. Her being aloof and her not caring about spending time with me. I asked her repeatedly was she feeling alright. She nodded and said that work was busy and she was tired. I told her to go to the Doctor. She said she would.

As I prepared, to go away for my trip she told me to have a nice time and behave myself. I laughed and said that was a joke because the meetings were long and boring. It was mostly just all the new ideas for the Christmas season being introduced. It was more like a school then anything fun.

I thought it was odd that she asked me to behave because I never gave her a reason for her to believe I would not. As I thought it through, the more I thought about her actions as well as her words, something was obviously wrong.

I asked her if everything was fine and she said yes. I told her I would miss her and she said it was only going to be 5 days. She always hated sleeping alone. Oh my God maybe she was not going to be sleeping alone. I watched her very closely over the weekend, my flight was out on Sunday afternoon and I would arrive back at about dinner time on Friday.

I called a couple of her friends and asked if she had told her anything that something was wrong. Her friend Beth, who was her closest, said she seemed tired but she had not told her anything else.

I also knew Sally, one of her co-workers. I asked Sally if anything at work had changed for Jill. Sally was silent for a minute and I repeated myself.

Then Sally said, "we have a new Manager in our department and he had implemented new rules and everyone was busier."

I thought that was interesting that she never mentioned that to me.

I asked when the Manager arrived and what was his name.

She hesitated and said, "he had only been there for a couple of months."

She did not say his name so I asked again.

Sally told me she, "did not want to get involved."

I was stunned.

"Sally please tell me what is going on. I am very worried about Jill."

Sally reluctantly said his name was "Robert Haverford and he is a big man and very intimidating."

"Sally please should I be worried about this man, how old is he?"

She said, "he is about 35 and handsome and 6'3" and over 200 pounds. He played football in college."

I was now very worried, "Sally please tell me how is he acting toward Jill?"

Sally simply said, "he seems to like her and they go out to lunch at least once a week, but I have not seen anything else."

I was not very happy to hear the news, but I told Sally I appreciated her info.

"Sally one more thing please, I know Jill is your friend but please tell me if anything seems out of character for Jill. Please I need to know, I will never tell her you told me anything."

Sally said she would try. That was not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Now I was in full worry mode. Should I try to confront Jill and ask or find out some more information first. I was leaving in two days and I needed to know more.

I started doing a little research about Robert. I found some information about him that was released by the city as a new hire. He had come from Charlotte and apparently was not married and had 2 sons.

Next, I looked around to find out where he lived. I found that he lived in a neighborhood about 5 miles away. It was nice, but similar to ours. I was trying to remember if anyone I knew lived near him. Maybe they could keep an eye on him while I was away.

Saturday approached, and I was trying to do some detective work and find out more about Mr. Haverford, the handsome football player.

I wish Sally hadn't told me he was handsome or intimidating. That worried me. My wife who was more of a follower might just follow this stud to his bed.

I know I have never had a reason to believe Jill would be unfaithful, but I was just worried by her recent actions.

I also called our daughter and asked if she noticed anything different about her Mom. She said about the same as I did that she seemed a little detached but nothing bad.

I asked her if she could call her and just probe about her job or how things were going, without raising suspicions. I tried to tell Stephanie that I was simply worried about her job and nothing about her boss.

She told me she would call me back after she talked. I continued to plan.

If she was in the early stages I may be able to stop it or at least keep it from going further.

I did some yard work and tried to keep busy. I had my cell phone in case anyone called me.

Jill came out and said she was going to go shopping. I asked if it would be with any one.

She said no and would be back soon.

After she left, I decided to see if I could get into her computer.

As I was working on it, Stephanie called and said she asked Mom straight out if anything at work was causing her some problems. She said she had some issues and they should be resolved soon, but would not elaborate. She also asked her Mom if anyone at work was part of the problem and she answered that it would be taken care of as well.

That did not give me much to go on, but I had to find out more.

As I attempted to get into her computer, she had changed all of the settings and I could not get into it. This just added to my worries.

It appeared that she had deleted all of her old sent messages as well as cleaning out her deleted box.

I wish I could get into her cellphone, but she kept that like she was attached at the hip with it.

As I was starting to get some of my clothes ready for the trip, then it struck me, I should take a drive to Haverford's house and just drive by to see if she decided to run over there.

Jill was dressed normally as if she was going shopping but that may not have meant anything. It only took about 15 minutes to get there and I tried to just drive by and see what kind of car he drove and get his license plate number.

As I pulled down his street, I was watching and there was a car in the driveway. I was not sure what type of car he had but, as he had only been on the job for a few months and the car's plates were from North Carolina, I thought this must be his car, as he had come from Charlotte. He drove a Lexus.

As I thought the city must pay its department manager's well. Jill was an assistant department manager and was pretty well paid. I made a bit more than she did, but not a lot.

Well not seeing another car I drove on and came back home. As I got there my neighbor stopped me outside and we just chatted about the neighborhood.

Tom Johnston was the crime watch captain and was informing me of any activity. Fortunately, everything had been quiet recently.

As I was getting ready to go inside I told him I would be out of town for the week and to please keep an eye out for us. Jill would be home alone and I would appreciate him checking in from time to time.

He said he would and I went inside. Once inside I started a wash for any clothes I might need on my trip. I usually washed my underwear with Jill's to make a full load.

I started looking in the hamper and found some sexy new bras and panties I have not seen before.

Once again everything is starting to add up to a major problem in our marriage.

Now as most men, when I see something new my wife will laugh and say she has had that for a year and I never noticed before. I was positive I had not seen it before. I did check the panties to see if anything was left in it. It just looked regular to me and I washed them.

Jill knows that I love black and red lingerie and have given it to her in the past and she pretty much almost never wore it. Now I see both and wondered when she decided to wear it.

About this time, I heard the front door open and she walked in and came upstairs. I asked if her shopping was a success and she said she really did not find much, but there was a sale at the mall.

As I work at a department store I get an employee and spouse discount and she usually enjoys it. This time she mentioned she didn't find anything. I asked if she went to where I worked and she said she wanted to try some new places. I just shook my head.

At dinner that night the conversation was very quiet. I was thinking about my situation and I think she was too. Both of us on opposite sides.

Jill was a wonderful cook and always made delicious meals. Lately, she had started to just get more prepared food to serve. Sometimes when we were both busy it was fine, but she had not been as busy lately.

I told her I had to go to the store and get some allergy medicine as I suffer with it during the fall and spring. Did she need anything and I would get it.

She gave me a small list of items such as paper towels and toilet paper and other things. I told her I would be back soon.

As I left, with a grin on my face, I told her I would love to spend some time with her that night as I will miss her for the next few days.

Her response was typical lately and she told me she planned to turn in early as she was sleepy and did not sleep well the night before.

So much for romance or even the idea of cuddling. I was amazed and disappointed.

My wife was nothing more than a roommate to me.

What the hell was happening.

When I returned from the store with the items and I was unpacking them she complained about everything I got.

The wrong toilet paper and the wrong paper towels and on and on. I knew what this was, she was trying to start an argument so that we would not be having any romance.

I was speechless.

When in the hell did my loving wife turn into a bitch. She was deliberately trying to start a fight, so she could justify her actions while I was away. I simply shook my head.

As was expected shortly after dinner she went upstairs and was reading a book when I jumped in the shower. As I was dressing into my pajamas, she told me she was very tired and would be turning in soon.

It was 8:30. I simply went downstairs and watched a football game.

I ended up sleeping on the couch that night as it seemed silly to go to bed with an angry wife who was trying to start fights just so she would not have to interact with me in anyway.

I woke up early Sunday morning and fixed the coffee and was reading the paper when she came down later.

Sometimes we went to Church, but with her attitude I had no idea if she wanted to go or not. She promptly dressed and said we would have to leave soon so I needed to get dressed if we were to be on time. So, I did get dressed and was ready in a few minutes.

We went to Church and she acted like my wife of old, being sweet and cordial to everyone.

I was hoping the Reverend would talk about fidelity, but no such luck.

When the service was over we greeted everyone, and headed home again.

On the way home she just pretty much ignored me. As we pulled into the driveway, she left the car and I was going to bring our garbage cans around for Monday morning pickup.

She yelled at me to hurry and open the door as she forgot to take her keys to the house. I opened the door for her and finished my garbage duty.

Once inside, she was fixing a sandwich for herself and was starting to eat. Normally she would ask if I wanted something or she would fix something for both of us.

I proceeded to undress and get into jeans and a sweatshirt. Then I went and made myself a sandwich too and ate in front of the tv.

As I glanced at Jill she was casually reading the paper. Then her cellphone rang and she picked it up and left the room. This woman had more lives than Sybil. No words had been spoken in the time I entered the house.

After lunch I went and got out all of our clothes that I had washed. I folded it and brought upstairs to our bedroom. I folded Jill's lingerie and left it on the bed and I started packing my suitcase for the trip.

When she came up later, I wanted her to know that I had not only seen her lingerie and had folded it for her.

Her only comment was I hoped you washed it on gentle because she would hate to have all of her clothes ruined by my incompetence. I turned and was about to explode.

I was angry and about to tell the witch what she could do with her new panties and bras, but she left the room.

I packed and was getting ready to go. Jill saw me bring my suitcase and carryon bag and place it by the door.

She complained that now she had to take me to the airport and give up her Sunday afternoon.

Usually she was happy to drive me and we chatted about how we would miss each other. This time I knew I would never be happy again with this woman.

I told her, "Never mind, I will drive myself and have a wonderful week."

I was sure she had made plans and could not wait until I was gone. I drove myself and left the house without saying goodbye or our usual kiss.

The trip to Chicago was uneventful and I checked into my hotel room. I was the only one from my particular store there and it gave me chance to meet other people and discuss business.

As much as I hated to travel meeting others was good and rewarding as we shared ideas. I usually gave my wife a call to tell her I was safe, but I didn't and what was the point. She was no longer mine anyway.

I did call my daughter and tell her I was away for a few days and reach me on my cell if she needed anything.

I never heard a word from Jill. I was quite sure she was happy to be away from me. We had a decent dinner and I met others from all over the country. I was tired and needed a good night sleep as I had not slept much the last few nights.

I woke up once in the middle of the night and I burst into tears. I had held all my emotions inside and I finally let it all out. I was so glad I was alone because I knew my marriage was over unless Jill decided I was significant again in some form. I could not live like this.

I cried about my daughter spending each holiday with one parent and then the other. I cried for all of the years we had shared together. Mostly very happy. I finally went back to sleep and got up to start the week of meetings.

I checked my cell and no messages or texts from Jill. Nothing. Talk about a kick to the balls, absolutely nothing from my supposedly loving wife.

The week went by with my meeting and I slowly started to formulate a plan to extricate myself from my marriage.

It was obvious that she was gone and I would never get her back.

I called my attorney and spoke to him about my situation and he said he could prepare some documents if I wanted. After much discussion, he said it would probably be a 50/50 split pretty much. I made just a little more than she did and with our daughter almost out of school, there would not be any more college expenses, as they had already been taken care of.

Wonderman1
Wonderman1
307 Followers