I Made a Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Going into my home office I retrieved the fax, read it over twice and then made a telephone call.

********************

I was having breakfast in the mess hall the morning after meeting with Emily Thornton. I thought to myself about what she had told me about herself. Sure, she was a charming and engaging woman, but she was way out of my league. Better just forget about her.

As I was finishing my second cup of coffee one of the privates who worked in the admin office came up to me and said. "The colonel wants to see you in his office right now, Gunny."

When I showed up I was ushered immediately into Colonel William Jacobs office.

"Have a seat Gunny," I was instructed. Colonel Jacobs picked up a sheet of paper from his desk, read it and then said to me.

"Gunny, Ms Emily Thornton will be released from medical care tomorrow and will be flying home. She will require an escort from here to Ramstein Air Base in Germany. Once there she will be met by someone who will escort her to Frankfurt and will accompany her on a commercial flight back to the states."

"Why me, Colonel? Why was I singled out for this mission?"

"I don't have that answer for you. Will you accept the assignment?"


"Do I have any choice, Sir?"

"Afraid not, Gunny. Get your gear together. You leave tomorrow at 0930."

"Yes sir," I answered. "I'll be sure to see that she gets there safely."

As I stood preparing to leave he handed me a packet. "This is her passport, a couple of her credit cards and some of her personal items, including her cell phone, we recovered from where she was kidnapped."

The following morning I met Emily at the airfield, returned her passport along, the credit cards and the rest of her belongings to her and we boarded. I managed to snag a window seat and the accompanying seat next to it right by the emergency exit. Settling into our seats Emily grabbed my hand as we rolled out for take-off. Once we were safely in the air she loosened her seatbelt and laid her head on my shoulder.

Flying on a military transport with a large group of noisy service personnel excited to be starting on their journey home is not conducive to any type of intimate conversation.

Speaking directly into my ear she said, "I was so nervous about going home that I didn't sleep well last night. Do you mind if I close my eyes for a bit?"

I nodded my consent. Still holding my hand she reached over with her other hand and grasped my arm. In spite of the loud talking all around us she managed to doze off as she snuggled even closer to me.

I thought to myself what it would be like if we could share moments like this forever. Then reality set in as I knew that in a few short hours she would leave, continuing on the second leg of her journey.

When we arrived at the Ramstein Air Base we de-planed and I walked with her into the terminal where she was to meet her escort for the remainder of her trip home. Instead we were greeted by a two-star general.

There was a change in plans. The escort scheduled to accompany her was unable to fulfill his obligation. The general handed me new orders along with an envelope containing travel documents and instructions. Then he wished us a safe journey and left. I failed to notice the big smile on Emily's face when she heard about the change in plans.

Grasping my arm she looked up at me and said, "looks like you are stuck with me for a few more days."

"Appears so," I replied, secretly pleased by the turn of events that would allow me to continue living in my fantasy world. "I promise that I will see you safely back home."

In the envelope that the general gave me were two train tickets for travel between Ramstein and Frankfurt. Once we arrived in Frankfurt the instructions said to take the S-Bahn (surface rail) from the Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) to the airport. From there we were to go to the Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport. The accommodations were prepaid. Then the following morning we were to go to the Lufthansa counter in Terminal One to acquire our tickets and boarding passes for the flight to Boston's Logan International Airport. A car would be waiting to take Emily to her home in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

********************

Rick took my hand and led me toward the waiting train at the Ramstein Station. Since it was a local we would have to change trains twice once in Landstuhl and the second change at the Mannheim Hauptbahnhof. The first two legs of our journey went smoothly. The trains were crowded so all we pretty much could do was gaze out the window at the German countryside.

As we were walking through the Mannheim station toward the track that the Frankfurt train would depart from a crazed man with an automatic rifle came running toward us shouting 'Allahu Akbar . . Allahu Akbar'. Before I knew what was happening Rick pushed me to the floor and threw his body on top of me.

I was aware of bullets striking the pavement all around us. Then I heard additional volleys of automatic weapons firing. German security had reached the scene and killed the man.

Rick rolled off of me and asked if I was okay. Before I could answer I saw blood all over his chest. Somehow I managed to pull him to a sitting position, wrapping my arms around him and crying hysterically.

"I love you," were the last words he spoke to me as his eyes closed.

********************

"NO...NO...NOOOOOOOOOOO!! GOD, NO!" I screamed holding Rick's lifeless body as his blood ran down my arms.

I never felt the hands that pried me away from Rick's body. A blanket was wrapped around me as I watched several men place Rick's body on a gurney and rush him away.

One of the men yelled something in German that I didn't understand. Then another man helped me to my feet and we began running to keep pace with the two pushing Rick to a waiting ambulance. He was alive, just barely, but alive.

When we arrived at the hospital Rick was rushed into surgery. I sat outside the operating room waiting for several hours while the doctors worked feverishly to save his life.

I called my father telling him what had happened.

"I'll leave your mother for a day or two with a nurse and I will be there as soon as I can to bring you home, pumpkin."

"No, daddy. Stay with mom. She needs you more than ever now. No matter how everything turns out I'm staying here by myself. For the first time in my life there is someone more important than me."

Before Rick was wheeled into the operating room they gave me his personal possessions to hold. I went through his wallet and found his mother's phone number.

Then I made the hardest phone call I ever made in my entire life.

"Hello, Mrs. Steiger. My name is Emily Thornton. I have some very bad news about your son."

I explained to her the circumstances that resulted in her son being shot. She started crying so I gave her several moments to compose her self. As soon as she settled down I continued telling her that her son was in surgery but the prognosis was not encouraging. I told her to get her passport and go to the airport. I would arrange to have an airline ticket waiting there for her.

When she told me she didn't have a passport, never needed one, it complicated things. This was a problem my father, even with all of his connections, could not fix. I promised her I would call her immediately with any news of a change in his condition as soon as I leaned of it.

Five hours later I called her back. Rick had come through surgery and the doctors said the next seventy-two hours would be critical for his recovery. I called every few hours with updates on his condition. We soon were on a first name basis. No more Mrs. Steiger. She was now Barbara and I was Emily.

The hours stretched into days and the days into weeks before he was well enough be released from the hospital. Now it was me who would be escorting him home. I secured a car and driver to take us to Frankfurt Airport. I didn't want to take the train. Too many bad memories.

When we were safely on our way I told Rick that I would take him home first and then would make my own way home afterward.

He looked at me and simply said. "NO. I made you a promise that I would see you safely back to your home and I fully intend to keep my word."

When we arrived at the airport I had the driver drop us off at the 'Squaire' where the Hilton Garden Inn was located.

Our original reservations had long since expired so I had called ahead to secure new ones. I was told that there was only one room available. I had no choice but to book it.

We checked-in at the front desk and went up to our room. Rick opened the door for me and stepped into the room after I entered.

"Uh Oh. Looks like we have a problem." He remarked.

"There's only one bed. Well, I'll just sleep on the floor. It won't be the first time or, if you prefer, I'll spend the night in the lobby."

"You'll do neither, Rick. It's a king size bed. Plenty of room for the two of us. I promise not to attack you in the middle of the night. But that's a promise I may not be able to keep," I smirked.

It took all the will power I possessed, but I was able to keep my word. Darn it.

I woke early the next morning before Rick. After showering and dressing I slipped out of the room for a few minutes and made a call to my father. I had forgotten about the time differential and his phone rang for quite some time before he answered.

After I explained I was fine and everything was okay I said to him.

"Daddy, I have a big favor to ask." I told him what I wanted. He said he would do what he could.

When I reentered the room Rick was just getting up. "Come on sleepy head. We have a plane to catch."

It was just a short walk from the hotel to Terminal One and the Lufthansa desk. I had already made arrangements for our flight back to Boston/Logan so checking in was a snap especially since we were flying first-class.

With our boarding passes in hand, we cleared the security check point and proceeded to the departure gate. Not long afterward we boarded and took our seats.

Rick looked at me and with some wonder in his voice said,

"Really, Emily, really. First class?"

********************

Flying home in first class with Emily just re-affirmed my earlier belief . . . this woman was way out of my league. I mean two first class tickets probably set her back at least seven grand. This girl spent money like there was no tomorrow. Yep, way, way out of my league.

Eight and half hours later we arrived in Boston. After clearing passport control and customs we entered the arrival hall where Emily spotted someone she recognized.

Taking me by the hand she introduced me. "Rick, this George Samuelson, my dad's right hand man. George, this is Gunnery Sergeant Frederick Steiger the man who saved my life . . . twice."

George shook my hand vigorously, slapped me on the back and said that Mr. Thornton would have accompanied him but that Emily's mother was still recovering from surgery and he did not want to leave her alone.

He walked us out of the terminal to the short term parking lot and, after placing our luggage in the trunk of his car, we set off for Emily's home in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

A little less than an hour later we pulled up to a wrought iron gate that swung open allowing us to drive up to the house. We had no sooner stopped and gotten out of the car when the front door opened and an older man rushed out of the house. Enveloping Emily in his arms I heard him say . . . "Thank God you are home safely, pumpkin. Your mother and I have been so worried about you."

Releasing Emily he grabbed me in a bear hug and exclaimed.

"You must be the man who saved my daughter's life! There is no way I'll ever be able to repay you, but I will damn sure try."

Taking me and Emily by the arm he walked us into the house. Sitting in a wheelchair in the foyer with a blanket over her legs was a woman I took to be Emily's mother. As soon as Emily saw her she broke free from her father and rushed over shouting, "Mom, mom. What are you doing out of bed? Are you okay? George said something about another surgery . . ."

Before Emily could get another word out her mom pulled her onto her lap, hugging and kissing her.

"Calm down pumpkin, calm down. Yes, I have had several surgeries. The first was two days before you were kidnapped. It was partially successful but it encouraged me to continue in the hopes of walking again."

"The second one was just about the time you were to originally come home. That is why your father was unable to go and get you. The final one happened just a few days ago. The doctors told us, looking at Emily's father, that there is no reason I won't be able to resume a full and active life in a few months."

With Emily pushing her mother's wheelchair her father took my arm and we followed them into the sitting room. Emily proceeded to tell her parents the entire story from the time she was taken captive until we arrived in Boston. She did leave out a little of the more descriptive parts of her captivity. I don't think her mother or father could have handled the part of how Mohammad al Shari died.

When she recounted the incident at the railway station in great detail both her mother a father had horrified looks other faces. They interrupted her narrative to ask me how I was. Had I recovered? After reassuring them that I was well on my way to a full recovery Emily finished her story.

At that moment a member of the household staff announced that lunch was ready. After eating I asked Mr. Thornton if he could have George take me back to the airport as I wanted to fly home to my mother and sisters.

He replied, "I am afraid George is not available right at the moment. He is running an errand for me at this time. As soon as he returns we will see about reuniting you with your family."

"Let's all go back to the sitting room." Emily suggested. "We can sit by the fire for a while and relax."

"My wife and I have planned a party tonight to celebrate Emily's safe return. We want you to be a part of this celebration. Please say you will stay," Emily's dad implored.

"I appreciate the invitation and under any other circumstances I would say yes. But I have not seen my mom and sisters in over three an half years. I'm kind of anxious to get going," I said as I stood.

"No, Rick. You have to stay!" Emily exclaimed as she clutched my arm.

That same sentiment was echoed by a voice from behind me. I turned to see my mom standing there. She rushed over and the next several minutes were filled with hugging, kissing and a lot of tears. I will admit a lot of those tears were mine.

"How ever did you get here? I mean I don't understand how did . . ."

"Emily and her father arranged all of it. I received a telephone call very, very early this morning from Mr. Thornton telling me to pack enough clothes for a week and for your sisters to do the same."

"I had to explain that both of your sisters were taking their final exams at the university. I knew they would drop everything to come but I also knew that they had to stay behind and finish their tests.

"Mr. Thornton had arranged for a car to pick me up and take me to the airport."

"This nice man" she continued, nodding at George, "picked me up and drove right here."

"We'll leave you two to catch up with each other." Peter said, escorting his wife and Emily from the room.

Boy did we ever catch up with what had happened since the last time I saw them. Mom told me both my sisters were finishing their last semester of college. They were still living at home for the time being.

"Rick, I want you to stop sending money home. I don't need it anymore. I've been promoted to oversee the entire library system for the county. The job comes with a substantial bump in salary. You have made enough sacrifices in your life for me and your sisters over the years."

"You have more than kept your promise to your father. He would so very proud of you. But now it's time for you to think about yourself."

Just then mom's cell phone rang. It was Robin, the older of my two sisters, calling to find out where mom was. Mom told her what had happened and Robin was so excited, screaming and yelling for Linda to come to the phone.

Mom handed me her phone and, as soon as the two of them had calmed down, I was able to tell them what had been happening. After I had finished explaining everything I asked about their exams. They both had finished two of their final exams and had three more to take to complete the term.

As we finished talking I told them to study hard and I would see them in a few days.

********************

Later that afternoon Emily reminded me about the party for that evening. It was to be held at the country club and was to be a semi-formal affair.

"Please wear your dress uniform for me. I want to show you off to everyone." She exclaimed, kissing me on my cheek, as she skipped off.

When we arrived at the club it appeared that the party was already in full swing. Mr. Thornton, pushing his wife in her wheelchair, led us in. Emily had grasped my arm as we followed. George Samuelson escorted my mother right behind us.

Holy crap there had to be over a hundred people in the room. As soon as the crowd saw us they erupted into cheers and hand capping. Evidently Emily was a very, very popular young woman.

We were soon mobbed by well wishers and admirers. Emily was overwhelmed by her friends. She tried her best to include me, but it was soon apparent her friends were really not interested in me.

There was one guy, he was introduced to me as Quentin Reynolds, as he proceeded to shoulder me aside to embraced Emily. I thought he was a little too familiar and intimate with her.

To her credit she slipped away from his embrace and rejoined me.

"Old boy friend . . . ex-old boyfriend," she whispered. As he moved along he gave me a snotty and condescending look.

After the crowd of well-wishers dissipated Emily excused herself to the ladies room. I took the opportunity to step outside onto the patio for a breath of fresh air. Standing there I thought to myself just how insufferable some of these people were. Many of them didn't even acknowledge my presence in spite of Emily's attempts to include me in the conversations.

Standing at the edge of the patio overlooking the darkened golf course someone grabbed me by the arm, spun me around getting in my face said, "I want to speak to you asshole."

"I don't know who you think you are with Emily falling all over herself hanging on your arm and everything. You think just because you saved her it means something. My tax dollars pay you do that. You're nothing but an ignorant, stupid jarhead. You are not even close to being in her class."

As he continued his tirade he drew a crowd from amongst the guests. Just as I was getting ready to teach this insufferable bastard a lesson Emily, her father and George Samuelson pushed their way through the crowd. The look on Emily's face rapidly changed from shock and horror to anger.

"Quinton Reynolds," she screamed furiously. "How can you say such horrible things? Get out . . get out! Leave right now!"

Now Peter Thornton is not a small man but George was at least five inches taller and fifty pounds heavier. Get the hell out of here right now Quintion!" Peter thundered. "George help this piece of trash out of here."

"With pleasure boss." Then George grabbed Reynolds by his collar and the seat of his pants and frog walked him through the assembled on-lookers throwing him out with a warning not to return.

Peter Thornton quieted the crowd down and announced.

"Sorry about all the commotion folks. Now that we have removed that despicable piece of humanity I need to explain a few things to all of you about this young man."