In Love We Trust

Story Info
Two couples deal with a near affair.
9.8k words
4.19
72.7k
74
146
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks to Carnillia for his helpful criticisms and input, and Crkcppr for his advice. Thanks always to blackrandl1958 for her Sweet Inspiration and editing. Thank you, Pat!

*

My name is Lana Holmes. My husband, Paul, and I were in our early thirties, and had been married for seven years. We were both in middle management in different companies. We both worked hard to stay in shape and were about the same age, though most people would think that I am younger.

I know it sounds immodest, but I have always been an attractive woman and knew how to fend off unwelcome admirers. In the last couple of years, I had become more cognizant of how people perceive Paul and me. While, as I said, Paul and I were very close in age, younger men had been more and more openly coming on to me. I wondered if I had been giving off some sub-conscious signals. The attention started going to my head, and when I got my latest promotion I started to feel entitled.

I had always noticed with disgust how male managers abused their positions of authority to pressure their female subordinates into compromising situations, and swore to myself that I would never do anything like that.

Then, Mark Jacobs was hired and assigned to my group. Although I thought that Mark was attractive, he was several years younger than I was and I loved and was faithful to Paul. Despite my feelings about male supervisors abusing their authority, my attraction to Mark and feelings of entitlement worked against me.

While I tried to be subtle about it, Mark must have been able to tell that I was attracted to him. He started making little comments, complimenting me on my outfits, noticing when I changed my hairstyle, even mentioning how nice my nails looked when I got a manicure.

As the months passed and Mark and I continued working together, his attention was very gratifying and my sense of entitlement grew as we found ourselves growing closer on a personal level. I began making excuses to stop by his desk, leaning my hip into his shoulder, bending over his desk giving him peeks down my top. Soon, I was placing gentle touches on his arm, laughing a little too easily at his bad jokes.

When I invited Mark to join me for lunch, I knew I was crossing a line. I thought to myself, "Well, why not? Haven't male bosses always done the same thing? Besides, it's only lunch!" When I allowed myself to think about what I was doing, I was shocked at my behavior; I was always contemptuous of bosses who abused their power. Then, the thrill of the illicitness over-ruled my better judgement and pushed it into the background.

As our relationship progressed, I began noticing knowing looks from some of our co-workers and realized that we had to cool it around the office. At our next lunch, I said, "Mark, I'm sure it's no secret that there is something going on between us."

Mark laughed, "No, Lana, you've been quite obvious, maybe a little too obvious, and I'm also attracted to you. What are we going to do about it? I know that you are married, and I am, too."

"The thing is, Mark, we have to be very careful. We're both married, and I'm your superior at work. I wouldn't want you to feel pressured in any way. If anyone at work found out, I could be charged with favoritism."

"I understand completely, Lana, and I would never play on our relationship for professional gain."

My opportunity came when our company offered an off-site management-training program that would be helpful in getting my next promotion. Better still, it was not unusual for employees at Mark's level to take the same course, so I could justify taking him with me. This would give me a chance to see if Mark was serious, or was just playing with me.

Soon after I found out about the trip I was having lunch with my best friend, Mary Jones. I had been dropping some subtle hints to Mary about what was going on with Mark, and Mary had cautioned me that I was playing with fire, that Paul loved me deeply but would never tolerate me cheating on him, but I pooh-poohed her concerns.

While we were having lunch, I could hardly contain myself. "Okay, girlfriend," Mary said. "I can tell something has got you wound up, so spill."

"I'm going to do it, Mary!"

"'Do it?' Do what... Oh, no! You're not going to do what I'm thinking?"

"Yup! I'm going to that management training course in Chicago next week, I'm taking Mark along and I'm finally going to see what he's got!"

"Lana, no! Can't you see what you're risking? Paul loves you to death, but it will be the death of your marriage if he ever finds out!"

"I'm going to make sure he never finds out! That's why I'm waiting till we're out of town. It will be just an innocent fling for this trip. As soon as we get back, I'll break it off with Mark."

"What if Mark doesn't want to break things off? You're his boss; he could cause you a lot of grief at work."

"Maybe he could, I suppose, but he's married, too. He won't say anything."

"Well, I hope you're right but you still have more to lose than he does. Good luck, you're going to need it!

I told Paul that I had to go out of town to take a course that I would need to get my next important promotion.

Paul looked at me curiously "You've never had to travel anywhere for a course before," he said. "What's going on, Lana? Is anyone else going to this course?"

"Yes, Paul," I said. "My best friend, Mary Jones, is going. There's also a new employee, Mark Jacobs. I don't think that you've ever met him."

"When will you be leaving?" he asked.

"We're flying out Saturday afternoon. The course starts Monday morning, with a Meet and Greet Sunday. It ends late Thursday, so we'll fly back Friday morning."

I decided to pack on Thursday rather than wait until Friday; I didn't want to risk Paul seeing my "special" items. I giggled softly to myself as I gazed upon the new Victoria's Secret lingerie in my suitcase. Paul walked in unexpectedly and I quickly slammed the suitcase closed.

**********

I didn't say anything, but I found it odd that Lana was packing on Thursday evening when the flight wasn't until Saturday. Her reaction was even odder, and aroused my curiosity.

While Lana showered, I took a quick peek in her suitcase and saw some very sexy lingerie that I had never seen before.

I wondered what was going on. I had always thought that we had a strong marriage, but there was obviously something weird going on. Things got stranger still, when Lana refused my offer to take her to the airport, saying that she would drive herself.

I didn't know exactly what was happening, but I knew that it couldn't be anything good. I called in sick to work on Friday to check some things out. Our marriage obviously wasn't as strong as I thought it was, at least on Lana's part!

After Lana left for work, I waited a bit then drove to Lana's office, found a place to park and waited.

Around lunchtime, Lana came out of the building with a man that I didn't recognize and she had a big smile on her face. I didn't need to be whacked with a 2x4 or to hire a PI. The man was obviously Mark Jacobs and the reason for the fancy lingerie. The only question was, and I wasn't really sure if the answer really mattered, had Lana already had sex with him? I decided to follow them, and as they turned the corner they linked arms. Not good! Still, I was relieved that they just went to a mid-scale restaurant, and one that wasn't located in a hotel.

I pulled myself together, went back to her building and went straight to Lana's office where her secretary was working on some memos.

.

I had met her secretary, Sarah, a few times at various company functions, and while you couldn't exactly call us friends, she had always been friendly toward me.

She looked up, seemed a little shaken up and then said, "Oh, hi, Paul, you just missed Lana; she's gone to lunch."

"I know, Sarah. I saw her." Sarah looked down, unable to meet my eyes. "Tell me, Sarah, who was that man with Lana?" I was sure I knew who he was; I just wanted to see if she would tell me!

"Please, Paul, Lana is my boss and my friend."

"Yes, Sarah, and she is my wife! I have a right to know who she is fucking!"

"No, Paul, I'm sure they're not doing that. He's her new assistant and they work closely together."

"Maybe she hasn't fucked him, yet, but I assume that's Mark Jacobs? He's going with her to the training class?"

Sarah could only nod "Yes."

"Sarah, I need Mark's contact information."

"I... I don't really think I can do that, Paul."

"What do you believe your bosses will think of you helping Lana and Mark carry on their affair?"

"I'm not doing that!"

"You're not? I'd be willing to bet that this isn't the first 'lunch' that Lana has had with Mark. He's her subordinate! The way they were acting when I saw them outside indicates that they weren't particularly concerned about who might see them, so they're probably aware that everyone already knows, or at least suspects about them.

"Just give me the information, Sarah, and I'll leave you out of this as much as I can."

Sarah gave a soft sob of defeat but she gave me the information I needed. "Please don't do anything rash, Paul," she begged.

"I think it's a little late for that, Sarah," I said. I turned and left.

I wondered if Sarah would call Lana and tell her about my visit, but decided I had put enough of a scare into her that she wouldn't do that.

When I got back to my car, pulled out my cell phone, and called Mark's home.

A woman answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Is this the Jacobs' residence?" I asked

"Yes, it is, may I ask who's calling?"

"My name is Paul Holmes; my wife, Lana, is Mark's co-worker. I was wondering if I might stop by for a few minutes, I think it may be important."

There was a long pause before she answered. Something didn't feel right. "Yes, Mr. Holmes, I do think that we should talk. Do you need my address?"

"No, it's all right, I have it. I'll be there shortly." Something about the way she answered got my antennae up, but I wasn't sure why.

Arriving at the Jacobs' home, I was surprised by how young Ann looked. I hadn't gotten a good look at Mark, but I had assumed they were close in age to Lana and me.

As I entered the Jacobs' house, Ann asked if I would like a drink. "Just coffee, please," I answered, and took a seat at the kitchen table while Ann prepared the coffee.

She sat down across the table from me. "Okay, you asked for this meeting, just what do you think is so important?" she asked

I thought for a moment. "I guess there's no easy way to do this except to come right out with it," I said. "I think that Mark and Lana are having an affair."

"An affair? That's crazy! She's his boss; she's at least five years older than him! Why would he..."

"What's the matter? I noticed something seemed to be troubling you when I called."

"It may be nothing, but you called Mark Lana's co-worker. Mark told me she was his boss, and that they were working on a special project that might help him get a promotion."

"Well, I think I know what the 'special project' might be," I smirked. "Lana was acting a little suspicious while she was packing last night, and while she showered, I checked her suitcase and saw some sexy lingerie that I haven't seen before.

"I took today off and watched their building. I saw them go off to lunch together, and they weren't acting very businesslike. When I went up to her office to get your contact information, Lana's secretary was acting very nervous and I'm pretty sure this wasn't their first 'lunch'. I may be wrong, but I don't think they've 'gone all the way' yet. I think this trip may take care of that!"

"Oh, no," Ann sobbed.

I thought for a moment about what we could do.

"Ann, I've got an idea. They may have already crossed a line that can't be uncrossed, but maybe we can keep them from taking this any further. Maybe if they haven't had sex yet we might, possibly, be able to save our marriages. Tomorrow after they leave for the airport, I'll pick you up and we'll show up there!"

"You're not planning anything violent, are you?" she asked.

"Oh, no, nothing like that!"

"Then what's your plan?"

"Ideally, we'll catch them before they get past Security, let them know that we're onto them and stop them in their tracks. If not, hopefully we can catch their eye and throw a scare into them!"

"Okay, count me in, then," she said.

Saturday afternoon, I picked up Ann and we made our way to the airport. After parking my car, we made our way over to the Security check-in and tried to spot Lana and Mark.

Unfortunately, Mark and Lana were well into the Security line, so we went up to the observation deck to try to spot them. We spotted them slowly snaking their way through Security. It took Lana and Mark almost 10 minutes before exiting Security, laughing and chatting the whole time. They emerged in a short section of corridor that led to the concourse and to the departure gates.

**********

I glanced up at the observation deck at various husbands, wives and children, taking their last opportunity to wave goodbye to their loved ones. Suddenly I stopped in shock. There, staring daggers at us; were Paul and a strange woman.

I pulled on Mark's hand. He was puzzled and tried to keep walking, but I resisted and he turned back. Seeing what I was looking at, he shared my sense of dread at seeing Paul and the strange woman there. "Oh my, God," he said, that's my wife, Ann!"

I suddenly felt lightheaded as the implications of seeing them there. How? What were they doing there? How much did they know? Completely automatically, my eyes left Paul's and came to rest on the floor between us. I knew that was bad but my eyes absolutely refused my instructions to raise again.

I knew I had to distance myself from Mark and get to Paul. I had to explain, find out what he knew, or thought he knew. Sensing movement on the observation deck, my eyes finally lifted. Ann was swaying on her feet as she stared at Mark. With horror, I saw Paul put his arm around Ann's waist and pull her in tight against him. I knew he was only doing it to support her, but the gesture worried me deeply at an instinctive level.

I swung back towards security and the large 'No Exit' sign. Just then, almost blessedly, a surge of latecomers carried Mark and I towards the gates. Just before we entered the concourse, I glanced back up at the deck, but Paul and Ann were gone.

"Mark, do you think they saw us holding hands in the security line?" I asked.

"I don't see how they could have missed it! I just hope they didn't see me squeeze your butt! What do they know?"

Seeing our spouses together gave me pause, and I thought about trying to go back through Security, but then our flight was called and we turned and hurried to our gate.

**********

As we made our way back to my car, I thought about what we saw. The guilty looks on both of their faces left no doubt of their plans, and I thought that it was significant that there was no sign of Mary Jones, who Lana told me was also going on this trip.

**********

Nervous thoughts went through my mind. I saw Paul trading me in for a younger sexier wife.

We had planned on spending every night together, but the awareness that our spouses knew about us made us so nervous that we were being watched that we stayed as far apart as possible. We thought about returning home to try to save our marriages, but we decided that with our marriages in trouble, we needed to, at least, keep our careers on track.

**********

I spent the week at Ann's house so that we could coordinate better, though I stayed in the guest room. Whenever Lana called me, Ann answered and hung up. When Mark called Ann, I answered and hung up. We ignored their texts, and laughed at how frustrated we imagined them to be.

**********

We had no idea what was happening back home and how much Paul and Ann knew. We also worried that Paul and Ann might think that we had gone further than we really had and were having a revenge fuck.

**********

We spent the week trying to concentrate on our classes while looking over our shoulders, watching for PI's or anyone who seemed to be showing an unusual interest in us.

When it seemed that we weren't being watched, Mark tried to convince me to come to his room, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I began to realize just how much I had dodged a bullet when I noticed Mark not so subtly hitting on some of the other women at the class. I smirked to myself as I saw him get shot down time after time. Between my concern for my marriage, and Mark's skirt chasing, we both ended up failing the course.

By the end of the course we were frustrated, that for all our plans we never felt comfortable enough to get together. We regretted the damage that we had probably already done to our marriages and hopeful that they could be repaired. At the same time, we were fearful that Paul and Ann were having a "revenge" affair, and kept watch on our bank accounts. We assumed that Paul and Ann were doing all kinds of digging and plotting. We were also fearful of suffering consequences at work.

When I realized that I wouldn't be able reach Paul with my calls and none of my text messages were being answered, I tried a desperate move and sent Mary Jones to talk to Paul.

**********

When Mary came to my office, I said, "What are you doing here?"

Mary said, "Paul, Lana called me because she was concerned when she couldn't reach you."

I just stared at her silently.

"She knows that you saw her and Mark at the airport and she's concerned that you might have gotten the wrong idea."

"And just what idea would that be, Mary?"

"Well, Lana is afraid that you might think that she and Mark are having an affair," Mary said.

"Now why would I think that? Let's see now, she packs some sexy lingerie that I have never seen. She doesn't want me to drive her to the airport, and when I go there anyway I see her holding hands with Mark Jacobs and him grabbing her butt!

"As I said when you first got here, what are you doing here? Lana told me you were going to the course as well."

Mary turned white as a sheet, turned and left as quickly as she could.

**********

Mark and I returned home, still in a state of shock, wondering if we still had marriages to go back to and trying to figure out how we can get ourselves out of the pickle we were in. Not only did we now know that Paul and Ann knew about our relationship, and believed that we were having an affair, we were still afraid that he and Ann were having some sort of a "revenge" affair.

**********

While we waiting for Mark and Lana to return, Ann and I discussed just what we were going to do.

Although, as far as we knew, no intercourse had taken place, though we of course had no idea what might have happened while they were away, the intent was obviously there, and the deceit, lies and trickery left any trust we had in tatters. Still, I loved Lana, Ann loved Mark and we found the thought of living without them difficult to imagine.

Ann decided that for her part, any chance for reconciliation would require relocation. They were new to the area, with no real ties there. They had only moved there when Mark got the job. She wasn't sure, but as far as she knew, Mark had left his last job on relatively good terms and might be able to return to his old company. If not, he was a talented worker and shouldn't have a problem landing a job with another company. They could explain their short stay as Ann being homesick for their old town and missing having her family close.

My situation was a bit more problematic. Lana and I had lived in the area all of our lives, all our friends and family were here, so I didn't like the idea of moving, and with Mark and Ann leaving, it didn't really seem necessary.