In The Mist

Story Info
Where did she come from?
988 words
4
8.5k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RjThoughts
RjThoughts
75 Followers

I stood and cursed myself: How damn stupid I was not to fill the tank? I thought I had enough to pick her up, go out to the movies, drive her back home, and make it back to my apartment. I made it only a few miles from her parents' home before the engine sputtered then quit.

It was a nice, rather cool summer night and being an athlete -- letters for soccer and track -- I decided to head out and walk to one of the farmhouses I saw a few miles back. I put the hazard lights on and locked the car.

I wasn't sure how long I had been on foot before a mist started to develop. I remember Anna Beth telling me that some of the farms had small ponds or swamps. From what my dad had told me, farm ponds hold heat and will cause a low fog and mist once the temperature falls. This didn't bother me, nor should it have. I continued to walk, though I did become more cautious.

A few moments later, the mist enveloped me. I lost the stars, the moon; I was deep inside a gray nothingness. It was thick, as if I was back in Victorian London, walking dockside without the terrible smells of decay, filth, and city life. I felt the temperature fall, which caused an unsuspected chill to go through my body. I stopped for a moment, trying to get my bearings, try to get away from the roadside. I believed I was a few yards away from the road when I noticed the fog separate.

I thought it strange, since I couldn't see the night sky. Curious, I made way into the void, as it were. The coldness which already had a hold of me deepened. Something inside my mind screamed, told me to get out, to flee. I spun on my heels, readied myself to run.

"Hello," she said. Her voice was melodious, young, welcoming. I had a moment where I was going to answer. That was until I looked at her face.

Her face was pale, whiter than my girlfriend's alabaster skin. Her cheeks were hollow, ones that belong to someone that hadn't eaten for a month. Her lips, though painted red, appeared to be dry, parched. I tried to smile and got off a weak "Hello" in return.

"Can you help me?" she asked. It was strange as my body began to response to her before my mind did. My heart began to beat quicker. My mouth became dry.

"With what?" My voice cracked nervously.

"I'm lost and can't find my way home." Her tone was sad. I could feel her grief, her wanting to make it home.

I opened my mouth to speak, to ask her where she lived. I closed it quickly when I noticed her dress. It was torn and what was could have been blue was now a grayish color. I took a step back. I knew something wasn't right with what has happening.

"Please, sir, help me." She reached out with a hand. My eyes widened when I saw it: I saw dried, leathery skin over bones. I saw no color, no veins. "Sir, please," she begged as I stepped back again.

I wanted to scream, wanted for her to leave. I could feel my fight-or-flight instinct wanting to take over. Her eyes pleaded with me, wanted me to help her find her home. I retreated a few more strides. She followed me, her eyes pleading for my help. She reached out with both hands and I anticipated something terrible was about to happen, as if she was going to take me down to the Hell she inhabited.

"No," I screamed, anticipating being touched. I closed my eyes and prayed to my patron saints and Jesus Himself for help.

"Hey kid," I heard a man call. "Hey, is that your car back up the road?"

I opened my eyes and saw a truck by the side of the road, its owner standing in front. The mist had disappeared.

"Yes," I answered, swallowing my fear. "I ran out of gas."

"Let me bring you to the gas station," he kindly offered. I didn't need a second invitation. I rushed up to the vehicle and hoped inside. I closed the door quickly, without making direct eye contact with my Samaritan.

The ride to the station was short and silent. He grabbed a metal gallon can from the bed and had me fill it. He placed it back as I paid the gas station owner. The ride back to my car was also silent, until he looked at me with understanding.

"Did you see the Lady?" was all he asked.

I didn't know how to respond, what to say. I wasn't sure what I saw, or if I witnessed anything. I inhaled deeply and just nodded.

"I thought so, kid," was all he said and looked forward.

We arrived at my car and put the gas in my car. Before he left, he leaned out of the window and told me, "You saw the Lady. We around here don't know who she is. All we know is that she appears every summer to boys around your age and asks for help. We haven't heard of anyone being harmed, just being scared witless."

"Have you seen her?" I asked.

He turned his head to look out the front windshield and nodded. "I was around your age, my car drove off the road. She appeared minutes later, asking for help."

"Has anyone ever tried to find out who she is?"

"Not that I'm aware of." He turned over the ignition and waved. "Be careful, young man."

As he drove off, a few questions came to my mind, ones I needed to ask Anna Beth. I needed answers. I need to know whom this woman was and why she needed help.

RjThoughts
RjThoughts
75 Followers