India's Daughter Ch. 03

Story Info
Nidhi begins her adventure.
943 words
3.68
22k
4

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/29/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
drxxxx
drxxxx
9 Followers

Note from author: In the first two chapters, I have attempted to lay the foundation for the story proper. I have introduced Nidhi, and also the conditions which will influence her actions and decisions. If I have appeared a little aimless and wayward, it is so that certain uniquely Indian aspects of the story do not end up confusing and hindering the flow of events later on.

**************

Fear. Nervousness. Doubt. These weren't emotions Nidhi Sinha was particularly familiar with. If she had indeed once felt them, it was now too far in the past to remember. In every aspect of her day-to-day life, she came off as utterly confident... the confidence that comes from being repeatedly told that one is perfect.

And perfect she certainly seemed to be. She was the sort of girl who was the dream bahu (daughter-in-law) for all the neighborhood aunties; but, at the same time, also the stuff of wet dreams for all the horny neighborhood teenagers... and quite a few of their fathers as well. Depending on the point of view, she could appear the paragon of innocence and virtue or the embodiment of male sexual fantasy. Perhaps the two weren't exclusive of one another... her obvious sexual appeal drawing attention to her innocence; and her innocence, in turn, enhancing her sexuality.

All this the people saw, and they loved her for it. What no one saw, and what the patriarchy would've condemned her for, were the feelings buried deep within her. The hidden hurt at being viewed from the point of view of marriage prospects, while her less brilliant brother was encouraged to further his career at all costs. The fierce determination to be more than just a pretty face. The shame at her lack of worldly knowledge vis a vis her friends. The lust simmering under the surface, occasionally bursting through, eager to be unleashed. The desire to have someone in whom she could confide these deepest of her secrets. Would they still love her, almost idolize her, if they knew?

***************

The new term always starts on 1st August. Nidhi arrived at the hostel one day before, a Sunday. She came with her family- her parents and her brother- and suitcases filled to bursting with her clothes and beddings and all the other paraphernalia which everyone knows will never be used, but is nevertheless brought along as a matter of habit.

Walking in through the hostel gate, Nidhi could feel the butterflies in her stomach. She couldn't help but wonder whether she would fit in with the others. School was a familiar, more or less homogenous place, with all her friends belonging to essentially the same financial background and social circle. There, Nidhi knew everyone, and everyone knew Nidhi. She was the Queen bee, the leader. Everyone looked up to her. Everyone wanted to be her. Here, in college it would be a whole different story. People from vastly varying backgrounds, scattered across the social and economic strata, all meeting for the first time. Nidhi felt an indefinable, intense pressure to impress her new classmates and maintain her status as the most popular girl.

She had already been allocated a room on the first floor of the hostel, which was reserved for first years, on her previous visit to the college to get herself registered. Room 114, right next to the staircase. She had also been told that her roommate would be a Christian girl from SoBo (colloquial term for south Mumbai) - Catlina Rebello. Catlina was a legend on the school basketball scene in Mumbai. The new Dean, Dr. Anuradha S. Swamy, was a basketball enthusiast and college player in her day. By pairing Nidhi with Catlina, she hoped to begin creating a competitive basketball team at the college, an unusual target for a medical institution in India. Nidhi, who like every other player active in the interschool tournaments, had heard of, and witnessed, Catlina and her formidable talents, was already in awe of her new roommate.

Arriving late , around 10pm, after a family dinner with her grandparents and cousins, Nidhi was both disappointed and relieved to find Catlina absent from the room. The only indication that she had been there, was the presence of two hefty looking suitcases lying on a plain white bedsheet on the left side bed.

Surely that can't be all of it, was Nidhi's first thought on entering the room. She is probably planning on bringing the rest later. Maybe that's where she has gone now.

At any rate, Nidhi was glad she didn't have to face the legendary Catlina tonight. Maybe tomorrow her nerves would be more settled, and she could hope to string together a meaningful sentence.

As it was already late, and approaching the freshman in-time (curfew) of 11pm, her parents were left with little time to express their love for her, and reiterate their wish, for the thousandth time, that Nidhi had chosen to stay at home instead. After a quick, but nevertheless tearful farewell (particularly by her mother), Nidhi said her goodbyes, and watched from her window as her parent's car left. Then turning back to her new room, she unpacked her small backpack, changed into her nightdress, brushed her teeth and switched off the lights.

Lying down on the metal bed, with the hard mattress, covered by her beautiful floral bedsheet, Nidhi glanced over at her roommate's empty bed, and smiled. Tomorrow, she would begin a new adventure. Tonight though, she was safe and free in this small vacuum between the old world she knew and ruled, and the new one awaiting her, with all its endless opportunities and challenges.

drxxxx
drxxxx
9 Followers