Interview With...

Story Info
A journalist is granted a very conditional interview.
17.7k words
4.27
31.3k
13
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mechan11
mechan11
243 Followers

Wherever he was, it was dark, quiet, and room-temperature; that's the first thing McKinley was aware of as he came to. There was a faint scent of turpentine, and other industrial-strength odors in the air, combining into something just short of offending one's sense of smell. After that, it was the fact that he was leaning forward against his restraints. "Probably rope," he thought to himself. Investigative reporters sometimes ran into these kinds of circumstances, where they get too close to a story, and someone decides to intervene, offering the peaceful option of walking away with no trouble, sometimes adding financial incentive. Or, there was the more direct, hard way of threatening physical violence, with a few nasty bruises for good effect. McKinley was a record-holder in the regard of how often he woke up to familiar settings like this. It was a little different this time in that he felt like he was coming out of a normal, deep sleep. No lingering taste of chloroform in his mouth, no pain from or memory of a taser shock, nothing he expected. The only discomfort he felt was leaning forward while tied up in a chair, which he must've been doing for at least an hour.

Before giving away the fact that he was awake, it crossed his mind that he would fake sleeping for as long as he could, to hear what his captors might say; something that nearly saved his life the first time this had happened to him. His ears were very receptive; no one was talking, but he could sense someone was near. He thought about remaining that way, to see if there was a way to wiggle or break free of the ropes, assuming he was dealing with amateurs. But he wasn't Houdini or some other elaborate escape artist. What troubled him more was the memory of what happened near the time he would've been taken.

Hours, hopefully hours before, he'd been tracking an urban myth, McKinley's pet-project for almost a decade. Much of his success and reputation in his field came from other big cases he was assigned to, but some were connected to this one case that could make him a legend. His inability to help going after the crazy stories was what kept him chasing the myth for so long. Tracking down Keyser Soze as a clueless civilian, or Mulder chasing aliens and government conspiracies seemed an easier pursuit. And yet that night from the shadows of a building across the street, he finally caught some kind of break, taking photos of a well-dressed couple or pair on a date get into a black limousine parked outside a Manhattan jewelry store. It looked as a late purchase had been made; the owner inside didn't seem distressed as he began closing up, so more than likely it wasn't a typical robbery. McKinley assumed that the jewels were a gift for the woman who served as the myth's latest squeeze, or a ruse for some kind of transaction. He made a note of the jewelry store, something to look into for later.

Before they got in the man and woman talked. The almost blondish man was dressed in an expensive black suit, and the woman wore glasses and a forest green dress that looked stunning against her ebony skin, just like the jewelry she'd just bought there. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but hoped where they were going was better information for him. The driver opened the door for both of them, and they got in while the driver returned to his seat. But he hadn't closed the door for his passengers; it just remained open. No one made an effort to close it, or complain about it. Cars passing by fortunately missed the door, so no accident was caused. It was as if they were waiting for someone else to join, patiently. It finally occurred to the reporter than the door open was parallel to where he stood in the shadows.

By then he figured he was noticed, and was unofficially invited to join them. He couldn't be certain, but the longer he stayed in the darkness, the longer he thought about if it was a good idea, if it was legitimate or a trap, or both, and started to reason that it would be better to just get in the limo. With every step he questioned if it was a good idea to approach to get in. Reaching the street lights, he worried about being seen; if he were to break this case, maybe getting into the car could be perceived wrong by any of the public who could identify him. He guessed it was his curiosity that carried him forward, which seemed foolish, because he blanked out as soon as he entered to sit down, unable to see anything as his eyes shut, feeling like he'd been covered with a blanket made of sleep.

He came back to his current state where footsteps sounded, clearly a set in front of his chair. They moved toward him, and the sound of a switch blade being unsheathed was even louder than the footsteps. Panic came over McKinley, trying to keep up the appearance of unaware, but he hesitated with a sharp intake of breath, the warehouse scents almost turning his expression to one of disgust. He braced himself as his leg was gripped and the tip of the blade softly pierced through his pants and into his flesh. The reporter couldn't feign any longer, and raised his head to meet the blonde man smirking down at him, applying exact pressure to the knife with a steady hand. The blonde man received a smirk back from his captive. After a minute, the blade was raised, and the captor took a few steps back.

"Apologies," the blonde said in a German accent. "Your reputable patience seemed very accurate; it's not something shared unfortunately."

Every last detail of the German was taken into consideration, from his height and build, similar to McKinley's, to his choice of high-class men's wear, posture, body language, even comparing him to his surroundings. They were in the middle of a warehouse, stocked with goods that were unfamiliar with the reports he'd linked to the myth. Overhead lighting was bright, but thankfully not blinding like they could be for an interrogation. It didn't take him long to go for broke and make a deduction.

"Your boss told you of my patience?"

"I would know first-hand, Mr. McKinley, the way you've gallivanted all over the country and sometimes the globe chasing after a silly myth, something you believe me to be."

"What's silly is you trying to keep up this charade, Hans," he claimed, spouting a name for the man sarcastically. "You're an enforcer, not a boss. Those cuff-links are expensive, but not that expensive. Your cologne is much cheaper than expected, too cheap in-fact. The 'myth' I've been chasing surely doesn't gravitate to violence that easily, not enough to come at me with a knife. You carry yourself like a soldier which you clearly were, or technically are, never getting past the rank of major in whatever army you served, meaning you're not a general, meaning you would only have a few guards surrounding you and packing more than a knife which you're not right now. And to reiterate, it goes without saying that a man of "your" methods works in ways other than violence, mostly, making you a contingency with someone else pulling the strings, letting you do what you really want to do if need be. So, to quote an old American TV show you might not be familiar with, 'who's the boss?'"

Hans, as McKinley called him, stood in-place, glaring at the man, but not moving a muscle. That was confirmation enough for his captive of his theory, otherwise they might not even be talking right about now. He looked at the imposing man for so long, it took him seconds longer than he was used to to feel a pair of hands running over his shoulders from behind.

"Absolutely nothing gets by you, Mr. McKinley."

This new presence plainly distinguished himself from what was in-front of him. The accent behind him was soft, of some African descent he guessed, and feminine. He looked down to see one of the hands holding him; dark, ebony skin with short, dark-red nails. She even came with her own scent, jasmine; despite his apprehension, he at least appreciated her aroma temporarily overruling the surrounding volatile odors. His shoulders were squeezed, as if trying to match Hans' introduction of acute, slight pain with womanly, sensual pleasure.

"And you are?" McKinley said looking forward, trying not to show how the woman's talons made him more fearful than the German's knife.

"You would be the Pulitzer-prize winning reporter desperately looking to be well-versed in so-called international criminal activity. You tell me."

She circled his chair, and finally came into view - the woman who entered the same limousine he did earlier in the evening. She had natural, raven, frizzy and short curls that almost bounced with every step and shined a little in the light. Her dark, blemish-less skin had a healthy glow to it, looking quite tantalizing set against the long sleeveless green halter dress. The slits on its side teased her legs; the dress overall subtly teased her body, creating an attractive allure for anyone close enough to admire her. His male, primal side was tempted to look below her face to have a better look at the body he admired for a few seconds from afar, but he focused on her face more. McKinley tried in his head to go over the possibility another stand-in, a decoy claiming to be the one in-charge. If it wasn't for her introduction, he would've first assumed she was a dedicated secretary of the one he chased, emphasized by the Gucci glasses she wore. The only expression she chose to give McKinley was that of a Bond villain. She exuded confidence through every pore, eyes twinkling behind the lenses, and bore the smile of someone coming face to face with a competitor, but knowing, fully believing they had the upper hand. Either she was an excellent actress, or McKinley's search the world over was finally over.

"Y-."

McKinley's voice caught in his throat.

"Y-!"

He tried forcing it out, shaking his head, focusing, but he couldn't even begin to say what he wanted.

"Y-. Yyyy-. A-!"

He looked up to see a bright-eyed smirk shone down on him, unsurprised yet ecstatic to see him struggle with his words.

"Never thought I would see the day McKinley would have trouble speaking. Even dangerous situations never seem to keep your mouth shut. This is not exactly that, but I think we have made due," she spoke teasingly, but with proper English, the way a strict language teacher would articulate.

The journalist screamed, and tried several more times to yell out the name of the myth. Maybe no one on earth spoke her infamous name more than he did, which frustrated him to no end for his inability now.

She looked over at her accomplice, seeing him smile nearly as wide as he ever had.

"How did you know his name was Hans?" she queried in curiosity.

"What the fuck did you do to me?" he gasped.

They looked at each other, waiting for answers.

"Well?" she said, expectantly.

"Ladies first."

"Lady asked her question first."

"Stereotypical guess. What did you do to me?" he repeated.

The German moved off to step between a few stacked boxes and produce a chair. "Chair" didn't seem to do it justice for how fancy it looked. The lining of it was purple velvet, the back was high and there was an extendable foot rest for her to raise her feet. He couldn't tell if the German was just very strong, or the chair was as light and portable as it looked. She sat in the chair in a way that looked practiced, as if she knew it was made for her. Placed directly in-front of McKinley, she and began answering his question.

"Call it a little bit of a taste of things to come."

"What the hell do you mean taste? Why can't I say w-?"

"What you want to say? That is simple, I do not want you to say it. Even if you close your eyes and concentrate, I think that name you have come to know so well over the years will fade more to the point where you cannot even begin to know how to pronounce it.

She reveled in the incredulity in his eyes has he closed them and concentrate hard on...he suddenly forgot what he was trying to find. Whatever it was, it on the tip of his memory, and then evaporated into nothing.

"Difficult, practically impossible, yes?"

The 'it' he conceptually knew, but not the details, so he shook his head in defeat. It worried him less that someone of his stature was at a loss for words of any kind, and more how he came to lose simple words with a steel-trap of a mind like his.

"Splendid, then we can move on."

"Move onto what?"

"Our interview," the ebony-skinned woman told him.

"I-what? Interview? You kidnap me in the middle of investigating you to offer an interview, of all things. 'After years of secrecy and living in the shadows,...uh, the elusive one finally agrees to her first and only exclusive interview, with Frontpiece.' Do I have that right?"

"Minus a few errors, yes. You were certainly not kidnapped, for one. You may not remember what to call me, but you should remember how you came to be here. That limo door was not left open by accident. Once you were noticed, it was time to put the grand chase aside, and finally meet. And also, I would not call this a charity piece for your paper. This is about McKinley. If I wanted a certain publication to interview me, there are plenty better ones that Frontpiece. Time Magazine is more my style."

"Well, as I don't think Time will cover my expenses, you'll have to settle for Frontpiece delivering the story."

The African beauty stood up off her throne, adjusted the glasses on her face as she chuckled to herself.

"What's funny?"

"Well, there is one important caveat. This story will have a very low readership."

McKinley's eyebrow raised, wondering what she meant by that.

"Look, I know Frontpiece is a much smaller publication and that people think printed news is dying, but-"

"No, you misunderstand," she interrupted. "No one will be reading this story."

He looked at her in confusion and worry, and then at his surroundings, as she came closer to him.

"So, we're going to be recorded, or are we already on some kind of live feed?"

"Neither. This will be just between us. After years of chasing me, wanting to know as much about me as possible, spending long nights scavenging for the merest clues of what I might look like or what I was or am involved in, I have decided to reward your persistence and satiate your obviously-hungry curiosity with answers to all those burning questions you may have conjured up."

"Any and all questions? Full disclosure?"

"Full disclosure," she confirmed.

"And what makes you think I'd keep this to myse-" McKinley stopped short of what he was going to say, and looked ahead at Hans who seemingly hadn't moved a muscle, trying to hide the fact that the German was looking more and more like the Grim Reaper to him. Gentle tapping of her forefinger to his temple broke his concentration and brought him back to looking up at her.

"There is no reason to worry about him. There is no reason to worry, period."

"So...what? Fear is supposed to keep me quiet?"

"There are more interesting ways to produce quiet, like making it so the element that could produce the sound was never there to begin with."

McKinley shook his head, trying to make sense of what she playfully alluded to that didn't make sense to him.

"Stop me if I'm getting this wrong - you expect me to hear every question I have answered truthfully and fully, and then I'll forget said information."

Her smile and gentle nod gave him his answer.

"Fucking how? How do you expect me to forget something like that?"

She gave a pondering, thoughtful look in his direction, touching a fingernail to her lips colored with the same red shade. "What...was that name you used to associate with me?"

McKinley opened his mouth to speak, but he consciously froze, barely catching onto the fact that there was a name he had dubbed her, a name the world would come to know her by if he could get the story out there. Whatever it was, at that point it was just gone.

The reality of her implication shook him deeper than the threat or even guarantee of death, mostly because he didn't understand how this was happening, like the unresolved plot of a bad Twilight Zone episode. In his heart of hearts, he believed the value and measure of his life was his work, and that forgetting was a professional and personal sin. McKinley often couldn't discern the difference between being dead and not being able to bring this story to light.

"Speaking of light," McKinley thought to himself as he noticed the light above and several others in the warehouse seem to flicker simultaneously and take on a strange hum. He looked up to see it highlight the dark beauty above him before it dimmed momentarily. In that moment a feeling crept up his spine, up to his brain, urging it to simulate its own dimming.

"T-the light?"

"Not the light; the darkness. My secret weapon. No doubt that was one of the big questions plaguing your mind, and I wonder how many questions that little tidbit has answered."

The reporter beneath her helplessly agreed. The revelation exceeded so many theories he thought up over the years, but explained so much. His investigative mind quickly deduced how he came to be that night, so very tempted to approach the open-door limo from his supposedly hidden dark alleyway, the temptation starting to wane as he stepped out into the light, but then loosing all consciousness as he stepped into the pitch black interior of the limo. The need to laugh rose in him for the gall she had to call a super-power like hers 'a little tidbit.' Her anonymity made perfect sense now, if nothing else for the mountain of scientists and other interested parties who would come upon her to dissect and want to harness whatever she had. In his place, a tied-up scientist would be salivating at just the chance to learn about what she was capable of, but a reporter needed more than that.

She looked down at him through her glasses with glee. He looked rather cute to her, watching his naked expression of putting all the facts together, maybe connecting dots that had nothing to do with one another before.

"I would advise against wasting too much time on just that one train of thought. You have other questions to ask, but I am unsure how much time you have to ask them."

"What?"

"That flickering you saw was the electricity here being set by a special program. From this point on, the lights will begin to slowly dim more and more until they completely die down. And as you may have noticed already, when these lights go dim, so do you."

"How-how long till...?" he spoke in a slight panic.

"Good question," she told him, enjoying the indignant look he gave her from being toyed with. "Hans here set the timing. I asked him to surprise me and he surely did. We could have light left for maybe hours, maybe forty-five minutes, maybe just a few minutes. That precious information you believe is so vital, I cannot begin to imagine how cherished it should be to you. Years of searching for it only to be able to hold onto it fleetingly."

Anger filled his face, his eyes throwing daggers at his pair of captors. For Hans, he held back a bit as he realized the dark beauty maybe manipulating him on some supernatural level as well, and that both of them would happen to be at her mercy. A last-ditch effort sprang from him as he violently shook against his restraints. He was more than willing to suffer through rope burning and whatever could come from crashing to the floor, hopefully breaking the chair he was bound to as well. He closed his eyes to brace himself for the fall, but a pair of hands grasped his shoulders again. He figured it was Hans, but that guess was quickly proven wrong as the woman whispered in his ear.

"Calm. Calm. Calm yourself."

The voice echoed and overlapped in his head, and strangely he felt the calm as immediately as she said it, and his body complied that very second. He went from the movement of a violent, tantrum-throwing troublemaker to an obedient, well-behaved cherub who knew his place. The only part of him that tried to argue was his mind, but the echoes drowned out every thought he tried having against it. He opened his eyes, looking into her guileless ones while his were filled with fear of his inexplicable reality.

mechan11
mechan11
243 Followers