Into the Vampire's Lair Ch. 05

Story Info
Separation of mates.
7.2k words
4.77
33.2k
25

Part 5 of the 14 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/19/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

NB: Thank you to my editor, wildheartedangel who edited my work within 5 hours! I'm really grateful for her efficiency and patience with all my questions always. So I hope you all enjoy the story!

****

"I sense that you resent the fact that I'm your Alpha," said Eian calmly.

"I did not choose for this to happen Eian. I'm not the type to embrace change very well and this definitely constitutes as a major change in allegiance. Heck, I'm still trying to adjust to not calling you Your Excellency or Your Grace in every sentence."

"So you resent it." It wasn't really a question but a statement of his observation. Draven merely nodded to affirm Eian's words and heard his Alpha give out a long sigh. "Perhaps we should take a walk," he suggested, getting on his feet.

The two men walked side by side down the path towards the forest, keeping silent. It was only when they reached a small river that Eian spoke.

"I remembered finding Fiona here; passed out after feeding on a man. It broke my heart but I knew from that moment that I would never turn her against her will ever. So while she's a pack member and also an Alpha female, she is not a Werewolf and never will be."

Draven listened to Eian, unsure of what to say so he merely nodded as they continued walking.

"It is an option for you," said Eian. "I had thought it was odd that you could read her when you couldn't read the other Weres but at that time, I was more concerned over Fiona so I dismissed it. On hindsight, I probably shouldn't."

Draven stopped in his track and turned to face Eian. "You knew?"

"I suspected it. Just like that time you refused to face me when you came by to send Fiona to work. It was not a nobleman's conduct."

"I apologize," said Draven quickly, looking down at his feet. "I knew you would scent her on me if I was too close and I didn't want her to get in trouble... yet."

"Mmm," replied Eian, obviously not convinced. "Then why did you accept her as your mate? You know you shouldn't have."

With a long sigh, Draven looked up at Eian. "I wanted to kill her right there and then. I swear I would have but I couldn't bear to. Then I gave her the option of removing her memories of me so she could move on with her life and find another mate..."

"Let me guess... she'd rather be killed?"

Draven gave a resigned nod. "If a woman would die for you to prove that she's your mate what would you have done?"

A weak smile curled at the corners of Eian's lips. "I see."

Draven didn't reply him but looked away.

Empathy filled his heart as he observed the Vampire. He knew what Draven was feeling at the moment. Hadn't Fiona risked her life to prove to him that they were mates and that he should bite her?

"You should have just removed her memories Draven, instead of facing this agony. But now you cannot reverse it because you've answered her mating call."

"I haven't answered a damn thing Eian. We only had sex once and that hardly counts as mating. I don't even know what mating constitutes or how to go about doing it. As far as I'm concerned we have not mated. Period."

"You accepted to mate with her first and then kill her. Am I right? That's why you and I now share this bond."

Draven looked upwards and cursed. "Father will kill me."

"He might not kill you... but Aramis is the kind of man who might... disown you. Ah... yes he will. So what do you want to do about it now?"

Draven was stumped. Would his father really do that? Disown his eldest son whom he had spent centuries grooming? But Fiona...

"She is not in line for the title, you know that. Besides, she's under my guardianship and from an economic perspective, your family stands to gain from her marriage to my title."

But being just a member of the pack... a commoner was not Father's choice for him, Draven knew. Eian was right about Fiona... for not only did she inherit the Duchess title but also the position of Alpha female within the pack. He, on the other hand will lose everything...

Being subordinated to Eian was not a new concept, seeing that he is higher on the peerage than the Culzeans. However being just another pack member; living here in this compound... seemed like a far cry from his pampered existence. Living simply was not a problem but leaving his responsibilities to the next in line was unthinkable. Alaron is still a baby and worth a lot of trouble. As the elder, it would be unfair to suddenly dump everything on the younger Vampire's shoulder.

Draven knew he had to make a decision soon.

"Has there ever been an incident where a mate refused his or her mate?"

Eian nodded, knowing the direction the Vampire was heading towards. "It didn't turn out well, I must say."

"Tell me Eian..." he replied sadly.

"It's easier when a mate dies because the one who survives can still live off the pleasant memories; feeding off the loss. But to be separated while both are still alive is like putting two magnets at opposite ends of a table- they keep attracting one another, even unconsciously."

"Pardon me asking but why would there be a problem between Werewolf mates? Have there been Vampire-Wolves mating before?"

"No. After the Count Chervenkov incident, our packs kept away from Vampire clans as much as possible, for fear of having a pack ravished by another wolf-blood loving Vampire. So you can consider my marriage the first of its kind. As for your first question, the Werewolf tried to distance himself from his true mate because she was already married to another at that time."

"You mean you can have a family with a non-mate?"

Eian shrugged. "Sure, why not? They just don't share the special bond that mates have with each other; the ability to communicate in their heads, the desire to bear as many children as possible... all that." Eian paused as though not knowing whether to continue or not. If he encouraged this man to deny his mate then it would be dreadful for the both of them but if he allowed their union, then Draven might have an estranged relationship with his father... for eternity; not to mention what Aramis might do to Amber. Eian didn't want to think about that.

"Sometimes... it can take a Were decades or even centuries to find their mate and some just do not have the time or patience to wait around any longer." Eian didn't know why he was telling the Vampire this. Was he trying to encourage or discourage him from joining the pack?

"I had hoped to find my life mate with a human... not a Werewolf." When Eian gave him a curious look, Draven smiled a little. "Full grown Vampires tend to be really arrogant and difficult to yield, especially if they are older than you. It's worst for the females I think because they've lived so long as an independent individual that the thought of you asking them to do housework or anything can spark off a quarrel."

Eian couldn't hold back his laugh. "That's so sexist Draven! Besides, Amber is not that easy to handle. She's stubborn and is also intelligent, independent and a tad arrogant at times. Besides, you have domestic helpers to do the housework right?"

"I don't see any in your house," Draven pointed out. "And anyway, Amber is still young. Sixty... is that even legal to get married?"

Eian rolled his eyes and laughed again. "My dear brother-in-law, the legal age to get married is 18, I believe."

Draven smiled a little at Eian's response. Even if they were really mates, he couldn't claim her... so he knew what his next course of action was.

"I have to stay away from her Eian... It is not just for my sake but for hers. You know how much influence Father has in the Council right? If he says she's a threat, they will hunt her down," said Draven with a hitch in his voice. Then turning to Eian, he gave him a desperate look. "I will return back to the castle and alternate between there and our other accommodations. I hope... you'll help stop her from following me. She will listen to you."

"As an Alpha, it hurts me greatly to forcefully separate mates from each other, especially when I know Amber will be devastated by it. But as your brother-in-law... and your father's friend, I understand the situation, more than you think I do..." Eian stared at the pleading eyes of the Vampire and nodded sadly. "Alright, I'll try my best. Then you should leave now Draven..."

Draven bowed his head slightly in gratitude and also respect for this man who was not just a superior but also a part of his family... and possibly a friend.

***

That night, Eian lay in his bed thinking about the conversation he had with Draven earlier and wondered how he was going to break the news to Amber.

"Sweetheart... you're still awake," whispered Fiona, moving closer to feel her husband's warmth. "Did I not tire you enough?"

Eian looked to his left and curled an arm around Fiona. "I would never grow tired of you," he whispered back, kissing the top of her head. He knew that was not what she meant but he didn't want her getting aroused again. They just had two rounds of incredible sex and while they were both limber and satiated, he knew that just a small thought could trigger their lust again.

Apparently she thought so too for she didn't bother to correct him and instead tried to talk him out of his worries. He had resisted telling her about the problem; unsure if it would upset her too much. She still had the whole bookshop business to take care off and that would be enough stress for her.

"I'll be fine. The whole building a new shop experience excites me more than worries me... so you shouldn't worry that I'll be stressed out or anything. It's my first real adult responsibility and I'm more than ready for it. I promise I won't let you down," she said, leaning her head on his chest.

Eian gave a sigh. It seems that he was the one who was going to let her down.

"I know you'll be fine my love... I trust you," he reassured her, caressing her hair gently. "Sleep..." he whispered and closed his eyes, pretending to sleep. However his mind was still working, thinking about the dreaded conversation he was going to have with Amber in the morning.

Amber is a prized Beta because of her medical knowledge and experience and he was afraid that denying her mate could potentially turn her into a rogue. He hadn't indulged Draven in this little piece of information nor tell him what actually happened to the female Were who refused her true mate out of loyalty to her then spouse. It was a sad episode in his life as an Alpha; something he'd rather not remember.

With a sigh, Eian brought Fiona closer to him. Sometimes when you've waited so long to find the right one... how could you let her go?

***

It was still before dawn when he woke up. Disentangling himself as gently as he could from Fiona, Eian got up and took a cold shower. Fiona always chastised him for his freezing preference, yelping each time she stepped under the shower after him.

The thought brought a smile to his lips. He wondered if she did that on purpose so as to make him come rushing into the bathroom to help her. It must be a ploy because they'd end up making love and right after that, she'll chase him out and adjust the water temperature on her own.

But at the moment, he craved the coldness of the water on his face; his thoughts sharpened to alert points to get him mentally prepared for later.

Within the hour, Eian was downstairs in the kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee and placing a call to Pearl.

"Eian? Is something wrong?" was her first reaction at receiving his call at 7am.

"Will you and the kids be free today?" he asked instead.

"Oh of course! Do you need us for anything?"

"Actually yes. Fiona and her friend Erika are going to London to scout for possible locations for their new shop," he paused listening to Pearl's questions. "It's a long story but the main point is that, I want you and the children to accompany them."

"Of course Alpha! I guess I am the only one who's free at the moment since everyone's at work..."

Eian smiled. This woman never misses a thing. "That and also I think it'd be good opportunity for the children to see the city. Somehow I think the adults will unconsciously choose a much safer location when they have children along with them."

He heard Pearl's laughter at the other end of the receiver. "Am I driving?" she asked once her laughter died.

"Mmm, Alaron is driving. He doesn't know it yet though but since there are seven of you, I'm loaning the MPV."

Pearl was laughing again. "So what you're saying is I'm not really babysitting the girls but specifically the boy? Oh come on Alpha... how old is he? He'll be terribly insulted if he knows I'm keeping an eye on him."

"He's thirty-one or so... still a boy I agree and very prone to getting into trouble."

"As is Fiona."

"Yes," laughed Eian. "That is why I want you keeping an eye on the three of them. Erika's human so I don't want any accidents to happen."

"No problem Alpha..." said Pearl.

"Thank you very much. I owe you one for this." With that he put down his phone and went upstairs to tell his wife the plan. He knew she would rather he come with them but the knowledge of being able to take the children sight seeing should cheer her up.

***

"Good morning Amber," said Eian when he stepped into her office. The alarmed look on her face told him that she wasn't expecting him to find out about her and Draven so soon.

"Alpha..." she mumbled. "Uh, please sit down."

"This might take a while and so I've cleared you this whole morning from work. I'm sure you know why I'm here."

He watched her nod slowly; her eyes downcast to avoid his gaze. Eian took a deep breath before speaking.

"I forbade it."

It was only three words but it had the exact effect of fueling her anger as a polemic would.

"Why!" she exclaimed, suddenly rising to her feet. At the expressionless look on his face, she sat down again; self-consciously aware of her lack of control. "I thought you'd understand..." she whispered sadly.

Eian felt the first strings of sympathy in his heart and knew he had to push that aside to do what was best for them all. He knew that she had expected him to be angry for not telling him about her Vampire mate but she hadn't expected him to say no.

"I do understand Amber... and that is why I cannot allow it," he said, placing a gentle hand on top of her own, trying to calm her down. "You yourself know how stressful it is for Fiona to want to have children. Imagine the stress you would undergo when your wolf demands to have pups but you know he cannot fully mate with you."

Amber was solemn, obviously trying to rationalize with herself. "But... the drug thing that they created..."

"That is a blood pill. Are you a Vampire like Fiona, Amber? That technology is designed to alter their bodies not yours. Don't think for one minute that I will let you risk your life to ingest that thing. You are too valuable to the pack for me to let you go rogue."

His admission scared and surprised her. "Ro...rogue?" she stammered. "I would never..."

"Not now at least... but when you realize your mate doesn't want you... you will. Either that or you will experience what Dominic felt when he thought Sydney didn't accept him- losing the will to live."

Her eyes widened into saucers and she got up to turn away from him. "He... doesn't want me?" she asked, stricken with grief. "That's... impossible. He promised..."

"Promised what, Amber?" asked Eian patiently.

Amber turned to him slowly, her blue eyes blinking back her tears. "I don't mind dying Eian... if it's worth it to know that I've found my mate; even if he's the one who lays the killing blow..."

Eian cursed inside his head and clenched his fist tight. This was turning out to be more difficult than he thought.

"Amber... this pack needs you. Please don't think of death so readily." Eian's voice was calm for he knew that it would be unwise to fight fire with fire. Already, he could sense the wolf inside Amber whining and protesting against its human's more rational instincts.

"How do you know... that he doesn't want me, Alpha? Did he tell you?" she asked after awhile.

"Yes."

"I don't believe you," she said stubbornly.

"He has left the compound Amber and doesn't want to be found."

"You're lying!" she burst out, not caring if it was disrespectful anymore. "I'm going to find him.'

"No. Sit," he instructed but she was lunging halfway to the door. He barely caught her and struggled to control and force her into her seat for she was clawing at him. However, his grip never faltered even as she struggled to get off the chair; kicking and screaming at him.

It was only out of exhaustion that made her stop struggling after awhile but her eyes were unforgiving, furious orbs of madness. Eian knew that the wrong words could tip her over towards losing control of herself.

"Amber... Having a mate is not just about you," he said soothingly, rubbing her arms gently. "Think about what he has to give up to join the pack..."

When the anger in her eyes slowly melted away, Eian felt a sense of relief. Her body began to relax and she slumped back in her chair.

"Forgive me Alpha... I lost it just now," she whispered, her hands covering her face in shame. "What should I do...?"

Eian was about to suggest having her memory removed but remembered that it would need Draven's help. So the next best thing would be...

"Fiona could help..." he said. He doubted that Fiona would do it willingly but it was a necessary evil that needed to be done to keep the Doctor sane and within the safety of the pack. Even now, he could see her struggling with his suggestion.

"Okay..." she said finally; her human mind had won the argument with her wolf. "I'll come by later at night after work."

***

"You are to hold hands at all times, is that clear?" Pearl stood over her brood; hand fisting at her hips to make sure they understood her unspoken warning.

"Ya Mama," said Alex, looking upwards to Alaron who was currently holding his hand. The Vampire looked terrible stricken by the fact that he was responsible for such a tiny child. He had argued with Pearl about it throughout the car ride but she eventually won when she said Alex refuses to go to the female toilet when he needs to pee.

It also didn't help that the boy had grabbed Alaron's hands the moment they got out of the car, as though claiming his guardian for the day. He was giving a toothless grin at the moment; pulling the lanky man along to catch up with the women.

"Are they running a marathon or what?" he muttered under his breath as he watched the three women and the two girls chattering excitedly, pointing to this and that while walking really fast. Just how exactly is one to take in all the sights at once when there were so many female opinions to listen to?

"Alaraaan..." the boy began to whine when the girls turned a corner and disappeared from their sight. Alaron looked down to the boy and winced, obviously unaware of what just happened.

"Do you want to go uh potty?" he asked, trying to figure out the boy's gibberish sign language.

"Na! Mama!" he pouted and pointed towards the corner.

"Where's your Mama? I thought she's there... oh shit!" He barely registered the boy's gasp at his use of a vulgar word for he had scooped up the child, breaking out into a jog to see where the women went.

For a moment, Alaron was truly lost. Unlike Draven or Fiona, he had no special abilities and could only rely on his five senses to seek them out. However, that proved to be extremely difficult for the street was crowded and the smell of food, sweat and drains were starting to confuse him.

"Fana!" squealed the boy suddenly and Alaron turned, hoping that he was referring to Fiona. However, to his alarm, Alex was dangling his handphone precariously between his two fingers. Just how did that little rascal manage to take out of his jeans pocket?

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers