Iris Ch. 01

Story Info
Overcoming challenges to help her family.
2k words
3.99
27.6k
4

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 05/03/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Iris had been solemn throughout the car ride for someone whose fate have been sealed without her own volition. She had over heard several weeks ago a heated discussion between her father, Kenneth and older brother, Amir, about the massive amounts of debts the Melrose family was in. They had been one of the most powerful noble houses in all of Illyria, but over the years the men in the family had invested in businesses and recreations, mainly gambling, that scarcely yielded any profit. Now they owed the Royal Family millions in unpaid back taxes, which will leave them with nothing to their name.

The discussion she overheard was of a letter sent by the Secretary of State. It had been a first and last warning to pay their debts or their properties will be apprehended by force. Her brother, Amir, had wanted to put up a front by allying with those who were against the crown but her father, had been apprehensive in taking a violent approach as they were far too out numbered. He wanted to present his case in front of the King and perhaps salvage any of his assets he could. However, Amir was too quick and accurate to point out how ridiculous of a wish that was. 'The King will never grant you anything! The only reason we are alive is because we are far away from court out of reach for now. If we go to him he would probably make an example out of us to other noble families by executing us and selling mother and Iris into the Slave trade, there is nothing more he would like than humiliation."

They both grew silent for several minutes, until her father spoke, 'We could always give him Iris willingly.' Amir remained silent but appeared intrigued by his father's suggestion. 'She has blossomed into a beautiful girl, I had previously thought to give her away to the recently widowed Lord of Luxomberg, but this is way too important."

"Perhaps offering her to the King will allow some of our assets to be released" Amir agreed of his father's choice and then added, "this way the woman is finally serving her purpose."

-

Iris new something was amiss when a letter had reached them with the Royal seal. So after she had put her younger brother to bed and given her mother her medication with some herbal tea, she had crept downstairs nearing her father's study to gather any information she could.

She has been blind to the depth of debt her family is in and hearing that all of their assets may be confiscated by the Crown, leaving her parents and siblings without anything to their name made her heart beat louder and her breath quicken. She did not consider herself do be a materialistic girl although, she did indulge in occasional luxuries such as going to balls, enjoying champagne by the lake that overlooked their house and vacationing in their family's country houses every summer. She had always lived a pampered life, but knew all this was due to birth.

Majority of her anxiety towards her family's financial ruin was not for her own well being, although would be appropriate, but towards her mother and her two siblings, both brothers, one younger and one older. Her mother had being ill for a while without a clear diagnosis; she had been treated for depression, consumption and multiple other disorders but no improvement is seen. Her brothers were to inherit her family's wealth and without those riches their bright futures would be diminished. All of this made her heart ache.

Her heart sank further and she suddenly felt difficulty in supporting herself upright, when she heard her father's decision to give her to the King. It was difficult for her to process this, she sank down onto the floor and hugged her knees to her chest, but when she heard her father and brother stir up from their chairs in the study to finally retire to bed, she found the courage to stand up and find refuge in her own room.

Feeling herself hyperventilate and as a consequence feel faint, she sat on the window bench in her room, over-seeing the lake. To ground herself and gain some sort of self-control, she focused on the ripples on the lake reaching the shore and disappearing. She had a lifetime worth of memories by that lake, and one particular memory with her grandmother and Amir surfaced; Iris was 6 years old then and Amir 12, her younger brother was just 1 month old being nursed by the maids inside. Her grandmother had asked Amir what he would like to be as a grown man, his brother had replied with 'to be the most wealthiest and powerful nobleman in all of Ilyria.' Her grandmother had touched Amir's hand and then had said 'so you shall be.' Feeling left out of this conversation and wanting her grandmother's attention, Iris had added she wanted to own a farm with lots of horses. Her grandmother then for the first-time since they ventured out to the garden looked her granddaughter thoroughly over and said 'Iris dear I am going to tell you something that will help accept your destiny in the future. Never dream, know that you will not have control over what is to come, it will be your father's decision.' Then gently touching her cheeks with a hint of remorse in her grey eyes she added 'its better you know this now.'

Before her grandmother's harsh and unwanted two-cents, Iris had always assumed she was equal to her brothers, but afterwards she began to realize the discrepancies; while her brothers were given a well-rounded education, her studies focused more on history, literature and mathematics (to one day manage a household as her tutor went on). She had been also shown how to manage the housing staff and her way around the kitchen, but never to actually cook, because noblewomen never did that. Yet she observed her favorite maid, Harietta, making her favorite strawberry layered chocolate cake, puffed pastries, pot roast and all the food preparations for the lavish parties thrown at her home by her parents. All of this because she would be married off where she would be a lady of a house, not because she would be traded to the King in order to get some of her family's properties back.

For a fraction of second, she thought about running away, but knew she couldn't. There was her poor mother and her brothers, especially her younger brother, Collin. She had helped raise him and he was closest to her than anybody in the world. If she ran away now, there was a good chance they would be left penniless. How will her family pay for her mother's medication or her younger brother's education? If she stayed, may be the King will be kind enough to offer some of their assets back and things would be different? So after much contemplation, Iris decided to stand her ground and face whatever perils her life would bring for the betterment of her family.

Over the next few days, after much sneaking around to gather as much information as possible on her situation, she found out her father had penned a letter to see the King in person. He had mentioned in that letter that there is a surprise gift for the King if he was kind enough to grant the Melrose family his valuable time. After sometime a letter arrived with the royal seal. It had only one line, a date and a time for a meeting at the palace.

This finalized everything for Iris, even though her father or Amir did not provide her with any inclination of her fate. She took the limited time she had to say goodbye to everyone in her home, without directly saying 'goodbye.' She spent extra time in her favorite places; the library and the lake and went through the house and recalled her favorite childhood memories. She also spent time with the maids she grew up with, read to her mother at night and took the time to memorize her face, even the fine lines that had settled in over the years, as she may never see her again. She went through old photographs with Collin, who is 13. He appeared bored throughout the whole time and suggested taking the canoe out on the lake, which Iris happily obliged to.

Collin confused about his sister's extra interest in him inquired why she is not taking the time to prepare for the Eden family's ball next week nor accepted any calls for tea this past week. Iris's reply was a 'renewed appreciation for the family, especially her favorite brother.' Collin only chuckled at this and told her 'the truth will come out eventually.'

The day before she was to be given to the King, the Melrose family had a mandatory dinner; even her mother who was rarely present at any family function was required to attend. After the first course, her father stood up for a toast.

-

Kenneth has always shown Iris little to no affection throughout the years and rarely interacted with her. Why should he? Iris is a girl, which means she is dispensable. She was born to do his bidding, a gift from the gods to use where he see fit and that is exactly what he meant to do. So he arose with little guilt to share his plans with his family, but was careful to leave the extent of his family's financial trouble out. In summary his speech consisted of him being grateful to the Crown and to show his fealty, especially at these times of uncertainty where the King is conquering more lands to the West, he has decided to give Iris to the King. He ended the speech with letting everyone know that Amir and himself will be leaving to present Iris to the King.

Collin looked aghast, even her mother was wide-eyed, but said nothing. Collin did speak up, however, 'father, I don't understand! Is there anything else we could do than give the King my sister.' His father's reply was a stern 'no' and a 'you are too young to understand this son.' Iris was calm and collected throughout the dinner and agreed to be ready tomorrow morning to leave. Collin again protested but was shut down by another retort from their father.

Later that night, Collin crept into Iris's room, and helped her pack. Her father had instructed to bring one small suitcase worth of belongings; she filled her bag with some clothes and photos. Collin then presented her with his some coins, his savings, so she would have the means to find her way back if something were to happen. She half-heartedly refused; although the money may be a good resource to have in her situation, she had a feeling that her brother may have other needs for it soon, especially if her father's plan failed. A teary-eyed Colin then gave his favorite book the Odyssey, to remember him by. He had recalled countless hours her sister spent when he was little reading and explaining this story to him, that's where his interest in literature stemmed from. He loved his mother and often cared for her along with Iris, but knew that Iris was the person who had raised him and nurtured his interests.

That night Iris, out of request, spent one more time reading the Odyssey to Collin. She had trouble sleeping and managed to get perhaps 1 hour of sleep before the maids woke her up early in the morning. She quickly dressed and said her goodbyes to Collin and her mom. Iris refused to cry as she had plenty of time to do so since the weeks she knew of her father's plans. She had come to accept her position to help save her family in anyway she could. Iris made a quick glance back at her house before getting into her father's car, saying goodbye to her innocent past entirely.