Jacquelyn's Ordeal

Story Info
Jacquelyn contends with the vampire of Il'ldais Manor.
46.6k words
4.78
13k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

SYNOPSIS:

Troubling news from the Il'ldais Manor has reached Jacquelyn, a young slayer. The Lady Il'ldais has changed greatly in recent weeks, worrying many. Jacquelyn has been implored to investigate the possibility a vampire could be the cause of such dark influences. Fighting memories of her own enthrallment, the night's task would test all her skills and training. She would need all her mental fortitude and defences for her first solo slaying. However, little could prepare her for the events that would unfold. Can Jacquelyn slay the curse that has befallen the Il'ldais Manor or will she succumb to its dark spell.

For the final chapters, mirrored and twin fates. I invite the reader to take a coin and flip it. I had always envisioned a unique way to leave the ending up to the reader. I had the idea of the reader making a coin toss. Heads - They would read Blood and Light. Tails - Shadows of the mind. I wanted it to mirror the impossible choice faced by Jacquelyn. Essentially, her fate would be something that came down to a bit of chance, rather than her skill or determination.

DEDICATION:

I would like to thank all those who have helped with feedback, informing and shaping this story. Most especially, I wish to say a very big and heart felt thank you to a certainly loveable wench, who has endured many hours of editing, providing me technical input, inspiration and most importantly motivation to see this through. Without her, this story would not exist as it does. Remember to thank your local, loveable wench after reading.


THE STORY BEGINS

PART I -- A Courtship of Lies and Desires

Jacquelyn pulled anxiously at the frills of her dress. It gave her feelings of being overdressed, being a sign of the excessive opulence. The carriage rocked as the horses trotted across the cobblestone towards the manor house. The Lady Il'ldais was hosting a ball and banquet this evening and Jacquelyn was posing as a minor noble lady. Her elegant mask sat by her side on the seat, the moon beams casting pale light across it, giving it an almost ethereal appearance. She wondered how well she might fit with the others at this ball. Her green and gold mask certainly contrasted against her raven hair, but it dulled the blue of her eyes. There was a knock and her footman announced that they would be arriving at the manor soon. Tonight was going to test all of her skills. The prospects both frightened and excited her. This would be her opportunity to prove herself as a slayer and fulfil the destiny laid out before her. The thoughts and possibilities of what she might encounter tonight raced through her mind. She pulled a little to adjust her dress, so it would not reveal quite so much of her bust. Her fingers brushed over her Blessed Cross necklace, a small source of comfort should things go awry tonight.

Idly, Jacquelyn wondered how her mentor had acquired such wealth and resources for such a disguise. Her mentor was a slayer and in the order, he was almost legendary for his skills and feats. Most likely he had claimed the fortunes of the vampires he had slain over his many years. He had adopted her from a young age and she looked up to him like a father. He was stern and disciplined but a kind man, who treated her well. It had been his purpose for her to become his successor. She often was in awe of his abilities and keen awareness. He instinctively knew when danger was coming, could read people and see through the masks they wore. He had taught her many skills and even allowed her to accompany him for a number of slayings. Despite all her preparation she felt daunted by the current task at hand. A sudden jolt of the carriage shook her from her memories. She focused her thoughts again, the uncomfortable weight of the dress and constricting corset made her long for her soft leather tunic. Jacquelyn signed a little at the thoughts of longing. This was to be her first solo slaying since the passing of her mentor.

The thoughts sent a few pangs of sorrow through her and she felt her eyes tear up a little. She reined in her thoughts; she wanted to do her mentor proud with this potential slaying. Yvonne, the handmaiden of the noble lady had come to her seeking help.

She was a long time contact of her mentor and he would often quip when teaching Jacquelyn, 'Those hidden in plain sight are the best sources of information. They are invisible to most, but they never fail to miss any details of gossip and interest.'

Shortly after the passing of her mentor, Yvonne had contacted Jacquelyn and relayed information about the odd changes in her Mistress' behaviour. Her Mistress, the Lady Il'ldais, had recently rearranged her manor to be staffed well into the evenings, leaving the servants to rest for the most part during the days. Extensive works were underway to shutter out windows. The works were cutting down much of the light, which Lady Il'ldais had once prided herself in having throughout her home. To Jacquelyn, the signs were obvious, a dark influence had found its way into Il'ldais Manor and she had to investigate it.

The footman rasped at the door, pulling Jacquelyn's thoughts back to the task at hand.

"Wer'e here yer ladyship" he announced, trying his best to be formal.

She sighed a little, making a mental note to hire someone more formally coached the next time she infiltrated a ball. Closing her eyes, she retrained her thoughts, focused on her cover. Placing herself into the persona for this evening she drew herself up as the door opened. Jacquelyn opened her eyes and gracefully stepped out from the carriage into the cool air of the night. The Lady Il'ldais had obviously spared no expense for this ball. Ornate lanterns illuminated the pathway to the manor doors, where servants were greeting guests as they proceeded inside. Jacquelyn made her way up the steps, stopping only briefly to be greeted by the servants before entering the main entrance hall.

The entrance doors opened into a grand main hall, decorated and ornately prepared for the many guests. At the end of the hall was a staircase, leading to the rooms on the upper levels. The balconies of the upper levels provided a view of the mosaic image of the sun and moon, which covered the floor before her. Jacquelyn slowly stepped along the tiled floor, curious by the image. She noted the way the colour tiles represented the radiant light from the sun changing and blended into the colours of the moon light. Her attention quickly shifted to the guests, who gathered into small groups, chattering away in their own little social circles. Jacquelyn slowly meandered past the groups, listening briefly to the conversations. Her ears caught precious few slivers of information. She had gleaned that the Lady Il'ldais was looking rather pale of late and she was taken by an odd affliction that caused her to seem rather distant and less focused. Guests were reassured by her servants that she was being treated by her physician and would be well again soon. Jacquelyn also ascertained that Lady Il'ldais was in attendance at the ball and seeing guests. It would be of paramount importance for Jacquelyn to see for herself if the Lady Il'ldais was indeed under the dark influence of a vampire. Making her way through the crowds to the adjoining ballroom, she wanted time in assessing the situation. Her dress corset was rather tighter than Jacquelyn was entirely comfortable wearing, which made her wish to be done before it managed to cut off all the feeling to her lower extremities.

The grand and expansive ball room was filled with all the local nobility, each carrying an air of importance and entitlement. The sides of the ball room were mirrored, giving the illusion of the room being many times its size and filled with hundreds of guests. Jacquelyn let her eyes wander across the room, silently observing the faces. She was drawn to a very regal and stately Lady near the entrance to the parlour. Her mask was adorned with peacock feathers, making her eyes shimmer in the radiant room light. Jacquelyn judged from those near to the lady and dressed almost as regally, that she must be the Lady Il'ldais. Jacquelyn watched her intently for a few moments, observing the slow, gentle gestures and movements of the woman, as she entertained her guests.

Jacquelyn had experienced with vampiric thralls before, during her journeys with her mentor. Vampires often seduced or forcefully dominated their minds, willing them into a waking-sleep. They appeared slow, not completely aware of their surroundings or the happenings around them. The Lady certainly appeared this way; however it may be that she was suffering from a sleeping illness, which was not at all uncommon and presented similarly. Jacquelyn would need to listen to her speech to confirm her growing suspicions.

Jacquelyn focused her attention on the Lady as she slowly traversing her way through the various social circles and politely greeting the other guests. Smoothly placing herself in a circle of guests, mere feet from the Lady Il'ldais, Jacquelyn listened.

The Lady's voice was soft, almost as though in awe and wonder as she spoke slowly to the guests around her. Her expression was very relaxed, almost serene and there were few doubts in Jacquelyn's mind about her condition. A couple of the guests around the Lady parted from the group and a lone, towering figure was revealed.

Jacquelyn felt a small shiver run through her body, goosebumps appearing on her skin. Unlike the other guests, he was neither in a costume nor masked. His skin was pale and contrasted sharply with his black and red trimmed cloak. He moved closer to Lady Il'ldais and whispered in her ear for a few moments. Jacquelyn watched cautiously, trying to disguise her intense interest in the unfolding scene. The Lady Il'ldais then quickly excused herself from the guests, announcing she was in need of some rest. The man slipped one arm around her shoulders and began to guide her away. At that moment he looked across to where Jacquelyn stood and his gaze fixed upon her. His eyes were red and deeply piercing, commanding, cold. Jacquelyn was almost frozen in place from his intense stare; she drew up her will and mental defences. Just as sudden as his attention focused on Jacquelyn, he turned away and took the Lady Il'ldais into a parlour adjoining the hall.

Jacquelyn turned her thoughts to the problem of how to approach the situation when she felt her hand being taken gently and a low, alluring and commanding voice spoke to her. Jacquelyn spun quickly, tensing up for a fraction of a second before her eyes caught his.

He was tall, gazing down directly into her eyes. He smiled at her gently and she felt drawn to him.

"I do not believe I have had the pleasure of meeting you before Milady. Might you do I a great pleasure and introduce yourself?" His voice was gentle, yet compelling.

His gaze softened, but remained locked with hers. His eyes were all Jacquelyn could focus upon. The world around her started fading away as she stared almost hopelessly into his gaze. She could feel herself relaxing and letting go. Jacquelyn felt her sluggish mind trying to rise from her stupor, but her lips moved before her mind had fully recovered.

"My name is Ja..." she started slowly, before catching herself. Pausing for only half a second, she recovered herself and remembered her guise. "Josephine. I am Lady Josephine d'tella Noveri."

And with that, she gave a small curtsy. She smiled pleasantly at him, and then with considerable effort she broke his gaze to let her eyes examine him.

He stood a half a head taller than her and was slim, built nimble and agile. Like many of the guests, he was dressed regally, in deep blue with silver trimmed formal attire. The exposed skin of his face was pale and his eyes were dark. At first she thought them black, but as she looked into them she saw them to be a deep brown. His eyes blended into the dark colours of his mask, as though a part of it. Jacquelyn's body tensed up instantly as her mind began to process her observations. His gaze, the way it made her feel, his pale skin. Her thoughts immediately conjured up memories of her past enthrallment. However, this felt different; it was warmer, felt inviting and safe rather than cold, overwhelming dominance. After that slaying, her mentor trained her extensively in means of resisting and fighting domination. Jacquelyn quickly threw her glance to the mirrored wall while her hand slid into one of the many folds in her dress, grasping a small vial of holy water. She saw her reflection and could clearly see the count's reflection, which instantly sent waves of relief through her body. She silently cursed herself for not keeping her guard up.

She eyed the handsome man before her, making some quick assessments. He was well dressed, obviously of importance. He oozed charm and sophistication; most likely he used this to charm and woo the ladies into his bed. She knew the recent weeks had taken their toll on her mental fortitude. She was only now starting to come to terms with the loss of her mentor, and occasionally the waves of emotion would overwhelm her and show in her distracted manner. She knew that it would be impossible for her to block out all her emotions as she had been trained, nevertheless, she would steady herself, focus on the task at hand and make her mentor proud.

If her assessments about him were true, it could prove to be helpful for Jacquelyn to seek out the interior of the manor. Posing as a young and naïve lady of the court may work well. Jacquelyn would need to present herself as alluring to him, provide him with a challenge, a temptation too good to pass up. She quickly conjured up a persona in her mind, a young and impulsive lady of the court. She was somewhat naïve, enough that she would be willing to fall to his advances, yet present enough of a challenge that she would hold his full attention. Jacquelyn wanted him to make extra efforts to ensnare her.

The technique she used to adopt a persona was rather unique. She did not merely act a part; rather it became almost an entity itself. She could watch on as the persona physically acted, shielding her if it came to that. Her eyes fluttered for half a moment as she embraced the persona and allowed it to manifest. Although a telling sign of this, to an observer, it appeared as though she may merely have caught an eyelash. She opened her eyes and gazed back at her target, the persona in place and her mind planning out her next move.

He smiled and laughed softly as she let her eyes return to his face.

His eyes gave away a look of amusement and he followed up quickly, "I was beginning to fear you had forgotten your own name milady."

She felt a hot flush colour her face; she had not expected such banter from someone in his position. Her persona felt the embarrassment of being caught off balance by such a charming figure. Jacquelyn thought to herself that perhaps she may have to reappraise him in her plans. She was amused to feel almost a sense of gladness from the persona as the silly mask had finally found a use, hiding the colour coming to her face.

Recomposing herself and delaying a reply for a moment, she turned her head slightly, giving him a slightly angled glance.

"Perhaps I was merely finding a name I wished for you to know," and with that she whipped out a small folding fan.

She gracefully fanned her face, before using it to hide her face, leaving her eyes to gaze upon him with an air of mystique. There was something strangely appealing about this man. Jacquelyn felt herself drawn to him, wanting to be close and not let her eyes leave him, despite the persona. His mouth turned up, forming an all knowing, cocky grin. She could feel his eyes upon her, skirting the edges of her fan before locking onto her eyes.

His gaze was so disarming, his eyes so deep and captivating. She could feel herself relaxing again, her thoughts becoming muddled. Jacquelyn's grasp on her fan loosened a little, the fan started to lower.

He mockingly put on a wounded expression, "Why would such a fine lady, need to consider a name to provide me? Am I truly so repulsive that you would wish to be rid of me, even before we have been properly introduced?"

Jacquelyn furrowed her brow for a moment, focusing her thoughts, forcing her mind to function. Adopting this almost instantly smitten persona may have been a miscalculation. Although it provided a challenge, it also as equally craved one.

"I have a great many who wish to become suitors and a great many with which I wish little association," she replied, matching his wit as best as her sluggish mind would allow. "And might I know your name milord? I do not recognise you and I am familiar with many of the court here tonight."

Jacquelyn felt a little off balance, which should have worried her, but oddly it did not. Separating her more emotive side and engaging this persona was rather more taxing than it should have been. She hoped questioning him would afford her time to recompose and maintain her guise.

"I am the Viscount De'Lu Carla and I am a member of another Court to the East. The Lady Il'ldais has kindly provided me with accommodation for my stay, for which I am most pleased. I am enjoying myself immensely here, visiting the courts of different lands and becoming acquainted with the lovely ladies each presents." He took her hand gently and leaned forth to blow upon it.

He looked up at her and smiled before standing tall again. "That is an exquisite cross you wear milady. Might you allow me the courtesy of examining it?"

She thought for a moment, feeling very apprehensive and yet also wanting to let him. It was a beautiful cross and but not only ornate, it was her protection and a gift from her mentor. She reached back and unclasped the chain, letting it softly slip down her neck as he held the cross on his gloved fingers. His eyes examined it intently, as if he was appraising it, rather than merely looking. She watched him, curious as to his fascination with it. He held it aloft, just above her eyes, looking up for a moment to catch the encrusted jewels in the light. Although Jacquelyn had been possession of the cross for a number of years, in this light, it seemed even more beautiful. It shone with almost divine glory, captivating her. It caught the light and the colours sparkled like stars in the brightly lit room, she lost herself in its beauty for a moment, trying to see where the rainbow of colours began in each jewel. Jacquelyn eventually snapped out of her transfixed state as she thought she heard his voice. She realised The Viscount had whispered to her and she had missed it.

Jacquelyn chided herself silently for not staying focused. Her senses should be alive, keenly aware of every little hint of something amiss, yet she found herself feeling safe enough to let her guard down. Perhaps it was all the recent emotional stresses of losing her mentor, which caused her focus to be scattered tonight. Her ability to separate herself from the persona was more challenging, but she needed to continue.

Letting the thoughts go, she turned her gaze back to the Viscount, "Mmm, I'm sorry, I must be enjoying the fine wines here a little excessively, what did you say milord?"

It was only now that Jacquelyn noticed that he held her hand gently and was smiling, eyes gleaning with playfulness. The hall was filled with music and many couples were starting to form up for a dance.

"I wondered if you would bestow upon me the pleasure of having this dance with you," he replied.

His expression turned into a little grin once more as he quipped, "Not that you could resist the request of a handsome gentleman."

Jacquelyn thought to just decline as she had a slaying to perform, but focusing around him in this persona was difficult. He was however a guest of Lady Il'ldais and he might have access to the rooms where she had been whisked away. Pondering her other options for a moment she settled for using the Viscount. He may prove to be helpful in gaining access. If nothing else, she could take the opportunity to out wit him, something she had failed to achieve as of yet and it was starting to vex her sense of pride.