Jaded Mind Games Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Lol I've got the leather if you've got the lace '

'Bet!'

Jewel opened the bottom drawer on her nightstand and pulled out a black sheer long-sleeved bodysuit. The bodysuit was a high cut thong, completely sheer, and decorated with thin black horizontal stripes that strategically went across the chest area to protect one's modesty. She smoothed it out on her bed, picked up her black chunky heeled ankle booties, and sashayed back into her closet, Jewel knew just the thing to pull her outfit together; squeezing between the numerous rows of clothing that still had tags on them, she found what she was looking for. A pale pink faux fur jacket with shiny rhinestone buttons that cinched it together at the waist, Jewel took a few steps back to admire the ensemble she had laid out on her bed when she was interrupted by a sharp knock on the door.

"Hey, Jewel? You in there?"

She had just enough time to stuff the clothes under her mattress before the door swung open and her granddaddy's head popped in.

"Hey granddaddy!"

"Just wanted to let you know that dinner is on the table, come on down in a little."

"Right, I'll be down shortly. Gimme about ten minutes please."

Jewel let out a sigh of relief once the door clicked shut behind him, she hadn't heard him come through the front door, she turned and fished the wad of clothes from underneath her mattress and transferred them into the bottom of her favorite designer tote bag. She then grabbed a burnt orange turtleneck sweater, a pair of black mom jeans, and laid them aside to wear off the settlement tomorrow with her black chunky booties. Oh yes, tomorrow would be fun.

Leonard

At dinner Jewel seemed distant, he'd tried to bring up topics that she often enjoyed talking about but nothing he said was enough to get a response from her, she picked over dinner and they were eating one of her favorite meals. Suddenly the silence was interrupted by the sound of Jewel slamming her fork down on the table, her actions didn't make sense to Leonard because her voice was perfectly calm when she asked him a puzzling question,

"When is the last time you spoke to Ms. Saniya?"

"Well... it's been a little while, but I don't see why-''

"What exactly is 'a little while'?"

"Maybe about a month or two, Jewel what's the matter with you?"

Jewel's chair flew back from the table and hit the wall with a resounding thud as she stood up from the table.

"Granddaddy, what's the matter with me? What's the matter with you? Saniya loves you and you love her, why on Earth haven't you done anything about it?!"

"Calm down girl, what's gotten into you?! You will not disrespect me in my house. Now I've already been far too lenient with you these past few years, sit down. NOW!"

Reluctantly she slunk into the next available chair at their long wooden table.

"So where is this coming from Jewel? Why all of a sudden?"

"You ain't getting any younger granddaddy, you're nearly at your century mark and you've probably got a good, what? Thirty? Maybe forty years left? Everyone can see that you're miserable, its plain as day. At least go spend what you've got left with the woman you love. There are plenty of talented Magi here that could take care of the coven, you've done enough. Now take care of yourself."

She made it sound so simple and easy, to just up and walk away from one's responsibilities. Nothing was ever that simple and entire coven was relying on him to be a good leader, his family's legacy was at stake, and the pickings were slim. Most covens hadn't fully recovered from the plague and a few cases of it were still being reported. Now was not the time to jostle the stability of the settlement, they needed their leader to remain strong and selfless, they needed Leonard devoid of distractions. Aside from world's current state, Leonard wasn't quite sure if he was ready to pursue a new relationship, he knew without a doubt that he loved Saniya but it felt like just yesterday that his wife Viola was by his side. What about his only grandchild, the only person that could keep the powerful Mynon bloodline alive? Jewel wasn't ready to be left unsupervised yet, was she? She still needed her grandfather and as long as the coven and his granddaughter needed him there was no time for him to be selfish.

"Honey..." Leonard let out a defeated sigh. "It ain't that easy. I have to properly mourn your Nona."

"It's been eight years granddaddy... that's plenty of time. Nona would want you to be happy. To love again..." Jewel attempted to lift the dark mood that seemed to be filling the room. "I've wanted a new uncle for a while now..."

"Even if I can move on, the settlement needs me, and who's gonna take care of you Jewel. You still need me."

Leonard felt the air in the room start to vibrate, he could see Jewel's aura glowing a fiery orange and purple, the colors shifted and molted together to resemble a violent sunset that pulsed steadily outwards. Underneath her mask of indifference his granddaughter was fuming.

"Bullshit. That's a load of crap. You've been trying to sell me off like a prized heifer for a while now. Don't think I haven't noticed the private meetings you've been having with Mr. Johnson and the teleconferences you've been having with our neighboring covens. Ever think that I could take care of myself? I'm not your problem; you're scared of what could really happen if you just lived outside of your own stuffy rules."

"You have a duty to this coven Jewel, these are your people! I am fulfilling my duties just like you will."

"No, I have a duty to myself, to follow my heart. I refuse to get stuck behind the walls of this settlement or be bound by any coven's laws. You are scared granddaddy... and that makes you weak. I am strong and I won't be contained, I'm leaving as soon as I become of age, and as for my people, they died eight years ago."

Before Leonard could get out another word Jewel literally disappeared from sight, he could still feel her presence, but she was clearly upset and needed time to calm down. Hearing his weary bones creak as he stood, Leonard looked around the seemingly empty space and sighed, he was greeted with the sound of approaching footsteps. He watched as pair of foot impressions made their way towards him across the carpeted floor. They stopped less than two feet away from him and within moments Jewel gradually came back into view.

"Granddaddy, I will always love you and I appreciate everything you do for me, but sooner or later you're gonna have to let me make my own decisions."

She stood on her toes and beckoned him to meet her halfway so she could kiss his gray stubbly cheek.

"Goodnight Jewel"

"Night."

He watched Jewel retreat into the hallway and head towards the stairs, she reminded him so much of her mother Nicole. He often wondered if Jewel had inherited more than just her looks and her attitude from her mother, Nicole had an impressive aura and so much untapped potential, but if Jewel took after her mother in the ways of magic then things could get problematic. Of course Nicole had fallen victim to the plague but that was by no accident, Nicole was too much of a liability. The Populous Magi Council began the genocide of magi folk that practiced Spirit magic decades ago. Spirit magic was far more superior to any other magic, upon discovering this high ranking Elders and Council members sought out ways to possess the ability to wield this power unbeknownst to them it was only granted to curtained individuals at birth. Fearing the possibility of having their power usurped Elders and Council members banned together and issued an order, over time it became too dangerous for the Spiritus covens to exist in large groups and as their numbers dwindled the need to extinguish their kind became less relevant. Occasionally radical Spiritus magi would wreak havoc on the humans, raising too much suspicion amongst the main population and violating treaties signed centuries ago with the powers that be.

In more modern times not all magi that were born with the ability to wield Spirit were put to death, if one cursed with the ability to harness the dark power could ignore its pull, then all would be well, Nicole had unspeakable potential but it was a shame that she had succumbed to the dark lure of Spiritus. She couldn't leave well alone, she began practicing in secret and Leonard wouldn't allow ruin to befall his coven and tarnish his legacy, he had to eliminate any and all things that posed a threat to the Ainud, even if it meant getting rid of his own daughter. It wasn't by mistake that Nicole began to feel very ill and fell swiftly to the plague, but Leonard hadn't planned for it to be so contagious, and soon it overtake more than half the coven, many including his wife Viola laid in their death beds. Leonard had no doubts that his legacy would live on, he would ensure the Mynon name and the Ainud magi were safe, no sacrifice was too great for the future of the Ainud coven.

What worried him was Jewel, her words were harsh but not as harsh as the essence of Spiritus, and right now it stained the air and clung to the walls like smoke. Jewel's disappearing act required more than Earth magic, she'd unknowingly used spirit magic, cloaking oneself was something that required years of practice, and even only the most skilled Spiritus magi could pull it off. Leonard pushed his chair in at the table and headed upstairs to his room all the while hoping that it wouldn't come down to it, but knowing that there was no sacrifice too great for the future of the Ainud coven.

12