Jeremy the Germ

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"'Hello Jeremy,' he said. 'It's nice to hear from you, son, but we're a little busy this morning. What can I do for you, Jeremy?"

"'Oh, you're busy? Doing what?' Jeremy asked. Mr. Pollack's looked at me not knowing what to say next. I could tell we were thinking the same thing. Wasn't Jeremy a retard, autistic, or something? Jeremy continued, 'If I tell you a secret, Mr. Pollack, would you promise not to tell anyone?'

"'Mr. Pollack stared at the phone as if he were going to murder the caller. 'Yes Jeremy, you may tell me a secret and I promise not to tell anyone.'

"'Cross you heart and hope to die?'

"'Yes, Jeremy, cross my heart and hope to die.' Pollack shook his head in disgust.

"'I was there last night. I was with Trall. He captured Timothy and Wanda. Parlow put them in his space ship. That's Trall's dad.'

"Pollack repeatedly blinked his eyes, apparently lost for words, his mouth wide open in disbelief. I mouthed the words, 'Is he home?' Pollack instantly recovered and went on without missing another beat. 'Excuse me, Jeremy. Are you home right now? I would like to hear some more but my portable phone is dying. I'd like to come over and you can tell me the whole story. Would that be all right?'

"'Sure, Mr. Pollack. Could I ask you a favor? Would you stop by the donut shop and get me two chocolate donuts, please.'

"'Yes, Jeremy. I will. Stay right there so I can find you.' They hung up and Pollack looked at me. 'Wanda? Is he referring to Wanda Winkler?' I told him that as part of our investigation I did not tell anyone there that Wanda Winkler was also kidnapped last night.

"'What is this space ship crap?' he asked but went on. 'Officer, if it weren't for you and your gun, I'd go over there now and blow his head off.'

"'You did good, Mr. Pollack. I'm going over there now with some officers and we'll bring Timothy and Wanda home just as soon as we can,' I said. If only it were true."

"I can see why you've become upset," Perry's dad added. "Two closed cases and major felony at that. It should have been easy."

"The FBI walked in as I was walking out. We went over there and arrested Jeremy and searched his guest house and the main house. There was not a single clue in the house. No sign of Timothy or Wanda. Later, Lance Pollack ID'd Jeremy as being with the gray creature. I know, Dad, what you're gonna ask."

"What did you find in the park?"

"The ground was disturbed as he said. Different little boot prints everywhere in a campsite. It was almost like Jeremy said. Of course, it didn't make sense. Once the FBI heard about a space ship, they took over the case. No one was allowed to even look at the site after that."

"You mean you don't believe someone would kidnap two different people from two different locations for two chocolate donuts? Well Perry, I've gotta pee."

Perry's dad returned and sat back down. "So what's really bothering you, Perry?"

"The FBI worked on Jeremy for hours. He cried and all but he stuck to his story until his parents called a lawyer. I watched behind the glass. When the interview was over, the captain pulled me aside and asked, 'I have to brief the mayor. What do you think happened, Salter?'

"What do you really think, Perry?"

"In my heart, I believe Jeremy but in my head, it's impossible. He doesn't know how to drive. We tested him and he failed, unless he was faking that, too. Where could he have disposed of the bodies and for what purpose? I really believe he has the mind of a ten year old. That's what I told the Captain and Sergeant Wagner."

"What did the Captain say?"

"Captain said, 'You're no help, Salter. Get back to your zone.' Did I blow it, Dad? Will that hurt my chance of promotion?"

"Damned if I know, Perry. I hope not. Did Fred Wagner say anything?"

"No dad, he is supportive as much as he can be."

"Good man Fred. I don't think anyone could have answered that any better with the information available. What a spot to be in."

Chapter Seven - What Really Happened at Jeremy's Sentencing

Thoughtfully, the judge slapped a gag order on this case. No one wanted the label of alien abduction to ridicule this tragedy, although it was whispered about freely in the community. The minutes and hours crept by slowly like an inch worm crawling along a branch for the grieving families. As the weeks turned to months, it became painfully obvious to everyone that Timothy Pollack and Wanda Winkler were not coming home alive, if at all.

Local news coverage was muted and mainly focused up the inability of the police to get a confession and resolve the case. Rumors circulated about aliens and space ships, ray guns that stunned the mind, and aliens, along with Jeremy Schweitzer, grilling and eating the victims. Some advocated returning to the good old days when detectives resorted to beating the confessions from suspects. The case went on like a cooking pot of stinking, bad stew; everyone directly avoids it but no one does anything directly about it. The township just wanted this case to end.

Eleven months after the disappearance of Timothy Pollack and Wanda Winkler a short trial was held. Six psychologists and psychiatrists interviewed Jeremy and all agreed that he was unfit to stand trial and but the experts disagreed regarding Jeremy actually knowing the difference between what was true and real versus what was false.

The District Attorney tried to show that one or both of Jeremy's parents coached Jeremy with how to act as insane but the testifying doctors said Jeremy was really a ten year old boy in his mind and maturity.

Then the District Attorney suggested that Jeremy's parents had influenced some of the doctors to protect their son but the defense attorney asked the doctors for the prosecution if they had ever had contact with either of the Schweitzers before the trial. While they knew of the Schweitzers by reputation, each testified to no contact prior to the trial. Despite their expertise, none of the doctors could explain how Jeremy could have regained his speech lost twelve years earlier. Such a case of recovery could not be found anywhere in the medical literature.

With pull of Sergeant Fred Wagner, Officer Perry Salter attended every day of the trial. He saw Jeremy, now a 23 year old man, sit on the witness chair but heard Jeremy, the 10 year old boy, speak in his simple way. During Jeremy's testimony on the stand, the District Attorney often caused Jeremy to break down and cry. Jeremy easily fell for her trick questions and answered naively but his story never changed about what happened that night. Sergeant Wagner tasked Perry at the very least, to learn where the bodies were. But Perry Salter, the rising star in the department, could not figure out what really happened.

The court ruled Jeremy unfit to stand trial and was ordered confined indefinitely to a mental health institution "for his own safety".

As part of the settlement, Officer Perry Salter was given a one hour interview with Jeremy, Jeremy's private attorney, and the District Attorney before he was transported away.

In the interview room, Gerard Pedowski began, "Officer Salter let me remind you of the rules we've agreed upon. You may tape this interview but you may only discuss matters relating to the burglary and assault at the Schweitzer residence and you may not discuss anything related to the alleged kidnappings of Mr. Pollack and Miss Winkler or Mr. Schweitzer's medical conditions. If you ask just one such question, the interview will be over at that point. Do you understand, sir?"

Perry Salter responded, "Yes sir. Just so everyone knows, we have been recording since you entered this room with the cameras overhead and through microphones in the walls." Perry then identified the room's occupants and date and time of the interview and other legal disclosures. Perry went over the preliminary facts of the burglary with a list of stolen items and got a confirmation by Jeremy Schweitzer. Perry continued, "Mr. Schweitzer, do you know either of the men who burglarized your parent's home?"

The attorney nodded but Jeremy was anxious to talk. "One of 'em was Willie DeGraffenwright. I used to go to school with him, until I got sick. I knew him. He said he knew me."

"Do you know the other man?"

"No, I've never seen him before. Willie kept calling him 'Bones'. He was the mean one who punched me in the stomach and hurt my hand. I hope you catch him and shoot him and bring back great granddad's binoculars. He was a famous explorer, you know."

"We will certainly try, Jeremy. Do you know where Willie DeGraffenwright lives?" Officer Salter went on to ask other questions until he realized Jeremy knew nothing further about DeGraffenwright and Plowder. "Thank you for your cooperation. I know this has been difficult for you, Jeremy. Good luck, son."

The District Attorney seized the opportunity, "Jeremy, where are the bodies of Timothy Pollack and Wanda Winkler? Please..."

Defense attorney Pedowski pounded the table, "That's it! Interview over. Jeremy, don't say another word!"

"...tell me so we can bury then with dignity." She continued as the attorney Pedowski and client Jeremy rose to their feet. "The parents deserve it and nothing more can happen to you."

Pedowski defiantly glared at the District Attorney and indignantly ordered, "Leave now, Jeremy and don't answer her. She wants to hurt you with her words."

Jeremy looked at her as his attorney pulled his arm to stand. "They're up in space. Really, they are." They went out the door to the attending uniformed officers, who handcuffed Jeremy and led him away. Perry heard him ask his lawyer, "When do I get to go home?"

"Same bull crap. Never changes," muttered the District Attorney. "Did you get what you wanted?" Perry just nodded.

Chapter Eight - Arresting the Bad Guys

"After the interview I found a burglary sergeant and gave her the case. I asked her to find William DeGraffenwright. Two weeks later I got a note from the detective at roll call. Mr. DeGraffenwright worked at Big Sam's used cars in Peterborough but was off on vacation. The watch commander gave me a rookie and said we should go in plain clothes to bring him back here and charge him here.

"Mr. DeGraffenwright surrendered peacefully and immediately lawyered up. After processing, I had the rookie drive. We ignored the prisoner until we made a pit stop an hour out. We took him to the restroom and I bought him and me a fried chicken lunch. I told the rookie to go sit in the car."

"For a guy gunning for a promotion, that was a very risky move, Perry. Done it myself but not when they were looking at me."

"I was all knotted up inside over the other case. I guess I blew it. Anyway I said, 'Mr. DeGraffenwright, I know you asserted your rights. That's Okay,' I said. "Let's just talk, man to man. It won't go any further than you and me. There are no witnesses so you and I can deny everything. Willie, I want to know, did any of the officers tell you what kind of time you're facing?'"

"'Three to Eight years. Is that right?' I could see he had been crying.

"'Well, that's for hardened criminals. Burglary, assault, and conspiracy. This is your first offense. More likely it'll be twelve to twenty-four months. You can do that. But the real kick in the ass is the felony, which will follow you the rest of your life. It will keep you from ever getting good jobs. You'll only be able to work the left over jobs. Nothing against selling cars, Willie. It's a real shame.'

"'I'm so sorry. I never meant it. He forced me 'cause I owed him.' This twenty-three year old man cried like a baby. I know you've seen it before, dad."

"All the time when I was on the job."

"Yah, its sad. 'How could anyone force you?' I asked. 'You're a grown man. You're not weak.'"

"'I owed him. I owed him five hundred for crack. I couldn't stop.'"

"I asked him who and he said Cedric "Bones" Plowder. I'd heard of him before. He's a dealer with a long rap sheet. So I said, 'Bones is a big fish. He's probably on probation. Here's what I'm thinking, Willie. I will go to the District Attorney and recommend misdemeanor breaking and entering with probation, provided you complete drug rehab. You must get clean and stay clean for say eighteen months. In exchange you will testify against "Bones" Plowder in all proceedings we need you for. Are you ready to end this nightmare?'"

"Quit it, you're breaking my heart, Perry." Both men sipped their beer. "So you smoked out DeGraffenwright and he rolled over on Plowder. Pretty good, son. Then what?"

"I watched the SWAT team serve the arrest warrant at Cedric "Bones" Plowder's estate in crackville. There was all kinds of drugs, weapons, money, and he was on probation. He won't be walking the streets for the rest of this century."

"I imaging 'the suits' were happy. This is the kind of stuff that makes them forget all about the missing kids. I'll have to call Fred Wagner and thank him. You know, by letting him win a round of golf or two. He's a pathetic golfer but a hell of a good cop."

"Yah, dad, Sergeant Wagner is letting me run free like a detective. The Captain's counting the kidnappings as closed cases, too, since there was adjudication. I should be happy but I feel sick, like I'm disappointed. Like I cheated on a test but got an 'A', you know?"

"Like planting evidence and getting a conviction."

"What?"

"Oh, never mind," answered Perry's dad. "Son, get us another beer."

"If you don't mind, dad. I've had enough and I feel better for having talked it out with you. It has been emotionally draining, like nothing else I've experienced. You know it's been a year tomorrow since those kids disappeared. One year. I've got the next three days off and I'm gonna start by catching up on all the sleep I've missed."

"Don't get too worked up about this. You're good. You know? You can't prove them all. Just so you know, guilt or innocence. One year, huh? Well, another year and you won't be thinking about this case but something new."

"One year," Perry said looking up. "It just occurred to me, dad, in court Jeremy testified that the aliens were to return in one year. What do you think?"

"I'd say go home and get some sleep. Don't go looking for space monsters; you'll never find them and if you do, you carry a 9mm. You don't have the weapons they do, remember? They carry ray guns. Hah. In thirty years I never had any aliens. Oh, what a crock this is. Forget all this space alien stuff; it won't help you get that promotion. You know how cops are? They'll ridicule you the rest of your career. Just forget it and don't ever mention it to anyone again, you hear? No one. Ever. Unless you make a collar and drag one of them in. No word of this. Now, get going. Don't let them pull you over, son."

On his way home, Perry looked at all the places a cop would hide. Wouldn't that just be my luck getting busted for D.U.I. Uninvited, the image of Jeremy crying on the couch appeared in his mind and the question with no answer, Where are the bodies of Timothy Pollack and Wanda Winkler? What was the purpose of this? Revenge after so many years? Was that really it? How did he do it? And, Why? Perry swerved off the road, knocked over a mailbox, and just missed a tree. That did it; Perry knew what he must do.

Perry pulled out his cell phone and called his Sergeant at home. It was time for the top dog to collect a favor. Cops don't get bonuses for solving cases but they can get extra duty overtime.

Chapter Nine - Solving the Case

Zone Officer Perry Salter reported for duty at roll call for the overnight shift. He shaved and showered but did not risk sleeping. The Watch Commander looked at Perry suspiciously and re-read the instructions left for him.

"Officer Salter recently broke the 68% mark for closed cases," announced the lieutenant. "Outstanding. Congratulations Officer Salter." The men and women gave a half hearted cheer. "Officer Salter is assigned tonight to a one-officer, one-shift stakeout and that means he will not be available for service calls."

A voice called out from the back, "Does that mean he will be horizontally interviewing Hannah Jenks or will he just be taking names?" Other officers supplied lewd comments. Hannah Jenks was a town woman known to leave her back door open to cops.

"Officer Salter," bellowed the watch commander to restore control of the room. "If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to call. And see me after roll call."

Afterwards, the lieutenant looked at Perry suspiciously, "You look like crap. I'd send you home but for a favor to Sergeant Wagner. Suppose I ask you to blow into a breathalyzer?"

Perry stared at the graying officer. "Suppose you don't."

"I'm not going to have any trouble out of you, am I?" Perry Salter turned and walked away without answering.

Freed of any real police duties, Perry pulled his cruiser into the moon shade of a big oak tree deep into the town park which connected to the Schweitzer, Pollack, and Winkler residences. Without sleep, Perry planned to rely upon a thermos of coffee, a paperback he had attempted to read over the last three months, and the loonies on the overnight, AM radio talk shows. For nourishment he brought an egg salad sandwich he made last week. Perry opened and poured his first cup of coffee. He checked the settings on his digital camera. Perry vented the windows to let in the cool night air. Perry looked about the dark, quiet park. The only sound was the occasional insects and a lonely barn owl.

With his strength low, the images and questions freely invaded Perry's mind. Jeremy the babbling boy and Jeremy the simple kidnapper who was unaware he had done anything wrong. No motive, no accomplice, no graves, no bodies, no blood, no explanation of where they were but up in space with little gray aliens. How could Jeremy have possibly have overpowered and kidnapped two adults by himself? He couldn't even drive. He was easily manipulated by everyone. Why would he call the Pollack's just after the kidnapping? How did he disintegrate their dog?

Next, Perry's mind ran over the blur of testimony and the piece he almost missed; the part where Parlow the alien agreed to return one year later. That would be tonight. He felt good. He would wait and see. Perry tried to image what their craft looked like. Then, the coffee cup fell harmlessly onto the floor of the police cruiser.

Perry was startled awake by the sound of rushing air, as if being exhausted from a vacuum cleaner. He opened his eyes and focused on the hovering, black flying craft with the red, white, blue, and green running lights, which changed colors. Primal fear quickened his pulse. He held his breath as he beheld the flying craft slowly ascend vertically, up before the black tree tops, and up into the navy blue sky. He reached, searching for his camera on the seat.

Perry had prepared questions to ask the aliens, if there were any. Come back. How can I rescue Timothy and Wanda? His brain screamed. The black craft shot straight ahead, beyond the trees, and disappeared from his view forever. His thought seemed to hang in the air, unanswered. Perry picked up the camera and looked at it with disgust. Disgust with himself that he had fallen asleep.

Staring at the empty sky, a bitter feeling of failure overcame Perry. The awards and a possible promotion meant nothing compared to failing Timothy and Wanda and their parents. Perry had failed, conquered by alcohol, fatigue, and boredom. Perry now knew that Jeremy was innocent; he just saw the proof. We have an innocent man in a mental institution for life. Perry rubbed his forehead in grief. They could keep their promotion and Officer of the Year.

If he spoke up, no one would believe him and his fellow cops would forever taunt him. If he kept quiet only good could follow for him. Perry felt sick. In the urge of an instant, Perry stepped out of the car and threw up mixture of creamed coffee and egg salad into the grass.