Jess was a Bitch Ch. 08

Story Info
Gloria gives everyone a scare.
11.4k words
4.74
18.8k
47

Part 8 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 11/09/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Turbidus
Turbidus
1,089 Followers

Gloria's swimming with a new tattoo leads to a crisis.

Jon and Jess continue to explore their desires.

Thanks to LarryInSeattle.

==========

"Good morning, dear."

"Good morning, mother."

"Hmm, doubtful, not if I'm already 'mother' this early in the morning." Gloria takes a sip of her coffee. "I don't have much practice at being a good mother." She waves off Jess' protest. "I'm feeling unsure how to proceed. I don't want to pry. At the same time, I hope you know if there's something I can do, even if it's just listening, I'm here."

"Thanks, mom." Jess leans back in her chair. "I'm...I...are we...sick freaks?"

"No, honey. You aren't sick freaks. I know that. Your father knows that. Your true friends will know that." She pauses, shaking her head. "Unfortunately, those are the only ones who will know it. I can't lie to you about that fact; it would be cruel."

"Jon thinks somehow this will all work out. I told him this will have to end when we get home. He can't accept that. Worse, he blames me. He thinks I'm failing him for not trying harder."

Gloria nods; she has suspected as much. "Your brother is a romantic. He's always been one. So's your father. It's easy to mistake that for weakness. I have. I still do, if I'm not careful. I worry he'll do something stupid, make some silly gesture."

"What do you mean? Like lopping off an ear?"

"Well, van Gogh was a painter but no, I was thinking more along the lines of having your name tattooed over his heart. If he weren't so concerned for your feelings, I'd be afraid he'd post the news on Facebook or Instapudding or one of those things."

"Instagram, mom"

"I know, Jess. Christ, I was being droll. I imagined, once upon a time, that you had a sense of humor."

"Not these days."

"Hmm."

Jess leans over and lifts the sleeve of her mom's loose shirt. She frowns. "Does that hurt? It looks awfully red."

Gloria glances at her new tattoo, as much of it as she can see. "It's a little stiff this morning. It's fine."

"I don't know. Let's look at dad's. I don't like it. How's your slutty belly button ring?"

"Fine, and you've very little room to talk." Gloria lifts up her shirt and pulls down the top of the dressing. "Your father does the cleaning and changes the bandage." Jess nods. "That one looks fine." She glances at her mom's arm and frowns again. "Jessica, please wipe the worry off your face. I'm fine."

"Want to go get something to eat?"

"Sure, give me a minute to run a brush through my hair."

Jess waits for her mom on the patio, smiling when she opens the door and her father's snores come wafting out. Gloria takes her daughter's arm and they walk to the poolside restaurant. Caitlin and Travis are there. Gloria sees them first. "What's the protocol, Jess? Do we wave? Join them?"

"Don't be silly, mom. There's no protocol besides good manners. We say 'hi'. If they want us to join them, we do if we want to. If we don't, we excuse ourselves."

"Don't get snippy, Jess. It's not every day I interact with one of your orgy buddies."

"Mother!" Jess hisses.

Gloria smiles, pleased with the response. "Mess with the bull, you get the horns, young lady, as they say in Texas."

"When did you become a bull, mom?" She squeezes her mom's arm between hers and her body. "Though, you have more balls than most men I've met." She doesn't see her mother wince when she squeezes her arm.

"Morning," Travis calls, spotting them. "Would you like to join us? Or have we worn out our welcome."

"Hardly, may we? We don't mean to intrude. Please don't feel as if you must humor us."

"Don't be silly, Gloria, you are rapidly becoming one my favorite people in the world," Caitlin says, standing. She leans in to kiss Gloria's cheek. As she does, she gently places her hand on her upper arm. This time they all see her wince. And notice her the sharp intake of her breath, also.

"Gloria, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, dear. Nothing. My tattoo is a little sore, that's all."

"Bullshit, mother." Jess' voice is sharp with worry.

Caitlin touches Gloria's forehead with the back of her hand. She frowns. "You have a fever." She looks closely at the other woman. "You're pale. Let me see your arm."

"It's nothing. I am not taking my shirt off in the middle of a restaurant."

"No? Fine, we'll go to your room. Trav, get the check will you."

"That is not remotely necessary. Finish your breakfast..."

"Your room or here, Gloria but let me see that arm. Now."

Jess' eyes ping-pong between the two women. She's not used to seeing anyone try to order her mother around, but Caitlin's mouth is set in a thin line and there's a hard glint in her eye. Jess is amazed when her mother concedes.

"Fine, but this is ridiculous and you're wasting a lovely looking breakfast."

"Travis will have it sent to your room. Come on."

Jess hurries to catch up them as Caitlin marches off, holding her mother by the elbow of her good arm.

"Let me go in first, James may not be dressed."

"So? I saw him naked yesterday," Caitlin snaps. "Fine, hurry up."

Gloria fumbles with the key card and pushes the door open. "James, pull a sheet over you. We have a very pushy visitor."

Caitlin pushes in as soon as Gloria is in the room, Jess hard on her heels. She is vaguely aware that her father is sitting, naked, on the edge of the bed, looking confused and groping for a pillow to put over his lap.

"Jess, open the drapes. Get some light in here."

Jess hurries to the patio door. The urgency in Caitlin's voice seems to clear the cobwebs from James' head.

"What's wrong? What's happened?" James stands, still holding the pillow over his crotch.

"Nothing dear, Caitlin and Jess insist upon histrionics for breakfast."

"Stow it, Gloria and get that shirt off." They all stare at Caitlin, wondering where her tone of command came from.

Gloria unbuttons her shirt and lets it slip off her shoulder. Jess gasps and her hand goes to her mouth. The pillow falls to the floor. "Gloria, what on earth?"

"It's just a little inflamed. I'm fine."

Caitlin picks up the phone and punches "0". She speaks in rapid Spanish. She listens. "Fuck. Speaks again, nods. "Gracias."

"What on earth, Caitlin? If you think..."

"Gloria, you have cellulitis, at best. At worse you could be developing something called necrotizing fasciitis. Your tattoo isn't inflamed; it's infected and severely. You need IV antibiotics and the sooner the better." She gently probes around the tattoo. "I'm sorry if I'm hurting you, Gloria." She turns to James. "Get dressed and get your car. An ambulance would have to come from Tulum and then turn around and drive back. We can drive there faster. Jess, go get Travis, please."

"Caitlin, I appreciate your concern, but I am not going to Tulum. I just need a little rest."

"If you don't get this taken care of, and as soon as possible, you'll rest forever. If you develop sepsis from this, the mortality rate is over fifty percent. So, do us all a favor and zip it and let me look at this."

"Caitlin, I agree this looks very worrisome but how..."

"Huh? I'm an ER physician. Didn't you know that?" They stare at her. "What? Fucking move, don't just stand there with your thumbs up your assess. Go!"

Jess hurries out of the room.

"This might hurt, Gloria. I'm so sorry." Caitlin presses over an area that is more dusky blue than red. Gloria cries out. Jess frowns. "I don't feel any crepitus, any gas; that's good but we still need to get your ass to a hospital. Where the fuck is Jess with my husband? James are you dressed?"

"Yes, Caitlin. I got the keys. Come on." He opens the door. "Here comes Travis," he calls over his shoulder.

"Caitlin, what is it?" Travis asks, eyes darting around the room.

"Gloria's tattoo is badly infected. James and I are taking her to the hospital in Tulum."

"I'm coming with you," Jess insists, stepping forward.

"No," his father snaps. "Don't argue. Stay here. Let Jon know what's happening. I'll call you when I know something."

"Once we know what's going on, I'll drive you wherever you need to go, Jess," Travis tells her.

"Come on. We're wasting time. The front desk told me there's a pharmacy not far from here. I want to pick up some oral hydration fluids, some ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, and ceftazidime if they have it." She pauses. "Shit, Trav run and get my wallet. It has a copy of my license in it. Meet us in the lobby." He takes off at a run.

Caitlin takes Gloria by the elbow again. "Come on. I can't have my almost favorite person in the world scaring me like this." Gloria looks at the young woman and for the first time feels afraid. She nods. Jess follows. Her dad shoots her a look. "Just to the lobby, daddy." He nods.

As James is pulling up the car, Travis comes racing around the corner of the building. He hands Caitlin her wallet, knowing that her Centurion AmEx is likely to be of more help than a wallet-sized copy of her medical license.

Jess is crying. Her mother hugs her. "Honey, this is much ado about nothing. Don't cry. I'll call you later." Her father gives her a quick kiss on the cheek and hurries to the driver's side. "James, do not drive like a maniac. It won't help to kill all of us," Jess hears her mother telling him as they pull away.

She turns and let's Travis hold her as she shivers.

"Come on, Jess. Let's go get Jon up to speed. Caitlin is a different woman when she goes into doctor mode. Your mom is in the best hands she could find, anywhere, trust me."

Jess pulls away and looks at him; her hands go to her mouth. "Jon, oh my God, he's going to be so upset we didn't get him up, let him say good-bye. Oh, fuck, Travis, what am I going to do? Should I let him sleep? Wait until we hear something? Oh, shit."

"Do you want me to talk to him? It's really not your fault. Caitlin is a force of nature when she gets going."

"That's what dad says about my mom, that she's a force of nature." Jess shakes her head. "No, thanks, but no. I'm not such a total chicken shit that I'll ask you to do my dirty work. Do you think we should wait to hear something first?"

"If it was me, I'd tell him now."

Jess nods, sighs, and steps away. "This is gonna suck big time."

"Want me to come with you?"

"No, let me talk to him first. Is that okay?"

"Of course, don't be a simp, Jess. I'll be at the bar restaurant if you need anything. Do you have my cell number?"

"No, but I don't have anything to write it down with."

"Okay, I'll be at the bar or on the beach."

She nods. They walk back through the lobby together. He touches her elbow. "It will be okay. Honest."

She tries to smile her thanks, knowing he can guarantee no such thing.

***

She sits on the edge of the bed, smoothing his hair back from his forehead. He looks like a kid, lying there, curled up around her pillow.

"Jon, baby, wake up." She jostles his shoulder. Nothing. She jostles him a little harder. "Jon, I need to talk to you. It's important." He mumbles. "Jon, wake up."

"I'm sick of talking about important things. Let me sleep," he grouses.

"Jon, it's about mom. It's important. Please, wake up."

"Mmm?"

"Jon, dad and Caitlin are taking mom to the hospital."

He opens one eye. "Hospital? What for? She get hurt or something?"

"No, Caitlin is afraid her tattoo is infected." Jess makes sure she has her brother's attention. "She thinks it could be very serious; that mom needs IV antibiotics to avoid it getting into her bloodstream, getting sepsis."

Jon sits up. "What the fuck are you talking about? From a tattoo? Where's mom?" He throws the covers back and swings his legs over the side of the bed.

"I told you dad and Caitlin are driving her to the hospital in Tulum. They're stopping to get antibiotics that she can take as pills first." Jess shakes her head. "Turns out Caitlin is a doctor, you fuckin' believe that shit?"

"Where is mom?!" He's shouting now, looking around the floor for shorts or pants.

"Jon, stop. Listen to me. She's on her way to Tulum. We went over for breakfast. Caitlin saw her arm, made her let her see the tattoo, went ballistic and had dad get the car."

"Why the fuck didn't you get me?"

"There wasn't time. Caitlin was runni..."

"Fuck Caitlin!" His face is twisted in anger and fear. "All you had to do was walk down the fucking hall and wake me up. Why didn't you wake me up? Fuck!"

"I'm sorry," Jess replies, voice thick. "Everything was happening so fast and I was so scared for mom. Dad grabbed the car, everyone hopped in and they took off. I'm sorry."

"You could have gotten me up."

"I know. Maybe I should have. Or dad should have or if we were thinking we could have sent Travis over. I'm sorry. I'm sure dad is, too."

His cell phone rings. He dives across the bed to get it.

"Mom? Is that you? Mom?"

"Hang on, Jon. It's Caitlin. I'm sorry we took off in such a hurry. Speed is important but I should have sent Jess or Travis to get you. Your mom is right here. I'll let you speak to her in a sec. We stopped and was able to get some oral antibiotics in her and I gave her..."

"A goddamn shot in the ass that hurts like a son-of-a-bitch, worse than my goddamn arm!"

Jess can clearly hear her mother's bellow and laughs. Her laugh sounds hysterical to her ears and she cuts it off. Jon's mouth twitches.

"I'll let you talk to your mom." They can hear the amusement and affection in Caitlin's voice.

"Hi, honey."

"Mom, are you okay? I'm fucking pissed they didn't come and get me."

"I'm fine. I'm beginning to wonder if Caitlin isn't into some kind of S and M stuff. She stabbed a needle in my ass that would have frightened a horse to death."

"Mom, I'm serious. What's going on?"

"Nothing, honey, nothing much. Caitlin is just being careful. She thinks I've got a skin infection in my tattoo from going into the water the other day like an imbecile. I'm sure some ointment would have been fine but you know doctors, they're not happy unless they're making a big goddamn deal out of the simplest thing. Listen, we were all runnin' around like a bunch of chickens with their heads chopped off. Don't take your worry out on your sister. Honey, I don't know if we brought a charger for the phone so I'm going to say good-bye. I'll call you, or dad will, after I see the doctor. I'll see you tonight. Let me talk to your sister quick. Love you."

"Love you, too," Jon whispers. He holds the phone out to Jess. "She wants to talk to you."

"Hi, mom. Are you okay?"

"For the love of Pete, yes, I'm okay." Her voice grows softer. "I'm fine, sweetheart. Don't you worry. I'll see you tonight. Tell your brother I said to settle his butt down. I won't get home any sooner by him pacing and pulling at his hair. Make him go for a swim. Hang on a sec, hon. Hold the phone out a little bit." Jess does as her mother asks. "Jon, you go for a swim!" her mom yells. Jess smiles at the picture of her father and Caitlin covering their ears.

"Mom, I could have put you on speaker phone," Jess tells her.

"Oh, pish posh. I'm hanging up now. Love you both."

"Bye."

"Bye," Jon echoes.

***

Even the surf seemed to be breaking in slow-motion. Jon and Jess sit under the cabana staring out at the sea. Every few minutes, one or the other picks up their phone and checks to see how many bars they have, check to see if it's possible they've missed a call or a text. The signal is fine, there are no missed messages. Then with a sigh, the phone is dropped back beside a hip before the cycle repeats a few minutes later.

Travis had shown up at some point, followed by a server with coffee, fruit, and pastries. The two siblings ate, only partially aware that they were doing so. No one spoke. Jon laid back on the chaise. When Jess nestled in beside him, his arm went around her shoulder and he pulled her close. The warmth of his body beneath her cheek, the steady beat of his heart, and the whispers of his breathing soothed her. One fear, that he'd never forgive her, fell away.

Jess' breath tickling his chest works a similar magic on Jon. His mind is too busy worrying about his mom for him to be aware of how worried he is that he's ruined everything with Jess. That she's willing to let him hold her is comforting and he, too, is able to put worrying about what will happen a week from now out of his head.

"Thank you, Travis. I don't remember if I remembered to say 'thank you' earlier, for the food and coffee and the company."

"Jon, don't worry about it, dude. Happy I could help, even if it's not much."

"It's a lot and thank you," Jess insists without lifting her head from Jon's chest. "It seems like we should have heard something by now. It's been forever."

"Only a little more than an hour," Travis tells them. "It takes almost that long to get to Tulum, then they have to check in, all that stuff."

"I didn't know Caitlin was a doctor," Jon adds.

"Yeah, she doesn't manage to work it into every conversation like some people," Travis replies. "It's one of the things I love about her." Jon tilts his head over his shoulder to look at the man sitting in the chair. "How did you two meet?"

"Fund raiser. Hospital thing. I was in law school, interning for a big firm. The firm was one of the sponsors of the event. Caitlin was still in residency. She was mingling with the crowd, answering questions about the work the foundation was involved in, that sort of thing. I'd never believed in love at first sight but that's what it was, for me at least, and that's not just looking back and remembering what I want to remember. I was floored by her, her poise, intelligence, openness, everything."

"So, you've been together ever since?" Jess asked, rolling mostly on to her tummy, resting her chin on top of one hand resting on the Jon's chest.

"I wish. No, I asked her out and we went out a couple times then I broke it off."

"What? Why?"

Travis doesn't look at Jess; he's looking out over the sand and the waves. "I was head over heels after the first date. Like I said, I was head over heels after saying 'hi' but I couldn't deny it after the first date. After the second date, I thought maybe she was falling for me, as well. I didn't see how I could ask her to be with me, a bi dude, I wasn't sure I could wall off that part of me, and I damn sure wasn't brave enough to talk to her about it."

"So, what happened?" Jon asks. His fingers softly stroke Jess's back.

"She wouldn't let me just break it off. She told me I at least owed her a reason. Believe that?" They hear the awe in his voice. "Two dates and she insisted I owed her a reason for not wanting to date? Amazing. The trouble was, I wasn't a good enough actor to hide the fact I was already crazy about her and she knew it. I think I just needed her to push me. After a few weeks and several phone calls, calls where we'd end up talking for hours about everything but us, I agreed to meet again, at her apartment, I didn't want to worry about a crowd. I felt like I was going to throw up. I managed to say what I felt I needed to say. After which, I couldn't look at her. I stared at my plate. She'd made veal piccata. She started laughing. When she did, I was sure I was going to do something stupid like cry, so I got up and forced myself to walk, not run, for the door. She got up so fast her chair fell over. You know what she told me?" He doesn't wait for an answer. "She said she was sorry she laughed, that she wasn't laughing at what I'd said, she was laughing because she was convinced I had something important to tell her, like I was dying or had leprosy or something serious."

The only sound comes from the wind and water.

"Wow, I love your wife," Jess whispers after a time.

Turbidus
Turbidus
1,089 Followers