Jeurridam Ch. 07: Henderson (Mid)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"This... is damn impossible." He said, looking at me.

"Try tearing the leaf from the stem like one inch at a time then snap the stem off halfway up the leaf." I suggested. He did so, this way of picking greens proving much easier for him. We finished sorting through the first small bunch.

"You think you can pick them by yourself?" I asked.

"Yeah..." He said, getting up to grab the second bunch. He looked around, his eyes scanning for anything out of place.

We've been camped on the southeastern edge of Henderson for a very strategic region. All other camps were northwest of our location and sitting on lower ground. As a result, we could see anything coming from that direction. Directly to the south was the Sloan outer perimeter. Nothing could come from there. To the east was vast open desert, Luke's eyes scanning the ground ahead, looking through the windows of the truck.

Despite the seemingly isolated location, were simply were on the edge of the camping grounds. It wouldn't draw attention to us being out here considering our camp looked no different from anyone else's. There was nothing to be suspicious over.

Luke returned to his seat, beginning the long process of picking greens. I grabbed the already picked bunch, rolling them up. He watched closely as I cut the bundle into wide chunks. They fell into the other kettle.

"And you think you can't cook?" Luke asked.

"I'm telling you, my brother would put me to shame. If he was here, he'd be likeno, no! You're doing it all wrong!!!!Seriously! He's the best!" I laughed.

"Really?" Luke asked, throwing a stem to the ground. It got me to thinking.

"I wonder what they'd taste like pickled..." I said. Luke looked at me, not pleased at the thought.

"I wouldn't try it... sounds gross." He said with a shutter.

"You know I'm pickling these greens right?" I asked him. He looked at me completely horrified.

"Foreal, bro?" He asked.

"Noooooooo..." I laughed, "I'm gonna salt the custard apples then saute them in worcestershire sauce along with some peppers and sausages. The greens, I'm just gonna sautee them shortly but why don't you like vinegar?"

"It smells so bad, like I can't with it." Luke responded.

"Have you ever tried it?"
"No..." He laughed.

"You know the vegetables from the other night?" I began.

"Yeah?"

"They were pickled..." I said.

"NOOOOO!!!!" He said, unable to believe it.

"I'm so serious! Go get the jar... Pop it open and you'll smell vinegar..." I said. He placed the bunch of greens in the chair, walking over to the truck. The faintest gunshot was heard in the distance.

Suddenly, Luke fell. I grabbed him before he hit the ground, this being quite strange.

"Bruh, you alright..." I asked, trying to figure out what caused him to trip. The ground was smooth around his feet. It didn't make sense. I looked at his face wondering he was staring so blankly. He didn't even blink! No breath was drawing from him, "Luke?"

Something damp was pooling in the hand I used to support Luke's head. Blood was dripping on the ground.

"Luke!" I said, shaking him but he didn't respond! I looked at that fixed face seeing something unmistakable. There was an exit wound right at his hairline. Luke had been shot! Everything around me was drowned out by silence as reality slowly began to pour in. Luke was dead...

Sickeningly familiar laughter caused me to turn around. Rion prowled around, hands behind his back.

"Were you two in love?" He asked, "You think that shit was legit? Were you trying to live yourhappily ever after?" I couldn't even come to respond. Rage began to swelter within me unlike anything I ever felt before.

"Short of words, huh?"Rion continued, "You think it was that simple? That you could just walk away?" I reached under Luke's shirt grabbing the matte beretta.

"I hope you know what you've just got yourself into..." I said through the grit of my teeth. I stood to look at the boy. Fear filled his eyes but if it was one thing I knew, fear fueled Rion. That cautious glare turned into a stomach churning smile.

"I do..." He nodded. Suddenly I was struck from behind. A sack was placed over my head as I fell. Several men were holding me down, and they had better did so! If they weren't, I'd kill Rion three times over...

BUN-BUN:

Everything at this point was in preparation for Saturday. It was going to be the official testrun for the cyberlope! I wasn't one to get excited, but damn I was out of my mind! This meant were were closer to beginning the long journey north, the journey to Labrador. I couldn't wait to hit the road with Galveston. Maybe we could grow closer together. I was just a terrible boyfriend... Every time he'd try to get closer to me, I'd push him aside for something relating to working on the machines. Truly, I've grown to really, really like Galveston and at this pace, I'd probably fall in love with him soon. The idea of love, something I thought I'd never get to experience, was right around the corner.

However, it wasn't my only concern. Galveston stood, tweaking some settings on Big Daddy. I really must had a soft spot for him. He was after all fiddling with the very precious android that was my father...

"Galvyyyyyyyy." I said.

"What?" He responded.

"Have you noticed anything strraaaaaaaannngeee since we left the Acid Swamps?" I asked. He looked around the shop, his eyes falling on the manticore sitting on one of the tables.

"Apart from seriously running out of space, I have no clue." He shrugged.

"I mean with Swish," I replied, walking over to him, "And Heaven..." He froze.

"They've gotten close!!!!! Super close!!!!!" He said, laughing.

"I'm happy for them! Heaven seriously needed this!" I sighed, sitting next to Galveston. He looked at me from head to toe before giving a brief chuckle, "What?"

"Nothing... You're just... I don't know. I keep forgetting we've only known each other for like a few months. It feels like we've known each other for forever. You have so many facets and when you show one, I'm like... reminded that I don't know every single page in your book." He said.

"Really," I laughed, "And what new facet have you seen?"

"The excited, giddy concern for someone else's well being." He said, steadily typing.

"Well, Heaven is still kind of like my little brother." I shrugged.

"I didn't mean it like..."

"I get you... I mean, I care for people and shit." I laughed, "Like, trust me..."

"I believe you..." He said.

"Well that's good..." I smiled, leaning over the laptop. I placed a small peck on his lips. Galveston was even further surprised. Maybe he just wasn't used to me being affectionate but, I don't know, it felt right with him. I felt he deserved it.

"If this was back home in the Southern Remnants..." A stern voice said, "You'd both be hanged on the grand oak tree..." It was Galveston's father, Alistair, making his way up the ramp, "Which is why I left... Forced to marry some bimbo, had to get her pregnant to consummate the marriage and nine months later, she had a child. I was just supposed to conform to the way around me and not do a damn thing about it. I wasn't happy so I took my son and headed as far west as I could..."

His words swarmed in my head, only for me to make a stark realization.

"That's why you left?" I asked.

"Yes, I was only twenty years old with a baby that could not even crawl yet." Alistair sighed, leaning against the table the manticore sat on, "I say Jeurridam is the biggest blessing in disguise to ever hit you boys..."

Just as he appeared, he vanished. It left Galveston and I looking at each other.

"Please tell me, I'm not the only one who caught that." I said, shaking my head in utter disbelief.

"No," Galveston said, uneased, "You're not the only one... Um, my dad told me from a very young age to never ask about his past and he meant it! I never did... Never would have guessed it but he didn't give me anything to guess so... but I must say this is totally awesome. The perfect way to find out your dad is cool with his son being gay is if your dad turns out to be gay himself, I see." The boy's tone was just filled with awe.

"If he wasn't your hero before, I bet he is now." I chuckled, taking over on the linguistics mapping for Big Daddy.

"You have no idea..." He said, easing onto the table behind him, "You know... I haven't told him I'm planning on leaving with you... I just was gonna do it, be gone and never come back. I thought my dad would never condone of us so there'd be no point in telling him. I'd just simply up... and vanish, but now... This changes EVERYTHING!!!!" He fell back onto the table, arms flailing to the ceiling.

"What if he says no, though?" I asked.

"I'm twenty three years old now... I think I can kind of leave when I want to. I just don't want to leave without making sure this place can run well enough without me." He said, slowly leaning up, "Which reminds me, you should be studying those plant samples!" I turned to him, a nervous grin spreading across my face.

"I promise you I am but I can't do anything without those giant protein synthesizers back in Area-51. From what I've seen of the grass, it's a bionic... Somehow cybercytes linked with the plant cells and a homogenous balance is formed between machine and plant to the point that the plant can reproduce offspring that are also half machine, half plant. Awesome, right? I know, but my big issue is with the plate mechs... They um... according to their scans, can reproduce sexually but have no genetic make up, so to speak of. They are completely machines yet there is some type of cybernetic variation and physical difference amongst them all." I said.

"Cybernetic, like...they have brains?" Galveston asked.

"Yes? I don't know?" I laughed, "I've been going over my research, my dad's old work, even asked him. He's just as surprised as I am. He mentioned something about the way cybercytes would clump together to form these links he'd call nanites when he gave them a self sustainability program. However, the clumping together of the cybercytes were not at all good for his cybernetic human research and was scrapped. After that, he left it alone."

"And," Galveston said, thinking back, "After the first run in with the manticore mech in Sloan, you made the discovery that mechs can mutate and change themselves to survive if they so happened to have that forgotten sustainability program..."

"Yeah, and I put two and two together to understand exactly what was going on. I um, it's still not one hundred percent clear to me, but I was able to piece enough together to rework the sustainability program into something called the LIFE program! Basically, instead of building all the components for the Leer by using the 3D printer, I only made the outer exoskeleton, the inner hydrocarbon containment cuticle and the liquid flesh nano-conduits. The advanced machinery inside, the mech will synthesize itself based on the information on the harddrive and the production of its on cybercytes. It's a big departure from my first designs but I got this inkling that it will work!" I said, truly excited.

"Does your dad know how drastically you changed the plans?" Galveston asked. A nervous smile came across my face.

"No... He wouldn't approve, I just know it. I took this gamble myself and, I'm a bit scared to see if it'll pay off." I said.

"Considering all of your other work, it will babe..." Galveston said, as reassuringly as possible.

"I hope so..." I said biting my nails, "Two more days until the official test run..." Galveston just smiled at me, feeling so proud of my efforts.

June and Julio came parading into the garage, parking their buggy. They cheered as they got out of the vehicle, making their way up into the workshop. Both boys just seemed too happy.

"Guys," June said with the most cheesy grin, "We had an amazing run to Phoenix! Like you think the bandits here are on some weird shit...those fools in the Sonoran are all lethal!"

"Yeah man! That was a chase to get out of there! We got some new bullet holes in the back of the buggy! Come check them out!" Julio said, leading us down the platform.

Indeed there was quite some damage to the buggy. It was riddled with bullet holes!

"Damn!" I said, running a hand across it.

"Thank god for these analog buggies! Not only can they go offroad but they can stop a cannon shell..." June laughed.

"Wait, you got shot with a cannon?" Galveston asked, utterly shocked.

"Yeah..." June said climbing under the buggy, "Here's the baby... and live too." Everyone's eyes lit up and fear.

"June get that shit out of here..." I said.

"Relax... if it didn't blow up when it hit me, it's not gonna blow up now." He said, throwing it to the floor.

"DUDE!!!!!!" I screamed as everyone cowered because of the crazy boy. June just burst out laughing.

Suddenly a loud clash followed by a flux in the power caused everyone to jolt in fear. When the lights came back on, I was on the floor clenching my head.

"Zanir!" Galveston said, lifting me off the ground. I looked at him, knowing exactly what this was.

"EMP..." I said. Shock spread across his face as we all sped out of the garage. From the distance, we could see bright explosions coming from within the Acid Swamps. All of it made my head numb.

"No, what's happening?" Galveston asked. I looked at my watch.

"Everything's fried... can't get a camera feed." I responded.

"Seriously?" Galveston asked, frustrated. If it wasn't one thing, it was another.

"GUYS!!!!" Someone called out. It was Swish, coming out of his apartment. Close behind was Beth entering from the secret path that connected The City of Rust to the Outskirts... She too saw the bright explosions from her workplace.

"What the hell is going on?" She asked.

"We don't know." I shrugged.

Just as quickly as the explosions started, they were over. Everyone looked back and forth between each other, unsure what to make of this. It then hit me!

"Galveston..." I said.

"What?"

"Those were vampire mechs! It makes sense to me now... There are a handful with sustainability protocols, a handful that take care of the others. In other words, the sustainability program causes a hive mentality..." I said.

"Oh God, you don't think..." He asked.

"The vampire mech in the lab is a queen! The others are drones!" I said, confirming his suspicions.

"That would explain why it just sat beside us watching that day while the other mechs did the dirty work... It makes sense now." Beth said stepping forth.

"They attacked within the wall... I think they went after the plate mechs." Galveston said, rushing forth.

It was about a thirty minute run for us all to reach the Acid Swamp perimeter. We stood daunted by the humongous seventy foot high wall.

"Guys..." A bright voice called out. It was Heaven, running up the hill to greet us. Someone was following him. A look of disgust spread across Galveston's face as the figure came closer.

"Darren..." He said through the grit of his teeth.

Heaven had to stop to catch his breath, completely exhausted.

"All the power is out in the lower city. What the hell happened?" He asked.

"We're trying to figure this out right now." I said.

"You alright, bro?" Swish asked, walking over to ease the exhausted boy.

"Yeah I'm alright." Heaven nodded.

"Heaven..." Darren yelled out, equally as out of breath. All eyes fell upon the boy as he stood there, "Wait... You're hanging with the Merchant Clan?"

"Darren..." Galveston said looking as standoffish as ever with those big broad arms folded tight around his chest. Darren's eyes fell upon Beth.

"Beth? You're... I ran into your brother last night!" Darren said. Everyone looked back and forth between themselves, wondering how they all had the displeasure of meeting Darren.
"Really?" She said, stepping forth, pointing to Heaven, "You mean him?"

"Wait, he's your brother???" Darren asked filled with shock.

"I have four others... gotta be more specific." Beth said, not having the patience for him.

"Ezekiel..." Darren said, steadily panting.

Everyone's eyes lit up with horror. Ezekiel was just bad news! Everywhere he went, bad luck would follow. Beth's eyes turned from a loose and impatient wander to an intense and piercing glare.

"What about him?" She asked.

"He didn't say much, was quite cryptic actually." Darren said, finally catching his breath, "He's out on his own again but this time, I think he's managing quite well. I haven't seen him look that good since ever... He also had some kid with him... I think the two are a thing. They way they looked at each other, the way they acted. Yeah, they were definitely a thing. He said they worked together in Paradise before hitting the road together."

"Wait what? So he's not living with dad anymore... He went back to Paradise after I told him not to and now he found him a little boy toy to accompany him as he parades around the fucking desert? God, I can't with this boy..." Beth said, clenching her head.

"I helped him as much as I could..." I sighed, "But as I said before, it was all up to him..."

"So you're that friend he mentioned was a great help." Darren smiled. Beth rolled her eyes, Darren's prodding nature being something Beth hated.

"Why was he in my town?" Galveston asked, stepping forth. His massive bulk made Darren take a few steps back, fearing Galveston's wrath.

"He never said why. They came and got something to eat and were gone... They were in some kind of rush but they were gone before I could ask what I wanted." Darren shrugged.

"I don't blame them... If my brother has history with you, then he knows how aggravating as shit you are! I told you not to follow me and you did. I told you to stop asking me questions... and you kept asking me shit and you know damn well I wasn't going to answer them. You're like so... Gawd, you're just aggravating." Heaven sighed. Darren just stared at the boy, Heaven's words obviously cutting deep.

"Well look here, Darren. I had no idea you were the dude my brother was having issues with but now since I do, stay away from him!" Beth threatened, "You think Ezekiel's bad... You think he's capable of some evil shit? Well I'm that with a period once a month! Come on to my little brother again... I'll slaughter your family beat your ass and then let my brother come to work the next day and tell your ass to try again..."

It was the coldest threat I've ever heard Beth give. Darren was at a loss for words, taken aback by how vicious she was. A smile came across Beth's face.

"Now run along... Scamper, scamper..." She said, shooing him off. He did so, having to look back to make sure this had just happened. Beth sighed, rolling her eyes, "That was a headache..."

"Who the hell is he?" I asked, laughing.

"Someone you don't want to know... I mean he's not a bad guy but once you befriend him... he thinks you're his and your business is his business. I fucking hate people like that... Not to mention he's a thirst trap," She said before turning to Darren, "Heaven, don't fall for his shit... In fact I don't even want you working with him."

"Well where else can I work?" Heaven shrugged.

"You can work with us..." Julio said, slapping a wrist onto Heaven's shoulder.

"Booze runs?" Heaven asked, not pleased with the idea.

"Do you like guns?" Julio asked.

"Yes." Heaven shrugged.

"Do you like a lot of money?" June asked.

"Who doesn't?"
"Do you like high speed chases in the desert?" Julio asked. Heaven and Beth looked at each other with a grin.

"Sure..." Heaven responded.

"What about sexy girls?" Julio continued.

"Not at all..." Heaven said with arms folded.

"You meet four out of the five criterion... If you want a job, you'll know where to... Zanir..." Julio said, watching my scale the giant wall.