Jogging Memories Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In time he thought he had managed to rebuild his relationship with Jennifer. He believed the encounter with Richard might have been a one-off mistake that she regretted and would not repeat.

That was until the December almost two years before his incident in the Chesterfield wood.

Bob received an anonymous email from an internet café, containing several still photographs of his wife having sex with a man whose face had been digitally fogged.

However, Bob easily recognised the torso, it was one of the new teachers on that last summer trip with the children; Bob couldn't even remember his name. For some reason that teacher had resented Bob's popular relationship with the children, as a parent. This was based on several years of being involved with them on residential and daily trips, where they fitted in with his shift pattern. The teacher had even come down to the level of challenging Bob to a race in the swimming pool at the residential location. Bob hadn't swum in years but was otherwise supremely fit through his running. The teacher was a member of the gym and games faculty apparently and wanted an excuse to show off his prowess in the pool. He had put together a two-length freestyle race involving all the teachers and parents on the trip, their favourites being cheered on by the children. The teacher built up a strong lead on the first length but Bob got into his rhythm and overhauled him by a long chalk at the finish, accompanied by rousing encouragement and celebratory cheers from the majority of the children.

The affair that disgruntled teacher had with Jennifer appeared to be petty revenge on this teacher's part for being shown up in what was otherwise a meaningless contest that Bob had assumed was just for a bit of fun.

Bob was in the process of consulting a lawyer about divorce when Jennifer resigned from the PTA, stating that the work had all got too much for her. She did not say anything to Bob about what happened. Bob checked the photos again, they were stills and her eyes appeared closed. Was she drugged? Memories of the cruise came back to him. He could forgive one mistake but a second one was a different matter.

He determined he would stay with Jennifer until Tigger left school in four years' time. The relationship between himself and Jennifer definitely cooled from that moment on. They still made love but it was routine from his point of view and the regularity declined and he hardly ever touched her otherwise and never initiated lovemaking.

He knew absolutely nothing about her restarting her affair with Richard. It was an utter shock to be confronted by her asleep in bed with her lover on that morning he had been sent home from work early due to an industrial injury.

Even after striking Richard down, leaving the room and descending the stairs, taking time to put his trainers back on that he had removed as soon as he had entered the house, his wife of nearly twenty years had made no attempt to follow him or plead with him; all her attention had been devoted to care for her lover.

Angry with himself for allowing this humiliation to happen on top of everything else, he slammed the door behind him and tried to run off the pain that wracked him. He only half noticed that his very recent arm wound had been opened up when he punched Richard as hard as he could and the blood was seeping through his bandage.

<<<>>>

All of these memories suddenly came flooding back like a torrent when Tommy held his beloved Sally to his breast on the night of the barbecue.

He could now remember every detail of diving into the two men dragging off the screaming young girl, right the way up until he lost consciousness. He dived in with no thought to his own safety, even though he was already almost at the end of his strength. All he could think of at the time was that the girl being abducted could have been JJ.

Tommy was offered bail at his first court appearance on the Monday morning following his arrest, but he declined. He had already spent Saturday and Sunday night alone in the police cells. Later they moved him from the police station to a prison, held on remand, from which he travelled to and from court. He was appointed a lawyer by the court, who automatically appealed against the severity of the sentence. Tommy wasn't happy about the appeal, as he felt he had a debt to pay for what he had done and he was prepared to pay. A young woman had been killed, while crossing a zebra crossing, a number of people received serious injuries and several cars were involved. The litany of the damage was read out in court at the time of sentencing, which only added to Tommy's torment. The only consolation for Tommy was that at least his father could not be a witness to his only son's shame.

Emma requested the opportunity to visit him to discuss what was going on between her husband Richard and her best friend Jennifer. Tommy felt he owed her an honest account of what happened when he came home from work early and what happened on the cruise ten years earlier. Emma might have forgiven her husband the recent transgressions but was bitter over the miscarriage which occurred, she believed, as a direct result of the drug Richard gave her so he could be free to seduce Jennifer.

Emma immediately kicked Richard out and closed up the house for a quick sale. Emma moved into her mother's house and immersed herself full time nursing her mother's final months. Her divorce was uncontested and quick. The house took some time to sell, though as Richard simply disappeared without trace shortly before the divorce was finalised. Emma decided to stay in Matlock rather than return to Buxton and was able to purchase her mother's house from her sisters and brother, using the proceeds from her house and a small mortgage, being able to hold down a receptionist job at a High Street opticians.

JJ kept in contact with her Aunt Emma and in her letters to her father was able to give him the news of Emma's marriage to a Ryan Burgess, a divorced house painter, who Emma met when she had her mother's house completely redecorated. JJ was a bridesmaid at the civil wedding and the church blessing which followed. JJ and Brick were godparents when Emma gave birth to boy and girl twins some time before her 38th birthday.

Tommy used a specialist lawyer to start his own divorce proceedings, which Jennifer delayed for months, during which she kept bombarding him with requests to meet with him. He ignored everything, refusing all visitors, including his children.

Brick did call on him though and, his curiosity piqued, Tommy allowed his visit. Brick pleaded on behalf of JJ that Tommy see both of them. Tommy initially refused as he didn't want any of his children to see him in the prison, but after consideration decided he was amenable to maintain contact by exchanging regular letters with them.

Brick called on him again more than two years into his sentence, this time to ask for his permission for JJ's hand in marriage; they wanted to become engaged. Sharing a flat in Cambridge, where they were both attending university, they wanted to make their status as a couple official. Brick assured "Mr B" that they wouldn't actually marry until Tommy was available to give her away at the ceremony.

<<<>>>

From his children's letters, Tommy vicariously lived their lives during his long incarceration. Tom hardly wrote to him at all, but Susannah sent regular cards for Christmas, his birthday and Fathers' Day, enclosing letters and photographs. They had married shortly before being delivered of Tommy's third grandchild, a girl, Elizabeth Jane Morris, and, much to Tom's chagrin, were still living with Susannah's parents. Tom was doing a degree course by correspondence as well as holding down a job.

JJ wrote to her father every week. She moved immediately out of the Morris family home into the Alexanders' house. JJ shared a bedroom for a time with Brick's sister, Lucy, and was made very welcome by Brick's parents. She worked part-time and during the holidays in the builders' merchants, with all the rest of the enlarged Alexander family. She rapidly earned a reputation as someone who was helpful but definitely not to be messed with. She had done very well at school too, and earned an excellent scholarship at Cambridge, the only university she was prepared to go to, as separation from Brick for any period of time was completely unacceptable to her.

Tigger stayed with his Mum, still in the family house where Jennifer continued to reside until such time that Tommy could return to claim his share of the house. Jennifer was entitled to a fifth share of the house, considering her contribution to the house since the marriage, but Tommy had conceded that he was prepared to settle for double that when the property was eventually sold. This couldn't occur until Tigger had completed university. In Tigger's last infrequent letter he did say his mother was being courted by Norman Noxon, who used to be their dentist, Jennifer had worked there as receptionist for a couple of years.

Tommy regularly corresponded with his son Brett in Melbourne, eagerly awaiting news and a regular supply of photographs of the progress of his first two grandchildren.

Tommy also wrote regularly to a number of other acquaintances, including a ghost writer who turned his story into a best-selling book, which was serialised in one of the national dailies.

Tommy was informed that his parole hearing was successful, but told that it could be up to three weeks before the release order was processed through the system. As it turned out it was three days later that he received almost 22 hours' notice of his imminent release. He called JJ's phone at the time he was allowed telephone access and was able to leave her a voicemail message. He still hadn't heard back by the time of his release, so he wasn't sure whether Brick was in a position to collect him or not. The prison issued a rail warrant, so he could catch a train home if there was no one to meet him at the gate.

Tommy carried a small light holdall, with everything he wanted to take with him from the prison. He emerged from the gate and stared up at the deep blue summer sky, offering up a silent prayer for surviving the ordeal of the last 125 weeks' incarceration, as atonement he felt he had deserved to serve.

"Dad!" came a shout from across the open courtyard in front of the prison gates and a tiny bundle of energy tore up and jumped into his arms.

"Hi, JJ, wow, you look fantastic!" Tommy said as soon as he extricated himself from the limpet-like grip of his only daughter.

Immediately behind her stood the grinning Brick Alexander, her fiancé, who extended out his hand and pumped his future father-in-law's hand furiously. Tommy pulled Brick into a three-way embrace, all three of them laughing joyously.

"A-hem," came a female voice, a familiar one to Tommy, which continued, "Hi Honey, you look well, if a little pale, sweetheart."

He looked up.

"Hello, Jennifer, you are the very last person I must admit that I expected to see here today."

"Well, it was a last minute request from our daughter, that I was quite willing to comply with, if only to get you out of my hair for a little longer," Jennifer smiled at him sweetly, "But we may have to be in each other's company for another seven or eight hours while I drive you to where you've got to go."

"OK," Tommy grinned over JJ's shoulder, "I suppose I can live with that and I agree it's about time we buried the hatchet between us. Where do you intend chauffeuring me to?"

"This is where I come in, Mr B," said Brick, reaching onto his inside pocket and bringing out a thick envelope. "In here is everything you need. You are booked into a West End hotel for the next six weeks. The address of the police station you need to check into each week for those six weeks is written down for you. Now, St George's Hanover Square is booked for our double wedding in just over four weeks' time. So we have also booked you into a bespoke tailor to be measured up for your suit and the other clothes you are going to need. All your English family will of course be there with you for the wedding and the wedding breakfast afterwards."

"I will be there too, Sweetheart, as the mother of one of the brides," his ex-wife smiled, "Especially as we are now prepared to be so friendly."

Tommy restrained himself from scowling, then smiled as he saw the humour in the situation. "I will look forward to receiving your toast on the day," he nodded. Jennifer nodded back in response.

"Also enclosed," Brick continued, not being put off his stride at all by the banter between the ex-husband and ex-wife, "Is your passport, all visa-ed up to date for your emigration to Australia. Your flight is in six weeks, following your London honeymoon. You will of course be required to check in at the British Consulate in Collins Street, Melbourne at monthly intervals for the first six months, before being finally signed off as an Australian citizen."

"How did you manage to swing that, I am disqualified, aren't I, as I have a conviction?-"

"If the Diplomatic Corps' brightest rising star can't arrange a simple immigration for his future father-in-law, I don't know who can, Dad!" Brick grinned and JJ proudly gripped her future husband's free arm with both her arms.

"But first, Dearest," said Jennifer, "We have to pick up your bride from London Heathrow when she lands in about four hours' time. This was the only flight that Sally could get at such short notice."

EPILOGUE six years later

"Oh, look, Tommy, there's JJ," said Helen, as she un-tucked her arm from Tommy's and used it to wave at the elfin young woman, who was just about showing signs of her three months' pregnancy, standing alone on the duckboards in the middle of Longshore Marina, Melbourne. JJ saw them approach and waved back with a huge smile on her face before walking towards them.

Tommy dropped the large picnic hamper he carried and put his arms around his beautiful daughter. Helen reached out and stroked her hair.

"Did you sleep well, JJ?" Helen asked.

"Yes, H, it felt odd at first, not being accustomed to bobbing up and down, but I found it quite soothing and soon got used to it. Had a nice supper, too, Nan would insist on Brett bringing her down here with some home-made soup she'd made for us!" Then she turned her attention to her father who was now smiling at her. "I never realised how noisy sleeping on boats could be though, Dad. Brick had trouble sleeping, he's having a lie in."

"No I'm not!" said the voice of her husband almost behind her. "I've been up at least ten minutes, Mr B, have visited the head, washed, dressed and cleaned my teeth and all. Oh, hi H, you do look blooming this morning."

"Thanks, Brick," Helen laughed, then paused, excited, "Oh, Lump's kicking me, come and feel."

JJ put her hand gently against Helen's much larger lump in her belly. A look of wonder crossed her face as she felt the fluttering movements. Brick and Tommy joined her in touching where JJ indicated.

"That's beautiful, Helen," Tommy commented.

"Fantastic, H!" exclaimed Brick, "I thought JJ was big but you look about ready to explode!"

JJ thumped him on the arm, "Brick! I am surprised how for a diplomat you put your foot in your gob as often as you do."

"Sweetheart," he grinned in reply, as he lifted his wife off her feet into his arms and kissed her on the lips, "You know my cheekiness is my most redeeming feature."

By now Sally and Helen's tall, athletic husband, the professional golfer Jake Ullinger, walking along arm-in-arm behind them, joined them on the jetty. Brick and Tommy shook Jake's hand after he had kissed Sally, JJ and Helen. Jake wished them all a great day on the water, his German accent barely noticeable, before taking his leave, followed by everyone's wishes for a good practice round.

JJ tucked her arm in Helen's as Brick picked up the second hamper that Jake had carried down to the dock and both Tommy and he carried them down into the boat.

"How's Jake getting on breaking in his new caddy?" JJ asked.

"So-so, he's worried that his preparation hasn't been what it usually is, with just two practice days."

Sally tucked her arm into Helen's spare arm and squeezed her. "He's happy enough, honey, he's been telling me that he's just going to relax and do the best he can. He has no unrealistic expectations, he says, just wants you to hang on to that baby until your planned break in four weeks."

"That might be what he told you, Sally," laughed Helen, "But he's itching to get revenge, missing out by one stroke last year after that poor bunker shot on the second from last. It's been nagging him for the last twelve months!"

"Is that why he is on his third caddy in as many tournaments since you had to stop carrying his clubs for him?" JJ asked.

"My Mum, who has managed us for eight years now, had to negotiate long and hard to prise this guy Solomon away from his old boss. You'd be shocked at the basic fee he is on and the bonus if Jake gets into the prize money again."

"How is your Mum, Helen?" JJ asked, "Haven't had a chance to see Sharon since we flew in yesterday."

A call from Tommy made them turn and walk down the duckboards towards the boat.

"Oh, she's fine," Helen laughed, "Still turning down Jacob's proposals, says she prefers to stay single until she finally retires next year."

"Did your Mum meet Jake's father through you and Jake, Helen?" asked Sally, who had only met Sharon and Jacob for the first time at the airport, and even then extremely briefly, two days earlier. The couple were staying at a hotel near the Royal Melbourne Golf Course, as Helen and Jake took up Tommy and Sally's guest room. Sally knew that Jacob had been retired for some time, but understood that Sharon took her management responsibilities very seriously and wanted to stay close to the action.

"No, it was the other way round, actually," Helen laughed, as Sally stepped into the boat first and JJ helped the heavily pregnant woman down into Sally's outstretched arms, the boat rising up and down in the slight swell. "Jacob bought one of the bigger houses on the development that Mum was selling in Chesterfield, while Tommy was still in the Royal. Jacob had just taken early retirement and sold his automotive spare parts engineering factory in Germany. He'd worked with and visited companies in the Midlands for most of his working life and thought it might be worth checking out if it was a good place to retire to."

"And that's where he met Sharon?" Sally asked.

"Yes," she laughed, "He bought the house while it was still just a hole in the ground and sought Mum's advice all through the building, and taking her out on 'dates' to thank you for her help. I don't think Mum cottoned on that he had fallen in love with her until he eventually proposed at the show house."

"That is so romantic, dear, Jacob is such a sweet man," commented Sally as they unpacked the hampers and stowed everything in the galley, along with the bag of towels that Helen had carried.

"Yes, I suppose so, but Mum didn't have a clue how Jacob felt about her until then. She was just rather upset one Sunday because my Dad came round to the showroom wanting to ignore their divorce and come back home. His girlfriend had kicked him out following a full-scale bust-up."

"No!" Sally said.

"Yes, Mum was just through telling Dad to sling his hook when Jacob arrived. Dad rapidly disappeared with his tail between his legs. Mum angrily explained to Jacob how Dad got his secretary pregnant while still married to Mum and had the bare faced cheek to beg forgiveness and ask for his old life back. Ooh! I must sit down, the movement of the boat is making my legs ache."

JJ guided her to a seat in the tiny day saloon of the compact vessel. On deck they could hear the crew of Brick and Tommy releasing the fore and aft lines, then the accelerating throb of the engines as the craft pulled away from the mooring. Sally handed out life jackets to the other two before putting her own one on. She helped Helen with hers.