John Opens the Bottle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Without announcement or discussion, I moved out of the Master Suite. There was enough room for all of us, but not enough Mace for me. I got only what Juan did not need or want.

Choices have consequences. I had flubbed the only two decisions I faced that mattered, the first when Mace asked whether I would marry him, and the second when Randy said simply "just say the word." I would have given anything to travel back in time, to whisper in my younger self's ear that what my younger self thought mattered did not, that all that mattered was love and the strength it provided, that when you find true love, you should hold onto it for dear life, no matter what. I could not time travel. I could only deal with the consequences of my choices. As I lay awake at night, alone in my separate room, I wondered about what might have been, the words of George Jones's "Choices" echoed in my ears. I was living and dying with the choices I had made.

If I had been stronger, I would have moved on and out of their house. But, I was getting old, and the intimate moments we all shared - over dinner, on a walk, around a fire - were more important to me now. Or so I convinced myself.

I also remained weak. I did not have the strength to leave Mace again.

Every once in awhile, I caught Mace watching me. In those moments, when everyone else receded and it was he just he and I, I knew, or hoped I knew, he was wondering what I was always wondering . . . What if.

Andres and Camilo are both surgeons. They are each married to blonde haired, blue eyed American women. They live next door to each other. They each have two boys, ages 4 and 2. All four of them call me Uncle John. The pecking order persists.

Chet and Charles are still together. They are in the Sudan, trying day by day to clear Africa of corruption and to save the world. They will fail, but they will die trying. Happily.

They have adopted six orphans, four of whom are HIV+. They are both big-hearted, committed socialists, and they will keep going so long as there are orphans, especially orphans with "the hiv."

With the help of various governments, we fund their lives. We have been remarkably successful. One Doctor and two lawyers mean we have money to burn. We send it to Africa to save orphans instead of burning it.

I visit Chet and Charles for a month every winter. Last year, Mace came along. Juan was taking the boys and their children to Colombia to meet or visit his extended family. Colombia had come a long way, but not so far that was welcome in Juan's family.

For a month in the Sudan, it was just Mace and I, like it was so long ago in that back bedroom on Tulane, when I had no idea what the contours and shapes of "always and forever" could or would be or could or would mean.

As we talked and walked, hand in hand, I felt like the "Mace and John" story was the main storyline, like Juan was the secondary character, not me. It was the favorite month of my life, me, Mace, and my son. I felt like I was living the life I should have been living all along, if only I had not been weak.

But, I had been weak. And, my weakness had cost me.

If only I had not been weak, Mace and I would have had a life together. A full life.

If only I had not been weak, Mace and I would have children together. Our children.

If only I had not been weak, I would have Mace to myself as I entered the twilight of my life. I would have him, and only him, to hold my hand and to shepherd me home.

If only . . . .

Those two simple words, those three simple syllables, those six simple letters . . . . They haunt me and will continue to haunt me until nothing can haunt me anymore.

Until then, I will know.

If only, the lightning would have stayed in the bottle.

If only, always and forever would have been forever.

If only . . .

1...345678