Just Like A Dream

Story Info
He finds love again with his first love.
2k words
4.55
23.7k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(I hope the person who wrote the song will forgive my inclusion of it in this story- along with the mention of several other songs which he has written- (and for changing his name to protect the guilty umm…. I mean innocent-) I am not conceited enough to believe I am the subject- but being unable to ask (without embarrassment-) I wrote a piece of Fiction. So J- here’s to you.)

“So- when is the next gig?” Joel asked

“Well there’s an Open Mike night as Jimmy’s tomorrow- but you know- I’m kinda busy then. Think you can go solo?” Danny asked as they were packing up from the night at the Caribe’ a local college nightspot, just off the campus of App State University.

Joel stared at Danny- unable to believe his ears- An Open Mike? Solo? Was Danny losing his MIND? Joel often performed at functions- but an open mike where he wasn’t doing covers or working with someone else was almost unheard of.

“Yeah- I can give it a shot. But should I do our normal stuff or what?”

“Joel, man, you’ve written some good stuff- Maybe you should give it a test run. It’s a shame I never met the person who inspired you. I wonder what happened to her.”

“You and me both man. I last saw her five years ago- and all I could think about was how I wished I could be the person to make her happy.” Joel snapped the guitar case, stood upright and froze. His jaw dropped in astonishment. Standing across the room- not twenty feet from him was Kayla- the woman he wished he could have lived his life with. She danced through his memory and inspired him as no Muse ever had. HE remembered the brief time that they had spent together- and regretted that he had left her.

She moved away from the bar and sat down at a single table.

He turned to Danny- “How would you like to meet Kayla, Danny?”

Danny looked at him- “She’s here?”

“Yeah- over there.” Joel smiled “and I am scared as hell- but I am going to say hi”

Kayla watched the young man who had just finished the set with his partner as they were clearing the stage for the next set of performers. She could have SWORN that the blond front man for the group was Joel- an old friend/lover from her past. Since she didn’t hear the introductions-she guessed she would never know. But the voice was very similar- a little more mature- but the same beautiful voice that had haunted HER for years, singing some of the ballads that they both loved. Until she realized that he was approaching her.

“Oh great” she thought “another guy on the make.” She pasted a smile to her face, lifted her drink and nearly choked- it WAS Joel. She hastily set her glass on the table and rose quickly to embrace him.

“Oh my Gods- JOEL- I thought that might be you! How are you?”

“I’m cool- How are YOU dear?”

“Well- let’s not discuss that here- you were great! I didn’t know you were still performing!”

“Um Kayla- this is Danny- he’s one of the group that I play with-“

The three of them sat down and chatted for a brief period- and Danny excused himself- pleading that he had to go to work.

Kayla rose to leave- “Joel- it was really nice to see you again. I hope I can run into you another time.”

“Kayla- I don’t want to be so vague. Can we talk – now?”

She glanced at her watch- looked around the café and said “no- I have to go.”

“Kay- please- there is something I need to say. I should have said it years ago- but I let fear and other people’s expectations stand in my way. Please- all I ask is a few minutes.”

She sighed-“All right- but I warn you- I can’t stay long. And I need to get out of here. Too many people know too many things. And I have to be careful.”

“Ok- let me put my case in the car- and we can go where you like.”

They climbed in his car-and drove to an old spot that they both knew and loved. Even though it was dark- they got out of the car and walked out onto the rock. Joel spread a cloak that he kept in the car for emergencies on the rocks and they sat down and stared at the stars.

“Kay- we’ve known each other a long time. You know me- inside and out. I love you- and I have since the day you teased me in the talent show about matching outfits- and how great minds thought alike. I was your first love, and I walked on air for months- just knowing that you were mine. We’ve been through heaven and hell together- and you stood by me when nobody else would. You alone stood by me, telling me to follow my dreams.

I only left you because I wasn’t given a choice. I WAS going to go to college- no matter WHAT I wanted with my life.”

Joel paused. “ I regretted leaving you. I regretted even more when I found out you had been through hell- alone- and had no way to tell me that the child you carried- MY child- was miscarried. In a way- it was good- because you got to finish school. But I know it almost killed you, and I wonder that you don’t hate me for leaving you.”

“But Kay- when I saw you several years ago- I wondered if I had made the right choices. I know the Gods sent you to me- and leaving you was the hardest thing I ever did. But you had to decide for yourself who was right for you. I saw you were unhappy- and I felt that intruding- no matter how I felt- would only make it worse. I wanted so badly then to take you and make you stay with ME- and love me. But I knew that I had come in too late. And the only thing to do- was exit. I just prayed you were happy. And I never stopped loving you. I wanted you to know that I am always here for you- and I love you.”

“Joel- This- none of it- can work. Forget me. I’m poison.”

“No”

“Yes- I am- just let go of me- forget me- I’m not worth this.”

“Kay- “

“I’m married Joel. I had no business being there tonight- I have no business here. “

“Does he love you Kay?”

“No” the anguished whisper seemed jerked out of her ”he doesn’t”

As Kay’s sobs echoed through the chill night air- Joel felt closer than ever before. His arms closed about her naturally.

“Kay- I do- I always have. If it’s being married- I can wait until you decide what you need to do.

“It’s over- I just can’t walk away.”

Joel held her- feeling helpless- “Kay- if you need to leave- pack your bags and go. Nobody will fault you.”

He kissed her gently and- whispered “I’ll have only now- if you will let me.”

When the kisses traveled from her face-and the clothes started coming away- he had no clue- just that in moments- Kay was making love to him in the wild abandon that he remembered sharing with her.

It was as if they had never separated-whispered pet names, and assurances- and an unspoken promise- that they would always be there for each other.

“Kay- come see me tomorrow. I’m performing at an open mike night tomorrow.”

“No.”

“Kay- please” Joel pleaded “you’ve been my muse for so many years- and I want to show you how much you mean to me.”

“Joel-“

“Please- I want you to hear how I feel. Then tomorrow- if you still say no- I’ll walk away- forever if you want me to.”

Kay sighed. She knew that when she got home that she was going to be packing her bags- but to go to someone she hadn’t seen in years or to start over on her own- she didn’t know. She knew that the divorce was final- and all that stood in her way was the fact that she hurt.

“I have one question Joel- if I were free tomorrow- of everything that held me back what would you do?”

“I’d beg you to come with me- start over- and never look back.”

The next night- Joel was more nervous than he had ever been- He’d selected his half hour’s work- pored over it and arranged it just so. He just hoped she’d come to hear it.

He’d planned on opening with Orange Dragon Eyed, then Isle of the Lorelei- then two of her favorite ballads, and ending with Strange kind of Love and Just Like a Dream. The four songs he had written over the years were written for her- and he wanted her to know that he loved her. This was the only way to tell her without fear of rejection.

He saw her enter Jimmy’s just moments before he was supposed to be onstage. She slipped over to him and greeted him with a kiss.

“Sorry- I got held up. “ She refused to meet his eyes- and he was afraid to ask her. But the bruises on her wrist spoke clearly enough.

“Do you need to get some medical attention?”

“No- I’m ok- I am just not going back there- tonight or ever.”

Joel’s heart soared- and at the same time he was overtaken by a black rage. Who had hurt her-and why was she protecting him?

“Don’t worry about it- He’s already being taken care of.” Kay looked at him with the sardonic grin he remembered. “When have you ever known me not to hit back?”

“Marry me?”

“No- never again.”

“Yo! Joel- you’re up”

Kay kissed him- “go get ‘em Tiger.”

She made her way into the audience and selected a place where he could see her. She raised her glass and he acknowledged it with a nod.

“Tonight someone special is here- and I want her to hear these songs and remember.”

Joel began Orange Dragon Eyed- and she remembered the discussions that they used to have about dragons and faeries and other beings- and whether or not they were real- and the Lorelei and the unearthly songs that lured people to their deaths. Then he sang two ballads that they had both loved in school- and as the tears crept down her cheeks- she realized that he was wearing his heart for this entire audience to see. At the conclusion of Strange Kind of Love- she remembered how they used to talk about reading each other’s minds- and how odd it was that they always got together when they needed each other.

Joel had captivated the audience-women were weeping quietly as he revealed his heart to them. He was giving his love to her before these people- and they wanted to know who this woman was.

Joel sang so plaintively of a love that transcended time- and allowed no barriers.

And she knew that Joel- in his own fashion had told her that he had regretted the past- and wished to change it- if he could have the chance.

She slipped backstage.

When he finished the last song, he looked out into the audience- and she was not there. Joel felt his heart constrict- He knew he had given her his heart. And she had walked away.

The applause thundered through the building- and he could not hear it- He was deaf to everything- save the breaking of his heart.

Then he overheard the voices- one of them was the announcer- and the other was- KAYLA?

He looked off to the wings where Kayla was waiting for him, and he smiled.

He reached out his hand- and she shook her head no.

The announcer gave her a shove, and Joel pulled her onstage.

“Kayla- Lets do Bridge over Troubled Waters for them.” he whispered.

She acquiesced and they did the duet that had won them several talent competitions. After 15 years- they still harmonized beautifully.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Kayla Robards and Joel Stevens!”

The applause was deafening- and as they both bowed-

“Joel?”

“Yes Kayla?”

“I’m coming home.”