Just Like The One Before

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The phone buzzed, the receptionist picked up the handset, nodded three times and then smiled her perfect red lips at Jane. "You can go through now." She stated as she replaced the handset and then pointed at the door.

Behind the large imposing mahogany style wooden desk which was completely out of keeping with the rest of the office, sat Michael Abbey. His short blonde wavy hair, with his smooth chiselled jaw, and muscular shoulders pushed up through his stylish open necked blue shirt. The strong smell of aftershave permeated the room. Jane stood there fixed to the spot, almost mesmerised by him. Just as Clarissa had informed her, Michael Abby, as per the photos online, was very pleasant, and extremely easy on the eye.

His office was large, with a corner window looking out over central London, the various well-known landmarks within almost touching distance of the office. On the opposite corner was a large 3D model laid out under a sheet of glass on an equally large table of what looked like a town. Streets, trees, and large open spaces all expertly made in a grey plastic material.

"Hello Jane." He calmly stated, his accent of nowhere, hints of everywhere. His voice was equally delicious to her ears. Jane's focus was taken from looking at the model to looking at his soft looking clasped hands, positioned on top of detailed hand drawn plan. It was clearly a meticulous drawing, inked lines sprawled across the large white sheet in front of him.

"Err, hello!" she nervously replied. "Sorry if I get this all wrong, I have never interviewed for a house before."

He briefly laughed "Don't worry, if you hadn't agreed to the rules, and done such a great job with the questionnaire, we wouldn't have reached this point. Would we?" He stood up, and politely offered her his hand, in shear nervousness, Jane offered her hand as she took in his 6" plus full height she did not realise that the hand she offered had the half empty cup of coffee in it, throwing the contents across the room, all over his drawings which were sprawled across his desk.

"Oh fuck, oh so sorry!" she swore as he calmly folded up the coffee covered drawings and pushed them off his desk and into the bin on the end. Leaving him with a clean bare desk.

"Oh, don't worry, I can easily print them out again." He calmly smiled. "These things happen."

"Oh, fuck, sorry, I need this house, I am so sorry for ruining your drawings. Fuck, sorry for swearing too."

"Please, don't worry, everything is fine. Calm down, please sit down. All I need to do is ask you a few questions."

Jane promptly and guiltily sat down in the soft chair opposite the now empty desk. "Sorry."

"Please stop saying sorry."

"Okay, but I am sorry."

He tutted showing a hint of frustration and then moved on, "I guess you have some questions about the house?"

"Yes, I have!" Jane replied as she opened her handbag and pulled out and looked down at a scrap of paper, she had nervously written some notes. "Are all bills actually included?"

Michael smiled and nodded "Yes, the house has a lot of computer power hidden away, I cannot expect you to pay for it."

Jane smiled. "That certainly helps with my budgeting."

"Anything else?"

"I note that the term is twelve months rather than the normal six?"

I large smile crept across his face, "Ah yes, I feel that you need to grow into this house, six months are far too short. By the time you have got to know each other you might want to leave."

"So, I am stuck for a whole year?" she queried.

Michael nodded, "Unless you break any of the rules, then unfortunately you are out, but I doubt that would happen. But it must be said again if you do break any rules, then you are out. There is no discussion about it." He said with finality.

"I hope it doesn't get the point where that would happen."

"That is good to hear!"

Jane looked down at her sheet of paper and nodded to herself, "Allowing of house tours?" She asked.

A grin crossed Michael's mouth, "Ah yes every 6 months or so the local college or other such institutions are required to be let it for a tour, it will only be an hour, later on in the term, I visit them and give a talk."

"So, the house is turned into a modern national trust house for the morning?"

"Exactly!" Michael grinned and clasped his hands together triumphantly. "They will be there only for a half an hour, an hour max."

"Oh, I guess I can work with that." She nodded in appreciation before glancing down at her sheet. "Right, Curtains?"

"Pardon?"

"I noted that there are no curtains in the bedroom, err what about privacy from prying eyes?"

He smiled and took a deep triumphant breath as rocked back on his large grey leather chair. "Ah, yes, all the glass within the house is privacy glass, it uses electro-chromatic technology, as night falls, the glass will protect you from prying eyes."

"So, I will be able to sleep without a facemask?"

"Yes, of course. You could dance naked by the window, and no one would notice." He laughed.

"Oh, right, okay, I will bear that in mind!" she nervously chuckled along.

"Any further questions?"

"Did I do okay with the questionnaire?"

Michael smile grew, his dimples dug deeply into the side of his warm face, "Well, you're here for the interview, so many of the others didn't even make it to this stage!"

Jane nodded. "That's good news!"

"It is, I believe you're the right person for my house!" he smiled again clasping his delicate hands together.

"Well, I do want to live there?"

"Great, I've only got a couple more questions from me, where do you see yourself in five years' time?"

Jane blinked several times "Pardon, is this a job interview or for a house?"

Michael nodded and stoked his smooth shaved chin "I want to see the occupant develop in the house. I want to know where you will be?"

"What?"

"The house is designed to help you develop as a person, help with moods, thoughts, and movement. It's the first in the world."

"I don't know, I have just broken up with my boyfriend, don't worry, there is not a chance of getting back together with him. He has thrown me out and I want to get off a rather uncomfortable sofa bed!"

"Oh, yes, you stated in the questionnaire your last sexual partner was a month ago, and before that 5 years ago."

"Yes...I was loyal...why so personal?"

Michael shrugged his shoulders, ignored the question "That's great to hear."

"Okay, oh, yes, how about the bracelet's those door things, who has them?"

Michael chuckled, you, me, the cleaner and the agents."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, it's an intelligent house, but we don't want to confuse it."

"What it's a...an intelligent house?" Jane questioned.

"Yes, well as you are aware from the viewing, we make sure the agent highlights our world leading virtual housekeeper which my boffin colleagues especially Jason Bratby have worked extremely hard over the past few years, and with Kaizen intuition we continually update to ensure perfection, because the house has been designed, to look after you."

Confusion crossed Jane's face "Virtual what, Kaizen? I am intrigued, look after me? Anyway, I have a steady job, recently been promoted, I work in water, I am not sure what will happen in five years' time, I often state I hope I am not down the drain?"

Michael snorted at her attempt of humour, "No plans for any children?"

"No...not now...seeing, as you know..." she shrugged her shoulders. "I have no bee, for this bird!" she tried to be clever.

"That's very good to hear." He almost purred, "To let you know, the automated housekeeper will regularly ask you questions, as to determine your state of mind, and thoughts as to assist its machine learning."

"What the...?"

"It and we will need to know more about you, don't worry, I can provide to you, in time, with the reports, it helps us all learn the way you are thinking in certain situations, if you are calm, stressed, and the reasons behind it, or if the mood takes, that you just want to dance." He bopped his head momentarily on his shoulders.

The mood instantly relaxed as Jane giggled at his awful chair dancing style, as confusion still reigned across her face, "When can I move in?"

He paused, clasped his hands over the desk and nodded encouragingly at her, "Having looked at your questionnaire..." he paused and blankly stared at her, for what felt like eternity before smiling "...I can confirm Monday?"

"Oh, thank you so much. I could hug you; I see I have been living on my friend's sofa, I really needed this house."

"I need an occupant for my house, it's a win, win situation." He pulled open his desk drawer and retrieved an equally grey printed card with MAA printed on the back. "Please call me at any time, night or day regarding the house, it's important to me, and I hope you learn to love it."

"Thanks, I am sure I will, anyway, again sorry for spilling the coffee." She smiled taking the card from his manicured fingers, studying the details, before placing it in her bag.

Chapter 4

"Jane babes, wow, this house is such an amazing place, what a find, you are so lucky!" Jenny replied as before huffing as she helped carry a cardboard box into the atrium placing it on the kitchen table before spinning around taking the whole place in wonderment.

Jane shrugged a little bashfully "I think so!" she replied a little nervously whilst her mouth giving the game away as she was brimming wide with pride.

"That lock thing feels extremely secure, and the bracelet is gorgeous, what a party trick!"

"I know, its freaky that it already knows it's actually me, but I guess it's because this morning the estate agent came round to work, handed over my personal bracelet, then helped me download the MAA Housekeeper app on my phone and laptop, I am now fully integrated!" she said in a faux electric generated voice.

"What?"

"Yeah, I am truly connected to this building now, I think the building tracks me on the bracelet and phone!"

"Wow, crazy!"

"I know, it's all about the geography of the build. Where I move and how I move around will help the architect design better more ergonomically flowing houses in the future."

"Well, hello little guinea pig. Shall we call you Fluffy now?"

"Oi! They both laughed.

"At least when here on your own, you have the housekeeper to say hello to you."

Jane chuckled as she placed her equally large cardboard box on the kitchen table. "I just now must put this all away without leaving any mess. I am not even allowed any of my books out anywhere."

"What, but you love reading?"

Jane rolled her eyes, "Tell me about it, it wasn't until I moved to yours, that I realised I had quite so many...I will have to try and hide my library in a house with minimal cupboards, I am sure I will find a place somewhere." She looked around twisting her mouth and wincing. There was nowhere obvious.

"Oh, babes, such fun, what a mission, I can stay and help for a bit."

Jane smiled and nodded her head, "Thanks! That would be amazing help. Let's get my suitcase from the car."

"Great, I will have a quick ciggy outside then help you unpack!"

Jane enthusiastically nodded, "We can then have a drink, I am looking forward it, unpacking and then having a drink, thank you so much for the wine too!"

"I hope you are allowed?"

"A drink?"

"Yeah?" Jenny nervously looked around the room.

"I really hope so!"

***

Both girls smiled triumphantly as they looked around the kitchen dining room area, everything had been put away, it was if nothing had been brought in, all the cupboard doors were successfully closed. Clothes hung on hangers in the wardrobe, or folded in the drawers, there wasn't a thing of Janes that was out of place.

"I honestly thought this industrial look would be cold, but this house is snug as!" Jenny stated as she poured the prosecco into the glasses.

"It's the underfloor heating throughout, thermostatically controlled; I am thinking I shouldn't need slippers!" Jane stated confidently, as she knew what she was talking about, having read some of the information on the house.

"Well, that's all good. Cheers to your new home." They clinked glasses and took a gulp.

"Thank you so much for helping me move in." Jane replied. "It would have taken me hours by myself."

"Oh, no problem, let me have a good nosey, I am so coming back to play in that pool!" Jenny grinned.

"I think it's more of paddling pool, or a pond?" Jane replied. "Anyway, thanks again!" They clinked their glasses once more and took a sip. "You should see the instructions to work the shower, this bracelet does everything!"

"Wow, how cool, I'll just quickly pop outside again for five." She rolled her eyes. "Then I'll have a read!"

"Ah, yes, sorry...don't want to break any rules on day one!"

Jenny shrugged her shoulders "Its fine, I am used to it." She frowned. "Pesky things, I so should have quit them, back when you told me too."

"Oh yes, I did? You lasted about two days?"

"Yes, I know you tried to persuade me at the time, but you have so much better will power than me!" she sighed loudly, shook her head once more, noticeably cross with herself as she grabbed her bag.

"I feel even now, so much better for not smoking!" she grinned.

Jane's phone loudly vibrated on silent on the tabletop and a soft feminine voice interrupted them and "Please light up." The female voice calmly but loudly echoed around the room.

"Pardon?" With fear crossing their faces, Jenny looked at Jane, and Jane looked back blankly before they both looked around them inquisitively.

Jane shook her head "It wasn't me; I didn't say anything!" she equally looked around confused picking up her phone which the now white screen stated in bright bold red letters across the middle, "Please Light up". She showed the screen to Jenny, confusion cross their faces, they were both were trying to work out where the voice was coming from.

"Please light up." The feminine voice again calmly repeated maybe a notch louder as the two of them silently stared at each other across the grey polished granite tabletop. They then both spent a second or two looking around them. "Please light up." The voice repeated once more again a notch louder, the sound coming from hidden speakers within the fabric of the whole house.

"Oh fuck, what is going on?" Jane broke the momentary silence with panic etched in her voice whilst intently looking at Jenny's bag, her pack of cigarettes almost falling out from near the zip.

"Does the house want me to have a cigarette?" Jenny asked her hand nervously reaching her pack.

"I don't know, I guess so, I hope so. It's freaking me out?" Jane looked around confused. Both women looked at each other shrugging their shoulders with confusion.

"Please light up." The automated voice continued.

"I guess you better do?" Jane stated encouragingly. "It might shut her up, it's like an opposite fire alarm?"

Jenny shrugged her shoulders, bamboozled by the situation, she stretched over to her bag, pulled a cigarette and her lighter from her pack and with the flame dancing from her lighter, she swiftly got her cigarette alight. She exhaled the grey cloud up towards the light grey ceiling, the smoke dancing and twinkling in the recessed spotlights before being sucked as it disappeared into a vent up near the ceiling. "I guess that is what it meant?" she asked as she flipped over the metallic lid from the prosecco lid to use as an ashtray.

"How did it know that you needed a cigarette?"

"I don't know, but I might find this house is seriously cool, can it hear your thoughts? It's amazing but strange!"

"It's amazing it wants you to smoke in here, not allowed to do anything else!" Jane grinned and sipped her wine.

"Please light up."

"Oh, what, come on house?" Jane's shoulders sank as she looked at Jenny and then around the room. "What do you want, Jenny is smoking?"

"Maybe you should ring the landlord and ask what is going on?" Jenny asked as she flicked her ash into the small metallic foil of the prosecco lid.

"Please light up."

"Does it want you to have a cigarette too?" Jenny further enquired as she hurriedly brought her filter back to her lips, pulling the smoke hard in to her lungs, thinking that might solve it, before exhaling.

"You know me, I don't smoke, I don't need a cigarette?"

"Please light up."

"Was smoking one of the rules?" Jenny again waved her smoke away from her face.

Jane screwed her face up thinking, "Oh, hell, there was something about it, but the agent thought it was a typo, oh, I don't remember there are like something like two hundred of them. I had a questionnaire where I had to state whether I was a non-smoker, and for how long, I am sure I picked the right box?" Jane practically hyperventilated.

"Come one, she is getting angrier?"

"Please light up." The voice said even louder.

"I really don't want to smoke!"

"Babes, you better take one?" Jenny offered her the pack.

If Jane's shoulders could sink any lower, they did, as she violently shook her head. "It took me ages to quit. I was so proud of myself."

"Come on, it will just the one, like the old times?" Jenny grinned.

"I can't?"

"Please light up."

"Come on you can, you must?"

"I really can't!"

"Please light up." The voice echoed around the room.

"I think you're going to have to?"

Jane sighed loudly "I really hope this is one off!" Jane replied almost glaring at Jenny looked up to the ceiling. "Please fuck off!" Jane hastily snapped as she shouted back as she pulled the filter from the pack in front of her and placed it between her lips. She kept tutting and shaking her head in disgust with herself.

"Jane babes, calm down, don't fall out with your new house, you've only just moved in, and remember it's only a cigarette!" Jenny grinned as flicked her lighter and Jane rolled her eyes, then leaned forward and connected the tip of cigarette with the flame.

She hacked a cough, and shook her head, then picked up her wine and took a couple of soothing mouthfuls before pulling a face and sticking her tongue out.

"Like riding a bike, eh?" Jenny chuckled.

"Ughh, they still taste awful, it's been like nearly ten years!" Jane replied before again sticking her tongue out and holding the burning cigarette away from her body.

"But listen babes..." they sat there cocking their ears to the room, there was no sounds with the exception of the gentle fizz of the burning cigarettes, "...its, silent... I mean somehow the house is now happy?"

"But how?"

"Who knows, but come one girl enjoy, I haven't had a proper smoke indoors for years!" Jenny giggled before her filter again touched her lips as she pulled the smoke into her lungs as they sat there quietly, Jane again brought her filter to her lips and took an extremely gently pull of smoke, desperately trying not to inhale, before blowing the smoke out of her mouth.

"Thanks, I think... it's going to take a while to get used to this house!" Jane grinned. "The owner said both I and the house need to learn to get on."

"In that case, shall I leave you a couple of ciggies for later on?" Jenny grinned.

Jane violently shook her head "Hell, no!" she glared as she replied and picked up her glass as she took another sip of her wine. "No need at all, I don't smoke!" she almost shouted, knocking the ash of her cigarette on the makeshift ashtray.

Jenny looked across at the burning cigarettes between their fingers, then to the wall where the 'Housekeeper' screen was now green and happy, then back to Jane, she smiled, and then nodded knowingly.

Chapter 5

Jane stood waiting under the shower head, she had undressed, carefully hung up her snuggly and warm white fluffy dressing gown on the appropriate hook. You had to press it in, for it to pop out of the wall, and when finished pop it back in again. They had thought of everything in designing the house. She waved her hand and arm, with the bracelet as close to the polished black tile as she could get it without scratching against the wall, she then looked up and stared angrily at the holes of the shower head and waited, willing the water to come. She stood there in anticipation of the water to appearing.

123456...8