Keep Your Eyes On The Prize!

Story Info
Melissa's dreams of stardom turn out unexpectedly.
8.2k words
3.87
12.4k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Flicking through a celebrity gossip magazine, Melissa Webb reclined back on a pink leather cushioned chair, waiting for the Senior Hair Stylist to become free.

Her appointment was supposed to be ten minutes ago, but Salon 404 seemed to be busier than the usual Thursday afternoon.

Cheerful pop music and chatter between the staff and clients filled the air, as Melissa looked at the articles of glamorous celebrities showing off their wealth and success. The pretty 22 year old brunette lived with her parents near the Essex town of Basildon, their modest semi-detached house was not a match for the impressive Hollywood mansions on the pages of the magazine.

Staring down at the magazine, Melissa smiled to herself as she started to daydream of how wonderful it would be to become famous, the beautiful dresses, designer shoes, parties, film premieres...

"Miss Webb, Miss Webb?"

Melissa's thoughts were suddenly disturbed by the voice of the Hair Salon's receptionist attempting to get her attention.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Miss Webb, we should be ready for you in a couple of minutes."

Melissa nodded and lifted her hand to brush her fringe away from her eyes. Placing the glossy magazine on the table in front of her, the young woman reached further forward and picked up a local newspaper.

The stories in the paper seemed to be dull and depressing, as Melissa turned page after page. She was about to put the newspaper back on the table as the football and sport sections were of no interest to her either, when she saw a page full of small adverts.

One in particular stood out. Melissa became more than a little excited inside as she read its words from the page.

-

FAME SEEKERS WANTED!

We are looking for contestants for a new live streamed TV game show where an international audience will see everything you have to offer in a chance to win some big prizes. 18+ only. Email photo and details, and we will respond to you.

-

Melissa glanced up and saw the Salon's receptionist walking towards her. Quickly, she pulled her iPhone from her handbag and took a picture of the advert.

Getting up, Melissa smiled again at the receptionist as she guided her towards her usual Stylist Mark's chair.

As she waited for him, Melissa looked at herself in the mirror, her eyes bright as her mind raced through the possibilities an appearance on TV could bring.

"Hi there Melissa," Mark rested his hand on the barbers chair, "What look are we thinking of today?"

****

Light rain splashed into the pavement, as Melissa opened the glass door of the Salon and waved goodbye to Mark.

Holding her handbag above her head to partially protect her new hairstyle from the rain, she moved as quickly as she could in an effort to avoid the small puddles now forming on the road.

Pressing the key button with her slender fingers, the indicator lamps of Melissa's pale blue Fiat 500 flashed as it unlocked. Pulling at the chrome door handle, she briskly got inside the small car, before putting her handbag on the passenger seat and closing the door shut.

Melissa reached inside her handbag to take out her mobile. She was still thinking of the newspaper advert, and how exciting it could be if she made it on the show.

She eagerly started to type out an email, saying how she had seen the advert and wanted to apply, and how it was her dream to appear on TV. Melissa looked down at the casual loose fitting top, leggings, and Adidas trainers she was wearing, deciding that despite her new hairstyle, a better picture was needed than just a simple in-car selfie.

Looking hurriedly through her old Instagram posts, Melissa saw a picture of herself looking fabulous in a dark coloured Pinghe neoprene dress that was taken at a friend's birthday party a few weeks ago, and she knew immediately that this was the one to attach to this important email.

Soon her index finger tapped 'Send' and the email was gone. Melissa smiled broadly to herself as the rain fell more heavily and ran down the blue car's windscreen. She hoped so much that this would be her big break at last.

Slowly driving away, Melissa decided to herself that she would keep quiet about the game show. She had previously completed application forms before for X-Factor, Big Brother, and a number of other television shows. After weeks of talking to her friends and family non-stop about them, she discovered each time that she had been turned down for every one.

After a short drive from the town centre, Melissa steered her Fiat onto the driveway of her home to where she could see her father Stephen was standing, holding open the front door with his body. As his daughter got out of her car he spoke to her sounding a little impatient, "You're back at last, come inside your mother is just getting dinner ready."

"Sorry Dad, I'm coming now." Melissa hugged her father as she passed, before making her way towards the kitchen. Sitting down at the dining table, she felt her iPhone vibrate. Looking at the screen she saw she had a new email.

Upon opening her inbox Melissa saw it was a reply to her earlier mail. Her heart beat quickened as she clicked on the message and started to read it.

-

Good Evening Melissa,

Thank you for your application to appear on 'Keep Your Eyes On The Prize!'

I am pleased to say that after considering your application we feel that you are just the ideal fame hungry and beautiful young woman, with the apparent required level of intelligence, that we have been looking for in this special one-off European edition of the show.

Please read the attached material release and other relevant documents, and then reply to this email as your agreement of these.

We will forward details of the filming location when we hear back from you.

Yours,

Kieran King,

Director and Presenter,

I.F.H. Productions.

-

Melissa wanted to scream and shout out loud in happiness at being selected. With her mind now completely caught up in the excitement of this amazing opportunity, she started to type a reply to the email, but was almost immediately interrupted by her mother placing a plate of potato mash, peas, and sausages in front of her onto the table.

"I wish you would stop playing with that phone of yours?" Her mother Gemma's voice quietened in volume as she stepped into the kitchen to retrieve another plate of food. Melissa resolved to stay silent about the show until after it was filmed. She giggled quietly a little to herself at thought of keeping her chance at fame a secret.

Melissa finished typing her reply and sent it just as her mother came back into the room and sat down. "Do put that thing down, just eat your food." Gemma gestured towards her daughter with a fork. "Have you been at work today Melissa?"

Her phone vibrated again as another email came through. "No mum, I was out of the office today. I went to, err, the Salon..."

Melissa's words tailed off as she picked up her iPhone and read the latest email. It simply stated that filming was starting at Saturday 8pm, the following night, and gave an address and postcode which sounded like some sort of business address.

Looking up, Melissa saw her mother shaking her head. Putting her phone down, Melissa picked up a fork and placed some of the mashed potato into her mouth.

****

Saturday afternoon soon came, and with her parents out shopping at Bluewater, and then meeting with friends, Melissa had the house to herself. Loud dance music echoed through her home as she came out of the bathroom, a white towel wrapped around her moist skin.

Wanting to look her very best for the show, Melissa had already decided what to wear. Glancing at the bed, laid out on it was the same black Pinghe pleated neoprene dress she wore in the picture she had sent. Next to the dress was her favourite matching black and grey lace detailed bra and panties, and a pair of dark coloured tights. Melissa's black peep-toed Michael Kors' high-heeled pumps sat next to the bed ready for her to put on.

Sitting in front of her mirror, Melissa carefully applied her make-up. Dark eye-shadow and bright red lipstick completed her look.

The front door of the semi-detached house opened, and finally Melissa was ready to go. She took one last look at herself in the hallway mirror. Her short black hair framed her pretty face, make-up immaculate, and the tight-fitted dress followed the curves of her young body perfectly. Its classy design had a high neck line, and it's pleated hemline was just below the knee.

Melissa's high heels clacked on the concrete as she walked towards her car. Getting into the little Fiat, butterfly's in Melissa's stomach grew as she knew she was now only less than an hour away from being on TV for the first time, a dream she had held so close since she was just a small girl.

Following the sat-nav instructions, Melissa drove her pale blue car away from Basildon, along the A127 and towards the East End of London. The address she had been given seemed to be in a large industrial estate near the river. The businesses Melissa drove past where closed and deserted on this dark Saturday evening. Doubt started to creep into her mind over if she was being led in the right direction, when suddenly her sat-nav spoke and said that she had reached the address.

Turning off the road, Melissa parked her Fiat next to a large white van which seemed to have foreign number plates. Switching off the engine, she looked up at the anonymous looking grey industrial unit and thought it hardly had the appearance of a television studio that she had been expecting. A pair of large roller shutter doors dominated most of its frontage, but Melissa noticed a smaller door within one of them.

Stepping out of her car, Melissa looked around before making her way to the door, nervously clutching her black tote handbag to her chest as she walked.

The small door opened just as Melissa approached. "Come on in Miss Webb, we have been expecting you." A strong American accent spoke the words unseen from behind the roller shutter.

Melissa ducked a little as she came through the doorway, before being greeted by a smiling man wearing a black tuxedo, crisp white shirt, and a black dickie-bow tie.

"Hi Melissa, I'm Kieren King!" He looked in his late 40's, clean shaven, with his greying black hair neatly combed.

"Thanks for coming, you look so amazing! " Kieren continued as he took Melissa's hand and guided her further into the building towards a side room a few yards away.

"OK, so you've read the material release form and those other documents too then Melissa?"

Kieren looked around at her awaiting a response, as Melissa suddenly realised that in her excitement at getting the email she hadn't read a word of them.

Melissa stammered a little, "Yes, I, err, did read them a bit?"

Kieren smiled again, showing even more of his perfect white teeth. "Aww, Melissa! I love it when you girls are so excited about being all famous, you forget to read all those silly legal things hey?"

Melissa giggled awkwardly, "I am so sorry, I'm just so grateful you've invited me onto your show, I just can't wait!"

"I just love that British accent of yours, we are just going to have a great Euro show tonight. Just quickly sign these two forms and we can get ready to start." Kieren spoke as he gestured for Melissa to sit on a plastic chair, passing her a pen and the paperwork that had been sat on a small table in the corner of the room.

Kieren continued speaking, "I'm sure you will be great tonight Melissa. You seem just the English rose our viewers all around the world will want to see plenty of I'm sure!"

Melissa looked up at Kieren, her nerves easing a little at hearing his nice comments. "I've not heard of this program before, is it going to be on television abroad then?"

Kieren laughed a little before answering, "That is a good question indeed Melissa. Well, it's an internet based show, that we usually film in locations like the Balkans, Russia, or Central America. That is where we find usually find out most talented contestants and ideal candidates for future projects too."

He lifted his right hand, running it through his hair as he watched Melissa sign the front page of each document, with her ignoring the other pages stapled to them.

"Our viewers love what we do so much that they pay to see each episode. We let them email in some comments and questions too of course."

As he finished speaking, a large, well built man with a weather beaten face came into the room. "I must leave you now Melissa to get ready and speak with the other contestant, but Alexi here will take care of you."

Taking the pen and documents from her, Kieren purposefully walked out of the room, leaving her and Alexi together.

"I am Alexi. My english bad. "He pointed at Melissa's handbag. "You have bag, car keys, and phone to leave here in room, yes?"

Alexi stepped forward and took Melissa's bag from her, placing it gently on the floor.

The man looked at the chunky silver watch on his wrist, before meeting Melissa's eyes again.

"OK showtime! You come here." He scowled a little as he said the words, before lifting his right hand to his shaven head to scratch it.

Alexi then beckoned Melissa to her feet, ushering her out of the room and towards another door. The noise of her high heels as she walked echoed around this part of the cavernous industrial unit.

Stepping through the doorway, Melissa looked on at the set of the game show emerge as she walked towards it. Spot lights were directed on a plain stage on which three dark blue podiums were placed. An electronic scoreboard was attached to the front of both the outer ones, their display currently reading zero.

Off to the side of the stage in the darkness, Melissa could see the outline of some other equipment. Male voices speaking in a foreign language could be heard by her just beyond.

"You stand there, we start soon." Alexi pointed to the right hand podium. Melissa walked toward the blue rostrum and stood behind it. Looking down, a bright red button sat on top of it.

Melissa started to become nervous again as she sensed the show was about to begin. She could feel her mouth become dry, and felt a sense of worry rise in her as she realised how little she actually knew about what she had agreed to appear in.

Her eyes darted around as she saw Alexi behind a camera pointing in the stage's direction. Looking to her side, Kieren walked out of the gloom and made his way to the central podium.

Looking beyond Kieren, another man then stepped up behind the other podium. The middle-aged male raised his right hand and waved at Melissa. He was casually dressed in a purple patterned shirt and jeans.

Before Melissa could take in any more of what was happening, a voice from the darkness started to shout out, "Cinco, Cuatro, Tres, Dos, Uno!"

Suddenly lights behind the stage started to flash and cheerful upbeat music began to play loudly.

Melissa started to take shorter breaths as she looked around, her eyes struggling to focus between the darkness off the stage, and the bright spot lights shining at her. Squinting slightly, she could just make out the shape of Alexi behind a camera now pointing at Kieren, a red light illuminated on it's front.

A pre-recorded voice bellowed then from the speakers around the stage as the music's volume dropped slightly. "Ladies and Gentleman, Welcome to another edition of 'Keep Your Eyes On the Prize!' With your host, Kieren King!"

The music faded away slowly, as canned applause was played for a few moments.

"Oh thank you, thank you, you're so kind!" Kieren smiled broadly as he waved his hand to a non-existent audience in front of him.

"You join us tonight in London, England for a special Euro edition of 'Keep Your Eyes On The Prize!', where we meet two contestants ready to do battle for the ultimate prize!"

"Let's meet our first contestant, please introduce yourself?" Kieren theatrically waved his right hand in the direction of the purple shirted man.

Adjusting his spectacles slightly he started to speak, "Hello, I am Oskar Torsten. 35 years old. I live Germany, in a village near Munich, and I am an electronics engineer."

"Thank you Oskar, thank you!" Kieren then turned towards Melissa. "I know so many of you have been looking forward to this edition of the show, as we have a very special young English woman here tonight as our second contestant. Please introduce yourself my dear?"

Melissa listened to Kieren speak and saw the camera turn towards her. This was it, her chance to make it at last. She had to be as enthusiastic as she could despite the increasing nerves inside her.

"Hi everyone! My name is Melissa Webb. I'm an Office Worker, I'm 22, and from Basildon in Essex!" Her words gushed out before she waved at the camera excitedly.

The host down the camera, "That's great Melissa thank you so much. It's great to have you both here. Let's start the show with the best of three round, the fastest on that button gets to answer."

Kieren picked up a stack of cards from this podium and turned towards Oskar.

"As we are in London, the questions are about England. What is the capital city of the Untied Kingdom?"

Melissa quickly pressed her right hand down on her button. Despite it being depressed firmly, nothing seemed to happen. Suddenly she heard a loud electronic chime and looked across to see the front panel of Oskar's illuminated brightly.

"London!" Oskar shouted out with a gleeful expression on his face.

"Well done Oskar, That's five points. Let's ask another." Kieren shuffled his question cards and looked back at the camera.

"Who was the English Monarch between June 1377 and September 1399?"

Melissa had no idea of the answer as she looked over at her opponent who appeared equally puzzled by the question. Suddenly her podium made its own noise and flashed brightly without her hand having touched the button.

The camera focused on the young woman's surprised expression, as Kieren turned to her, "So Melissa what's your answer?"

Confused, she desperately tried to come up with a response. "Errm, I don't know? Queen Katie?"

Kieren looked on at her shocked face, "I'm very sorry Melissa, it was Richard II I'm afraid. You lose 5 points."

Kieren moved his hands to pick another card, "Next question. Where does the British Prime Minster live?"

Before Kieren had even finished his words, she pressed hard down on the button this time with both her hands. Melissa immediately heard Oskar's buzzer sound, with him then shouting out the answer loudly.

"Downing Street!" The German laughed to himself after he gave the answer.

Kieren smiled at Oskar, "Well done, that's correct and it gets you another 5 points. You win the round, ten points to minus five."

"Melissa, not such a good start for you, no?" The host turned to her pointing with the question card in one hand.

"I think my button is not working properly?" The young woman's eyes darted rapidly between Kieren and the camera now pointing again at her.

She continued on, "I pressed it and ..."

Kieren abruptly cut across her words, "Melissa, I think Oskar just straight up beat you in that round."

He smiled at the young woman, but Melissa could not believe that he spoke over her so rudely.

She watched on, her eyes narrowed in frustration, as Kieren picked up an iPad from within his rostrum and studied its screen, his fingers swiping and tapping at it as he was speaking.

"Our next round will be about England's medieval history, but first let's look at your emails and messages coming in. Tito from Minsk says he thinks how pretty Melissa is, Leon in Detroit says he wants to see more of her too, and Marek from Slovakia wants to see Melissa get to all the way to the end of the show."