Keeping It in the Family Ch. 02

Story Info
Detective McNamara works to put the Hines' behind bars.
4.1k words
4.25
15k
24
0

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/30/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Listen, Chief, this time I have it nailed down perfectly." Kelly McNamara hastily shadowed her boss' steps through the police station, clumsily walking into her hard-working, much more experienced colleagues who seemed to have more resent than respect for the Irishwoman—probably because she just wouldn't let that case go, despite repeatedly being told to back off on it. Her lush red hair swept sideways as she sharply turned to avoid yet another desk, still hot on the Chief's tail. Kelly was certain there was definitive proof that suggested there was more to the Hines family than what was being let on.

"Jesus, this again?" Chief Parks had pretty much gotten tired of Kelly's incessant ramblings and obsession with the Hines'. It wasn't the first time Kelly had 'definitive proof' to offer, but Parks was certain it would be the last. Kelly had shown promise when she first arrived at Bridgewood PD, but that seemed to lose its shine upon getting involved in a 'case' that wasn't even official, rather something she found odd and out-of-place. "Lay off it, McNamara."

"But my source—"

But her source. Fine—Parks was willing to throw a bone just one more time, else he'd have to seriously consider reprimanding Kelly for wasting police resources on a wild goose chase. It wouldn't look good on her record and even worse on the department. Kelly stood behind him in wait, nervously clutching a report she'd hastily written just to suggest she was actually working as ordered. "And who exactly is this source you so confidently claim to trust this time? The town drunk?"

Kelly let that joke slide in the hope that Parks would actually see reason for once and help her, as he once did. "Nick Dawes."

"Nope." Parks wasn't having it. It was a whole new level of low from Kelly to actually trust Dawes. Why couldn't she just let it go and move onto other, genuinely concerning cases like the triple-murder down on Third Avenue? But no—she had to stick to the Hines case like glue, didn't she? "Relying on the word of a notorious Peeping Tom? I know you're relatively new to the detective work, but at least act like you give a shit. Don't give us a bad name on account of your obsession."

"You know as well as I that incest is a criminal offence. Not to mention blasphemous." Kelly was often one to bring religion up on most occasions, even when it was uncalled for—which was one of the many reasons why her colleagues resented her. They may feel that way about her but often confided in the redhead for anything regarding scripture when religious killings occurred. "That alone makes it worth looking into. I shouldn't even have to build a case around it."

"You damn well have to when you start spouting claims the entire family's in on it like it's some kind of orgy." Parks was getting irritated now. He knew the Hines' were upstanding members of the Bridgewood community, often donating to charities and helping young families however they could. "You even claim the grandmother's involved somehow. I doubt an eighty-year-old can stand straight, let alone partake in an incestuous orgy. Drop it, kid." For the first time in what had to be months, Parks actually hated the words that came out of his mouth, even if they were a heartfelt warning. But he also knew Kelly wouldn't back down so easily—she was persistent and iron-willed—so a more assertive touch would have to be applied. "Or I'll put you on two months' suspension."

"You know I need the money."

Parks slammed his fist down on the desk in anger, rousing the entire police force. He'd had his fill of Kelly's persistence for today. Why couldn't she just let it go? Parks knew Kelly's obsession would inevitably bite her one day. He'd seen that look before on too many faces—both experienced and fresh. Kelly was even frightened by the chief's outburst—he'd never done that with anyone, even before she immigrated from Ireland. "Well, maybe you shouldn't stick a fucking flashlight up the Hines' ass. You go looking for shit, you get shit."

It was only then Kelly backed down. There was definitely more to the Hines' than what was being let on. It did get Kelly thinking though - it stood to reason that the police could be in on all this too, right? She'd hate to be right about that, but Bridgewood wasn't exactly Heaven.

"Sorry for wasting your time, sir." Kelly saw fit to leave Parks be, for now. In spite of being told to do otherwise, like hell she was going to back down on the case. It could very well be the one that helped define her as a true detective, the one that could set her up above the others in the department.

///

Kendall stood close by, observing her copy of the day's timetable. Her first duty of the day was to oversee the delivery coming from the factory. Fresh fruit and veg, packed meats and other such things, packed high in crates, were the norm for delivery.

Almost as if on cue, sharp rhythmic knocking came from the front door. If there was one thing the Hines' liked about the deliverymen, they were always punctual and made it a point to let their arrival be known. Three unlabelled heavy goods vehicles aligned themselves evenly, engines purring in sync for a moment before their shutters rolled open to reveal the stacks of materials and building equipment used to build...whatever it was they were paid to.

Kendall opened the front door, slowly revealing her babelicious form to the man she'd grown to become quite friendly with over recent months: Darryl. Every time he spoke with her, Kendall seemed to always be bigger, her shadow forever reaching over his comparatively tiny body. A very select few people—those the Hines' truly trusted—only knew what really went on in the mansion, Darryl being one of them. He knew he had very little chance of being with Kendall, but that didn't mean he couldn't be friendly—or dream about her at night.

"Got yer stuff for the basement conversion right here, Kay. You'll need to sign for it, of course."

Kay. Kendall always giggled rather childishly every time Darryl called her that and today was no different. She teasingly twirled her blonde locks in response, giving him an eyeful in the process. That was usually enough to keep him roused for the rest of the day. She signed off the document on the clipboard the shaky Darryl offered her before speaking. "Got anything planned for the night?"

Darryl knew to keep his expectation in check. What the blonde just said wasn't in any way a hint at asking for a date—she was just being friendly and he knew that. In spite of that, Darryl couldn't do much to prevent his unfortunate stuttering. "N-n-not much. Y-y-you?"

Kendall preferred not to say, but she definitely had plans for the night. Instead of being totally transparent with the gentleman before her, she kept her cards close to her chest and played it safe. "I got a little something planned."

Darryl took the hint, nodding agreeably before looking past Kendall's shoulder at Ruth, who just so casually had Jordan's face buried in her clit. Darryl was loyal, forever keeping his lips sealed about what went on in the Hines' estate, but he couldn't deny it was still somewhat awkward to see with his own eyes. Be that as it may, he had a bit of news to share.

"I'd hate to pull her away from something she's clearly enjoying, but could I speak to your grandmother for a minute before the guys start building?"

Kendall chuckled, "Of course."

It seemed as though Ruth overheard quite a bit of the conversation, having already set foot to the door and approached Kendall's side, still naked. It was then Darryl took a brief moment to compare the two women. Darryl preferred those closer to his age, but a certain degree of respect had to be given to Ruth.

She looked at Kendall knowingly for a moment, wordlessly suggesting her to leave so a moment of privacy could be had with Darryl. Darryl didn't know where to look first: the pumpkin'd deltoids easily the size of a truck's tire or the naked clit that was so casually shown to him.

"So what's this about?" Ruth wasn't often impatient, but it wasn't every day she was pulled away from pleasure.

Darryl didn't mince his words. He was loyal to the core and aimed to prove that with the news he was about to share. He just wasn't all that sure how Ruth was going to take it. "A little bird tells me someone might be onto you, knows what you do here."

"Ah." Ruth raised a brow. That certainly was interesting news but it didn't dampen her spirits. If anything, it inflamed them. The fact somebody took time out of their day to go looking into what went on in the comfort of her humble abode was—in some little way—exciting. It couldn't be a complete stranger who went on this quest of unearthing. No, it had to be someone who did that sort of thing for a living—like a detective. "You mean that new Irish girl in the police force."

Darryl didn't know what to think or say in response. Ruth was right: it was Kelly he subtly referred to. The problem was now how the Hines' would collectively respond to this fact. But Ruth remained strangely confident in the face of it all.

"I have a new task for you, Darryl..."

///

Back home, Kelly was accompanied only by the dwindling heat from her fireplace, too caught up with her work to properly give herself a heat, especially during the ever colder cold nights. She didn't have anyone to share them with, lover or friend. She had them, once upon a time, but her obsession with the Hines' proved too much for them.

Kelly had accrued a vast amount of data pertaining to the family dating as far back as the early nineties--bank statements and such—ailed, stapled and taped to the face of her bedroom wall nearest the window. It was true that she got her hands on such information through not to legal means, but she went above and beyond the call of duty to do Bridgwood justice, her shining, perfect career be damned.

She fingered the crucifix dangling from her neck, postulating her next move. The crucifix was a birthday gift from her mother the day she turned ten. Kelly's mother was an unorthodox disciplinarian Bible-thumping Catholic, but everything she did that might—or rather did—harm Kelly, was all for her betterment. It might've made her a better Catholic in the long run, but a bitter distaste for her mother was left in Kelly's tongue. Now that her mother long since then died from Tuberculosis—

The clock struck midnight. Running out of steam, there was no way Kelly could possibly keep herself alert any longer. Besides, another debacle of a shift at the ever-so-trustworthy police department was just eight hours away—what joy would be had then!

The stealthily delivered letter pushed though the detective's letterbox changed everything though. The letter itself was fancy in pretty much every sense of the word: top-quality envelope with golden patterns around the edges, the Hines' family seal firmly pressed into the top left corner. With delicate cursive lettering, 'Detective McNamara' was finely labelled on the front.

To say curiosity and pleasure filled the girl was quite the understatement.

///

A familiar warm wetness engulfed Jordan, one he was all too eager to embrace. It was almost like clockwork how predictable it was, yet he never shied or averted from it. Batting his waking eyes, he was met by the lowered head of his twin Kendall casually sucking his dick, making sure to work his manhood in slow, measured draws. A string of fresh saliva connected to his appendage and her luscious lips made itself known as she pulled them free to smile. Her teeth were nigh perfect; unnaturally white and straight with no indication of an overbite.

"Finally you wake up. Was worried I might have to start doing something a little cheekier to rouse you." She sat up, straddling her brother as he rubbed his eyes. Waking in the early hours of the morning was never Jordan's favourite part of the day, but what more often than not came after that was something he was willing to endure his grogginess for. He eyeballed Kendall's breasts for a time long enough that most people would consider pervy but she never minded. If anything, the blonde would actually be upset if he didn't at least offer a glance. "You gotta get ready. Mum says we're getting a visitor today."

Jordan could tell Kendall was excited about that. The family rarely received visitors besides the truck delivery guys, so it was definitely worth it to not only get up but also make themselves look presentable. In spite of that, Jordan couldn't deny the flicker of uncertainty roiling in his gut.

"Who is it? Do you know?"

Kendall shrugged. "Gran says it's some chick from Ireland." Just that fact alone was enough to pique the blonde's interest at first, having had a sort of 'thing' for the Irish accent, so long as it wasn't too thick and could actually be interpreted. "No idea why she's here though. I mean, I did ask, but Gran said to leave it be. Must be something pretty big."

Jordan still wasn't sure despite his sibling's assurances. He turned to the window as if to be distant. The colder and darker mornings were starting to roll in, emphasised by the frosted glass and modestly icy pavement. He was too distracted by his inner thoughts to notice Kendall had pulled away from the bed.

Jordan was still in thought, wondering what the nature of the Irishwoman's visit entailed. Perhaps the constant wondering would start to nibble at him from the inside if he—

"Hey!" Kendall poked him in the chestvto rouse his attention. It wasn't often she had to do that generally, let alone the fourth time just there. He really was in deep thought. It didn't trouble the blonde, but it did hinder the tight schedule the family had before their visitor arrived. Perhaps a little encouragement would help. "You get ready before this chick arrives and I'll let you do it in the ass when she leaves."

Jordan's reply was more like a chuckle than the scoff was it was supposed to be. So he was being bribed, was he? It wouldn't have been the first time.

///

Hours later...

Stood directly outside the Hines' mansion door, Kelly checked the time on her watch. Midday. The letter written by Ruth said to arrive by then, but nobody had bothered to open the door to greet the detective even after knocking for the fourth time. Was this some sort of joke being played on her by the department—again? There was only so many times the youthful redhead could abide such cold-hearted 'fun' from them—and she was reaching the breaking point in that regard. "Come on, open up."

It didn't help that the weather was starting to turn sour. In the space of ten minutes alone, it had gone from a cold and clear-skied sun to a greying patch of cloud with a certainty for rain. Kelly hated the rain—she'd seen enough of it in Ireland to last her a lifetime. Her new job might've paid better but it was unfortunate that Bridgewood was climatically prone to rainfalls more than sunny spells. It depressed the life out of her at times.

She could hear muffled voices from behind the door. So somebody was definitely in the house—they just elected to ignore her for some reason. The words themselves couldn't be made out but Kelly was sure they were orders more than casual conversation, spoken in a somewhat commanding tone. It reminded Kelly of her mother—someone she needn't be reminded of. When the door finally did open—much to her relief—the detective was graced with the pleasant smile from Ruth. Kelly wasn't quick to share in the older woman's pleasantries so keenly, still irked at having been left to needlessly wait. Technically, that was wasting police time, a crime in on itself. But Kelly needn't be reminded that she was invited by Ruth, so if anyone's time was wasted, it was Kelly's own.

Nobody outside of the family—with the exception of the deliverymen and a very select few others—knew what the Hines' did as they hadn't made any public appearances in years, decades even. Most of what the community knew of the Hines' came either from rumours or carefully crafted lies to circumvent the truth. The donations Kelly heard of were made through electronic means—email and such— and interview responses were written in advance. The Hines' prepared for everything, else everything would crumble around them.

Ruth's attire was a soft knit jumper dress, belted thermal trousers for her legs and a pair of black heels for complimentary purposes. The only visible hint of beef on the elderly woman's frame was her neck but that was easily concealed by the layer of wrinkles that emphasised her age. Conversely, Kelly's attire was a burgundy shirt buttoned up to the top with the handed-down crucifix around her neck and a pair of standard black trousers pressed firmly to her comparatively slender frame. Ruth was quick to spot the Bridgewood police department badge pinned above the left lapel of her cream-coloured trench coat—not to mention the modest sidearm conveniently peeking out from her hip. Not that she'd need it.

"You must be Kelly." Ruth saw fit to end the silence, given her guest remained unequivocally silent. The older woman couldn't prevent the slight smirk from letting itself be known; the detective was so innocent-looking and most likely naive. Ruth extended her hand for a welcoming handshake but she was ignored, save for Kelly's brisk reply.

"And you're Ruth."

The grandmother didn't take Kelly's deliberate ignoring of pleasantries to heart. But the redhead's voice—Kendall would have a field day if she heard it; it was so rich and beautifully toned, in spite of her to-the-point remark. Ruth gestured for Kelly to enter the Hines' humble abode, though she was clearly reluctant to at first. Just what would she find in there? Hopefully, things that could incriminate the family and solidify the detective's case. Besides, she wouldn't find those things lingering around outside.

///

Kelly wasn't often one for drinking tea, but she was rather strategic in her decision to accept it from Ruth. It was the detective's scheme to play pleasant and guest-like to the Hines' as much as she could, then throw the accusation in their faces when they least expected it. Admittedly, it was rather hard trying to keep her mind on the professional track when all five members of the Hines' were staring at her, each of them in their own little way. Jordan was the most sceptical while Kendall's eyes practically glazed over at the fact an Irishwoman sat before her. They all sat on the one long couch opposite Kelly in a particular seating arrangement—Ruth, Scott, Carolyn, Jordan and Kendall.

"I reckon you know why I'm here." Kelly strategically sipped her tea, giving the family a moment to not only consider the gravity of the situation, but also their own individual responses, as they all no doubt had one. She crossed her legs. If needs be, she would gladly sit and wait for a response for hours.

Kendall giggled childishly. That accent was getting to her a little too greatly, practically overpowering the blouse-wearing blonde.

"Yes, word does get here rather fast despite being cut off from the rest of town." Ruth fought back the former urge to smirk at the detective. Straight to the point--that was something to admire of the girl. A little naive but admirable nonetheless. But Ruth had hoped Kelly's innocence would make itself known sooner or later—it wasn't a wise thing either. "And yes, we all do partake in incest."

It almost felt like Kelly had been hit with a brick. It was her job to make the accusations and prove them, but everything just seemed to spiral out of control. Ruth was so forthcoming with her words it made Kelly numb inside. She didn't know how to react to all this. One thing was for certain though: Ruth had beaten Kelly at her own game as if she made the rules. The other Hines' seemed to just casually sit there like revealing their deepest secret was an everyday thing.

12