Knights of the Round Ch. 01

Story Info
The Team is distracted as they investigate a new case.
10.1k words
4.8
11.5k
3

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/07/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 1 - Death And Disguise

"Cindy Ross, Captain, Badge Number 1-0-6-9." the platinum blonde Officer stated to Patrolman Culver at the edge of the crime scene. It was Sunday night, November 20th, 10:30pm.

"Thank you, Captain. How are you doing these days, ma'am?" asked Culver.

"Not too bad." she said. "Let me see what's going on in here, and we'll chit-chat later. Has Commander Troy arrived?"

"If he has, ma'am," said Culver, "he did not come through me." Cindy nodded and went on, a bit surprised.

The crime scene was near MLK Jr. Boulevard, the main east-west road of the Tenderloin District. Captain Ross saw a car on the side of the road, several bullets having struck it. A body was lying in the adjacent parking lot, a black man lying face-down, his clothing all black. The Crime Lab was setting up a portable tent, with which they'd cover the body after it was set up, giving them privacy from the prying eyes of the Public, and more importantly, the Media.

Squatting next to him was a Uniformed Police Officer in a standard dark blue uniform and highwall Police Officer's hat. His back was to Cindy and she did not recognize him. "Who is that?" she asked of Sergeant Carswell, who was assigned to 2nd Precinct and ostensibly in charge of the scene. Carswell was black, had a good reputation with the people of the area as well as within the Police Force.

"I don't know, ma'am." said Carswell. "He's not one of us at 2nd Precinct."

Cindy strode up until she was behind the man. "What are you doing, Officer?" she said, her voice commanding and not friendly.

"Examining the body, ma'am." said the Officer, his voice scratchy and whispery. He did not look up, nor over his shoulder at her.

"Why are you doing that? That's for Detectives to do, and the Crime Lab. Why don't you go man a barricade or something?" Captain Ross asked, knowing that if he were a Detective of any level below Lieutenant, he'd be in plain clothes. She could see no rank on him at all.

"Yes ma'am, in a moment." the man said.

Getting angry at the effrontery of the Officer, she said "Who is your boss?"

"Chief Moynahan, ma'am." he said flatly.

"No, dipshit, I mean who is your Sergeant?" Cindy all but yelled, worn to anger.

"All of them, ma'am." said the man. Getting more angry, Cindy's left hand tightened on her green crowbar.

"Turn around and face me---- what the hell?" she asked as she grabbed his shoulder. He had turned to face her, and she was looking into the gray eyes...

...of the Iron Crowbar.

"Don!" she gasped. "Commander, what are you doing?"

"As I said, Captain," I replied, "I'm examining this body." My rank and the 'TCPD' on my collars were subdued, making them uneasy to see, and I was not wearing my MOV, DSC and Purple Order rectangles over my right pocket. I looked just like an entry-level Patrol Officer to the uninitiated.

"Uhhh... aaahh... I mean... geez..." she stammered, trying to get her wits about her. "You know what I mean, Commander."

"Yes, I know. I have reason to not want to be noticed as myself, Captain." I said. I stood up and said "I guess I'll go man that barricade as you ordered." The Crime Lab people were coming with the tent, so Cindy and I moved out of their way.

Just then, there was a commotion. Patrolman Culver was having words with someone, a black woman in a suit. "Better go check on that, Captain." I said. Cindy hurried over to Culver.

"Ma'am," said Culver, "this woman is demanding entry, saying she's an officer with the State Department of Justice, but she won't show an I.D."

"Then you don't come in, lady." said Cindy. "And if you try, you'll be arrested, or possibly shot."

"Are you kidding?" said the woman.

"Not about you being arrested." said Cindy. "Now it's State Law that you have to follow my order to show me your I.D. Show me your I.D. Now."

The woman pulled out her State badge and I.D.

"Tasheeka Jones." Cindy said. She pulled out her Police iPhone and read the RFID chip inside the badge. "Whaddya know, she's legit." Cindy read the badge number to Culver, who wrote it down, and Cindy returned Jones's ID to her.

"Why are you here, Agent Jones?" Cindy asked as they came towards the body. "And why did you give my officer back there so much crap?"

"I'm here to observe the TCPD's procedures at crime scenes." Jones replied. "I was testing your officer and your perimeter setup."

"Who is your boss, Harold Bennett?" Cindy queried.

"Yes." said Jones. "He is concerned that all local Departments are not following proper protocols as directed by the State."

"We have a murder here, and you're worried about fucking process..." Cindy said sardonically.

"Do you have a problem with that, Captain?" the woman asked confrontationally. Cindy stopped and squared up to her.

"Yes I do." Cindy said. "We follow procedures, we have no problems in our Court cases, and that's with defense lawyers rabidly trying to find any hole against us. Your presence here is an interference and an irritation. Stay out of our fucking way."

"Who is your boss, Captain Ross?" the woman asked, and in a tone conveying a threat.

"Commander Donald Troy." Cindy said with great alacrity, and no small measure of pride. "TCPD badge number 1-6-4-0. By all means, run to him if you have a problem with me. Or run to the Chief."

"Where is Commander Troy now?" asked the woman.

"As a matter of TCPD policy, because of threats to Commander Troy's life, we do not give out his whereabouts to people we don't know." Cindy said, then added with emphasis: "I don't know you."

"You will soon." Agent Jones said. It was then she noticed the tall Uniformed Officer standing near them, standing sideways so that only his left side was visible. "Who are you, and what are you doing standing there listening to us?" Jones snarled at the offender.

"Exactly that." said the tall man. "Listening to you."

"Why you little prick!" Agent Jones said. "Captain, why is this Patrol Officer standing here minding our business? Why isn't he working?"

"For someone observing our procedures, Captain," I said to Cindy, "Agent Jones is not very observant, is she?" Cindy was now having trouble stifling a laugh.

"What is your badge number?" Jones yelled. "I am going to..." It was then she noticed the nametag on my right pocket, which unsurprisingly said 'Troy'; and my badge, which said 'Commander' and '1640'. And then she noticed the circular oak leaf cluster on my right collar.

"That's right." I said as she looked at me in shock. "I am Commander Donald Troy, Agent Jones. I don't know what kind of fucking games you are playing, but you've harassed my officer, you've harassed my Captain, and you are now in a world of shit with me. You are lucky that I don't arrest you and have you spend the night in my jails until Harold Bennett comes and gets you... or your real employers, the FBI, come get you."

"What?!" Cindy gasped. "So she gave me a false ID?" Agent Jones was dumbfounded with shock... and was not denying the accusation of her connection to the FBI.

"No." I said. "She's with the SDOJ, too. Playing fucking games with us. But just because she's not observant doesn't mean that I have to stoop to the same levels of stupidity. I am not going to allow the SDOJ nor the FBI to think that this is an Agency of the Weak Minded. Now keep well back, Agent Jones... my Captain is very fast with a crowbar, and it's hard for me to stop her in time, sometimes. Come along, Captain."

With that, we moved to the tent and went in where the body was. The Crime Lab people recognized me, and were understandably surprised at my attire.

"Never mind how I'm dressed, people." I said. "Whaddya got?"

"Black male, aged 25," said J.R. Barnes, "died of multiple gunshot wounds to the chest and back. Looks like nine millimeter holes, but we'll have to get Martha the M.E. to confirm that. Man has no I.D. on him, has a holster for a gun, a revolver like a .38 Special, but the holster is empty. I put out word to look for a gun, but so far no one has found one."

"I anticipate a visit from T-Square shortly, Captain Ross." I said. "I believe that this is Holden, one of T-Square's 'Regiment'. J.R., any drugs on him, any money, anything at all?"

"No sir." said J.R. "No wallet, no wads of money. Pockets are empty, we've already taken lint samples and brushed down his clothes for fibers. There are some abrasions on his wrists, as if he's been handcuffed in the recent past, but no handcuffs now, obviously."

"Sir," said Sergeant Carswell, who had just come in, "I've called Headquarters, and your Mouseketeers are getting all video footage possible, and asking for the warrants as we go along."

"Good." I said. "And Sergeant Carswell, you've done good work at this scene. I like the way you've handled it from start to finish. We have a State DOJ protocol examiner here, and I suspect she will be forced to admit you are doing it right."

"Thank you, Commander." said Carswell, pleased with my praise in front of others. I asked him to check in with Captain Ross, and he left the tent area.

"Protocol examiner, Commander?" J.R. asked, and I understood the underlying joke.

"Well," I said, "I didn't want to offend Miss Cho here and call that person what she deserves to be called." Everyone laughed, including Christina.

"Sir," Christina said, "I've heard plenty of bad things. I work with these guys, remember?" That got some banter going.

"Sir," asked Patrolman McGhillie, "with all due respect, why are you dressed like it's Orange Order Day?"

"So that... protocol examiners... won't be able to find me." I replied with a grin, to more chuckles.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's here." Cindy said. Sure enough, two limousines had pulled up to just outside our perimeter. A door was opened by a chauffeur and the legendary rapper T-Square got out. As he came up to Patrolman Culver, I told Cindy to escort him to the tent.

"You're letting him inside the perimeter?" Agent Jones gasped as Cindy met up with T-Square.

"Yes." I said. "And for good reason. Now why don't you shut the fuck up and let me do my job. Another word out of you, Ms. Jones, and you will go to jail. I am not kidding, I am not fucking around with you anymore. Keep your God-damned mouth shut." I walked away from her and up to Cindy and T-Square.

"Damn, I.C.," said T-Square, "what's up with the... er, uniform?"

"I do look good, don't I, T-Square?" I said. "Come on in, and you can bring the lawyer, but your Regiment has to stay here."

"They're my bodyguards, I.C., you know that." said T-Square.

"Captain Ross and I will be your bodyguards inside the perimeter, T-Square." I said. "And you know we're good. I've got a reason for asking them to stay here." T-Square relented and signaled his Regiment to stay put. I took him to the tent, and inside.

"Recognize him?" I asked.

"Awwww, shit." said T-Square, kneeling down and looking at the man's face. "Yeah, he's one of my Regiment."

"Holden?" I asked. T-Square looked up at me from behind his eyeshades, then nodded.

"Any idea why I'm investigating his murder, here?" I asked.

"No." said T-Square. "And that's for real. Holden never was a problem, did his job well and quietly as a security man."

"I'll need a statement from you." I said. "Your legal eagle is here, and can listen in. But if you want me to solve this and let you know who did it... I'll need whatever help you can give me."

After giving his statement, T-Square went back out and broke the news to his Regiment. I heard their groans of dismay, then came up to them.

"Gentlemen," I said, "I'm sorry for the loss of your colleague. I'm going to have to ask all of you to talk to my Officers about him. Anything you can give us that will help me wax the killer or killers will be greatly appreciated."

"Do what the I.C. says, guys." said T-Square. "And do it for Holden." I cannot complain about the cooperation I got from them...

Part 2 - Seeing Orange

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, November 21st, from in front of City Hall. "Channel Two News has learned that the lawsuit filed by Thomas P. Cook to have Loran T. Michaels seated immediately on the Town & County Council has been acted upon by Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom!"

"Judge Folsom wrote that the Council did a very poor job in wording their resolution for the election to fill the seat vacated by the death of Pastor Raymond Westboro last June 22d. Judge Folsom ruled that the election of Loran T. Michaels is for a two-year term beginning January 1st, that the People believed that is what they were voting for on November 8th, and the Council's resolution did state that. However, that also means that Mr. Michaels is not filling in the unexpired term of Pastor Westboro.

"Judge Folsom also ruled that Mr. Michaels may sit in on all Council meetings and deliberations, but may not vote until January. Asked for comment, Mr. Thomas P. Cook said that he would appeal the ruling to Judge Leahy of the Appellate Court. Experts say Leahy might very well overturn the ruling."

Bettina continued: "In other news, praise is pouring in from all over the region for Commander Donald Troy, who, while working with the FBI as a consultant, solved the murder of Tiffany Barclay, a student at the University. Ms. Barclay was murdered by her father, Attorney General John Barclay of the State east of us. Governor Val Jared stated that Commander Troy's brilliance is just what he needs to clean out the corruption of the SBI in our State."

"And speaking of the SBI," Bettina said, getting the attention of all of us in MCD, "Director Jack Lewis formally stepped down as the head of the SBI over the weekend. He has issued no statement on the matter nor held a public press conference since being defeated for the Governorship on November 8th. Governor Jared has also not yet commented on the SBI situation, but said he would do so soon. And now for Sports with Nick Eastwood! Nick!"

"Thank you Bettina!" said the handsome blonde Nick Eastwood. "The Bulldogs face off against their arch-rival, the State Tech Engineers, this Saturday, right here at University Memorial Stadium. The Bulldogs have only the blemish against the Wildcats on their record, and are expected to soundly defeat the hated Engineers from across the State. Adding to the drama are reports that the Conference intends to strongly sanction State Tech for repeated examples of dirty play and intentional attempts to cause injuries. Tech denies this, and states they will not accept sanctions of any kind!"

"Nick," Bettina said, "what can State Tech do? Sue the Conference?"

"That is one possibility, Bettina." said Eastwood. "However, most experts say that if Tech does that, their efforts will likely fail and also result in their expulsion from the Conference. Their only other option is to leave the Conference. We have unconfirmed reports that State Tech is in talks with the All-Regional Conference, a lower-level conference to be sure."

"Meanwhile, Bettina," continued Eastwood, "the Wildcats play their rival, the State U. Purple Hawks on Saturday, and the Bulldogs need a State U. win to advance to the Conference title game. If the Wildcats win, they are in, and will get a chance to avenge their only loss, which was to the Tigers, who clinched the other division already."

"Thank you, Nick!" said Bettina. "And in other news, the Town and indeed the entire Region has responded with excitement at the announcement by Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart, founder and leader of the self-help company 'The Vision', that the introductory "Envision Your Life" seminar event will be held here for the first time! The dates are Wednesday through Friday, December 28-30th, and the event will be held at the new Civic Center! 'The Vision' announced that all 1500 available seats have been sold, and they are taking names for a waiting list."

"Also," Bettina went on, "Sheriff Daniel Allgood has issued a statement that he will name Assistant Public Health Officer Beth Paige to the position of Public Health Officer, replacing Loran Michaels, who resigned to take over the Council seat he won on November 8th. Sheriff Allgood also named Police Captain Susan Weston to the Assistant Public Health Officer position, which is a cross-department promotion for Ms. Weston..."

"And finally," Bettina said, to the gratitude of my tired ears, "Police have no leads on the murder of a man in the Tenderloin District last night. The man has not been identified pending notification of next of kin, but sources tell Channel Two News that he may have been employed by the T-Square Music Empire..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay," I said to Cindy and Teresa as we sat in my office for the 'Angels' meeting, "the Orange Order announcement is today. I'll be putting out the email, and my assistant Helena will be collecting the ballots here, and the Precinct Captains' assistants will collect them at the Precincts."

"Who do you think is going to be elected?" asked Cindy.

"I really have no idea." I said. "The Chief won't be eligible until next year. We'll see what the rank-and-file have to say about it. Okay, what else do we have?"

"The Holden murder." said Cindy. "I've put Theo Washington on it as the primary Detective. Sergeant Carswell asked if Patrolman Jermaine Davis could work with Theo; they want to monitor Davis for the Detective track."

"Sure, why not?" I said. "But Cindy, tell Theo very privately that Davis had worked with McCombs and Hendricks in the past, and there were times I didn't know if Davis was clean or dirty. Tell Theo to be monitoring that, and to watch his backside."

"Wilco." said Cindy.

"Okay, Captain Croyle," I said, "what's going on in Operations?"

"Right now I'm concentrating on reducing three Precincts to two by January 1st." Teresa replied. "Then I'm going to work on security for The Vision's seminar. After that, we'll be beefing up the SWAT teams. The Assembly approved a bigger budget for them, and more armor for all our Officers."

"Chief Moynahan worked like a dog to squeeze that out of the Assembly, as did Sheriff's Chief of Staff Oswald... and with some of the Council fighting them every step of the way." I said. "We owe our guys a lunch. Okay, what about Vice?"

"Lt. Masters is beginning to get some leads on some organized activity." said Cindy. "We've got an undercover Sr. Patrolman, his name is J.J. Perry, a.k.a. 'Ice Cube', who has made some contacts in the Tenderloin District. This murder might cause issues, so I'll check up on that."

"Think that same organized activity might be related to this murder?" I asked.

"I don't know. I was going to ask you what you thought of that murder." said Cindy.

"What do you have on him, so far?" I asked. I had Mary and Myron's report already, but wanted to see what Cindy had obtained.

"Holden was a security man in Midtown and then the City." said Cindy. "I'm thinking you knew who he was because you knew him in Midtown as opposed to being in T-Square's Regiment." She peered at me.

"You're part right." I said. "I didn't know him personally, but I knew who he was. He ordered some of my stuff by mail and I shipped it to him. Then he moved to the City and I never heard from him again, until I made a point to learn who composed T-Square's Regiment. And then his name did not come up again until last night."