Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'd say that you almost have to meet him," opined Jared. "When the sitting Secretary of State asks a current member of the military for a meeting, it really can't be declined. The request is a formality. Just be cautious with what you say to him."

Two days later a motorcade made its way into Sparta. The Secretary of State was in town to visit with the injured Steve Hammer and to delve into the possibility of Steve being set up by unknown entities.

Steve and Gwen met the Secretary and his wife at the Lady in Red Center for the Performing Arts. Hordes of reporters were on hand to record the event and to ask the usual questions. Secretary Rosen and his wife welcomed the media coverage as they shook hands with Steve and Gwen while smiling broadly for the cameras. After an opening statement, The Secretary excused himself and his wife as they walked into the building with Steve and Gwen.

As soon as they reached a private room, Rosen spoke to Steve and Gwen. "We got off on the wrong foot back in Russia. I was out of line with my characterization of Gwen, and I apologize for it. I hope you can forgive my insensitive remarks and that we can move forward, working together to accomplish our mutual goals."

"That would depend on what you feel our mutual goals are," responded Gwen. "What do you want to come from this meeting?"

"For starters, we're both running for office and the exposure will help us both. Then there's the matter of you feeling that the state department left Steve in the lurch in Iraq," responded Rosen.

"For starters, I'm not running for any office," countered Gwen. "There happens to be a movement to get voters to write my name in on Election Day, but I've had nothing to do with it and I am not campaigning in any way.

"The state department did leave Steve hanging, almost literally," continued Gwen. "Maybe you can explain its role in the entire fiasco. Why did you ask Steve to help and then abandon him?"

"Why do you think we asked Steve to help?" asked Rosen. "The first we knew about Steve's involvement was when it was announced by the French that Steve had been traded for the kids. We were as surprised as everyone else. It was our understanding that he was recovering from his Colombian adventure here in Sparta."

"You're denying the call to Captain Neary?" asked Gwen incredulously. "You deny telling Steve to report immediately?

"I deny knowing any Captain Neary. We don't negotiate with terrorists and we told the French exactly that. Once we found out that Steve was in the hands of the terrorists, we contacted the CIA to find out what intelligence they may have picked up. They told us that they felt they could find Steve and to sit tight for a day or two while their operatives worked to find him. They insisted that we not involve the military because it would endanger their people as well as force the hands of the terrorists."

"So you're telling us that you followed the advice of the CIA, and that the state department never called Captain Neary to have Steve report? Do you have control over the CIA?" asked Gwen as Steve sat quietly listening to the exchange.

"The CIA is supposed to answer to congress and the president, the same as I do," answered Rosen. "That's the theory. The fact is that the CIA is so covert and secretive that most of the rest of us in government have very little knowledge of what they're doing. This Captain Neary is not someone I'm familiar with. Is he with the Navy? "

"I'm beginning to wonder about that," admitted Steve as he spoke for the first time. "He seemed extremely relaxed and easy going for a JAG officer on an assignment. I didn't think about it at the time. That's on me.

"Could you use your position to find out if a Captain Mark Neary was sent to Sparta to interview me? President Hanson said that I would be debriefed the day after I returned from Colombia. Then Neary showed up and told us he was there for the debriefing, which was cursory, at best. It never occurred to me to check into his credentials."

"Certainly," replied Rosen as he dug out his cell phone and hit a number. He had a short conversation with an assistant, telling him to find out who was sent to debrief Steve and to find out if there was a JAG officer named Captain Mark Neary.

"While we're waiting for information on this mystery, I'd like to speak to you both about your position regarding Vincent's campaign. It's no secret that he's going to be declaring his candidacy this fall. Can you tell me if you two will support him, or will you work for one of the other candidates? I know you're friendly with President Hanson, but he'll be leaving office. How do you feel about Vincent's candidacy? I know we had a shaky start, but he's a very good man and would make an excellent president."

Gwen and Steve exchanged glances before Steve responded. "We aren't likely to publicly support any candidate. If Gwen is elected, it will because she is her own person with no party affiliation and no debts to anyone. If she becomes the typical political animal, her base will dissolve and her constituents will be disappointed. By the same token, we will not voice any negative thoughts about Secretary Rosen's candidacy.

"I understand that a lot of people in your party are lining up behind you, offering their support for your campaign. I doubt that what Gwen and I think will make any difference to most voters," concluded Steve.

Mrs. Rosen studied Steve for a few seconds before nodding. "You're sincere about that, aren't you? I'm beginning to see just how genuine you two really are. You guys are huge! Your support could possibly make the difference in the election. All of our advisors agree on one thing. 'We need to get Steve Hammer and Gwen Anderson in our corner if we want to win.' Your heroism, charity work, business success, movies, music, and international diplomacy have all combined to make you two the most famous, most admired couple in the country. The simple truth is that if you work against Vincent, he probably won't be elected president."

"Mrs. Rosen, you're very flattering, but I'm afraid you've drastically overstated our influence," replied Gwen modestly. "We aren't politicians and I doubt that either of us will ever run for an office. The likelihood of write-ins carrying either of us to a high office is small, at best. We certainly aren't king makers, or president makers in this case."

"That genuine modesty of yours is exactly what makes you so endearing to the public, along with your beauty, brains, talent, and generosity," observed Mrs. Rosen. "Can Vincent and I take this away from this meeting? You two will not criticize Vincent, nor support a rival during the campaign?"

"We haven't promised that," responded Gwen. "We're going to get to the bottom of who knew what about Steve being sent to Iraq. If The Secretary truly had no knowledge of the situation and played no part in any cover up, we'll not criticize him in any public forum. If Mr. Rosen was involved in placing Steve's neck on the line, literally, I'll do my best to see that all Hell rains down on him. We'll expect complete cooperation from the state department in getting to the bottom of this. If your husband is totally honest about this situation, we'll be fine."

"That's fair enough. I think we can live with that," conceded Mrs. Rosen. "I would ask that if you should learn something that appears to reflect poorly on Vincent, please give us an opportunity to respond before you go public with your concerns. Will you agree to that? If Vincent is fortunate enough to be elected president, we'd very much like to have as close a relationship with you as President Hanson now enjoys."

"To get back to the matter of Captain Neary," interrupted Rosen. "I was just told that he was sent here by the Navy to debrief you. He's a distinguished looking man in his forties. He walks with a limp from an old injury. Does that sound like the same man you met with? He hasn't been heard from since the day after you came back from Colombia."

"Not even close!" gasped Gwen. "The Neary we saw was in his early thirties, athletic, charming, and an impostor!"

"I thought so. Neary was discovered yesterday wandering the streets of your state capital. He's been hospitalized. Toxicology tests reveal all kinds of drugs still in his system They think it'll be several more days before he begins to return to normal. Someone impersonated him.

"The government will be extremely interested in this situation," insisted Rosen. "We need to find the man that impersonated him. When we find him, we should have some answers to this mystery. Believe me, I had no knowledge of any of this, but I want to know all about it. You'll be contacted by investigators, probably FBI, but check their credentials! Please cooperate with them. We'll get to the bottom of this."

The two couples discussed the situation for another half hour before Rosen received a call telling him that his schedule made it necessary for him to leave. Once again, reporters called to him as he and his wife left the building. Rosen answered a few non-controversial questions and climbed into his limo with his wife.

Twenty minutes later, Gwen and Steve emerged from the building to face the same reporters. Gwen was momentarily stunned by the first question hurled at her.

"What is your response to the pictures that appeared on the internet today that show you and your 'good friend', Jared White naked together? What about the pictures of Steve Hammer naked with Naomi Wilson? Are you two swingers? Do you think voters will approve of that type of conduct?" demanded a reporter from a cable channel.

"I'd have to see those pictures before I'd hazard a comment," replied Gwen as she contemplated where and when the pictures were taken, and if they were even real.

"I have several copies with me," replied the reporter as he handed five 8 X 10 glossies to Gwen as Steve calmly looked over her shoulder.

"They were taken in that log cabin on Jordan's July 4th Ride for Pride," whispered Steve. "The owner must have had security cameras or something, although the quality is really good for a security camera. You really have a beautiful body! Can I get a copy of those pictures?"

Gwen had difficulty appreciating Steve's humor as she studied the photos. The first clearly showed Jared standing close to her and they both were naked. The second showed a three- quarter backside view of Gwen, with Jared's face and broad shoulders showing above Gwen's shoulders. The third photo had Gwen perched on Jared's lap with her beautiful breasts on display. She and Jared were sharing a grin as they looked at each other.

The fourth photo was of Steve hugging Naomi as they both stood near the hot tub. Steve's face was easily identified, but Naomi's backside was toward the camera. The last photo was a close up of Steve sitting in the hot tub with Naomi sitting on his lap. His arms were around her abdomen, but her very generous bosom appeared to rest on his wrists. Both were smiling broadly.

"Do you still think voters will write-in your name after they see these pictures," asked the persistent reporter as his colleagues waited for Gwen's response. "Don't you think the electorate deserves and expects higher moral standards from candidates? Will you bow out of the race now?"