Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Then I watched the video where Steve spoke to Gwen about their date after Sparta won its first football game of the year. What I can take credit for is realizing that it was going to be a year like no other. I had Gwen in class the previous year and knew that she was a brilliant student, if a bit reserved, and perhaps even introverted. What I saw when she and Steve were together thrilled me to the core. I just knew that the two of them were destined for great things.

"That's when I began thinking about a class project worthy of the students of the class. A few weeks before, a friend of mine with a small child had mentioned that she had to drive her daughter to the state capital for proper medical treatment because Sparta's hospital lacked the needed equipment and facilities. When I recalled that, I decided to ask the kids in the senior class if they were up for a big class project, one that would make a difference in the lives of a great many people. Being the quality students and people that they were, they agreed enthusiastically.

"It started out slowly and gained momentum. When Jordan Quick came to our school, things really began to take off. She, along with Gwen, Steve, and many others, donated their time and talent to the project. The rest is history."

Then Charlotte was asked to speak. "I'm extremely proud of the Spartan Nation. It's no accident this hospital was able to expand. It's a credit to the parents, teachers, school board members, the hospital, and citizens of this community that an atmosphere of sharing and caring was encouraged so strongly. I've got two years of med school behind me and this is where I want to practice medicine when I get my MD. This is my home town!"

When Jordan stepped to the microphone, she was very humble. "I came to Sparta a troubled girl, one that had just completed rehab for drugs and alcohol dependency. Steve, Gwen, the Andersons, and all of the students and teachers welcomed me and helped me keep that monkey off my back. I am not the same person I was then, and I'm proud of that. Helping this hospital is one of the best things I've ever done. Except for gaining the love and friendship of Charlie, Gwen and Steve, it's the high point of my life. Someday, my kids will be born and raised here in Sparta. It's my home town!

Gwen smiled as she took center stage. "I've been blessed with good fortune. I can't explain why Steve asked me to that dance, or why he fell in love with me, but that love has allowed me to work for this hospital and this community. I have everything I could dream of, and like Charlotte, I'm two years through med school. I want to practice medicine here, get married here, raise my family here, and even be buried here some day. We are the Spartan Nation, and this is my home town!"

When Steve was asked to say a few words, he had an obvious limp as he approached the microphone. Before he was able to comment, the crowd began cheering and clapping very loudly. It went on for what seemed like a very long time.

"Thank you," began Steve as the applause finally began to taper off. "I'm honored to be here today. It's a dream come true to see this new hospital standing here. Gwen and Jordan thought it was such a great idea, they asked Charlie and me if we'd go along with our company building a children's hospital in Kiev! I'm able to tell you in all honesty, that Gwen and Jordan are truly exceptional human beings. I'm humbled when I'm with them. I've been blessed with some great friends and one very amazing girlfriend. Like the rest of you, I just do what I can and hope that it's enough. I'm proud to tell you that I'm a Spartan, and this is my hometown!"

The crowd loved the kids' brief speeches and how they spoke of their pride in being Spartans. There could be no doubt that the status of the Spartan Nation had increased dramatically since Steve met Gwen that day at the mall. The community had famous citizens that they were proud of, and a new state-of-the-art children's' hospital. Lady in Red Productions had bought land and built a modern facility for recording songs and a set for television shows. It was rumored that movies may be made in Sparta!

They had not only survived two terrorist attacks, but had sent the terrorists straight to hell! It was a source of local pride that, while they did nothing to provoke the violence, the citizens of Sparta had done everything to end it.

The concert was scheduled to begin at eight while the dedication ceremonies for the new children's hospital were over at five thirty. Gwen, Jordan, Charlie, and Steve made their way to Marsh's for a quick dinner. Steve was still trying to catch up for the meals he had missed. As they walked through the dining area, the kids spoke to many of the patrons, often by their first name, shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries as they made their way to their table. Their approachable demeanor added to their reputations as great young adults that remembered their roots. The locals loved that quality. While they had dined with presidents and kings, they never forgot the folks in their home town and never acted like they were superior, or 'uppity'.

While most people left them alone when they sat down to eat, Steve, Jordan, Gwen, and friends were always polite and patient with those, usually tourists, who invaded their space while they dined. It became a sure way to tell who was a tourist, and who lived in Sparta. Locals never bothered the friends while they were eating.

Gwen smiled and pointed to a new photo on the wall. It was Steve hugging her with the helicopter and its whirling blades in the background. It was already framed and titled 'The Homecoming'. Steve was surprised at how tanned, dirty, and bloody he looked in the photo.

Gwen's phone rang. She glanced at the caller I.D. and told her friends, "It's Amber Stahl. I owe her for airing my response to Steve's situation. Excuse me while I answer this."

Gwen stood up and stepped close to a coat room as she spoke. Less than a minute later, she returned. "Amber's here in Sparta. She didn't want to interrupt our meal but wants to interview us as soon as she can. I guess just about all of the news bureaus want to, but Mom has those calls screened. Amber is the only reporter with our numbers, and I like it that way. Since Steve left his phone on a ship in the Caribbean, she called me. She's going to be here in half an hour. We'll answer her questions while we're surrounded by friends and neighbors."

The foursome had just finished dessert when Amber entered the room. She nodded to several diners and even mentioned a few by name. Steve and Charlie stood and offered her a chair.

"First, just let me tell you how delighted I am to see you, Steve. I saw the footage of you exiting the helicopter, and Gwen hugging you. It was touching, to say the least. I'm glad that you've made it back."

The cameraman aimed his device at Amber as she checked her notes before facing Steve. "Steve, I know you aren't supposed to talk about your ordeal, but what can you tell us about your adventures of the past week?"

"Honestly? Not very much. It's great to be home. I couldn't miss our traditional Memorial Day party, especially with the dedication of the new children's hospital. I'll sit down with Navy people tomorrow and be de-briefed. Then I'll have a better idea of what I can tell you."

"How did you wind up on that helicopter? How did you and those children get into the country undetected?" asked Amber as she scanned her notes.

Steve smiled at Amber as he responded. "That wasn't very tricky. Next question?"

"This one's for Gwen. More than a few people who witnessed your reaction to Steve's return tell me that you somehow knew Steve was on that helicopter without benefit of anyone actually telling you. In fact, no one knew he was on the helicopter. Yet when you were informed that a helicopter was bringing in some injured people, you actually ran the two blocks from this restaurant to the hospital after telling everyone within hearing that you were certain that Steve was on board. When and how did you realize that Steve was on that helicopter?"

"When Laura, Dr. Masters, told us that she had just been notified by the hospital that a helicopter, and not a trauma chopper, was arriving with injured people, something clicked," admitted Gwen with a blush. "I had been feeling strange all morning and I suddenly knew why. Steve was coming home! I really can't tell you more than that. I simply knew he was coming home. I don't really care how I knew, but I'm glad I did and I was there to meet him."

Amber looked from Gwen to Steve and back to Gwen with a mixture of admiration and awe before posing her next question. "Gwen, what can you tell us about the movement afoot to draft you for a run for the congressional seat in your home district? Are you considering it?"

"Excuse me?" asked an obviously baffled Gwen. "I haven't any clue what you're talking about. I'm a registered Independent, only because I had to register as something in order to vote. I have neither the time nor the inclination to run for public office. Both the Republicans and the Democrats have selected their candidates already."

"That's true, but with your congresswoman giving up her seat this fall to run for the senate, rumor has it that many voters will support you as a write-in candidate for congress," responded Amber. "Will you actively campaign? Will you serve if elected?"

"I honestly have not heard any of this before, so answering those questions seems presumptuous, at the very least. Med school is a full time job, plus we travel to events now and then at the behest of the government, plus we do TV and movies when possible, plus I have to spend some time with a certain handsome Navy SEAL, so running for, or serving in congress seems pretty far-fetched," reasoned Gwen.

"So you're not ruling it out?" pressed Amber.

"I haven't ruled out traveling to other planets this year, but that also seems unlikely at this time," quipped Gwen. "I've learned that I really don't have to answer hypothetical questions, and usually it's a good idea to not answer them."

"How do you feel about Gwen possibly being the next congresswoman from this district, Steve? Do you think she's qualified?" probed Amber.

"Now that's something I can answer," replied Steve with a lazy smile. "Gwen would be the best representative in Congress, by far! Is she qualified? Let's see. What has she accomplished at the ripe age of 24? She's sold millions of records. She's won Oscars, Grammies, and Emmy's. She's starred in blockbuster movies, graduated valedictorian of her high school class, graduated with honors from Stanford, and has completed two years of medical school. She's met, and is on a first name basis with numerous world leaders.

"She's a partner and co-founder of a billion dollar company that exists to do charitable work around the world, including, but not limited to building a children's hospital in Kiev. She's brilliant, beautiful, and extremely capable. How do those accomplishments compare to the elected officials we have now?"

"That's quite an impressive resume, when you put it that way," returned Amber. "It sounds like you'd definitely support her."

"I don't know how to make this any clearer," replied Steve as he looked into Gwen's eyes. "I love her. I'm devoted to her. I'll do anything I possibly can to help her in anything she attempts. My support for her is unconditional."

Gwen sobbed as she moved to Steve and gently hugged him as he sat in his chair. Amber was misty eyed as she ended the interview. "Thank you both for speaking with me. Good luck to you all in your concert tonight and in your future endeavors."

"I'd forgotten what great interview subjects you guys are," marveled Amber after the camera was turned off. "I love working in Washington, but I really miss the excitement that surrounds your group. I have to get that interview back to the studio in a hurry so that it'll play on the six-thirty news tonight. Thanks!"

Before Amber could leave, Sam and Roxie appeared at Steve's side, with their parents right behind them. Sam wrapped her arms around a surprised Steve and kissed his cheek. Roxie seemed nervous, but determined as she first looked at Gwen and then kissed Steve soundly on the lips.

"You saved our lives. You were shot while helping us. Sam and I will never forget you. We're going to miss you!" cried Roxie as she wrapped her arms around Steve's neck and sobbed loudly.

"Roxie, there's no need for tears. You and Sam are coming to our concert tonight, right? Would you like to be backstage watching us? We can manage that, can't we, Gwen? Roxie, I need to introduce you to my friends. They're Gwen Anderson, Jordan Quick, and Charlie Burns. Guys, this is Roxie and next to her is Sam. They helped me survive for a week in the jungle with those cartel guys after us. They loaded my magazines yesterday when things got a little tense. They're the bravest girls I've ever met."

"Hello, Roxie!" beamed Gwen as she went to the girl and hugged her. "Steve told me how brave you are, but he didn't tell me how beautiful you are. Do I need to worry about you stealing him away from me?"

"No! Steve made it clear that you were the girl he loved, but he was real nice to me. He never got upset or yelled at Sam and me. He killed the men that were trying to rape us, using his bare hands and his knife. Then he cut the head off the snake that scared us real bad. Yesterday, he fought off a whole army and killed those horrible Flores drug leaders," concluded the tanned girl.

Gwen gasped when she heard Roxie speak about her ordeal. She looked from Steve back to the two girls and tears began trickling down her cheeks. "Sweetheart, you're safe now. Steve made sure of that. You need to forget all that bad stuff and look ahead. Will you and your family watch the concert tonight from backstage? We'll have chairs and soft drinks for you. You'll be close and able to see and hear everything we do."

"We'd like that, if we won't be in the way," replied Roxie after looking to her mother for approval. "Steve sang for us sometimes when we were walking in the dark. He's really a cool guy."

"Yes, yes, he is," agreed Gwen as she regained control of her emotions. "Sometimes I forget just how cool he is, until I meet people like you that he's helped. Then I remember. It's settled. You, Sam, and your parents will be our guests tonight."

"Amber, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't report anything Roxie just mentioned," stated Steve firmly. "I think it's best that her parents and the state department approve any comments the kids make to the press, or in front of the press. You can see why, can't you?"

"Absolutely, Steve. I certainly don't want to be responsible for creating any emotional distress for these girls. They've been through a lot and seem to be doing quite well. I'd be happy to interview them with their parents, if I could."

"I'm not so sure about that," balked the girls' mother. "I told my sister-in-law about Steve staying behind to save my girls and the next thing I know, Bill Hardy has it on his news show. My sister-in-law admitted that she told one of Hardy's producers that Steve was in Colombia looking for our girls. He told the world and those Flores put a bounty on his head, as well as my daughters'. I can't begin to describe the pain it caused me.

"I owe Gwen an apology for telling stories out of school. It caused her to suffer as well. Steve, you saved my girls and I regret yelling at you to rescue them. I know now that you would've done exactly that, regardless of what I said to you," stated Mrs. Henderson apologetically.

"You need to know, Mrs. Henderson, that we never would have made it back if it hadn't been for the reward Gwen, Jordan, and Lady in Red Productions offered for our safe return in response to the bounty offered by the cartel. Your sister-in-law letting the cat out of the bag caused Gwen to come up with the reward offer. It truly saved our lives."

At that moment, Nadiya Misko hurried up to Steve's table. The diners had been watching the news interview as well as the children thanking Steve for saving them. When the beautiful blonde from the Ukraine rushed in, more than a few of the male patrons involuntarily groaned.

"Steve! I have been missing you all day! I had government business this morning and missed the hero's return. Then I had to attend a video conference during your hospital dedication. I am so sorry I did not welcome you home sooner!"

Nadiya stopped speaking when she reached Steve, who had risen at her approach, and wrapped her arms around him. Then she pulled his head down and kissed him long and hard. Gwen noticed a cloud pass over Roxie's face as she closely watched Nadiya kiss Steve.

"That's my welcome," laughed Nadiya as she finally made the effort to see who else was at the table. "You're the adorable girls Steve brought home from that awful place. I'm Nadiya Misko."

Roxie ignored Nadiya's extended hand as she snapped at Nadiya. "Gwen is Steve's girlfriend! You can't kiss him like that. He's not your boyfriend!"

Slowly, understanding washed over Nadiya as she studied the teen girl's face. "I am sorry if I upset you. Gwen is very comfortable with me giving Steve some kisses. She knows he is her man and no one else's. However, girls like you and me can still love him. Gwen understands that. We don't sleep with him, but we can flirt and enjoy being near him. Did you like being with him, or was he cruel to you?"

"Steve? He was wonderful! I did sleep with him, but not in the sex way. He's brave, strong, and super good looking. I just think you shouldn't kiss him like that. It'll make Gwen jealous," responded Roxie quickly.

"Don't you want to kiss him when you see him," questioned Nadiya. "I see in your eyes that you do. It's okay. He likes it and Gwen knows she's got the best man in the world and he loves her. Can we be friends? We're both members of the 'Girls that Love Steve but Can't Have him' club. It's very big, but there's room for you."

"I did kiss him. I guess I shouldn't be upset with you. I did the same thing, but I didn't dare kiss him like you did. I guess that's what made me mad. I'm sorry," finished Roxie as her mother placed her hands on her shoulders and squeezed.

"I'm proud of you, Sweetheart. You have no business telling Steve's friends what they can do, or can't do with him. Notice that Gwen isn't upset. They're friends, very good friends, and Ms. Misko was very happy and relieved to see Steve after all the danger he's been in. I'm proud that you realized your mistake and apologized so quickly," concluded her mother.

"Are you upset with me, Steve? I won't do that again. Am I still invited backstage?" worried Roxie. "I'm sorry, Ms. Anderson."

"After all we've been through and how well you kept it all together for me, we'll always be special friends," promised Steve. "You're like a little sister to me. You have a standing invitation to receive special consideration from me anytime you're with us."

"I'll forgive you, if you call me 'Gwen'. Being in love with Steve takes some getting used to, but you'll learn how it works. There is never any jealousy or insults. We just love the guy and he loves us back. Nadiya and Jordan understand it. I love Charlie now and Jordan is very happy that I do. It reinforces what a great guy she fell in love with. Who wants a boyfriend that other girls don't think is hot?"

The concert that night had the largest attendance ever for the Memorial Day concert. The parking lot and hillside near the center were packed with fans. When the friends walked onto the stage, the applause was deafening. A spotlight was shone on Steve as the others suddenly backed away. The applause simply increased. Steve was taken totally by surprise. He was suddenly left alone with the huge crowd watching and applauding. He bowed several times until the applause began to fade.