Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It has gone up 24% from the same period past year, Congressman Clark," answered Stephanie politely.

"Would it then be safe to say this? That being elected to Congress has been a huge windfall for Ms. Anderson and her company?" continued the congressman.

"Quite the opposite, Sir," responded Stephanie with a smile. "The previous year, our income had increased 28% over the same period of time. Serving in Congress has restricted Gwen's time and has seriously limited her ability to participate in our projects."

"You don't feel that by being elected to Congress, Ms. Anderson has increased her visibility and fame, thus increasing her income quite drastically?" insisted the stubborn congressman.

"The stats do not lie, Sir," replied Stephanie. "Gwen is actually diminishing her opportunities by serving in government. I would note, however, that the Ford dealership your family owns in New Mexico has seen an increase in sales of over fifty percent in each of the past three years, or since you were elected. In your opinion, what conclusion should we draw from those numbers?"

"I am not the one being investigated!" declared Clark heatedly. "What my family business is doing is not under scrutiny by this committee!"

"Which would beg the question; why not?" replied Stephanie calmly. "You imply that if Gwen's income increases while she's in office, she must be using the position for personal gain. Yet, your family has profited a great deal in the last three years, and it would seem that at least some of the reason for its recent financial success is because of your office. I'm simply wondering why your success is acceptable, while Gwen is being investigated. It doesn't appear to be a level playing field."

"I've given up my position in the family company while serving in Congress! Ms. Anderson has not. That's a huge difference," insisted the red faced Clark.

"In the past three years, your dealership has gained contracts to supply police cars to two cities in your district. The national park service in your district suddenly switched to Ford vehicles and purchased fourteen from your family. A national package delivery company placed an order for ten vans from your dealership within a month of you sponsoring the so-called 'Right to Ship' bill in Congress.

"I would humbly suggest that a cynical person might think there's a connection between your public service and the sudden success of your family's company in securing so many government contracts," offered Stephanie with some emotion. "I admit that there are some unethical individuals in Congress. We actually agree on that much. However, Gwen is NOT one of them. Can you say the same, Mr. Congressman?"

"Mr. Chairman, I demand this witness be cited for contempt!" blurted the red faced Clark as he swung his attention to the committee chairman.

"Mr. Clark, you're not in a position to 'demand' anything from me," stated the crusty committee chairman. "I've been an attorney for forty years and I'm still active in my law firm. We're having a very good year. Does that indicate that I'm lacking in ethics? What exactly is your point?"

"My point is that I was asking questions about Ms. Anderson's income and this young woman decided to bring my family business into her response. I am not the one being investigated here!"

"It appears to me that her answer was appropriate for the line of questioning," reasoned Chairman Fowler. "You were intent on driving home the theory that if a member of Congress increased their income after they took office, it may well be the result of unethical behavior. She merely pointed out that many of us are in that very same boat. Do you have any further questions?"

"Yes, I do. I've poured over these financials your company supplied for us. I do not see any stocks, bonds, or any holdings in other companies mentioned. Why is that?"

"That one's easy. Lady in Red Productions has not purchased any sort of interest in any other company, except for some hospitals that were struggling financially. We donated large sums to help them right their ships with the proviso that veterans are always treated, regardless of financial status or insurance, and we have a representative sit on their board" stated Stephanie proudly.

"We own no stock or interest of any kind in other businesses. That allows us to concentrate on our company and not make decisions based on the needs of other businesses. We're a family owned and operated business working to help less fortunate people."

Stephanie spent the entire afternoon responding to questions about the finances and intentions of Lady in Red Productions. None of the committee members managed to find any questionable actions that they could remotely suggest were unethical. As the afternoon was winding down, Congresswoman Carlton from New Hampshire made an observation and then asked a question.

"You've answered every question, most of the time without checking your notes. You appear to be remarkably well prepared for this investigation. Have you been practicing scripts and responses for these questions? I'm curious how you avoided gaffes of any kind."

"That's another easy question. I've had the honor of knowing Gwen my entire life. I've had the tremendous pleasure of knowing Steve Hammer for over seven years. I've learned a few things about integrity, honesty, pride and service by being with them and watching how they conduct their lives. I didn't spin anything today, and they wouldn't have wanted me to try. Their relationship with each other and with the rest of their family and friends is based on respect, honesty, and trust. Congress could not possibly have a better representative than Gwen Anderson!"

The news that evening had sound bites of Paula and Stephanie testifying before the committee. Most observers felt that nothing had been revealed that would harm Gwen's standing in Congress.

It was also announced Wednesday evening that Gwen would be addressing her supporters Friday afternoon at the National Mall, immediately after testifying before the Ethics Committee. It was seen by many political observers as an effort by Lady in Red Productions to appear confident that Gwen would not be censured, and certainly not be recommended for expulsion by the committee.

Ashley was scheduled to testify on Thursday. She knew what to expect after watching the proceedings when Paula and Stephanie testified. Thursday morning, she entered the chambers dressed in a blue power suit and accompanied by Steve in his Navy dress uniform.

The first two hours featured questions about Gwen's voting record and why she had voted the way she had. Ashley expertly responded to each question, citing Gwen's reasons for her votes. Then it became more interesting, especially for those watching on TV.

"Has Ms. Anderson ever been promised political or financial favors for voting a particular way on an issue?' asked Representative Daniels.

"Yes, quite a few times, especially during her first few weeks in office," answered Ashley honestly.

"Can you tell this committee some of the perks offered to Ms. Anderson?" questioned the congressman.

"I can tell you quite a few. Lobbyists offered her new cars, free vacations, donations to her favorite charities, and even a role in a movie to vote a certain way," revealed Ashley. "Some politicians offered to trade votes on bills before Congress."

"And did she vote for any bills favored by the lobbyists that had tried to sway her?" was the follow-up question.

"Oh, yes!" answered Ashley quickly. "Of course. She had no choice. Lobbyists on both sides of every major bill tried to buy or bribe her. Regardless of how she voted, she would always be pleasing some lobbyists, and disappointing as many more."

"Did she ever accept any of these 'gifts' from anyone? I recall that she was photographed on a beach shortly after the Keystone Pipeline vote. Everyone in Congress had been promised island vacations for voting with the big energy companies on that issue."

"Yes, that offer was on the table. Gwen hasn't had time for the beach since her New Year special. She declined that offer. She spent that period of time at Stanford studying. Their offer was for two weeks in a luxury hotel in either Hawaii or Dubai," stated Ashley matter-of-factly.

"You're telling us that her vote wasn't influenced by the gifts and promises of energy companies?" grilled Representative Daniels.

"That's exactly what I'm saying. Her vote cannot be bought. Gwen was also offered a new Lincoln SUV hybrid by certain environmentalists to vote against the same bill. Oddly enough, you voted against that bill, and your sister began driving a new Lincoln hybrid just two weeks later. Not bad for a single mom working as a waitress with three children in school."

Daniels stared at Ashley for several seconds as his face became very red. Finally, and with obvious effort to contain his anger, he told the chairman that he had no further questions.

Congresswoman Carlton was next to question Ashley. "Has Ms. Anderson determined if she will be running for re-election?"

"I can tell you that she will not run for re-election," asserted Ashley. "However, she will serve if her constituents honor her by re-electing her. She feels that it's her civic duty."

"Do you think she would stand a chance if this committee censured her?" asked the representative from New Hampshire.

"My personal feeling is that the any action, pro or con, by this committee will garner Gwen even more votes. I've been reading the emails, letters, texts, and social media posts from folks back home. They're quite upset that Congress has singled out their representative, possibly the single brightest light in this institution, to harass and criticize. She's considered above reproach in her district, and across much of this great country.

"This feeble attempt to ruin her reputation will backfire across the entire House. Those members that have publicly opposed Gwen to the point of insulting and accusing her of improprieties will find themselves in difficult campaigns next election. These hearings have dramatically exposed the vast differences between Gwen and most of the other members of Congress. Voters across the country will realize that they deserve better, and they'll demand better. Dozens of representatives previously considered untouchable will be cast out."

"Will Lady in Red Productions throw a lot of money into unseating Congress members that appear to be less than supportive of Ms. Anderson," questioned an uneasy Representative Carlton.

"Obviously, I don't make those decisions, but I doubt it very much. Our company does not donate to any political parties or candidates. We don't campaign for or against candidates. Gwen's influence will be her constant and continuous efforts to serve with honor and to always vote for what she believes is best for this great nation. Her unselfish service and dedication to those less fortunate will set a new standard in Congress. Voters will begin rejecting self-serving, unethical politicians."

"I guess we know who you'll be voting for next election," chuckled Carlton before becoming more serious. "It's well known that Ms. Anderson and Mr. Hammer are romantically involved, are business partners, and to be blunt, totally in love with each other. To your knowledge, does Mr. Hammer influence Ms. Anderson's vote?"

"Absolutely!" responded Ashley without hesitation. "They have constant discussions about the bills that are coming up for a vote. Gwen always considers Steve's thoughts. She promised the voters that she would and she's kept her word."

"So Ms. Anderson always votes the way Mr. Hammer suggests?" reasoned Congresswoman Carlton.

"Hardly!" laughed Aashley. "They've disagreed on at least three votes so far, that I'm aware of. The first time Gwen voted differently than Steve felt that she should, she was very concerned that he'd be angry with her. He assured her that he was proud of her for voting her convictions and spent the weekend wining and dining her to prove he wasn't upset.

"Since that vote, Gwen still listens to Steve's thoughts on any given issue, but she never worries about Steve being upset with her position, even if it differs from his," assured Ashley. "You'd have to watch and listen to them to understand the level of trust and respect that have for each other. They don't always agree, but they always respect each other's opinion. It's amazing to see."

"Every witness we've had this week, including you, Ms. Summers, has exhibited an extremely detailed knowledge of personal and financial matters of the members of this committee. How have you gained this information, and do you plan on holding the committee hostage to ensure Ms. Anderson avoids punitive action?"

"Absolutely not," answered Ashley calmly. "We are simply pointing out the hypocrisy of investigating Gwen when many, if not most, members of Congress are guilty of far, far worse actions. Gwen has the greatest respect for the people that elected her and her only goal in Congress is to do her very best for her country. "

The committee questioned Ashley the entire day, but reporters covering the event felt that the tone of the questions had changed noticeably by the afternoon. Members chose their words more carefully and avoided any personal attacks on Gwen. It had become evident that Lady in Red Productions had done its homework and knew a great deal about those members asking the questions. Near the end of the day, Chairman Fowler posed a question.

"Can you tell me Miss Summers, just how you expected to silence me if my line of questioning became insulting, or in some way damaging to Ms. Anderson? What would you have thrown at me?"

"We have nothing we could use against you, Sir. You've served honorably and with distinction over your long career. You're actually one of Gwen's role models. Feel free to say what you will, everyone in our company has nothing but respect for you, and your record," responded Ashley with a big smile.

"My, that was... unexpected," admitted the surprisingly emotional Congressman. "I thank you for your kind words. That anyone would consider an old man like me a role model is difficult to understand. I believe that wraps up questioning for today. Thank you, Ms. Summers."

Vincent Rosen had been campaigning in Philadelphia, when his wife excitedly grabbed his arm as soon he climbed on their tour bus. He could easily see that she had some kind of news.

"I just took a call from Gwen Anderson! She told me that if we were in Washington tomorrow, she'd thank you publicly for supporting her during her investigation."

"That would mean that I'd have to stop campaigning and get back to DC right away," worried Vincent Rosen. "I'm starting to gain some headway here and I hate to lose whatever momentum I've managed to build up."

"Vincent, listen to me. You can talk to groups of ten, twenty, or a hundred people for a hundred years and still not have the impact of appearing on stage with Gwen Anderson and Steve Hammer! You supported her when she was first attacked by those stupid politicians. She's offering to pay off her debt tomorrow. I've read on the internet that they're anticipating between fifty and a hundred thousand people in Washington! If those people see that Gwen Anderson and Steve Hammer like you, your stock will shoot way up.

"The polls show that you're tied with two other candidates, and that's only because you jumped 5% in the polls when you came out supporting Gwen, while the others didn't. I've already told your secretary to change your schedule. We're heading for D.C. as soon as possible. This is going to be big tomorrow and we want you right in the middle of it!"

Paula marveled at her daughter as she and Ted followed Gwen and Steve into the large chamber. As Gwen approached her seat, she stopped and stepped close to Steve. She smiled and placed one hand on his chest as she spoke softly into his ear. Steve looked around the room briefly and returned his attention to Gwen. He grinned slightly as he responded quietly, which caused Gwen's smile to become even brighter.

Paula had difficulty accepting the scene before her. Her daughter was testifying before a hearing to determine if she had behaved unethically while serving in Congress! Showing no apparent concern for her situation, she smiled and nodded to numerous people in the room. Each person lucky enough to receive a nod from Gwen broke into a huge grin. Steve was once again in his Navy dress uniform, while Gwen wore a red suit tailored to show off her amazing figure and her strong, shapely lower legs. The couple totally dominated the room as they moved to their seats.

Paula and Ted sat directly behind the pair while Stephanie and Ashley sat to either side of Ted and Paula. Gwen was soon sworn in and the questioning began. Chairman Fowler welcomed Gwen, thanked her for her cooperation, and then asked Representative Daniels if he had questions for Gwen.

"I see that you're once again wearing red, Ms. Anderson. It would appear that you're promoting your company even as you appear at a hearing to determine if your behavior while in Congress has been ethical," began Daniels.

Gwen never indicated that she even heard Daniel's comment. She was looking over the members of the committee as she awaited an actual question.

"Don't you think most people would see your red outfit as an obvious effort to maintain and promote your image as 'The Lady in Red'? Do you feel that it's ethical behavior?"

"Sir, to millions of people, I am 'The Lady in Red'. That's become my trademark. I've been wearing red long before I was elected to Congress, and shall continue to do so long after I leave these hallowed halls. But thank you for noticing," added Gwen with another smile.

"So you see nothing wrong with wearing red to these hearings, or whenever you're engaged in Congressional activities?" persisted Daniels.

"Truthfully, questions about the color of my wardrobe seem incredibly senseless to me. I was elected to serve my constituents, and I have done that to the very best of my ability. The gentleman to my left serves in the U.S. Navy. He has shed blood to protect Americans and to serve his country. There are thousands more that have done the same outside this building right now. Wearing whatever color I choose is a right I enjoy because of the efforts and sacrifices of so many veterans and active military. I will not apologize to anyone for exercising that freedom."

"You've scheduled a speech to these supporters that have traveled to Washington. Isn't that taking advantage of the situation? Isn't that using your fame to garner more sales of your clothing line, selling more of your music, and increasing attendance at your movies?" suggested Daniels.

"You and I see things differently. You look at everything as a means to personal gain. I look at it as thanking good people that have made a very real effort to support me in a difficult time. My movies, music, clothing line, and other endeavors are successful because we work to deliver a good product at a fair price. Is that unethical in your world? It certainly isn't in mine.

"You've made some headlines lately with a few of your speeches, Mr. Daniels. Weren't they given to promote your political future?" asked Gwen. "Yet your popularity pales in comparison with my boyfriend's. He doesn't give speeches. He doesn't campaign. When he makes a promise, it's a lead pipe cinch that he'll keep it. Just ask the parents of those two girls that were left behind in Colombia. Honesty, integrity, and strength with compassion have made him America's hero."

"I fail to see any connection between Mr. Hammer's popularity and your situation," replied Congressman Daniels. "In fact, I might question the alleged popularity of you both. Did Lady in Red Productions pay your so-called supporters to travel to Washington? Did you cover travel expenses or promise perks of some kind?"