Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steve's coach had specifically requested that Gwen attend with Steve. He had been feeling the pressure and felt that having the two best known faces in America advocating on behalf of the Navy team would help convince fans that his team belonged in the tournament.

"Midshipman Hammer, how do you feel about so many coaches, sports writers, and fans saying that you and your Navy teammates are in way over your head?" asked the first sportswriter.

"I'm fine with it," replied Steve. "That's what makes a horse race. A lot of people think they know what the outcome will be, but we still get to play the game. We'll have sixty minutes on the football field to state our case. It shouldn't take a minute longer"

"Have you heard that Coach Hardman of Michigan told the press this morning he'd rest his best players and empty the bench in the last quarter to keep his starters fresh for the championship game?" asked a TV sportscaster.

"Seriously?" asked a very surprised Gwen. "He really said that? That sounds like what my friends on the Navy team would call 'bush league'. Steve and I had not heard that comment, but I'll be very happy to respond to it.

"Navy is not only going to defeat Michigan; they're going to destroy them! Their own coach has just given the Midshipmen extra motivation to win the game. Next week, you'll be asking Steve and me if Navy was just lucky to thump Michigan, and whether they have the slightest chance against Penn State. I can hardly wait to respond to that question!"

"You're obviously cheering for your good friend, Jared White and his team, to defeat your own school. But if Navy should get past Michigan, and Stanford defeats Penn State, will you be cheering for Navy, or for your own school?" asked a woman reporter.

"That's easy," laughed Gwen. "I'm very proud of Cardinal football and I know they'll play very well against Penn State. Colt Chance is an extremely good quarterback. We've become friends this year, but he knows I'll be rooting for Jared. Next week Steve will be taking Colt to school if Stanford defeats Penn State. They're the best two quarterbacks in the country, but Steve is incredible. His preparation and dedication make him unique. His skill, strength, and nerve make him the very best there is.

"I'll always be in Steve's corner. I love him and I'll be leading the cheering for Navy, regardless of who they play next week. Stanford has a great chance of winning it all next season, but this is Navy's year. Steve will see to that."

"You're scheduled to perform a concert on New Year's Eve, the day after the game, Steve. Will you feel up to it after a tough game, especially if you lose?" asked another reporter.

"I've given my word and I fully intend to keep it, regardless of the outcome of the game. It will have no bearing on my performance. All I have to do is stay out of the way and let Gwen and Jordan carry the load. They're the ones fans want to see and hear; I'll be fine, no matter what," promised Steve.

Once the Navy players had finished their stint with the press, their coach gave them three hours off before they had to return for an afternoon practice. The guys decided to spend their free time relaxing on the beach. Gwen and her friends were already enjoying the sun when the players arrived.

Many of the players had their girl friends with them, but the unattached guys made their way over to hang with Gwen and her girlfriends. As Gwen introduced everyone, she noticed that the usually outgoing Earl Brown had been unusually quiet after meeting Heather.

A short while later, Heather found an opportunity to speak to Gwen away from the others. "That big guy, Earl, seems to be spending a lot of time staring at me. Is he okay to be around? He's a good looking guy, but why does he keep staring?"

"Maybe it's that bikini you have on, or rather the bits and pieces the bikini is barely covering," responded Gwen with a laugh. "Brownie is the center and Steve thinks he's a good guy, and that's all it takes for me to like him. Are you interested?"

"Do you think he's interested in me? If he's a decent guy, I think I might like to get to know him better. These Navy men are so confident and self-assured. I like that in a man."

Less than half an hour later Gwen asked Earl to help her out. She had already shared her plan with Steve. He was chuckling discreetly as he watched Gwen put her plan in motion. "Earl, it looks to me like Heather is beginning to burn. Would you be a gentleman and rub some of this lotion on her back and legs?"

Heather had been lying face down on a large towel when Gwen made her request. She quickly looked at Gwen and then glanced at Brownie as he rose from his beach chair and shyly approached. Gwen offered a tube of lotion to him as he cautiously looked from her to Heather and back again.

"Ma'am, is it okay if I rub some lotion on you?" asked the big center. "You're beginning to burn and Gwen thinks you should have some protection."

"Do I need protection from the sun, or from you?" asked Heather provocatively while gazing up at the nervous man.

"You'll never need protection from me," replied Brownie earnestly. "I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"That's nice to hear," responded the diminutive woman as she silently admired his gentle demeanor. "In that case, my gallant knight, please rub some lotion on my back and wherever else it looks like I'm beginning to burn."

Gwen and Steve watched as Brownie carefully rubbed the lotion onto Heather's back, gently caressing her as if she were a china doll. When he finished her back, he rubbed some lotion between his hands and then began coating Heather's lower legs with the white lotion. It seemed to take forever, but eventually he worked his way up her legs until he was rubbing her upper legs near her pert butt.

Heather finally stopped him as he worked his way toward the Promised Land. "I think that may be enough for now, but thanks so much. Would you like me to get your back?"

Brownie had obviously been surprised at Heather's offer and stumbled embarrassingly through his response. "Well, if you don't mind, I mean you don't have to, but... I mean I'd like it if you would."

Heather was grinning as she gestured Brownie to lie down on her beach towel. Soon she was gently rubbing the big fellow's back as she chatted about football and how she hoped Navy would win. Gwen marveled at how small she seemed next to Brownie. By the time the players had to return for the late practice, Heather had agreed to attend the Lady in Red concert on New Year's Eve with him.

The day before the game, Navy's outstanding running back had come down with such a severe case of food poisoning that he required hospitalization. The sports media became even more certain that Navy would have no chance against Michigan. Their second running back lacked the speed and power of their starter.

Gwen and Jordan had sung the National Anthem before the game began and then hurried to join Charlie, Lisa and Jason, Paula and Ted and Kate and her friends in the Lady in Red skybox. Gwen's bold prediction became prophetic as the underdog Navy team completely dismantled Michigan.

Michigan received the kick-off and ran the ball back to the thirty. On their first play their quarterback completed a short pass that was stretched into a first down by the receiver. Unfortunately for Michigan, a Navy safety hit him hard as he struggled for another yard. The ball was jarred loose and Navy recovered at the forty two yard line.

Without their star running back, Navy lined up with five receivers and an empty backfield. On their first play, Steve saw the confusion on Michigan's side of the line and called an audible. He moved back to the shotgun position and took the snap. He looked left to draw the defenders in that direction before turning to his right and lofting a high spiral toward the right side of the end zone. He put enough air under the ball to allow his speedy receiver the opportunity to get under the pass. He left his feet and stretched out, barely managing to reach the ball and pull it down. He landed in the end zone with the ball cradled in his arms.

The Navy side of the stadium erupted into a deafening roar that continued until the kicker set up for the extra point. Navy was up by seven with just over a minute played!

Michigan received the kick off next and after a decent return, began driving the ball downfield. Navy finally managed to stop them on Navy's forty-five yard line, forcing Michigan to punt the ball. The Navy punt returner decided to let the ball bounce into the end zone for a touchback, but the ball took a sideways bounce at the one yard line and was downed by a Michigan player just short of the goal line.

Once again, Navy sent out five receivers, leaving an empty backfield and surprising everyone in the stadium. Teams traditionally took the more cautious option of running the ball when it was so close to their own goal line. Steve barked the signals from the shotgun as Michigan prepared a blitz. Steve caught the snap and pre-empted the blitz by immediately gunning the ball to the wide-out on the left sideline. Navy had gained three precious yards!

Navy quickly lined up, no huddle, with Steve under center. This time, Michigan blitzed a linebacker and the safety. Steve fired the ball to the tight end as soon as he received the snap. The big end managed four yards before being gang tackled. Once again, Navy lined up without a huddle. Steve was under center this time. He received the hike and fired to the split end as he crossed the twelve yard line and was immediately tackled. It was enough for a first down, and now with more room to operate, Steve began to take more time setting up his passes. Navy marched down the field and scored on a seven yard pass to the tight end to take a fourteen point lead without benefit of a single running play.

On their next possession, Michigan moved the ball down to the Navy fifteen before their drive stalled and they were forced to take a field goal. Navy began its next drive on its own twenty. Having experienced Navy's deliberate passing game on its previous possession, Michigan moved their defensive backs a few steps closer to the line in an attempt to prevent the short passes that Steve had spread over the field. Seeing this as he called the signals, Steve gave the sign for his wide receiver to go deep. Steve hit him in stride on the thirty five and he gained another fifteen before being tackled. Once again Navy lined up with no huddle and surprised Michigan with a quick count as the defense scrambled to get into position. Steve hit his fastest receiver on a deep crossing pattern and it was off to the races. The receiver outran the defense and scored Navy's third touchdown, to go up by eighteen.

Michigan did manage to sack Steve three times over the course of the game, but that hardly made up for the six touchdown passes he threw and the touchdown that he ran in from the ten yard line. Navy swaggered away with a 49-24 victory. Steve had racked up forty six rushing yards to complement his five hundred and sixty three yards through the air, hitting 41 of 50 passes. The only other rushing yards came on two end-arounds and one reverse. Navy had stayed with the unorthodox five receiver set the entire game.

Ratings for the game had been astronomical. Fans loved watching Navy's movie star quarterback standing tall against a fierce pass rush while hitting open receivers time and time again. The directors managed to show Jordan, Gwen, Lisa and Kate quite often as they cheered and clapped for Steve and the entire Navy team.

The only damper on the day was learning that Jared's Penn State team had lost in the Rose Bowl to Stanford 39-20. However, it set up the championship showdown between college football's two marquee quarterbacks.

Gwen's brief reflection on the Orange Bowl was interrupted by Rear Admiral Foster's words. "I should have realized that you and your husband were Commander Brown's friends. I attended the championship game in Arizona that year. That was some morale boost for the Navy! I've never seen a more exciting game."

"Then you remember how Navy won the game on the very last play," recalled Gwen. "I probably bit every nail down to the quick watching that game. It's still regarded as one of the best, if not the very best, college football games ever played.

"Steve and Colt kept throwing touchdowns. Newspapers called it the Top Gun against the Gun Slinger. Navy lucked out in that Steve was also the holder for the extra points. When Brownie screwed up the long snap on the extra point attempt to tie the game on the last play, I thought for sure that Navy had lost the game."

"That was simply part of the strategy," insisted Brownie before adding, "Madam President."

"You knew that the snap would be short and the ball would bounce in front of Steve and he'd be able to pick it up and run it in for two points?" asked Gwen with a raised eyebrow showing her doubt.

"I knew he'd pick it up and probably have to run it in," insisted Brownie. "I just never thought their middle linebacker would have been able to stop Steve like he was a little girl. When I saw that poor little Steve lacked the determination and muscle to break free, I took it upon myself to help him into the end zone."

"You almost cracked my ribs when you hit me," complained Steve, but with a grin. "One second I'm wrapped up by the linebacker and the next thing I know, I'm lying on top of him in the end zone with a two hundred and fifty pound idiot screaming in my ear."

"And the National Championship on your résumé!" added Brownie with pride. "I still get asked about that game all the time. Winning the title by one point in a shoot-out, on a broken play, with no time left, is something fans don't forget. Of course, they also talk about how Steve and Colt kept throwing touchdowns. Colt threw five, while Steve only had four, but we won in spite of his poor effort."

"Poor effort?" questioned Gwen. "Steve completed twenty seven passes for over four hundred yards. The difference was that Navy's running back was rested and back in action. He had a huge game. He scored twice and ran for almost two hundred yards. Neither team could stop the other."

"Who knew that Steve and Colt would wind up in the same division in the NFL and play against each other twice every season and a few times in the play-offs? His record against Colt was eleven and six over his NFL career, not that I follow him very much," grinned Brownie.

"You followed me a little too close in the last game we played together," laughed Steve. "But then, if you hadn't, I never would have scored that two point conversion and we wouldn't have won the championship."

"It's getting late and we have to prepare for the concert," observed Gwen. "It was great seeing you Brownie, but we have to move on. You guys could talk football all afternoon."

The Navy spent the day flying in nonessential personnel from other ships and military bases for the concert. By the time Lady in Red took the stage, the deck was packed with boisterous men and women eager to watch their Commander-in-Chief and her friends 'get down'. It had been less than two weeks since they had received orders to stand down because the threat of war had been greatly reduced by the daring diplomacy of the Hammer administration. They were intent on showing their appreciation.

To start the show, Gwen strode to the front of the stage and because of the extremely enthusiastic reception, spent a full minute waving to the cheering crowd. Her smile lit up the jumbotrons that had been erected earlier in the day. Gradually the cheering subsided and Gwen was able to speak.

"Thank you so much! I am truly honored to be here today. Not too long ago, war seemed imminent. It looked like your country was going to ask you to risk everything to protect your nation, your families, your friends, and your way of life. Not one word of complaint or protest from our military ever reached my ears! You stood prepared to go to war. You've earned the respect and admiration of your president, and your country. My friends and I are here today to thank you for your dedicated service. Thank you all!"

Once the renewed applause and cheering began to lessen, Jordan joined Gwen at the front of the stage to sing the National Anthem. Everyone snapped salutes and stood proudly at attention as the two beautiful women sang the anthem. Then the show began in earnest, and the men and women of the military cheered and clapped enthusiastically throughout the entire performance.

To start the third set, Gwen reappeared onstage wearing a short, old style flapper dress. "I'd like to ask Commander Brown to come up on stage. I happen to know he's a great dancer and I'd love to take this opportunity to dance with him."

Gwen remembered Heather and Brownie's wedding and how she had been amazed at how light on his feet the big man was. She knew that was in part, because Steve had talked him into going to dance class with him at the Academy, but she had still been very impressed.

Gwen once again marveled at Brownie's easy going confidence as he climbed up the steps to the stage while waving to the cheering masses. The only time he had ever appeared shy in his entire life was when he had first met Heather.

Jodie Lane was already holding her trumpet as she nodded to Gwen that she was ready to go. With Jordan and Kathy Perrine on vocals and Jodie playing her very best, the music was perfect as Brownie led Gwen through 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy'. The men and women on the ship roared their approval as their President jitterbugged enthusiastically with one of their own. Once the song was over, and as Gwen worked to regain her breath, the applause and whistles continued for a full minute. The din was just beginning to let up when Gwen pulled Brownie's face down and kissed his cheek quickly. That action caused even more noise to erupt from the delighted audience.

Gwen and Steve then went down into the audience to dance with various crew members as Jordan and their guest musicians played their set. Gwen had no concerns about her safety in this particular crowd. She was their Commander-in-Chief, and was shown the utmost respect from the men and women that surrounded her and took pictures and videos as she danced with enlisted men. Steve was never far away as he made the evening memorable for delighted female sailors with whom he danced.

President Hammer's genuine smile and her graciousness to everyone touched the hearts of the men and women watching first as she danced with their own Commander Brown, and then again when she began mingling and dancing with enlisted men. The President was considered by many to be the most beautiful woman in the world. She was certainly one of the wealthiest and most powerful, and yet was one of the most approachable, likable people they had ever seen. When the set concluded and Steve escorted Gwen back to the stage, a huge roar went up, expressing the deep appreciation of the men and women. Gwen smiled and waved to the crowd and bowed numerous times.

The President and her entourage spent the night on the USS Ronald Reagan before returning to their hotel the next morning. Everyone from Rear Admiral Foster on down was extremely proud to have had President Hammer, her family, and her friends spend so much time on their vessel interacting warmly with everyone. The entire concert had been broadcast to American military bases around the world, inspiring almost every member of the United States Armed Forces worldwide. They were prepared to follow wherever she led them!

"That was some show last night!" exclaimed Kate as they flew toward the Korean Peninsula. "Those sailors fell in love with you when you danced with Brownie and then moved down to the deck to dance with the enlisted men. They'd march into Hell for you now!"