Lady in Red Pt. 03 Ch. 07

Story Info
Ending the world tour, miracle on the beach?
18.4k words
4.79
46k
58

Part 63 of the 65 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 03/11/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Air Force One touched down in Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport, it was immediately apparent the people of Paris were going all out to welcome President Hammer, along with her husband and her band. A large billboard faced the tarmac as Gwen and Steve descended the stairs to greet French President Reynaud. Saint pointed it out to his parents.

The billboard had a photo of Gwen, Jordan, Charlie and Steve smiling brightly. 'Paris Welcomes our Very Good American Friends' was written across the bottom in French. Gwen beamed at Saint as he read the French banner and translated it to English for her. Then she turned her smile to Steve, who simply shrugged before grinning back at his wife.

The motorcade to the hotel was more like a parade as thousands of cheering Parisians gathered on the sidewalks along the route. Many businesses had closed at noon so employees could have the opportunity to welcome these popular Americans to their city.

Much was made of the fact that Gwen and Steve had requested the same hotel room they had shared the first night they made love, with the Eiffel Tower shining so brightly outside their window. The hotel actually advertised it as exactly that and consequently, it was always booked well into the future. Travelers from around the world wanted to stay in the very room where Gwen Anderson and Steve Hammer had first made love.

Once they were settled into their rooms, Jordan, Charlie, Gwen, and Steve decided to visit the orphanage Lady in Red had purchased to replace the one destroyed by terrorists years prior. Lady in Red covered all operating expenses, as well as paying for the expansion and renovations of the old building.

The four friends were extremely pleased to see how clean and modern the building was now. The children of the orphanage were gathered in a large auditorium and greeted the generous Americans with barely contained exuberance.

Jordan and Gwen had huge smiles as they walked up and down the aisles, shaking hands, giving hugs, and chatting with the ecstatic children. Steve noticed a young female staff member positively beaming as she watched the scene playing out before her. Her eyes sparkled even more when she realized he was approaching her.

"We've met before, haven't we?" asked Steve in fluent French.

"I can't believe you remember me!" exclaimed the woman in perfect English as she threw herself into Steve's arms. "I was one of the survivors of that horrible attack. I remember how scared we all were when it happened. Then we had no place to go and everything looked extremely bleak.

"But some very wealthy, very kind Americans came to visit our bombed-out orphanage and soon we had a safe home with many extras we never had before the attack. I sat on your lap that day and cried while you patted my back and promised me everything would get better, and it did. You saved us all," declared the young woman as tears trickled down her cheeks.

"That alone makes everything we did for the children of the orphanage worth every penny we spent, and then some. I'd love to have you tell your story to Jordan, Charlie and Gwen, if you don't mind. I know they'd love to hear it," responded Steve somewhat emotionally.

Steve led the young woman over to where Gwen and Jordan were chatting to some teens. When Gwen saw the young woman's face, she began to nod her head in recognition.

"We met you at the orphanage right after the attack, didn't we?" asked Gwen gently. "You've certainly grown into a beautiful young woman! How have you been?"

"I can't believe you both remember me, a sad little orphan who cried most of the time you were with me," replied the surprised woman as Gwen embraced her. "We were so lucky Lady in Red responded to our plight and took immediate steps to improve our lives. Now you are President of the United States, the Queen of Peace, and still the Lady in Red!"

"Jordan, this is the girl we tried so hard to console right after the terrorist attack on the orphanage years ago. Do you remember her?" asked Gwen to her friend.

"I sure do!" replied Jordan as she hugged the blushing woman. "You sat on Steve's lap and wouldn't let go of him while you bawled your little eyes out. You're so beautiful now!"

With some questioning, Gwen and Jordan learned the woman's name was Adelle and she had recently married a young French gendarme. She was now employed by the orphanage, teaching English to the children.

On the ride back to their hotel, Jordan and Gwen put their heads together briefly before Jordan turned to speak to Charlie and Steve. "It's so wonderful that Adelle is devoting herself to caring for children who were orphaned just like she was! Could one of you see that she receives a very nice gift from us as a belated wedding gift? We're thinking along the lines of a nice home not too far from the orphanage."

Charlie chuckled briefly before responding. "I'll take care of it. I know how busy Steve is these days. I'll get a short list of homes I think might work and then take Jordan and Adelle with me to pick one out, if that's okay with everyone."

"Thanks for taking care of that," offered Steve as he patted Charlie's back. "Whatever you and Jordan decide will be fine with Gwen and me. Adelle's been through some tough times and it would be great to make her world a little better. Make a note for someone to follow up with her near the end of the year; this gift may create a tax burden we'll also need to help her with."

"I think we should come back with our kids to visit the orphanage tomorrow," declared Jordan. "They have no idea how good they have it. Before long they'll be old enough to help people, and give away our money. I want them to know what good causes look like, and to learn to separate the scams from the real deals."

The next day saw Gwen and her friends, along with their children, visiting the orphanage for several hours. Jordan and Gwen beamed with pride as Ruth and Saint interacted with the children. Saint and Ruth both spoke French quite fluently and their language skills allowed them to play and chat with the orphans without adult supervision.

"I'm so glad we had Ruth learn French," observed Jordan as she proudly watched her oldest child chatting with the other children. "I always admired how Steve could speak so many languages and I wanted my kids to have that same advantage. Look how well Saint and Ruth are getting along with the other kids."

That evening was filled with the glitter and glamour only a state dinner in Paris could offer. Even with fashion models, actresses, and the elite of France's political scene all dressed to the nines, Gwen and Steve easily stood out. Gwen was radiant in a low cut red gown that clung to her curves. Steve's matching tuxedo was tailored perfectly to fit his sculpted physique. In a room full of beautiful women, Gwen's natural charm and beauty left no doubt she was not only the most powerful woman in the world, but also the most beautiful.

Gwen and Steve were both very attentive to James and Stephanie, as well as Michelle D'Anjou. The British media covered events in Paris very closely, so Steve and Gwen wanted to make certain the people of Britain realized what a strong relationship they had with this rising star in British politics.

Michelle D'Anjou was very well known in all of France, but especially so in Paris. The rumor she would run for mayor of Paris was fueled in part by Gwen's obviously close friendship with the lovely daughter of the former French President, Claude D'Anjou. The two spent enough time together at the dinner to leave little doubt that the two women were close.

Steve managed dances with both Michelle and Stephanie. Once again, the public saw an easy and close relationship between the women and President Hammer's husband. They smiled and laughed often and appeared extremely comfortable with Steve. Before the evening was too far along, it was evident to everyone attending that President Hammer and her husband would support Michelle D'Anjou, as well as James and Stephanie Hawthorne, in their future endeavors.

Things were going very well for Gwen and Steve when Ashley pulled them aside to explain that Naomi and Kate had failed to receive the approval of the committees reviewing their qualifications. While not surprised, the couple couldn't help but feel disappointed.

Steve led Gwen onto the dance floor so he could speak to her somewhat privately. "The full Senate still has to vote. My sources tell me that pressure from voters is really building in the Senate. If the vote were taken right now, Kate and Naomi wouldn't quite make it. By next week, when the vote is actually held, things may be a little different."

"I'm tired of it all, Steve. People tried to kill you, me and the kids because I'm President of the United States! We've worked really hard on this tour. You and Naomi saved the world from war just a few weeks ago. I've done my best, but it doesn't seem to be good enough, and we're risking our family's lives trying."

"I think a news conference tomorrow might help mobilize your base. If more Americans hear you express your disdain for the Congressional politics and their back-biting as usual, and their potential influence on their representatives, they may exert more pressure on their Senators," explained Steve.

"I planned a morning with Mom and the kids," replied Gwen. "I won't give up the precious few moments I have with family because of the actions of the Senate. Jordan, Ashley and Stephanie will bring their kids and we're going to have a little party for Ingrid's birthday. I promised Ashley the kids and I would be glad to celebrate Ingrid's birthday with a party tomorrow morning. I won't break that promise. Saint and Vickie are looking forward to it and I'm not going to disappoint them.

"Why don't you meet with the press tomorrow instead? You know what's going on as well, or better than I do. The press likes you, especially the ladies. You can tell them I've got more important things to do," added an obviously tired Gwen.

For the first time, Steve realized just how hard Gwen had been trying to be a good wife, mother, performer, and world leader. It had been weeks since she'd had a full day off. The constant pressure of performing well, interacting with world leaders, responding to the demands of the press, while trying to be a good mother and wife was beginning to wear his pregnant wife down and he hadn't even seen the signs!

"Darling, I haven't been a very good husband to you lately," worried Steve. "I should have realized how tired you were becoming. You've been amazing for so long I've forgotten you're human. I'll take care of things tomorrow. You relax and have a good time with the kids. You certainly deserve it."

"Don't ever think you've been anything but the best husband ever," rebuked Gwen gently. "You've been my rock ever since the first day we met. It's not your fault I'm tired of politics and all the back-stabbing and posturing people do. I'd be lost without you. I certainly wouldn't be President of the United States if not for you."

The dance ended as Gwen spoke, so she simply pulled Steve's face a little closer and gave him a gentle kiss.

"She certainly loves him, doesn't she?" observed Stephanie to Paula, Ted, and James. "It's one of the many things that stands out about them. She's given Steve everything she can and he's returned it tenfold. They're so very secure in their relationship. I've never seen a couple with the depth of trust they have for each other."

"It appears the entire hall has noticed the same thing," replied Paula proudly. "Everyone's watching them and smiling. It's obvious they're special, not that I'm biased or anything."

Steve made a point of telling members of the press he'd be available for questions the next morning at ten AM. When asked if Gwen would also be there, he simply shook his head and explained she had a prior engagement.

Steve started the question and answer period the next morning with a statement. "As you all know, Kate and Naomi failed to receive support from the Senate committees interviewing them. I'm sure you're wondering what Gwen will do to push approval of their nominations through the full Senate. The simple answer is that she won't be doing anything.

"The President has been working very hard on this tour. She actively helped out in a natural disaster by utilizing her skills as a surgeon. She's performed long, exhausting concerts in numerous world capitals and in Sydney, Australia. Congress has been obstructing her almost from the moment she was sworn in and she's growing weary of it all," concluded Steve.

"What exactly are you saying?" asked Amber Stahl with alarm. "Is our Queen considering resigning the Presidency?"

"No, Gwen will serve as long as she remains President and she has no intentions of resigning. However, she feels Congress was elected to represent the people of our great nation. It follows that Congress reflects the will of the voters. If the Senate decides Kate and Naomi should not be approved to the cabinet positions, it would indicate the citizens of the United States do not want Kate and Naomi in the cabinet. Gwen will expend no effort to impose her will on the Senate and by extension, the American people.

"If the Senate is successful in blocking Gwen's two most high-profile nominations to her cabinet, it's quite likely Congress will see it as weakness on our part. It will probably then make a concerted attempt to remove her from office, based on the conflict of interest argument, which has been a favorite topic for many members of Congress ever since Gwen assumed the Presidency."

"You think Congress will move to impeach our Queen?" asked an obviously upset Heather. "Even after all the successes she's managed on her world tour? Even after her administration averted what appeared to be inevitable war?"

"At this point it seems quite likely to me," replied Steve. "Gwen represents ideals and ethics seldom seen in Washington. Politics hold no interest for her. She serves at the will of the people and if they, through their elected representatives, decide to remove her from office, she'll accept that determination without protest.

"Gwen and I have been guilty of thinking the will of Congress is separate from that of the American people. We've all seen how voters will routinely voice dissatisfaction with Congress, but then elect the usual suspects again and again. They may claim they don't approve of many of the actions of Congress, but their voting habits indicate that they do."

"Is President Hammer giving up on her cabinet selections? Will she appoint someone else if her choices are not approved?" asked a cable news reporter.

"Kate and Naomi will be flying in to join us tomorrow afternoon in London. They will serve Gwen's administration as they have been doing, with or without official credentials. Gwen will not submit any further nominations for Secretary of State or Attorney General. Vince Rosen appears to be headed for approval as the next Vice President of the United States. President Hammer has complete confidence in his integrity and abilities," replied Steve.

"I simply find it incredible that the Warrior would allow his Queen to be treated this way," stated an obviously disappointed Heather Jensen.

"While Gwen is President of the United States, I will do nothing to cast any shadows on her record. I would never want it to appear she or her family are using her office to gain revenge, or pursue a personal agenda," responded Steve. "That said, if Gwen is removed from office, I'll move heaven and hell to end the careers and ruin the reputations of those I consider responsible. I just don't feel that this would be something appropriate for the sitting president's spouse to pursue while she still holds office."

"I'm so sorry for what I just said!" blurted Heather when she heard Steve's response. "I really should have known better. You'll always protect the honor of our Queen!"

"You're telling us that you're going to take on members of Congress if they vote to impeach and then convict your wife, thus removing her from office?" questioned another reporter.

"Yes," responded Steve simply.

"Do you actually think Congress will try to remove President Hammer from office when she's so popular in America and around the world?" asked a skeptical reporter from a New York paper.

"Her popularity doesn't seem to extend to Washington," observed Steve drily. "Don't forget the American voters determine who sits in Congress, so there's an anomaly somewhere in your statement. I'm confident that if Naomi and Kate are not approved by the full Senate, the sharks will smell blood and make a concerted effort to remove Gwen from office."

"Yet you won't try to fight Congress to keep President Hammer in office?" questioned another reporter.

"Let me be very clear," replied Steve as he slowly looked at each reporter. "Gwen has given just about everything she has to give since becoming president. She's prevented a war and improved relations with nations around the world. She used her medical training to save lives in Hungary. She's entertained tens of millions of people with her music in just the past few weeks. She was almost assassinated by terrorists. Our children's lives were in grave danger. If her accomplishments, her sacrifices, and her character aren't enough to merit the support of the citizens of the United States and by extension, their elected representatives, then she neither wants, nor deserves the honor of being President of the United States."

"What would she do if she were impeached?" asked another cable reporter. "Would she retire?"

Hardly," chuckled Steve. "She'd return to doing more of the things that she loves, like spending more time with our kids and family, working as a pediatric surgeon, recording music, making movies, and ensuring that Lady in Red Productions continues to grow."

"Steve, will you play pro football again now that you own the team, especially if President Hammer is removed from office?" asked a reporter from Washington.

"I haven't even given it a thought," responded Steve honestly. "I retired last spring and haven't regretted it. Jim Vance is ready to step in and start at quarterback. It really hasn't been anything I've considered."

"Last year, players on a few teams began kneeling for the national anthem and more are expected to do so this year. How do you feel about that, both as a player, and as an owner?" was the reporter's follow-up question.

"I really don't care to comment on the motivation of others, but players on the DC Spartans will not be kneeling during the national anthem," stated Steve matter-of-factly.

"You'd deny the players their Constitutional right to free speech and freedom of expression?" demanded a network reporter. "How can a team owned by the President of the United States deny players their basic Constitutional rights?"

"You will not lecture me on Constitutional rights!" snapped Steve. "Remember that I took an oath to defend the Constitution, as did Gwen. We understand the Constitution as well as anyone in this room and have fought a hell of a lot harder to protect it!

"If you think Lady in Red is going to have players represent us that don't have the basic decency to honor the flag and those that fought for it, guess again. Of the six owners of Lady in Red, two are veterans and four are married to veterans, three have taken an oath to protect and defend the Constitution, and one is the sitting President of the United States. Jared White, who is in charge of our football operations, was an officer in the Army. His wife graduated from the Naval Academy and served as an officer in the Navy.

"I assure you that no player on the DC Spartans will sit or kneel for the national anthem more than once," promised Steve.