Laura Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laura had been given the time off for that week by her manager before being re assigned a new client to look after so she could be with Mrs Jackson. During small breaks whilst the nurses changed the drip, or administered to the woman in the bed, Laura made a couple of phone calls and confirmed that the amount she had won could be picked up from the main post office, and she should take identification and proof of address with her to receive the cheque.

Asking Laura when she would cash in the ticket as she sat by her bed, the ailing woman said in a quiet hushed voice "There are things in life you will need to do for your own safety, trust your instincts."

"But what if they realise I'm not your granddaughter?"

"You look enough like her, just different hair colour and style, but they've never met her." a glint in her fading eye she continued, "The electricity bill and an original birth certificate will prove the name, why shouldn't you be her."

Her new bank account details, debit card and all the relevant documents were there at Mrs Jackson's, safe away from prying eyes, and now she realised she would have to leave Robert, dye her hair to change her appearance, and the following day pick up the cheque and leave. The timing would be crucial.

Salting some money away to support her for the time before the lottery cheque cleared became a dangerous game. Because of Robert's controlling ways she never had much money of her own, but she had found a way. Each morning she had been taking a small amount of money from his wallet, or pockets. A fiver here or there, taken as he got ready in the bathroom each morning, and he never noticed it like that, and along with small amounts from her own money, she would save a small amount by the time it was to escape.

After settling in she could phone Chris and explain, and they could meet up. She had his card in her purse and she would call him when she felt the time is right. He would be her only regret. Leaving him and the possible loss of his growing friendship, the warmth she felt when she was with him.

But the need to escape, to stop the fear and pain, to get away outweighed everything else. It had become her obsession. Freedom to start again, to get away from a husband who for the past five years had taken away her dignity, her confidence, her life.

Moving on had always been the pattern of her life, leaving behind people that she had come to know. Until she had met Robert that is, but now again moving on would mean gaining back her life.

*

As she lay in the hospital bed, the young girl holding her hand and quietly whispering to her, giving comfort, the old woman thought of her real grandchild, and wished she could see her one more time.

Becky had always been a wilful child, she and Harry had taken her in late in life. They had showered her with love and affection, but she was never satisfied, wanting more and more material things. Until she had found someone who would spoil her, and without even a backwards glance she had left, never bothering to contact her, never letting her know how she was.

Looking up at the lovely young woman that had been a part of her life these past six or so months, she smiled. She had found an angel at the end, someone she had come to love like the granddaughter she had lost. Life on the whole had been so good, Harry had been a wonderful man, who loved her, spoilt her and she was glad she would be joining him soon, wherever he was. But the woman in front of her had no pleasure in life. She could see the bandage on her hand covering up the latest injury, and the now faded bruise on her cheek was enough proof that what they were planning between them was the best thing to do. Her final act in life would be her gift of a new life to Laura.

*

Robert couldn't understand why his wife would keep spending as much time at the hospital beside the stupid old woman. He wanted her to focus on him, a jealously ate through him.

On the Thursday morning as he got ready he told her that he wanted her to meet him at work as there was a movie he wanted to see. Laura tried to explain that she wanted to be by Mrs Jackson's side, that it was important to her, but losing his temper he accused her again of seeing someone, so to appease him she agreed.

*

Chris was getting more and more frantic. He had turned up to walk Laura from the bus stop on the Tuesday morning, but she wasn't on any of the buses. Running up to the house he rang but there was no answer. He walked around looking in windows, climbing over the wall to the back garden and looking in through the French doors to the sitting room. There was no Mrs Jackson sitting on the couch, no sign of life, no Laura. That night he couldn't sleep, worrying, pacing, until getting dressed he left his flat and walked over the road to the house, checking to see if anyone was home at night. But there was no one there.

The next couple of days he sat at the bus stop. Each bus that came along didn't have the woman he loved stepping down from it along with the other passengers. Each day he left the stop and went into work, his thoughts in turmoil, wondering what to do.

On the Thursday he sat at the stop. What could have happened? Where were they?

Then suddenly it hit him, the old lady must have been taken to the hospice that Laura worked for. Running across the road from the stop he nearly got hit by a car whose driver shouted out the window after his back as he disappeared through his front gate, "Bloody idiot, you looking to get killed!"

Taking two stairs at a time, he sprinted up to his flat, and into the lounge, where in the corner of the room, tucked behind the big plant, amongst a pile of old motorbike magazines and newspapers he found the local directory. Sitting down on a couch, the directory on his lap he started thumbing through until he found the listings for Hospices in the area. Pulling his mobile out of his jeans pocket he dialled the first number, and asking for Laura Hamilton, found that she was not on the staff there. On the third call he found the correct hospice, and speaking to the Manager found out which hospital Laura was visiting with Mrs Jackson. Relief flooded through him. He sat there for a couple of minutes, feeling his body relax for the first time in days. Rising to his feet, he threw the directory on the coffee table and put the mobile back in his pocket, turned on his heel and strode out the room to the stairs. Running down and slamming the door behind himself, he half ran, half strode to his bike, and picking up the helmet, he pulled it on as he threw his leg over the seat, kicking down to start it, and with a rev, pulled out the drive to swing into the traffic and point the machine towards the hospital.

*

Distracted Laura walked up the corridor to the ward where Mrs Jackson had been placed. She had seemed to have gained a little more strength in the last couple of days. Hopefully she could be transferred to the Hospice, maybe today, or tomorrow.

"I've been going out of my mind with worry." a deep voice said to her left as she arrived at the ward door. Looking up there was Chris, standing hands in the back pocket of his jeans, his shoulders leaning against the wall behind him. He pushed off the wall and stepped forward towards her.

"You could have phoned me. Why didn't you?" Walking by him to sit on the bench by the wall, Laura sat shaking her head.

"I could have been here for you. I know how you feel about Mrs J and I could have been here. That's what friends are for." Then sitting down next to her picked up her hand. "Are you OK?"

"I didn't think you'd want to be here. Here at the hospital."

"You know not all men are like that. Like your husband. Treating people like he does. Trust me and ask for help."

Smiling up she asked "Will you come and visit her, she would love to see you."

"Yeah of course. How is she?"

"She's hanging in there. I think they'll move her soon to the hospice." then shyly she asked "will you stay with me today?"

Then that smile on his face, dimples creasing, eyes sparkling "Where else would I want to be!"

*

The nurse stood at the foot of the bed looking on as the man and the woman sat with the patient. The woman held the patient's hand as she spoke quietly with the woman in the bed, and the man sat slightly behind her with his arm across the back of her chair, every so often, his hand would move to her shoulder as if in reassurance.

She had seen this scene so often, family sitting with their loved ones, giving comfort to the ill and dying, saying their goodbyes, making their peace.

*

At the office the young girl kept looking across at the man. He had been ignoring her all week and she was hurt. She didn't know what to do. Should she go up and ask what she'd done wrong.

Only last weekend he had told her he loved what she did to him, and how she made him feel, and now he acted as if she didn't exist.

She stood there at the end of the large office area, looking across at him as he stood talking to two of the Account Managers. They were deep in discussion, every so often Robert would laugh and the other men looked at each other and smiled. Where they discussing her? A deep flush rose up from her chest to her face, and sweat broke out on her back. She prayed he wasn't telling them about last weekend. She hoped he would turn around and smile at her, walk across and tell her everything was alright and that they would meet up this weekend.

She knew he left her last weekend after that night at the hotel to go back to his wife, but like a drug she was hooked, and she believed what he had told her. That his marriage was in name only, that he hated his wife, that he needed time, and that soon he would be free.

*

Pam and Linda had watched as the young office girl kept looking at Robert with big wide eyes. Knowingly they looked at each other. They had seen this happen before. The coming on strong, the withdrawal of attention, return of attention, the reeling in of dependence, the emotional seesaw, the manipulation of emotions.

Each time the girls involved had thought that he cared, but gradually they had realised they were being used, and then they were gone.

Looking at Robert standing and talking with Charlie and Graham, totally oblivious and uncaring of the young blond girl watching him with a look of longing so apparent on her face, they shook their heads and Linda said, "I give this one another month at the most."

*

Robert laughed at the story that Graham had told. He was on a high; everything was going just as he wanted.

The deal was almost complete, and next month he would order his new car, tonight he and Laura were going to see the new movie he wanted to see, and the little office junior was hanging around giving him obvious body language signals of want. All in all his life was just as he wanted it. He had Laura under control, a willing little wife, there when he needed her, extra sex when he wanted, and he felt superior to his colleagues, bringing in the best deal this year.

Life was good.

*

Sitting at her desk in another office across town, Tricia sat planning revenge.

Her rage was building inside her. The rejection and humiliation she felt fed upon itself. She couldn't understand what he saw in that little nothing. She looked like a real loser. Not really attractive or sexy. Just skinny and plain. What does he see in her?

She bet the little cow's husband wasn't aware of the affair. That bore from the bar. What would he do if she told him? If she just dropped a hint to him in passing? He looked like the type to take it badly. Cold and egotistical, he wouldn't be the kind to take it without dishing it out to both of them. That was the way to get revenge. After all wasn't that what people said? Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Let the bore dish out her revenge.

And the feeling of satisfaction and anticipation dimmed the feelings of rage and humiliation, as the girl sat imagining the future and what the bore might do to the bastard who hurt her and the skinny cow he preferred to herself.

*

She stood next to him as he sat on the bike, shaking her head. "I'm not getting on that thing." The powerful machine seemed to be growling.

"It's perfectly safe, just put on the spare helmet and swing your leg over the seat."

"No."

"I promise I won't go fast."

"No."

"Scaredy cat!" he said with a big teasing smile.

Stepping back a little and gesturing to the bike she whispered, "It's too big and powerful."

She looked scared and he realised she was too frightened to take the risk. Backing down from pressuring her he leaned slightly back and enquired. "Ok, another time. How will you get home?"

"On the bus." Pointing over the road. "Direct from over there to the end of my road."

"And where is your road?"

She smiled "Over by the park, Grange Road, the semi at the end of the road near the stop"

"Well maybe another time."

He now knew where she lived, inwardly smiling he realised each small piece of information she gave him he hugged to himself.

*

"The film was violent, with the muscle bound hero killing his way through the rest of the cast in every conceivable way. The blood flowed everywhere and Laura kept her eyes closed for most of the movie. Robert loved it; it was just his type of film.

Even the sound of the film was violent, and a headache started to pound behind her eyes, The movie was popular as the cinema was full, and when it was over they stood and Robert lead the way out, extolling the film and the special effects. "Did you see that explosion? Great special effects. Those CGI guys are really great." He enthused, not even noticing that Laura hadn't agreed.

Laura followed him between the seats and up the aisle, blocking out his one sided conversation as they left the cinema and walked towards the bar at the end of the high street. Worrying about Mrs Jackson alone without visitors tonight, and whether she herself would be able to pull off collecting the money without being caught compounded her headache, ever present on her mind.

Robert carried on talking as they passed the shops with their window displays lit up, mannequins posed in fixed position, false smiles on their faces. "That's how I feel," she thought as she walked along. "A window dummy, empty with no real feeling any more, just going through the motions, pretending I am enjoying myself, no will of my own. Why can't he see it, what is it he hates about me, what have I done to annoy him so much?"

But of course there was nothing she had done wrong. Except marrying the wrong man.

*

The bar was noisy as they made their way across to get their drinks, weaving their way through groups of people laughing and talking, Robert leading the way, every so often waving or greeting people as they moved slowly across the large area.

Laura looked around to see if Chris was there, but she could see no sign of him. Reaching the bar, Robert asked for a bottle of red wine as usual. Laura hated red, and would have preferred a very light white wine, but Robert never asked her what she wanted, and the only time she asked if she could have a glass of white he told her she was a heathen with no taste in wine, and ignored her.

Grabbing the bottle and glasses they made their way back to the group that Robert seemed to know and she stood quietly with her glass of wine as the conversation swirled around her, headache increasing. Robert made a show of pouring everyone a top up from the bottle, and then handing Laura a £50 note from his pocket said "Be a love and go and get another bottle."

Slowly she made her way to the bar where she stood trying to get the barman's attention.

"Enjoying your bit of rough?"

Laura turned her head to look at the person who had spoken in her ear.

"I beg your pardon." Confused she saw that the person who had spoken to her was the girl she had seen with Chris here a couple of weeks ago.

"Does your husband know?" and turning around to look towards Robert the girl said "He doesn't look like the type to take it well, knowing his wife is screwing another man!"

Laura's face drained of blood, turning white. "I'm not!"

"Could have fooled me. You looked very friendly the other day. I'd say a little more than friendly......"

Laura looked across at Robert, being the life and soul of the group and back at the girl next to her, watching her like a cat with a mouse, a hard look on her face.

"You're wrong; there is nothing between Chris and me. He is just a friend. I hardly know him."

"Hardly know him. I saw you kissing." Leaning across closer she whispered "and he's very good isn't he. A very inventive mouth, and no inhibitions. Did you know that while he was screwing you he's been making love to me." Then leaning back, "bet your old man doesn't do to you what Chris does. But I guess that's why you're slumming it," and with a sarcastic laugh she walked away and over to where Robert stood.

Laura stood there stunned, her heart racing as she watched the girl now standing next to Robert, who was looking down at her with an angry look on his face. What was she saying to him? What if she told him that Chris and she were having an affair? He would kill her. He would kill her if he even thought they were just friends.

"What can I get you?" and she swivelled round, realising that the barman was asking her what she wanted. Blurting out her order she turned round to look at Robert and the girl, and relieved saw that she was no longer standing next to him, but walking away, and Robert was speaking with his friends and not glaring at her. Handing over the money and receiving her change, she put the money in her pocket and picking up the bottle and her glass took a deep breath, and like someone walking over to their execution went slowly over to Robert and his friends.

"You took your time." and taking hold of the bottle topped up people's glasses, and carried on talking.

Laura stood stock still, watching him, trying to see what mood he was in with her, but he just carried on talking with his friends as if she wasn't there, telling them about the film they had just seen.

*

'Let the bitch sweat,' Tricia thought. 'The look on her face, it was priceless.' She had no intention of telling the bore about Chris and the little cow yet. She was going to make them sweat, let them worry.

When the time was right she would let him know and sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

All she had done was say hello when she walked up to the bore, but the skinny woman at the bar didn't know that. Let her lose sleep over when she would tell him, and just what she was going to say.

The bore had been rude to her just now, and she was really looking forward to telling him about his mousy little wife. She really was going to have some fun.

Looking around the bar she saw a couple of men standing alone. Putting on a smile and walking over to them she raised her glass and looking at the one in the expensive looking suit said 'I've not seen you here before, my name is Trish, and you are?'

*

Robert had looked at the girl that blew him off for the Neanderthal the other week. She was flirting with him again. Little cock teaser. He wasn't going to fall for that again, and he told her to "piss off."

But a part of him felt good, she had come over and was interested in him again. Maybe he would come down here one night as see if she was still up for it. After all you never know. She might be worth it for one night.

*

"Laura's headache was pounding in her brain; everything seemed to be coming to a head all at once. She was finding it more and more difficult to juggle everything, Visiting Mrs Jackson and watching her deteriorate, dealing with Robert's increasingly erratic behaviour and treatment of her, putting her escape plan together, and now that woman threatening to tell Robert lies about her and Chris.