Lauren Adams Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, that must have been fun." She sat down on the recliner made of what looked like leather, but wasn't. "Did you see a movie together?"

I hesitated again. "No, actually. We left the theater and just talked." I was still aching from the news about my mother. Now was not the time for a line of questioning. I wished Lauren was there, standing by me, sitting on the sofa, anything. I needed something comforting. She must have sensed that something was wrong, because Ms. Adams ceased her interrogation.

"Is something wrong?"

I shook my head. "I'm fine." I chewed my biscuit. My scone. "This is nice, Ms. Adams."

"You can call me Colleen. Or Connie. Or mom." She laughed. She was way too friendly, and in way too good a mood for me to tell her about my troubles. I heard, and felt, another clasp of thunder outside the apartment.

It was then that Lauren came out in a big white towel robe. She went to the counter and grabbed a scone, drizzling it with honey. Looking over at her, I feigned my best innocent smile, but she knew something was wrong. She gave me a look that said, "Don't worry, I'll be right there," before disappearing back through the hallway.

I was silent all the while Lauren was clothing herself. I felt even more uncomfortable than I had when I didn't know Lauren's mom. Now I did know her, but I had known her for scarcely minutes, and I was already hiding things from her. And what I needed right now was to tell someone, anyone. Suddenly, impulsively, my tongue forced words out of my mouth:

"Ms. Adams?"

She was startled. "Yes, Bryan?"

Just then, a fully clothed Lauren walked back into the living room. She sat down on the sofa next to her mommy, and smiled at me. I waited for her to get comfortable before continuing.

"I just checked my e-mail..."

----------

I had told them everything. About how I left my mother with an abusive husband. About how I hadn't bothered to give her an address, a phone number, or anything with which she could keep in touch. I told them I was staying with a friend here, that I hadn't even bothered to call or contact my mother in a year and a half. And that because of my neglect, my mother was in the hospital with a broken neck. I looked up. Both Lauren and her mom were genuinely concerned. The sight was too much for me. Tears escaped from my eyes, sobs from my mouth, and I cried, loudly.

I felt four hands rubbing my shoulders and back as I continued sobbing. I heard Ms. Adams -- Colleen -- tell me it was going to be okay, that my mother wasn't too seriously hurt, that it could be taken care of. I was soothed. Not completely, but enough for me to continue my story through the sobs.

"My brother was the one who sent me the e-mail... he didn't abandon Mom like I did..."

Colleen spoke up again. "Now now, you can't think of it that way. There was nothing you could have done. Your brother wasn't able to stop it from happening, either."

I sat up, looking into Lauren's eyes, as beautiful as ever, just a hint of tears behind them, for me, for my mother. The rain was beating down harder now, a steady cadence of water streaming down the windows and walls. Her mom continued.

"I grew up believing that nothing happens by chance. Maybe I'm a fatalist, but I think there is a purpose to everything. Your mom surely didn't want you to have to suffer in that household any more than she had to. I'm sure she doesn't blame you for leaving. And I know she doesn't blame you for how your step-father is."

Lauren had been silent this whole time, and chose the perfect time to speak. "We can call your mom in the morning, and we'll go visit her when you don't have class."

That was a whole four days away. I shuddered. It was comforting how much Lauren and her mother cared. Surprising, too, especially in Colleen's case. I looked up at Ms. Adams, smiling weakly, and thanked her for her concern. Then I asked to be excused.

"Sure, sweetie." Her smile was warm. "Lauren, will you take him to your room?"

If what had just happened had not just happened, I would have been much more excited to have been going back to Lauren's room. Colleen helped me to my feet, and gave me a warm hug, speaking softly.

"Everything will be alright. Go rest now."

Lauren took my hand and led me down the hallway and into her room. She sat with me on the large, maybe queen-size bed and held both of my hands, nuzzling her head against my cheek. I was silent, my eyes still wet and sticky with tears. I felt her soft, sweet lips move gently across my shoulder, up to my neck, before resting on my cheek. I was very tired.

I lied down on the bed, wrapping in Lauren's comforter as she moved to my ear to whisper softly, "Do you need some time?"

I grasped her hands. The words came from my heart before my brain could stop them.

"I don't want to be alone..."

I fell asleep with Lauren by my side, holding my hand, stroking my hair, kissing me softly. After the night's events, after all the crying I did, I slept deeper than I ever have.