Legerdemain

Story Info
Sex and magic in the modern age.
3.4k words
4.28
16.2k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Liv walked down the cracked side walk. She pulled her black, woolen waistcoat around her against the early spring chill. Above her, street lights started to come on and they floated ahead of her like ghostly orbs in the fog. She kept her head down, turned up the collar on her coat, and made her way down the street through crowds of people who were making there way home this evening.

There was a sign that said 53rd and West and she turned down that way.

I hate coming this way on my own.Liv thought.

It was an alley: dirty, full of the stink of rot and garbage. Liv wrinkled her nose and pressed the cuff of her sleeve to her face.

You'd think the Cabal could find a decent place to meet.

She came to the dead-end brick wall of the ally and sighed. She was nervous enough about this evening without having to worry about where they were meeting this time.

Just remember what Dominic told you...

Liv fished around in her pockets for a moment and took out a fat piece of chalk—the kind kids got to draw on side walks with. She started at the base of the wall and drew an archway back down to the bottom of the other side. At the top of the arch she drew a lemniscate—a figure-eight on its side—and on the underside of it, she drew a '2' with vertical line through the strait end for the sign of Jupiter.

"Unus," Liv said as she tapped the chalk against the worn brick. "Duo, Tres..."

Nothing happened. She stood there for a moment, brow furrowed.

Maybe I didn't—

Liv raised the chalk to knock again and suddenly shafts of light started to pour from between the mortar. The bricks started to separate and fall away where she had drawn the arch. She coughed and covered her mouth against the brick dust and beyond it she heard something growl. The silhouette of three heads loomed in the dimness of the evening.

Brutus?

Liv stepped through the arch and a giant, three-headed dog leaped in front of her. It snarled and barked and its red eyes glared at her.

"Brutus!Ia savi tentis, rista!"

The Cerberus advanced on her, its teeth gnashing, wanting to taste flesh. Its three heads growled, heedless of the old command that Liv spoke.

"Brutus!"

Then, she felt a long, thick dog-tongue lick her hand.

"Brutus..." Liv muttered and gave it a pat on each of its heads as the bricks reformed behind her. "When I tell you to rest, yourest."

The Cerberus whined at her sharp tone.

"Don't be so hard on him, Liv."

"Dominic?"

A golden moat of flame flickered to life at the shoulder of a handsome, European man with dark hair and sharp features.

"He's 300 years old—Brutus doesn't hear so well."

Liv frowned at him.

"Yeah, well... It's all fun and games until someone gets mauled."

"Come on, Liv" he chuckled as he held out his hand to her. "This is your night. We don't want to keep the others waiting."

Dominic's hand was warm and familiar in hers as the golden flame cast their shadows on the shifting, changing walls. He led her down the hall that started to expand and unfold into the inside of a European-looking monastery. Somewhere behind, Brutus loped along after them.

"What is this place?" Liv murmured.

"When you opened the door, you opened up a rift into a sort of... pocket universe." He said. "We're walking in between worlds here: between our world and the ethereal world. We're standing in the middle of--"

"—Chaos." Liv finished for him. "It feels like chaos. I can feel it squirming against my skin. It feels wrong."

Dominic nodded

"The sensation will pass. You'll get used to the... unnatural feel of it. The nice thing about Chaos is that it can be molded into whatever we desire."

"And we desire a monastery?"

"Idesire a monastery—they're beautiful and peaceful." Dominic smiled. "Perfect for workings. I miss Europe; someday I'll take you."

Liv only nodded and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. She was usually more talkative than this, especially when they hadn't seen each other in some time. They stopped just outside the grand, wooden double doors of the beautiful monastery that had been molded out of chaos stuff.

"Liv?" Dominic said softly as he took her face in his hands. "What's--"

"--There's nothing wrong...."

The hell there isn't!He wanted to say, but Liv turned away from him and threw open the double doors. Shafts of light touched her as they streamed through the stained glass. For a moment, she was caught up in its beauty and peace.

How is he doing this?Liv thought as she glanced up at the high, ornately carved ceiling of the monastery's sanctuary.

She looked to where there might've been an altar, but sitting cross-legged and floating in the air was a pale, elven woman. She was barely clothed in diaphanous white that fluttered around her. In her hands, she held a pearlescent ball that was alight with cold, silver fire.

His Other?

"Livy!"

From up the red aisle, Liv saw Suyin coming up and Piper trailing behind her.

The fey-like Other at the Chinese woman's shoulder pushed off and fluttered towards her. The pixyish beauty gave Liv an impish grin as it hovered before her, gave her a sudden peck on lips, and giggled as she zipped off and fluttered behind her mistress.

Liv blushed as she absently touched her lips, and the little pixy peered out at her from behind Suyin's shoulder with a grin.

"Ai's missed you," Suyin said.

She held Liv a little closer and whispered in her ear:

"So have I...."

Suyin lightly inhaled the gentle, heady scent of sweet spice and musk that Liv wore. It was Egyptian musk—her favorite scent on her.

"Suyin," Liv said softly "It's good to see you too...."

Suyin held on a little longer, a little tighter.

"Okay." Piper said. "Break it up. Stop hogging her, Suyin."

Dominic chuckled and Liv looked up to see a man's handsome body fit with a bull's head, gently prying them apart. His long, willowy wings fluttered, agitated.

"Tyros." Liv murmured.

Piper walkedthroughhis Other then, and Suyin gave an exasperated sigh as he came between them and embraced Liv. The bull-headed Tyros gave Suyin a cool look.

I told you she's not gay!Piper's thoughts crashed against Suyin's.

Maybe she's bi!Suyin shot back.

That's your wishful thinking—she's Dom's girl and youknow it!

Suyin only crossed her arms and pouted. Ai peered around her and gave Tyros an ugly look; he shrugged it off.

"It's good to have you back, Liv." Piper said gently.

Liv nodded and she glanced over his shoulder. Piper's brow furrowed slightly.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I keep thinking I'll see Seth."

Dominic came behind Liv then and brought his arms around her. Suyin couldn't stand to look at them together, and she turned away.

"He died...."

"It wasn't your fault." Dominic said softly. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"Those things killed him because of me." Liv whispered.

Suyin came to her then, and laid a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"If it wasn't for Seth," Suyin said, "the wraith would've drained you and torn your psyche to pieces. He saved you life."

"Yeah," Liv smiled weakly. "He did."

Dominic kissed the top of her forehead. So many times he'd wished to god that her Awakening had been more peaceful. He held her tight and gave her a gentle squeeze. For long moments, there was a sad, almost awkward silence that touched the beautiful sanctuary, and then the sound of bells struck the air. Dominic turned Liv to face him and he brushed dark hair away from her eyes.

"It's time..."

Dominic looked to Suyin.

"Help her get ready--Piper and I will set the circle. I'll let you know when we're done."

Suyin nodded, and Piper gave her a last look of warning.

Suyin...

She gave Piper an annoyed look.

"C'mon Liv," she said. "Let's leave the boys to their work."

Suyin defiantly took Liv's hand and Piper rolled his eyes. She heard Tyros snort disapprovingly as Suyin led her down the red aisle towards the heavy doors that lead further into the monastery.

*****

Liv expected to come out into another room, but instead she found herself in a small courtyard. The Byzantine domes of the monastery stretched up to the sky as she and Suyin passed the Phiale. Liv heard the crash of waves and smelled the scent of salty sea air as they cut through the Refectory and back out again where a whole seaside landscape was revealed.

"This is like the Mediterranean," Liv said. "He's what? Projecting this whole thing or something?"

"Dominic's Other, Damara, is keeping it together." Suyin said as she led Liv towards the bathhouse.

"He molds Chaos with his will, but Damara maintains the structure of it and keeps it all in place. That way he can do other things so he doesn't have to doeverythinghimself to keep this up."

"It's... very beautiful."

Suyin gave Liv a playful smirk.

"He's just showing off because it's your night."

Liv blushed as Suyin's hand slipped out of hers. The other woman pushed open the door to the bathhouse. Warmth and the herbal scent of sweet grass burning on a nearby brazier greeted them.

"I didn't get the royal treatment whenIfully Awakened." Suyin said as she started to strip off her clothes.

Ai appeared, took her clothes and hung them on the wooden pegs near the bath.

"All I got was: Congratulations, you're a witch—let's throw you into the Ether so you can bring back your Other."

"I'm sorry..." Liv said as Suyin settled into the bath.

"It's ok—I shouldn't complain... You're the one that got the bad deal."

Suyin's brow furrowed.

"What are you waiting for?" she said as she scooped sea salt out of a stoneware jar and sprinkled it into the water. "We have to get you purified."

"But--"

Suyin sidled up to the marble edge of the bath and rested her breasts on her forearms.

"I'm not going to try anything Liv." She smiled slightly. "Ipromise."

But I sure as hell want you!Suyin thought.I want to touch you, Liv, to taste you... I want to feel your body against mine!

"So c'mon already."

Suyin pushed away from the edge of the bath abruptly. Liv nodded and started to take off her clothes. Ai took them away as well and she hesitantly walked towards the bath.

"Don't be shy..." Suyin coaxed.

The marble was cool under Liv's bare feet as she walked up the few small steps and sank into the bath. She brushed some of her hair behind her ear and sighed.

"I don't know about any of this."

Suyin came behind her then and started to gently scrub Liv down. She gritted her teeth as her breasts lightly grazed Liv's back. Temptation taunted her and she felt her clit start to throb for the beautiful woman in front of her.

"It's a routine ritual." Suyin said as she tried to ignore her arousal.

She took some more salt in her hands and started to scrub down Liv's neck, shoulders and arms.

"We send you into the Ether, you pass whatever test you need to pass or bond with your Other in whatever way it wants, and you come back, fully Awakened, and apart of the Harridan Cabal."

So close, Suyin thought as she leaned in closer to Liv's neck.Just one kiss...

"Wait," Liv said as she abruptly turned to Suyin, "wait a minute—no one said there would be a test or bonding or whatever!"

"To be worthy of your Other, there has to be complete harmony between you. It may be a part of you and you havesomecontrol over it, but it's still an entity with a will of its own. To pass whatever test it sets for you or to bond with it in the way it wishes, shows trust. without your Other. It would be very difficult, if not impossible to work magic otherwise."

The two women looked up to see Dominic standing there in the bathhouse. Suyin eased away from Liv, a bit embarrassed.

"Suyin, I'd like to have a moment with her alone before we take her into the circle."

She nodded and rose from the bath. Ai fluttered over to her with a towel and she dried herself off. Suyin walked over to one of the benches where black ceremonial robes were folded and put one on. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Dominic stroke Liv's hair and her face tightened. She left the bathhouse for the Rectory with Ai trailing behind her.

"I apologize for not explaining about retrieving your Other sooner." Dominic said as he sat at the edge of the marble bath.

He paused for a moment, his brow furrowed.

"something's bothering you. It's more than just Seth. Talk to me... If it's about us, about me being gone for so long--"

"—No," Liv smiled sadly. "It's not you. Piper told me it would probably take you a while to make a space for us."

She gestured towards the window where the monastery was framed in it.

"I just didn't think it would be likethis."

For long moments there was silence and she looked down at the water.

"I'm scared." Liv whispered as she threw her wet arms around him.

"Liv..."

Dominic cradled her against his chest and kissed the top of her head.

"It's ok. You should've told me."

"I'm not sure of any of this," she cried into his chest. "I could barely open the gate to get in here! And those wraith things—what if they come back?"

"Look at me." Dominic said as he turned her chin up to him. "It's normal to have difficulty working magic without an Other, but you didwell. As for the Wraiths, if they do come back, we're here for you, Liv.I'mhere for you."

Dominic kissed her gently at first and then more ardent. His tongue sought hers and Liv moaned softly into his mouth. Dominic's clothes started to fade at his unconscious will as his hand slipped into her wet hair. Liv's slick breasts pressed and slid against his warm, bare chest and he made his way into the bath, to her.

Liv felt Dominic reach for her mind and her body. She felt him everywhere on her skin; above the water and below it, around her and through her. Liv felt her back pressed against the wet marble and her legs parted, inviting Dominic to her.

"Dominic...." she barely gasped against his ear.

Dominic gently pushed his way past her warm, wet lips. Liv's nails dug into his back and he hissed in pleasure as her legs did there best to wrap around him. She felt comforting, protective warmth settle in her mind and she felt herself calm. Dominic was inside her, even in her head, just as he had been their first time together.

Surrender to me...his voice whispered in her mind.

Liv's eyes fluttered closed and all her fears started to fade as Dominic found a gentle rhythm. Water lapped and swirled against them as he moved a little faster.

I need you!

He nipped at her neck, kissed her along and underneath her jaw, and his hands found the marble edge of the bath. Dominic pushed against Liv and she pressed back, even as she clung to him.

Surrender, Liv—let go...

Dominic!

He drove forward, harder, faster. The water around them splashed against marble and flesh and Liv cried out. Dominic smiled gently on her. Liv's face was in sweet ecstasy and he felt her mind slowly giving way.

That's it...

Everything started to fade except for the warmth of the water around her and Dominic inside her. Liv's hips worked faster, as fast as Dominic's now. She strained to have him as hard and as deep as she could. Liv could barely breathe and suddenly the bathhouse was pierced with her screams of pleasure when she came. Dominic growled softly against Liv's neck and she gasped when she felt the pulse of his cock inside her.

For long moments, they stayed together as their orgasms subsided. Liv nuzzled Dominic's ear and his nose gently traced her cheek.

"Liv," Dominic murmured softly. "I won't leave you."

"I know..."

Liv kissed him gently as she felt the last of his mind slipped away from hers, but the intensity of all his emotions, his concern, his love for her, still lingered and clung to hers. It warmed her, moved her to tears, and Dominic brushed them away.

"When all this is done, we'll have time, I promise." He said. "You'll need the rest before you can work in the circle with us anyway."

Dominic helped Liv out of the bath. A white robe materialized at Dominic's whim and he helped Liv into it. He took her face in his hands and kissed her gently one last time.

"You'll be fine in the circle." Dominic said softly as he took her hand and led her out of the bathhouse. "Piper and Suyin are waiting for us..."

*****

Liv lay on the stone floor of the Rectory inside the center of an octagram enclosed in a great circle. There was an arcane symbol drawn in each of its triangular points.

At the bottom of the octagram, Suyin was there in her black robes. To her right, Tyros was there, arms crossed and to her left, was Ai who hovered on luminous wings. Liv tilted her head back and saw Piper, also in black robes.

"Where's Dom?"

"Dom can't be in the circle right now." Piper said. "He and Damara can't maintain the monasteryandhelp get you into the Ether—it's too much."

Liv glanced beyond Tyros and saw Dominic sitting in an old wooden chair, anxious, as he idly petted Brutus.

"You'll be ok." Piper said. "Now close your eyes and we'll see you in a few."

As soon as Liv shut them, there was a strange sensation in the air around her. She heard chanting and felt something electric run across her skin. The chanting of Suyin and Piper's Latin grew louder and louder and the air around her snapped and popped. Ozone tickled her nose and soon she felt her body start toburn.

Liv squirmed against it, she tried to cry out but she had no voice. The chanting rang in ears and crashed against her, leaving echoes of energy rippling through her. Then, everything froze: her breath, her body,time. Everything became light, and Liv felt herself dissolve...

*****

Something prowled in the darkness of the alley, something dark and misshapen. It sniffed at the air and awkwardly loped up to the brick at the end. It pawed at it with an oozy, clawed hand, and snorted triumphantly.

"Good boy."

A man came from the alley's shadows and idly skimmed his fingers across the brick. He relaxed his eyes and saw the residue on them glow a pale blue.

Enchanted chalk.Gregor thought.Cute. Some things never change...

From his long coat, he took a wooden baseball bat inscribed with blasphemous, eldritch runes.

"Is this the place?" a voice purred from somewhere above him.

Gregor looked up and saw a woman spider-climbing down the side of the building. She bounded off the wall the last few feet and landed on the broken asphalt. Her pointed ears twitched, annoyed.

"Don't be so damned impatient, Cassiel" he said as he hefted the bat over his shoulder. "this is where the last of the Harridans are."

"Inside a wall?" she smirked. "You really are as stupid as you look. Creed was right about--"

He ignored her, raised the bat, and swung. Hard. It flared with bright green flame as it wrecked the brick. He swung again and again, as hard as he could and sparks splashed in the darkness of the alley as Cassiel watched him beat his way through the Harridan gate.

"I don't give a damnwhatCreed thinks!" Gregor grunted.

Soft light drifted out of the ruined wall now. Some of it settled on a pile of trash and something in grew eyes and teeth and sucking tentacles. It screeched and scurried away into the darkness.

"Let's go—we don't have a lot of time. If too much of this shit leaks into this world, we'll all be screwed. Creed included."

Cassiel gave an exasperated sigh. With a wave of her hand, dark, wispy figures in tattered, black cloaks appeared. She led them into the chaos where the Harridans were hiding.

12