Letting Go

Story Info
When it's over, let go.
13.2k words
4.43
13.8k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,297 Followers

Hi everyone. This is a story that I worked on towards the end of my break. I just had a chance to polish it up and post it. I'm placing it under romance. I hope you enjoy.

I want to thank Andi for checking behind me. Any errors found are not because of this wonderful person. I'm not perfect so I'm sure you will spot a few mistakes. Please don't let them ruin the story for you. All characters are above the age of consent.

Now, read and share your thoughts.

*****

LETTING GO

What do you want from me, Kyle? I've done everything for you. You expect me to sit here and let you walk out of our marriage? Hell no, we took vows? Katrina recalled as she waited, watching the closed apartment before her.

Katrina, honestly, I don't give a fuck what you do. I don't want you anymore. I'm moving on and I suggest you do the same. Her husband of twelve years stated angrily at her before walking out. She knew where he was going, so she called the only other person, besides her Mom that she could count on. She called David.

Sitting on a dark corner in her brother's car, she watched him as he left the apartment complex. He never lied about his intentions. He was eerily polite, but lately something changed. Kyle never spoke to her the way he did tonight, and she knew it was because of her. It was because the girl, Jasmine, whose home he just left.

David knew his sister was hurting, and a part of him wanted to strangle her husband. However, now was not the vengeance, he needed to help Katrina.

Jasmine! Katrina was not stupid, but she was not about to roll over and play dead. They took vows, and if her husband thought he would walk away from their marriage and give that girl everything she worked to build with him, he had another think coming. Katrina had one goal. She was taking her husband back.

"Sissy, he isn't worth this. You know dad didn't raise you to act like this." David reminded his sister, as he drove her back home. He drove in silence, both aware of the events that took place earlier.

"David, twelve years, I gave this man years of my life. We took vows. He had nothing when we started. I was with him, David. I can't let him walk away. He wants everything. He told me that this morning." She whispered.

David was not surprised. Kyle was a decent guy at first. When he and Katrina met, they were both business majors and worked together to start their own business. They were so dedicated to starting their careers that they decided to put off having children.

"Sissy, you deserve better than this." David whispered.

Katrina looked at her brother. " What am I supposed to do without him, David? He is my life, and I can't give him up."

"Let go." David suggested. "You can't force the man to love you, Trina. You'll only make yourself sick by trying. Besides, he is not worth this stress you keep putting yourself through. Clearly he has moved on. Let him go."

Katrina stared at the front door. She knew David was right. Her brother was always right. She got out of the car, and David walked with her. He escorted her into her home, and was not surprised to find Kyle waiting. Kyle was not even upset. He spoke and David sighed. "Trina, pack a bag. I want you to stay over at my apartment tonight." He stated.

"No, I'm not leaving. I'll be fine." Trina hugged her brother and suggested that he go on home. David hesitated, but he did go out to his vehicle. Soon, Katrina heard him crank up and leave. She faced her husband.

"Did you see enough?" Kyle asked.

Katrina faced him "I want time Kyle. You can't tell me that twelve years mean nothing to you."

Kyle exhaled; at one time, he loved his wife. They both started with nothing, and she worked to support them as he built their business. Then when their business was viable, she joined him. For the last ten years, Katrina was his rock, and then he realized that he just didn't love her any more.

He met Jasmine. She applied for a post and was hired. He talked to her and the girl fascinated him. He was generous to Katrina. She could keep the house. Their accounts would be divided fifty-fifty. The divorce could go through easily if she would stop fighting him.

"Kyle, talk to me." She demanded.

Kyle faced his wife. "There's nothing to talk about. I'm moving out. The house is yours. You'll hear from my lawyers." He added as she went to their bedroom. Katrina was frozen as she watched her husband pack his bag.

"What did do wrong, Kyle? I did everything that I thought you wanted. I loved you. I spent my life caring for you. I helped you reach your dreams. How can you walk out on me?"She cried.

Kyle looked at his wife "I just don't love you anymore Katrina. I'm in love with someone else. This marriage is over, good bye." He walked out. Katrina collapsed. She dedicated her life to her husband. How would she live without him. That girl didn't deserve her life; she didn't deserve her husband. She was fighting a divorce. No matter what, she was not giving him up so easily.

David drove his apartment. He really didn't want to leave Katrina alone with Kyle, but they were married and it was not his place to interfere. He did call his sister back. She answered the phone, sobbing. "He left. David he left. He went to her." She cried.

Not wasting a minute, David rushed back to his sister's home and picked her up. She was not staying there by herself tonight. She sobbed as he drove to his small apartment. Opening the door and letting her inside, he offered her his room. This situation was awful. Her soon to be ex-husband was someone he once considered a friend. He watched for years as they struggled, and saw the sacrifices both made. Katrina loved her husband and Kyle seemed to love his wife. David was not sure when another woman entered the picture, but he was aware of subtle change in their relationship. A part of him wanted to go after the man that broke his sister, but he realized that was not his place. The best thing for him to do was to be there for Katrina. He had to be the big brother that she needed. Kyle hurt Katrina and in all honesty it was undeserved. Katrina went to bed, and David stayed up. Not knowing what to do, he did the only thing he knew to do. He prayed. When he was done, then he called Mom.

"Hello, David, is everything alright? What has happened?" Beulah Norris asked.

"Kyle moved out tonight. I brought Katrina home. She's sleeping in my room." David explained. Beulah sighed. She knew this was coming. She had prayed for strength for her daughter and now this was upon them.

David continued, "Momma, she's devastated. I don't know what to say. I can't fix this. He asked for a divorce."

Beulah sighed. She understood how Katrina felt. The girl loved her husband. She sacrificed for her marriage. She placed no one but God before Kyle, yet he found happiness someplace else.

"In the morning, bring her home. She can stay with me." Beulah stated.

Katrina did not sleep. He was leaving her. He was actually done with her. He filed for divorce. This was something they never talked about. Where would she go? What would she do now? For the past twelve years, her life, her whole identity was him.

Balling her body in a tight ball, Katrina wept. David listened. His heart broke for her. She did not deserve this, but he would rather the man leave than stay around and become cruel and hateful to her.

Earlier that night, after walking out on his wife, Kyle stood outside of Jasmine's apartment. He felt horrible, but he also believed that he deserved to be happy. Jasmine made him happy and Katrina did not. Before he could knock, she opened her door and welcomed him back inside. He would have left them with Katrina, but he knew she would rip them to pieces.

"Baby, are you alright?" Jasmine asked. Her big hazel eyes full of worry. She knew Kyle never wanted to hurt his soon to be ex-wife, but he loved her now. Katrina had to let him go.

Kyle sighed, "She threw a fit. I brought the papers with me. I'll give them to her on the office." Kyle lay down in her bed, Jasmine froze. Kyle finished speaking. "Stay home next week. There is no reason for you to be there."

Jasmine smiled, "I love you." She whispered, Kyle pulled her onto the bed with him and wondered why he even bothered to leave her and go home in the first place. Kyle sighed. Katrina was a good woman. He just didn't love her anymore. He would even admit that she helped him build his business. Without her support, he never would have gotten this far. However, each day he grew to despise her and that was not good. He'd rather let go than have his feelings turn into hate. He inhaled, and the sweet perfume Jasmine always wore filled his nostrils. He sighed, content, as he thought about the beautiful woman that was now in his arms. Jasmine was young, beautiful, and devoted to him.

As soon as his divorce from Katrina was finalized, he was marrying Jasmine. Kyle fell asleep dreaming of the new family he would have someday soon.

The next morning, Katrina walked into his office. The look on her face said it all. Everyone gave her a wide berth. She entered his office and was not surprised to see that Jasmine was not perched at her desk. He more than likely told her to stay home. Not even bothering to address the temporary receptionist, she marched int her husband's office. Kyle knew she was pissed and rightfully so, but that did not change anything. He was ready for an argument. "Katrina, we are at work and we don't need to make a scene. Last night, I took the papers with me. All you have to do is sign them. We don't have to drag this out."

"Years of my life, and I was devoted to you. Yet you want to walk away. What about my time, my sacrifices? We were supposed to have a family, to be together for all time. What do I get, Kyle, nothing? You're wrong. You don't want me anymore, fine. However half of everything you own belongs to me, and I want my money. You want a divorce, buy me out. Oh, and the house, it's mine. You want to fight me on it, then I'll see your ass in court. You know something else, I deserve better than a lying no good cheater. Give me the papers. I'll sign them as soon as my attorney makes sure my assets are protected." Then she walked out. No one talked at work that day. Katrina stayed in her office away from her husband, and Kyle did the same.

Katrina called her attorney and they met over lunch. He took the papers with him and agreed to call her later in the day. Kyle was extremely generous in his divorce decree. He actually divided their assets; the only problem was he wanted the house. After calling Kyle's attorney, Kyle eventually agreed to let Katrina have the house, on the condition that he would not have to pay alimony beyond the first six months of the divorce.

Katrina received a call from her lawyer, they met and he explained the new terms. Katrina was relieved, yet saddened. Her husband was divorcing her. He was leaving her for a younger, more beautiful woman. Her lawyer stopped by the office and returned two sets of divorce papers. Kyle needed to sign both sets. One was to file and another or their records.

Katrina took both sets and thanked her attorney. It was time to deal with her philandering spouse. She marched into Kyle's office and asked for a pen. He gave her one, and she sighed both sets of papers. Handing him his pen, he signed also.

Katrina glared at him. He knew she was hurt, but he could not fix that. She was still young and could meet someone else someday. "Goodbye Kyle," She whispered as she turned and walked out of his office. Picking up the papers, Kyle called his attorney. True to form, Katrina arrived in court and demanded a hefty alimony payment and wanted him to buy out her share of the business at above market value. She also wanted the house. And two of the four cars they owned.

Jasmine gasped. Kyle looked over that her and smiled. He warned her that he was giving up a lot of things, but together they would rebuild. Kyle then faced the judge and told him that she could the house and her car. The other three cars were his and he was not parting with them. Also, he would not buy out her shares if the business and pay her a large alimony settlement. He asked the judge to please make a fair decision.

Katrina fired back. Everything he had she helped build. The judge quieted to courtroom. He asked Kyle, did Katrina help build his business. Kyle admitted that she did. He asked if she contributed to the home. Kyle admitted that she did, and that it was her credit rating that helped them secure the dwelling. She was also instrumental in helping him secure the necessary loans to start their company.

He faced Katrina and asked about the cars. Why did she want two? Katrina explained that she bought him the cars as gift, and there was no way she wanted to see another woman in them. Kyle started yelling and the judge banged his gavel.

The judge found out the value of the remaining two cars and rendered his decision. Kyle would buy out Katrina's shares in his company, he would pay alimony for one year. Katrina would keep the house and all of her personal belongings. Since the cars were gifts, Katrina could not decide to take them back because she was angry. Kyle could keep all three cars. A little over an hour later, they were no longer married. Katrina hid it as well as she could, but she was devastated.

Returning home to the home she shared with her husband, Katrina sat on the stairs. She relived every happy memory she shared with Kyle.

David stopped by. "Katrina, look. You can stay with me or Momma. You don't have to stay here." He explained.

Katrina stood. "This is my home, David. I made payments on this house, just like he did. I want Momma to move over here with me. That apartment is not safe and I have room now. As a matter of fact, you can move in too. I don't want to stay here by myself."

Dave looked, "Katrina, you can sell it. It holds too many memories. You can buy another house. I'll help you look."

She knew her brother meant well. He just didn't get it. She did everything she could for her husband to keep him happy. But sleeping with another woman was a deal breaker. That she would not forgive. The house was not just a house to her. There were months they went without food to pay the mortgage. Kyle refused to find work as he was determined to start his company. She worked, paid the bills, while he stayed home. Then he started to company and the moment he became successful, he replaced her. So no, this wasn't just a house. This was her house.

She needed to talk about something else. "David, why have you never married?" Katrina asked.

David sighed, "I was called into the ministry. God has not revealed the woman he made for me yet. When he does, then I will take a wife."

"I thought Kyle was my other half and I was wrong." Katrina whispered.

David sat and held his sisters hands. "Life is not always smooth. You plan things one way and life throws curve, hill, valley, and even a storm in your way. You are a good woman Katrina. You were with that man for ten years. You never strayed. You kept your vows. God sees that. But now, don't think about Kyle, Jasmine or anything else. Think about what you need now."

Katrina nodded. David was right. Her doorbell rang and her friends came over. They sat and David made excuse to leave. She spent the rest of the day with her two best friends.

That night, Beulah called and she joined her and David for dinner. Katrina invited her mother to come live with her. Beulah sighed, "I'll come and stay with you for a while, but I am coming back home." Katrina tried to protest. Beulah smiled. "Right now, you're hurting and don't need to be alone, but you will get through this." She hugged her close. Katrina cried.

After dinner, Katrina didn't want to go back to the house, so she stayed in her mother's guest room.

The next day she woke up and realized that she no longer had a job to report to. When they divorced, he took control of the company buying her shares. Katrina was lost.

David stopped by his Mom's on his way to the church. "Trina, come with me. You can help with the less fortunate today. It will give you something to focus on." He explained.

Katrina accompanied him to his office. Miss Nellie greeted them. And she hugged Katrina so tightly. "Baby girl, you will be fine," She whispered. Then they prepared for their guest. Slowly people started trickling in. Katrina stood on the line and helped serve breakfast. Soon, some young men came in complaining about the meal. David and one of his deacons told them to leave. A few elderly people came through and ate. Katrina and Ms. Nellie had them to sit and bought their metals over. She was surprised to see an older lady with several small children. She and Ms. Nellie served them as well. Before long the small fellowship hall at the church was packed. Eventually the crowd thinned and they had to prepare the lunch. Katrina had never worked so hard in a long time.

Lunch was more chaotic than breakfast. The young men came back, but were more subdued. They actually tried to flirt with Katrina. Soon they left and everyone finished eating and the kitchen and dining room were cleaned. David was about to drive his sister back to their Mom' house. Katrina stopped and smiled at him, "David, thank you for today."

He smiled. She would be fine.

~~~~~

Two months later, Katrina was back at work. A few weeks after Kyle filed, she had to take control of her life, so she started looking. She wasn't worried about money, the divorce left her well off, but she had to move on with her life.

During the week, she reported to a local business office and managed their orders, on weekends; she helped her brother at his church.

"Hey Ms. Katrina, glad to see you here." A man spoke. Katrina smiled,

"Fred, back up because I don't want Rose to kick my behind." She teased. He laughed and she served him. A few more people came through, and Rose was there.

"Rose, how are you?" She asked, truly concerned.

"I'm ok; the cancer is back. I go to chemo next week." She answered, Katrina gasped. Fred said nothing.

"I told Fred not to say anything. I don't want people talking." Then she joined her husband. Katrina was actually jealous because she watched as he made room for his wife. These people had nothing, yet they had everything. She had every material thing she could want, yet she was alone.

The meals had been served, and her bother asked her to fix him a meal. She had one too and they sat. David watched his sister. "You know, Sunday we have an anniversary at the church. I want you to come."

"David, I don't know. The last time I came, Sister Geraldine laid into me about my husband divorcing me. She was just mean." She explained.

"Yes, some of the older members are vocal, but they are not the only members. Momma is coming too. She is actually missing service at St. Vernon to come. I want you there. Please come." He asked.

Katrina looked at her older brother. He stood behind her and with her when the whole world came against her. She could count on him. If he wanted her with him on Sunday, she was there.

David was happy. The head minister at the church was being honored. As an associate pastor, he was proud of his leader. It was because of Elder Rainey that he was able to run his street ministry. On Sunday, he was delivering the message and he wanted his sister there to hear it.

Katrina was beautiful. She was his baby sister, and to him that made her damn near perfect. Kyle was a fool and he was glad they divorced.

Katrina helped clean up then she went home. Driving into her yard, she saw a package at her door. She retrieved in and went inside. They were her final documents from her divorce. As of two days ago, she was a free woman. Katrina sat on the stairs in her huge home. She looked around. Kyle, everywhere she looked, she saw her ex-husband. However, she remembered years ago when they first found this house: They were denied the first home loan they applied for. Then, they found a finance company that would back them. However a hefty down payment was required. She and Kyle depleted their savings to buy the home. Because of Kyle's credit rating the payments were high, but for the first two years she paid them. When the business started turning a profit, Kyle began paying half of the mortgage. They opted for a fifteen year mortgage instead of the standard thirty years one and in a few years, it would be paid off. Katrina sighed, because she sacrificed every cent she owned to pay for this house. This was her home, and she was not leaving.

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,297 Followers