Life on Another Planet Ch. 14-18

Story Info
First Christmas, Gregor, Joanna, Roberta, and Kirsten.
22.6k words
4.8
15.1k
12

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/22/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers

Chapter 14 Revelation

Friday, December 23, 2011, 9pm

Jesse and Gregor walked out of the media room side by side. Gregor had just shown Jesse a pair of DVD's that explained both the mechanics of the new technology he had developed as well as some actual surgery using the equipment. Jesse was stunned into silence as he watched a procedure to replace a faulty heart valve and then a colonoscopy. He understood the heart surgery, but had no idea what the colonoscopy was about until Gregory explained it to him.

"I feel like I just had a high level science lecture, Gregor. Your invention is amazing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first. When you showed me the tiny scar that the heart surgery left, it was even more amazing. It's one thing to have a TV camera inside you, it's another for it to be attached to a tool to do surgery. I can't even begin to imagine how you thought of that."

"Well, we're pretty proud of our development, but it was really a case of bringing two different concepts together and making them work in unison. The big thing in medicine these days is to reduce the time in hospital for the patient, and of course, speed up the recovery. Our equipment does exactly that. That colonoscopy you saw took only two hours in the hospital, and one of those hours was for the paperwork," he grinned.

Jesse could only shake his head. "What's next?" has asked.

"Oh, we have a couple of projects on the go, but it's too early to discuss them," he said. "We wouldn't want anyone to steal our ideas, you see."

"Yeah, I understand that," Jesse agreed. "You know, the thing that amazes me is how much more you can do with so much less. I mean, this equipment isn't very big. When I got an x-ray done, the nurse had the picture on a TV screen almost right away. Then she just emailed it to my doctor. Everywhere I look, I see more work being done using less energy. Eve's car is more powerful than cars of the past, but is much more efficient. The two batteries in my little LED flashlight are triple-A, but the light is brighter and stronger than the old flashlights. More work, less power. That's the big thing I notice."

"You haven't been around long enough to see all the changes I've seen," Gregor said, nodding. You're right, of course. The progress we make is largely due to doing more and yet use less energy to accomplish it. It isn't just cars, or medical instruments, or batteries. It's all kinds of accomplishments that have been made in the last half century. I've always believed it began with the invention of the transistor. It opened the way for very bright people to understand the opportunity of micro-circuitry. There was a time when computers took up large spaces, but could do only very basic functions. Look at what they can do now. They're everywhere in our society, from wristwatches to aircraft."

Jesse was lying in bed that night, wondering how he could grasp all the changes that had taken place in his fifty missing years. Gregor had opened his eyes to the possibilities of the future. What he thought was science fiction, was already in place, with more fantastic developments to come. Maybe it wasn't possible to keep up with everything from the past. Maybe he would just have to learn to use the technology as it came along and not worry about its mechanics. When he thought about it, it was exactly how Mica was using these devices. He could programme his TV to record, use his computer as an encyclopaedia, and take advantage of the features on his cell phone. It was doubtful he had any idea how it was developed or how it worked. He just knew it did and that was enough.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 7am

Jesse had been up at his usual hour of six and had showered, dressed, and in the kitchen putting the coffee on. He assumed he was the only person up as there was no sound from any of the upstairs bedrooms. He took a banana and retrieved a fresh scone from the cake container, and headed for the great room (an alternate word for living room, he learned). There were still stars visible as there was no light from the town through the south-west facing window wall. There had been an inch or two of new snow, but a glance at the eastern horizon suggested it might be clear that day.

His two hours with Gregor last night were revealing on a number of levels. First, he was a brilliant man. Not just a scientist and inventor, but a practical man. He took known technology and used it to create new or better concepts. The medical device was developed from existing materials from other sources, including spy cameras, optical fibre technology, and space satellite technology.

It took years to reduce the size and improve the quality of the picture transmission, but gradually, they transformed it into a high definition format. That was the final piece that made them multi-millionaires. With a reasonable amount of training, they taught surgeons to use this technology for their benefit. It was accepted in the US first since it was a way to increase hospital revenue. The insurance companies welcomed it when they realized the number of after surgery infections and other complications that lengthened stays or even caused death would be dramatically reduced.

In general, the hospitals chose not to reduce the cost of the procedures, despite the short term of their patients' stay, but pressure from the public and the insurance carriers forced them to reconsider. At length, after some clandestine negotiations which would be termed highly illegal (price fixing), the two groups came to an agreement. Gregor was aware of this situation, but chose to look the other way. It was not something he was proud of, but he was certain that "blowing the whistle" on the agreement wouldn't enhance his reputation or his business opportunities. Sooner or later someone would reveal the truth and he and his partner were relieved that they had no part in it, nor could they be charged with not revealing what they believed to be true. Life went on.

Jesse was fascinated with the politics of the situation. Two men had developed a process to aid surgeries, the health of patients, and reduce the cost. Others merely wanted to take advantage of the situation to their own benefit. He could only shake his head at the cold-bloodedness of it all. In Canada, there was little benefit from cheating the system, since the government was the insurer in most cases. Doctors worked to a set fee schedule and that reflected both time and expertise. Gregor said it was a shame that the US had no interest in publicly funded healthcare. Too many vested interests were at stake, including lawyers, he said.

Jesse recalled his thoughts from the previous evening. He wondered if Gregor was the kind of person to whom he could reveal his situation. It was a big gamble, but the more he was around the man, the more he thought it might be worth the risk. First, he would have to broach the idea with Eve, but regardless of her concerns, he might just chance it anyway. He knew he was getting to the point when he couldn't keep this strange new life a secret much longer. He was becoming desperate to have a normal life, even if it wasn't the one he expected to have.

He must have drifted off sitting in the easy chair that morning. He woke to the feeling of something poking his arm.

"Are you awake?" Mica asked, standing beside his chair. He was barefoot, wearing only his pyjamas

"I am now," Jesse yawned. "What time is it?"

"It's eight o'clock. I think I heard Mom getting up."

"Okay. Have you had breakfast yet?"

"Nope. Mom said she was going to make waffles. I love waffles."

"Yeah ... me too. Why don't you have a banana and some juice while you're waiting."

"Okay. Don't go away," he said, trotting off to the kitchen.

"Go away where?" Jesse chuckled.

He looked up and saw Eve coming down the stairs from the loft. She was dressed in jeans and a sweater, looking very fresh. Not for the first time he admired her beauty. She deserved a man in her life and it was a constant wonder to him that there didn't appear to anyone on the horizon. She had everything a mature man would want. She wasn't just a pretty face, but a bright mind and a sense of humour as well. She was nothing like Jesse's original image of a psychiatrist. If he was older, he would be more than interested in her.

"Good morning, Jesse," she said brightly.

"'Mornin' Eve. Looks like it's going to be a nice day. The sun on the golf course looks really pretty."

"Yes, it does," she agreed, looking out the big front window toward the south. "Looks like some cross country skiers have been out there already."

"Do they allow that?" he wondered, seeing the tracks on the fresh snow.

"Yes ... they don't do any harm and it keeps them off the roads and away from other hazards."

"Eve, can I talk to you in private when we get a chance?" he asked carefully.

She looked a bit surprised by the question. "Yes ... of course. Is everything alright?"

"Yes ... everything is alright, but I do have a question for you that would be just between you and me."

"Sure. After breakfast and before everyone gets ready to be on their way?"

"That would be great. Thanks," he smiled. The smile seemed to reassure Eve that there wasn't a problem to be dealt with.

Mica was sitting at the breakfast table, watching the first batch of waffles as they steamed in the waffle iron. He knew that when the steam stopped, the waffles would be ready and he was on top of the list for the first one.

"It's stopped steaming, Mom," he announced.

"Okay," Eve chuckled, knowing just how much her son loved waffles. They didn't make them often, so it was a real treat when she did offer them.

Jesse was just as grateful, as he could recall his mother making them as well, although they weren't the big, thick ones that Eve's machine produced. No matter. They tasted just as good, if not better, so between Mica and him, there wouldn't be any going to waste.

Gregor and Sabina joined them just as Mica was being served, rubbing their hands in anticipation at the breakfast. Eve had fried a half-pound of bacon in her skillet while a fresh batch of coffee was on the go. There wasn't a lot of conversation over the next half hour as their breakfasts were devoured by the hungry five. Mica got his second waffle as requested, and that brought an end to production. It was all he could do to finish it, but he didn't leave a scrap on his plate.

"That was great, Eve," Jesse said. "Thank you. I'm so full I won't have to eat for some time now."

"Oh, I'm sure we can find a way for you to burn off the extra calories," she teased. The plan was for a day of skiing, taking advantage of the bright sunny day. Jesse was thinking of the view he would get from the gondola on their way up the mountain.

"I'll help with the dishes, Eve," Jesse said.

"Thank you, Jesse. Most of them can go in the dishwasher. Just the bowls, the skillet, and waffle plates to do."

Her parents and Mica left them in the kitchen and Jesse thought this was the opportunity to talk to Eve.

"Eve, I was really impressed with your father last night. He's a really smart guy and I wondered afterwards if he wasn't the kind of person that would understand what happened to me. I mean, you would be there to back up what I'd be telling him, so he wouldn't think I was just some goofy kid playing a joke on him."

"Oh ... I didn't expect that. You're right about my father. He is special. He is also very thoughtful. It would be a risk, but I think I can count on him to keep this in confidence. He's going to wonder more about me and he will want to know why I believe you. I'll have to give him the evidence I've collected, but again, I trust him. I trust my mother, as well, but I'll let Dad decide if she should know. When do you want to do this?"

"I don't know. It's Christmas Eve and I don't think I want to spring it on him today. Maybe later. It will be sometime before we have to go back to Vancouver."

"Very well," Eve said after giving it some thought. "It's your decision, Jesse. I'll back you whatever you decide."

"Thank you, Eve. I knew I could count on you," he smiled, unexpectedly hugging her.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:30pm

"Okay, Mica," Eve announced to the excited boy nearly bouncing in his seat. Each person gets one gift, then it's off to bed with you. Understood?"

"Yes, Mom," he said, almost halfway to the tree, having already scouted out the one present he would choose. He didn't know what it was, but it was from his grandparents, and he knew they always thought of something "really cool" to give him.

He tore the wrapping off the large package, and within a couple of seconds gave a whoop of joy.

"Look, Mom ... a helicopter ... and it really flies!" he shouted excitedly.

Jesse saw Eve cringe at the thought of a flying toy, but she didn't give voice to her fears.

"Haven't you forgotten something, Mica?"

The boy looked at her, a wrinkled forehead indicating his confusion.

"Don't you think you should thank Grandma and Grandpa."

"Oh, yeah. Thanks, Grandma and Grandpa. This is really cool. Can you show me how to work it?" he asked his grandfather.

"I think we'll both have to learn how to fly it, Mica. We can do that together. We'll go to the golf course to try it out. That way, if it crashes, there's a foot or more of snow to cushion the blow."

"Oh, great!" Mica beamed. He was already pulling the packaging apart and taking some of the items out. Gregor quickly joined him, making sure nothing got lost in the growing pile of waste packaging.

Eve didn't wait for Mica to pick the next present. She picked a medium sized package out and handed it to Jesse. The label said it was from Santa, but Jesse was sure Santa was a lovely young woman named Eve. He unwrapped it carefully and then opened the box. Inside was a beautiful wool sweater-vest in navy blue, along with a cotton no-iron button down dress shirt in pale blue.

"It's perfect, Eve ... I mean Santa. Thank you. Amazing how Santa knows my favourite colors," he grinned, looking at his guardian.

The rest of the presents were opened before Jesse and Sabina cleaned up the paper waste and put it in the recycling bin. Gregor had made an eggnog mix from scratch, rum to be added later individually. Mica was first in line for a glass before Gregor put the glasses and the punch bowl on a tray and brought it to the great room. Jesse added just a small amount of rum in his glass before sprinkling some nutmeg on the top.

It was that moment that brought another flashback tumbling out of nowhere at him. As he looked at the glass in his hand, watching the spice float on the top of the mixture, he saw his previous Christmases. They were as clear as day and he carefully put his glass down on a coaster and leaned back in the sofa, closing his eyes as he did so.

He didn't faint this time. He might have if he hadn't known what was happening to him. Nonetheless he felt light-headed and at the same time, depressed. There were no tears, but a deepening feeling of sadness flowed over him. Once again, it was the immense sense of loss and loneliness that enveloped him. Would these visitations ever end? At first, it was the nightmares in the early days of his awakening. Now, it was reminders of the familiar, always surrounding pleasant events from his past.

Eve saw Jesse's reaction and correctly guessed what was happening. She put her hand on his arm and squeezed it gently. It seemed to bring the young man out of his moment. His eyes opened and he turned his head toward Eve and smiled sorrowfully. Yes, Eve knew and understood what was happening. Thank God she did. Without her, he would be lost.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 11am

All the presents had been opened and the waste paper and packaging all cleaned up and assigned to either the garbage or the recycling bin. An unexpected "gift" of another kind occurred when Gregor announced he was trading in the Land Cruiser on a new RAV4, another Toyota. He also made sure Jesse knew it was his to use when it wasn't needed in Whistler. The trade-in was already established with a Vancouver dealer and would be completed on Wednesday of the following week.

Jesse felt he was the recipient of an embarrassment of riches. He was being treated like a member of the family, and not just a tenant. It helped dispel the feelings of loss and soothed the remembrance of Christmases past. The Gustafsons would be joining them for the evening meal and Jesse was looking forward to seeing Kirsten again. They hadn't had any opportunity to get together yet, but he was hoping they could ski together on Boxing Day.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 2pm

"Gregor, can I talk to you in private?" Jesse asked as he approached the man. "There's something I want to discuss with you."

Gregor looked at Jesse, curious as to what this might be about. "Yes. Why don't we go into the study and talk there?"

Jesse followed him into the room and closed the door behind him.

"Gregor, I have a secret that I have only revealed to Eve, and no one else. I have not had a memory problem, and my parents did not die in an automobile accident. Somehow, in a way I cannot imagine, I became ill and went into a coma. When I awoke, I was in hospital and that's when this insane new life of mine began.

"You see, when I became ill, it was June, 1961. When I awoke, it was July, 2011, fifty years later. I know ... and you know ... that's impossible. However, it happens to be true. When I began to ask about my parents after I awoke, the hospital couldn't locate them. As far as the administration was concerned, they didn't exist. That's when they contacted Eve. I suppose they were convinced I was delusional. I know she didn't believe me at first, but when she did some searching in the records, she discovered that the Jesse Peterson I insisted I was, had died of some unknown disease in 1961, leaving his parents, sister, and grandparents behind. There is a gravesite in North Vancouver marking the spot, along with my parents, who are now both deceased as well.

"As you can imagine, I can't really tell anyone this story without risking all kinds of problems. I could be put away in some asylum as insane, or in the extreme chance than anyone believed me, I would be taken to some government installation to be studied with no hope of a normal life. I couldn't handle either of those possibilities. But I can't continue trying to keep this secret life from everyone whom I trust and who trust me. It has become a burden that I don't think I can manage. I'm constantly making up excuses for my so-called memory lapses."

As Jesse continued, Gregor had remained silent, but concentration intensely on the young man's story.

"I've tried to catch up with all the events and changes in the past fifty years, but it's impossible. I know that now. If I'm stuck in this 21st Century life, I'm going to have to deal with what I don't know that everyone else takes as common knowledge. Perhaps, as time goes by, I'll adapt. That's what Eve expects to happen ... but I'm not so sure. You are a man of science, so I don't expect you to accept this information just on my say-so. Talk to Eve. She knows I want to share this information with you. I trust you and I trust Eve. The question both of us are dealing with is how do I move forward from here? How do I deal with a past I never had?"

Jesse sat back in his chair and waited silently as Gregor absorbed the information from the last five minutes.

Gregor had a puzzled, thoughtful look about him. Jesse was encouraged that he hadn't just dismissed his story out of hand. In fact, it almost looked like he was trying to come up with a logical explanation. Of course, there was none. At length, he spoke.

"I'll talk to Eve. I admit, I've never heard of anything like this before. In science fiction, of course ... but in this world of reality ... never. I don't know what to say to you, Jesse. I understand your concerns and your doubts. Let me talk to Eve about this and see just what she has learned. I'm not sure I can shed any light on your situation, but if Eve truly believes you are telling her exactly what has happened to you, then that will require some serious thought about what can be done to help you."

coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers