Lions of Parnatha Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My lower lip jutted in a small pout. "And you're going to leave me here by myself. Wonderful."

"You wouldn't enjoy any of this, Lithana," Gaius countered. "Meeting with domos and dignitaries and other military leaders, a false smile plastered to your face all day. It's not something you like to do, or do well for that matter."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I hissed, my hands flying to my hips.

"You're a terrible liar," Gaius quipped, his voice laced with amusement.

"How would you know? Maybe I'm such a good liar, I've led you to believe that I'm awful at it so you'll let down your guard!"

Gaius only laughed and kissed me again, murmuring something about my unending creativity before mounting his horse and trotting through the gate. I watched him leave fondly, still slightly irate that I was being left behind. I would have to be sure and punish him suitably when he arrived home later. Little did I know that I wouldn't get the chance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Grand Forum of Arthos was a bustling hive of activity that afternoon. Gaius found thronging his way through the crowds to be more than a little difficult, and with some luck managed to eventually make his way from the courtyards to the main library. Here he was able to take refuge from the pulsing masses of people as he waited for the later series of meetings he had been summoned to. He busied himself with research and pleasantry, noting several volumes of work that he was certain Lithana would enjoy.

The late afternoon sun began to hang lazily in the sky, and Gaius left the library in search of the Prime Hall. He was talking amicably with his closest compatriot, Aurus Calpernon, when the glint of armor and steely hiss of blades being drawn caught his attention. His hand flying to his own sword pommel, Gaius realized only too late that he was surrounded. The guards that stared him down were all dressed in the crimson of the Forum's regiment. Gaius narrowed his eyes and set his jaw.

"What the fuck's the meaning of this?" Aurus exclaimed, drawing his own sword and taking a position at Gaius' shoulder.

A tall man stepped forward, his expression stoic. "Lieutenant General Gaius Remulus Artigro, you and your house are bound by law. Step down and surrender your arms."

Around them the crowd had stopped, staring in breathless disbelief, and a ripple of whispers and gasps was quickly making its rounds.

Gaius frowned, pursing his lips. His hand did not move from his sword pommel. "This had better be a mistake."

"I assure you, sir, there is no mistake." The squadron's leader stepped closer, lowering his voice. "This is a very grave matter, sir, and an outburst would be most...undesirable. Please, surrender your arms and come with us."

"The fuck we'll surrender our arms you stupid son of a--"

"Aurus, that is enough." There was a finality in Gaius' voice that could brook no argument, and Aurus pursed his lips and snorted. Nodding to the squad leader, Gaius slowly unhooked the clasp to his scabbard and held it outward. "I will not resist this detention, friend."

The tall man sighed in relief, and gave orders to his subordinates. The lieutenant general and his entourage were swiftly relieved of their weapons, and led in a tight formation from the courtyards toward the garrison. As they walked, Gaius caught snippets of conversation and speculation from the crowd. Embarrassment had quickly worked its way to the forefront of his mind, but something more was looming in his thoughts. The squad leader had said that his entire house was bound by law, which meant that, at that moment, there was likely a similar detachment of guards at or very near his estate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ran down the steps of the estate two at a time, not caring if I should fall. A skinned knee would likely have only added to the rage that was coursing through me as I sped toward the front courtyard. Ahead I could see them, the invaders. They were swathed in the crimson of the Forum's own regiment, their polished armor and swords glinting brightly in the sunlight. They had rounded up our guards, and had them all standing in a line, their backs to the estate. Several servants were with them, and all had their hands bound behind their backs. I could see Captain Talos speaking urgently with one of them, his expression one of shocked dismay.

Behind me I could hear Vienes, shouting pleas that I not interrupt, that I return to my chambers and wait for word from Gaius. I ignored her.

Talos and the regimental guard turned toward me as I neared them, and I saw two of them move to apprehend me. Ducking fluidly, I avoided their grasp and grabbed Talos' upper arm.

"Just what in the hell do you think you are doing?!" I screamed, trying to undo the bindings about the Captain's wrists and forearms. "Who are you? Do you even know who's house this is?!"

"My lady Artigro," one of the guardsmen growled, grabbing my shoulder roughly. "We are quite well aware of who's house this is, and you would do best not to interfere with this official arrest."

"Arrest..." My head was swimming as I glanced wildly around. "You must have the appropriate documents then. I demand to see them."

One of the guards took a roll of paper from his belt and handed it to me. I stretched it out and let my eyes devour it, my mouth dropping in shock. "Our entire house is under arrest? How can this be?" I turned viciously on the guardsman who had addressed me. "What is it my husband is accused of doing?! Answer me!"

"The lieutenant general has been implicated in a heinous crime, my lady," came an emotionless reply. "He is bound by law, as are all his hired swords. You and your servants are to be imprisoned within your compound until further notification. A detachment of the regiment will be left to guard your estate, to prevent anyone from trying to enter--"

"Or escape," I spat angrily. "This is a terrible mistake you are making, sir, and you will regret it."

The guardsman shrugged. "That is for the Forum to decide, my lady." Nodding to the rest of his fellows, Captain Talos and the rest of our guards were led away through the gates. Outside I could hear the shouts and whispers of a very large crowd.

Behind me I could hear Vienes approaching cautiously, and I turned to face her. "I don't know what's going on, but I have got to find out," I said, keeping my voice low. "I have got to get out of here."

12