Literotica Authors 07: KennaColrite

Story Info
Interviews with Literotica authors, #7: KennaColrite.
1.8k words
3.87
12.6k
4

Part 7 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 06/08/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I am conducting a series of interviews with authors on Literotica. This is the seventh in the series, with the author KennaColrite. She is a relatively new author on Lit, but has already received quite a bit of attention.

I have reached out to a variety of authors, some of who have been on the site for a while, others who are newer, but all write stories that I admire. I hope you enjoy the series; please feel free to send me your feedback, including suggestions of some of your favorite authors you would like to see interviewed. These are the words of the authors themselves; I have only conducted a light edit for formatting, typos, and consistency.

Is there anything about you and your background, beyond what is in your Literotica profile, that you would like your readers to know about you?

Umm, not really. I'm sure that's a bit disappointing, but the whole shtick on my profile about focusing on the stories and not the writer is my honest belief. Perhaps that could be considered a bit strange or even a cop out, but I'm not here for recognition of self, only for my work.

Do you remember when you first discovered that you liked reading erotic literature? How did this come about?

I remember reading Penthouse and those other trashy "letters" magazines when I was younger. Anyway, something about written erotica always did so much more for me than the visual kind. I've always had a really overactive imagination, so being able to fill in the gaps of these stories with my own fantasies always had a satisfying effect. I've been hooked ever since.

When did you first begin writing your own erotic literature? What prompted you to write your own?

I'm a complete sap, so writing erotica actually came from writing romance. Naturally, any good romance is going to involve sex sooner or later, so I guess there was just a point where it seemed right to start adding erotic scenes into my romance stories. That's not to say that it wasn't completely awkward at first, because it really, really, was, but like writing anything else, I just had to learn to find my own voice. What words I did and did not like using, the kind of tone I wanted to set and stuff like that. I think there are things that I'm still not comfortable writing, but I enjoy challenging myself so I generally try to push through the pain.

You're new to Lit, and have only submitted three stories to date, but each of your stories is more than 15 pages. Tell us a little bit about why you've chosen to write such long, single-submission stories, in comparison to most authors who write shorter stories or multi-submission stories.

I don't know how to write a short story. Honestly, a short story - and I use that term very loosely - is about 60-100 pages to me. I actually wanted to write a series of drabbles involving my preexisting characters, and the first one has already exceeded my "set" page goal by about ten pages and I'm only halfway through. I literally have no idea how to write any shorter of a story than what I've posted here on Lit. On top of that, I hate multi-chaptered stories. Unless I'm reading the entire story in one sitting I tend to lose track of things and it feels like half the time the writer has a hard time keeping things feeling cognitive and flowing. That's not to say anything against writers that do things in this fashion of course, it's merely my own preference. I guess it's also worth saying that I think my readers appreciate getting the whole story in one go instead of waiting for future installments.

Even though you are new to Lit, your three stories have received a lot of attention - many comments, hundreds of favorites, each is rated 4.88 or greater, and you are a finalist for some of the 2016 Lit Readers Choice Awards. What do you think it is about your stories that has attracted so much attention and has made them so successful?

Well, I knew about the favorites and comments, but I had no idea about the Reader's Choice Awards! That's certainly humbling. You know, I really have no idea what makes my stories so popular. When I set out to write a story, I want nothing more than to write something meaningful and interesting to me. Something that will make me feel or think something by the end. Maybe the appeal is the relatable characters and the realness I attempt to inject in each tale. Then again, what do I know?

All three stories are in the Lesbian category. Do you anticipate branching out to other categories, and if so, which ones do you think you will try? Why?

It's worth saying that I stick with lesbian because I like writing stories that I would want to read, and that happens to be my favorite category for erotica. I do like to try new things every now and again though, so I've definitely considered dabbling elsewhere. I've been helping a friend with a male/male story recently and it's had me intrigued to try my hand at that. It's not too much of a stretch for me to consider something in the BDSM category too. I've really been wanting to do something in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category more than anything, though. Even if it was still a girl/girl tale I think it would be a lot of fun to step out of the real world and into the realm of obscurity with my erotica tales.

What is your typical writing style - do you work in shorter bursts, writing a section of a story and then putting it aside and returning to it? Or do you sit down and write a story from beginning to end? Do you work on just one story at a time, or do you work on multiple stories at once?

I usually like to write my stories from beginning to end once I start. If I put a project aside it usually sits and rots without ever seeing the light of day again. Sometimes I work on various projects all at once, but I prefer to focus on just one at a time so I can finish faster. It also helps keep my ideas in a nice line if I only have one story I'm working through.

Most readers read erotica in order to be aroused, and many (hopefully!) are also looking for a good plot. How do you balance the need for plot in your stories with the "hotness" factor necessary to get attention on Literotica?

I almost never think of the erotica I'm going to put into a story when I first start writing. My stories all begin and end with plot - some kind of meaning that drives these characters forward and into each other's arms. Sex without plot is meaningless and boring to me. Once I've begun to understand my characters and their motivations, that's when I start thinking about sex. How these characters would fit together, the things they would be into, the emotional weight the act will have on the plot, etc.

When you're not busy writing your own stories, what are your favorite kinds of stories to read on Literotica, and why?

Mostly lesbian. I love the lady lovin'! Seriously though, authors like ColleenThomas, SweetestThing, and many others are the reason I wanted to post my own stories on Lit in the first place, so I'm always looking through the genre to find authors that can really capture me with their stories. I also enjoy the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category though. There's always interesting and creative scenarios to be found in that genre.

Many readers wonder about the sex lives of the authors they like reading. We all know that most stories on Literotica are fantasy, but do your stories provide a window into your own sexual being that you'd like to share with our readers?

In a way they do, or have at least. I would rather not say any specifics, but there's been a few scenarios in my work that have been inspired by real encounters I've had. I'm sure my sex life is more mundane than my characters, however. That's the fun of erotica though! You get to live out a fantasy that may never happen in real life.

Outside of your erotica, do you do other types of writing, either for work or pleasure?

I do. I hope to be a published novelist someday - hopefully sooner rather than later - which is one of the reasons why I like to keep my personal writing (i.e. erotica) separate from my professional writing. Outside of erotica I write a lot of fantasy, horror, thriller/mystery and pretty much anything else that jumps into my mind. It's one of the reasons why my erotica stories come few and far between, I have a lot on my plate when it comes to writing!

Any specific advice you would give to authors new to writing erotic literature on Lit?

It's alright to feel awkward and embarrassed when you start out. Embrace your fantasies, no matter how crazy and unrealistic they are. Put in the time to develop your characters and plot so there's a real reason for the erotic parts to happen. Beyond that, let loose and have fun! Write what you would want to read, but most importantly just keep writing at all. The only way to get better is to keep writing and reading.

Anything else about you or your writing that you would like our readers to know?

Well, I've finished a story that I really want to get up on the site, as some of my readers already know and keep pestering me about. But it feels like there's something missing from it, so I've been trying to figure that out before I post it. I try my very best to make my stories as good as they possibly can be before I post them, you guys deserve nothing but the best after all! As I said previously I'm also working on a collection of drabbles - essentially shorter stories centered around a single idea. It's mostly an excuse to work with my old characters a little more without going for an unnecessary sequel. Since I get so much mail/comments about more of this couple or that one I'm really curious as to what my readers would like to see specifically, so I'm completely open to suggestions there. Just for a little tease I can say the first one I've been working on is from '...But Your Enemies Closer' about the fantasy Emily had involving Rebecca in a cheer outfit. Expect a little bit of roleplay and light D/s there. I guess all that's left to say besides that is thank you for the opportunity to discuss my work. I really hope that this gave everyone a little bit of insight and enjoyment.

Thank you KennaColrite!