Lonnie's Enterrpise

Story Info
Deceit lies phony names plus theft equals heart ache.
14.8k words
4.37
12k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

by Philip Johnson

Prologue

Fair warning, there is no sex in this work of fiction. It is purely a mystery/romance and I hope that some of you find it good reading.

Akron, Ohio is located about twenty five miles south of Cleveland and is transected by interstates seventy seven and seventy six. The city has a population of something over two hundred thousand souls and is the Summit county seat. At one point it was a heavy industrial center and considered the rubber capitol of the world, but that title has long since been lost. Now it is home to high technology, research and financial companies. It also has a thriving methamphetamine manufacturing presence.

Lonnie and Megan Becker lived on the south east side of town on Garner Drive in a modest but very nice home, less than fifteen miles from his budding research company, and Megan was an interior decorator. They had a good life with Megan working out of their home most of the time as a consultant for local contractors. With the building boom long past, her schedule had become much less hectic and she welcomed the slower pace.

Chapter One

Lonnie was late getting home, but that was nothing unusual. Megan pulled his dinner from the warm oven and he had dinner while she had coffee. "Sorry Lonnie, but I was too hungry to wait."

"That's okay."

"I know your dinner is a little dry, but it was either that or let it get cold."

"I know. I sometimes think it would be easier if I just stopped someplace on the way home, when I have one of these long days."

Be sure you call if that's what you decide."

"I will."

"So what happened?"

"I'm afraid our latest and greatest high tensile plastic formula is about hopeless."

"Your investors won't be happy to hear that."

"No kidding. We won't give up, but we may have to put it on the back burner and move on to something else for awhile. But on the up side, it is extremely strong for a flexible plastic and I think it just may be what Craig Longworth in Seattle is looking for. At leas,t that could cover what we've spent on research for the last six months."

"That should make it easier for your next report to the investors."

I should hear something from Craig in the next week, so here's hoping. If that falls through, I have another shot with Blake Faulkner in San Diego."

"Have you thought anymore about doing the manufacturing yourself?"

I don't think I will, but I may have to work a partnership with somebody else to do it if the other options fail. Or, I'll just sell Craig the formula, I haven't decided, but I do know I want to keep my main focus on the research side though." Lonnie's salary was secure, so at least their personal income was safe, but the failure of their most promising formula was a setback for his company.

It was only two days later when Lonnie called Megan to tell her, "I'll be late tonight, so don't bother with dinner. I'm waiting for a call from San Diego, so I might as well stay here and do some paper work. I'll stop at Monty's later for dinner."

"I hope you don't get home too late."

"I should be home by eight or so."

"Thanks for calling, Honey." His call came a little before seven and as soon as he hung up, he locked his door and headed for dinner. As he was getting out of his car, another one pulled in not far from him and a tall man in jeans got out and followed him to the entrance.

As they waited for the hostess he asked Lonnie, "How's the food here?"

"It's pretty good actually. Nothing fancy, but good and fast."

"Sounds like I picked the right place then."

"You from around here?"

"Not really but I'm thinking of moving here."

"Oh, where from?"

"Down state, Steubenville actually."

"Oh sure, along the river."

"That's the place."

"Nice area as I recall."

"It isn't bad."

The hostess came and Lonnie said, "Join me why don't you."

"Thanks, I'd like that."

Service was fast, just as Lonnie had said and they talked as Lonnie had a scotch and water and Sam had a martini. "I'm Lonnie by the way."

"Nice to meet you Lonnie, I'm Sam."

"So what brings you up from Steubenville?"

"I sold my company and I'm trying to decide what I want to do next."

"What was your company?"

"It was a small one, Lyon Moldings. I made laser cut dies and custom molds for some of the local industries, mostly in the Wheeling area."

"I hope selling was by your choice."

"Oh, it was. I was tough competition for my main rival, so he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse and bought me out."

"Sounds profitable."

"I won't starve any time soon. So what do you do?"

"I have a small research company. Right now we're focusing on some plastics formulas."

Sam raised his glass and offered, "To your success then."

"Thank you."

"So do you eat here all the time, Lonnie?"

"No, I'm married, but when I'm running late I'll eat here and it looks like it will be happening a lot in the coming weeks."

"You must be really busy, so I'll take that as a good sign."

"We'll know in a few weeks."

Sam caught the waitress and got the check and told Lonnie, "On me."

"Thanks, Sam. I hope I'll see you here again so I can return the favor."

"You probably will. I'm looking for a home to buy, so until then I'll be eating a lot of my meals here or someplace like this."

"If I learn of anything interesting for sale, I'll let you know."

"Thanks I'd appreciate that." Sam found the cash register and paid the bill and left.

Friday night was another long day for Lonnie, and just as he had said, Sam was there and waved Lonnie over to his table. Sam's salad had just been delivered, so he waited until Lonnie could be served and they talked over a cocktail again. "Sam, I forgot to ask you, what kind of a house are you looking for and what price range?"

"Oh, something on the south ,or south east side I think, and nothing too expensive. I still don't know what I want to do, so I want to keep it simple."

"Well, I live on the southeast side, so I just might run into something."

"I'd appreciate the help. You said you're married, any kids?"

"No, not yet. I wanted to get my company on a solid footing before I dove into the father role."

"Might not be a bad idea."

"So you're not married then."

"No...well, not now anyway, divorced about two years ago."

"Good thing that happened before you sold your company."

"You can say that again. She tried to go back and get a piece of it, but she failed. She didn't deserve any of it anyway."

Sam showed a crooked smile and admitted, "I do like my money and I'll do what it takes to get it and keep it."

"Today's world demands that kind of thinking."

"Well said, Lonnie."

"Listen, we're having a few friends in tomorrow night, nothing fancy just to visit and share food and drink. Why don't you join us, I think you'll like everybody."

"Thanks, I would like that. Being in a strange town can be a little depressing at first." After writing on it, he handed Sam his card and continued, "Say about six."

"No tie, I hope."

"Hell no, the only requirement is don't come naked."

"I think I can handle that. I hate to desert you but I better get going. I'll see you tomorrow night then."

Sam reached for his bill and Lonnie took it saying, "This one's on me."

"Thanks, Lonnie, see you tomorrow night." Sam left and went in search of a liquor store so he could bring a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold to Lonnie's gathering.

Chapter Two

Sam found Lonnie's house without too much trouble, and was greeted at the door by Megan. "Hi, I'm Sam, I hope Lonnie told you I was coming."

"Hi Sam, I'm Megan, and yes he did. Please come in, I'm so glad you could make it." He handed her the bottle and said, "I noticed that Lonnie likes this. I hope you do too, or I'll have to bring you something special another time."

"No, this is very nice, thank you so much." Sam was introduced to the six other guests seated in the living room, and the group spent the next few hours having a little dinner and a lot of conversation. Miranda, one of Megan's best friends, befriended Sam and they talked for quite awhile. The drinks flowed, and a couple of the guests plus Lonnie were pretty mellow by the time Sam left about eleven o'clock.

It was six days later when Sam and Lonnie had dinner together again. Sam caught him as he was going in, and they were soon having a cocktail and getting caught up. Sam raised his glass to Lonnie and started with, "Nice gathering last week, thanks for inviting me."

"Glad you could make it."

"I take it things are settling down, I haven't seen you here for a while."

"I wish, I was in Seattle and San Diego, and just got back yesterday."

"Good trip?"

"Long, but not too bad I guess. I was hopefully sowing some seeds to success."

"Here's to profits" and they drank to that toast.

"So tell me Sam have you made any business decisions?"

"No, not yet. I was talking to an old friend of mine and we're kicking an idea around, but it's a long way from a planning stage, and I'm meeting with other people from time to time. I'm in no real hurry, I guess. I'm kind of enjoying being able to take my time and enjoy life one step at a time."

"I envy you. By the way I may have a lead on a house that you might be interested in."

"Sounds good."

"Is there a way I can reach you if I need to?"

"Well, I have a card, but all it has is my cell phone number since I don't have a job or a permanent address." He handed one to Lonnie and he put that in his shirt pocket and looked at his watch.

"I better get home to Megan."

"Tell her I said hi, and thank her again for her kind attention."

"I'll do that."

It was the middle of the next week when Sam got a call from Lonnie. "Sam, about that house I was telling you about."

"Yes, is it available?"

"Went on the market today."

"What can you tell me about it?"

"It might be bigger than you want, but it isn't really large. Three bedroom, two and a half bath, about fifteen years old, and in excellent condition. I know the owners and I know they took good care of it."

"Sounds good so far, where is it?"

"Southeast of town. Actually, it's next door to us."

"So that's how you know about it. Would it be the white one?"

"It would be, so you noticed it."

"I did indeed."

Listen, give Megan a call, and she'll take you over. I'm going to be late again tonight. Oh, and I've cleared it with the realtor and our neighbor, and Megan is expecting your call."

"I appreciate all of your efforts, Lonnie."

"My pleasure. It would be great having you as our neighbor."

For Sam, having Lonnie and Megan as his neighbors would work out perfectly, and as he remembered the house it would suit his needs nicely assuming the interior was acceptable.

Megan greeted him with a light embrace, and they shared a social peck on the cheek. Then after talking a minute, she called the neighbor and they went next door. Their neighbor Ellen answered the door, and was cordial as she described what they had done to update the house as the three of them worked their way through the ground floor and then on to the second floor. Sam could find nothing wrong with the house. As they went through the basement, he checked the wiring and the plumbing. He knew the house would suit him nicely, and by the time they were in the living room again, he had said he'd take it without attempting to reduce the amount and wrote her a check for the deposit. Ellen was smiling as she said, "I'll bet that's the fastest a house has sold in a very long time. The movers will be here next week ,so as soon as the paperwork is in order it's yours."

"I'll get with the realtor tomorrow and get that started."

Sam and Megan walked back toward her house and he stopped and said, "As I recall, you're an interior decorator."

"Yes I am."

"I'd like to hire you to furnish the house then."

"All of it? Don't you have furniture to move?"

"I sold it all with my house, linens and all. I just saved a few mementos is all."

"We'll need to sit down and talk about it then, so I can get a feel for your likes and dislikes."

"I'm ready when you are."

"Where are you living now?"

"In a furnished apartment about ten miles from here."

She was still surprised and asked again, "All the furniture? Why?"

"It had my ex wife's energy all over it."

"Bad memories."

"That's it."

"This will be expensive."

"I know. But let's keep it simple, because I still don't know where I'll be in three years or what I'll be doing. If I end up staying there, I'll slowly replace things with better quality...with your help of course."

"Got time for coffee, and our first of several talks about your furniture and my fee?"

"I'm at your disposal." The two of them spent the next couple of hours in Megan's living room as they sipped iced tea and worked on his color choices and what he had in mind for the rooms.

"Sam, what about the third bedroom?"

"That would be my office." They went through the colors for that, and she questioned him about the furniture and his needs and then put her note pad down.

Leaning back she took a drink and told him, "This will take me some time."

"I'm sure it will."

"But you're anxious to move I'm sure."

"Of course, I'll write the check for the house tomorrow, so it just depends on how long it will take to do the paper work."

"Could you come over in a few days?"

"You name the day and time."

"You really are that available?"

"Well, what I have scheduled can be moved around without too much problem, and this is more important at the moment." Sam left before Lonnie got home, so Megan told him about how the house viewing went. "So he just said I'll take it and wrote the check?"

"That's about it and he said he'd pay the realtor for the rest tomorrow. Plus, he paid my fee up front for the decorating."

"Must be nice."

"And yet he wants me to be conservative with what furniture I come up with."

That's why he has money, he's frugal."

"Maybe so."

Megan spent the next few days looking at furniture as she tried to furnish his house and once she had things lined up she called Sam. "Hi. I have some things for you to look at if you have time."

"I'll make time. You thinking today?"

"If that's possible."

"I'm in town right now, so where do you want to meet?"

"Why don't you come here and I'll drive."

"I'll be there in about twenty five minutes."

She heard him pull up and with her briefcase in hand, she met him at the door. She still took a moment to greet him and then they made the rounds of the furniture stores as she pointed out what she had in mind. It was no small task as they walked around, and he tried to remember what she had selected to go with something that they had seen two stores back. They did make progress though and with only a few exceptions, he agreed with what she proposed, and she had alternate suggestions in mind for those areas. They moved on to the bedroom furniture and he went with her second choice there. "Now Sam, you need to choose if you want queen or king and select the mattress."

"Queen, is more than adequate" and he lay on the nearest mattress and got up. "That ones awful. On they went as he tested one after another. "I feel like papa bear. This one's too soft, this one's too hard etc." He tried another one and lay there for a second. "Megan lie next to me would you?"

"What? Why?"

"I want to make sure queen is large enough and I want your opinion on the comfort."

"But I might like something different than you."

"I'd still like your opinion."

"Okay, but if you don't like it, you're stuck with it." She lay next to him and he moved a little and turned on his side to face her.

"Did you feel that?"

"Feel...what?"

"Me moving."

"Oh...that, no it was fine."

"And are you comfortable?"

"I'm very comfortable."

"Me too."

With that he jumped up and announced, "I'll take this one then."

Chapter Three

Except for the mattress, they had put a hold on the other furniture so they could review the choices one more time before he paid for them. "Sam, we still need to get all the linens and a whole list of small details."

"So we have a lot of shopping yet to do."

"I'm afraid so. You didn't even keep things like dishes and silverware?"

"Nope."

"Then we really do have a lot of ground to cover unless you want to get those things yourself."

"I can if you want me to, but I feel better having your input."

"I don't mind, but we better do this again pretty soon."

"Just say the word and we'll go."

"I have to say you're one of the easiest clients I've ever worked with."

"That's because I like your taste and trust you to steer me right."

"Well, I'd never do anything wrong intentionally, but don't hesitate to disagree with me either."

"Oh, I won't. Is Lonnie going to be late again this evening?"

"I'm afraid so. It's happening two or three times a week here lately."

"Everything okay at his office?"

"Oh sure, it's just that he tries to do everything himself, and right now there's more than he can handle in a normal week's work."

"I hope it settles down for him pretty soon."

She laughed and told him, "I think you see him almost as much as I do."

"Okay, do you think Lonnie would object if I were to treat you to dinner? That way neither of us will eat alone."

"I don't think he'd mind, and thank you. Of course that means you won't have dinner with him this time."

"I can't eat there every time or I'll get sick of the place. Besides, if I have to choose between him and his very attractive wife, I have to go with you every time."

"Thank you Sam, that's nice of you. Now when would you like to go shopping again?"

"Let's see this is Wednesday, so...how about Friday morning?"

"That would be fine. Maybe we can get the majority of it done then."

"We can try." Megan selected a small local restaurant named the Clock Tower and they spent the better part of an hour over dinner and coffee as they talked about his house.

Then she asked him, "Dare I ask about your ex wife?"

"I don't mind."

"I take it you had a nasty divorce."

"Actually the divorce itself was rather civil when it came right down to it. It was the months preceding it that were rough."

"Why is that?"

"It was like the more we argued, the more we found to argue about. We never should have gotten married in the first place."

"Were you married long?"

"Just eighteen months."

"That's sad."

"It's sad that it ever happened and it was tough on both of us."

"So no bitter feelings?"

"Oh there are, but in all fairness, I was part of the problem just like she was. I'm just glad it's over."

"Some time ago?"

"About two years now."

"Think you'll ever get married again?"

"Oh, I'm not against the institution of marriage, but I'll go into it more carefully the next time."

"It's amazing what we can see when we look backward."

"Isn't it though. I'd guess that you and Lonnie have a solid relationship based on the fact that he's working so much and you're so understanding about it."

"Don't misunderstand, Sam, I hate it with a passion, but that's just the way it has to be for now I guess." He put his hand across the table and on hers and finished with,

"That proves my point then I think." He took his hand back and emptied his cup and asked her, "Want more coffee, or are you ready to go?"

"I've had enough I think." As Megan drove them home she asked him,

"What do you like to do for fun?"

"It's been quite a while since I've thought about it I guess. First it was the divorce mess, and the less than a year after that, I went into negotiations to sell the business, and even after I sold the business, I was busy tying up loose ends for some time. One thing I used to enjoy was my kitchen. I like to make appetizers or small desserts.....dishes for entertaining mostly."