Love, Unconventionally

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"A couple of loony's that escaped the mental hospital?"

"No," Piper laughed. "It was sweet."

"Knock, Knock," Mom jovially announced as she opened the door with my Father right behind her.

"Your Mother and I have decided that you need to leave the door open when you have a girl in your room," my Dad spoke with such a proud expression adorning his face.

"Yes," Mom concurred, equally as pleased with herself. "And dinner will be done in about a half hour. Piper, I hope you like spaghetti and corn on the cob."

"I do, thank you."

I suppose that means the ribs Dad dropped couldn't be salvaged. "All right, Mom. Thanks."

As Mom and Dad turned the corner, I heard Mom exclaim, "Yes!"

"We did it!" Dad added.

Both exclamations were followed by the sound of a high five echoing in the hall.

I looked to the heavens and shook my head wondering why I was being blessed so?

After not receiving an answer, I sat down on the bed next to Piper.

It was astonishing how much Piper and I had in common... especially our passion in music. At one point, we began quizzing each other on lyrics to our favorite songs which was quickly followed by an impromptu duet.

Is this what it's like to have friends? I have been missing out!

"Dinner's ready!" Mom shouted from down the hall.

Wow... It felt like it had only been two minutes since they left but had indeed been forty five.

*

The evening went well. Despite the odd combination, dinner was good. My parents surprisingly acted normal, even engaging in conversation with Piper without so much as an awkward action or an embarrassing reference to my past; for which I was eternally grateful. The four of us watched a movie afterwards but when Piper laid her head on my shoulder and snuggled up close to me, I couldn't tell you what transpired in the movie. My arm wrapped around her and I couldn't help but to kiss her forehead. I felt a moment of nervousness, but it vanished quickly as she seemed to embrace me tighter.

*

"Okay, Mom, I'll be right back. Just going to take Piper home."

I was trying to get out of the house. I really was. Piper had a curfew, but that had nothing to do with why I was in such a hurry. No... the need for my expeditiousness was found on the faces of my parents. I could see it. It was bubbling from the very depths of their souls. They had it corked and now it was going to pop like champagne.

And I wanted to leave before they became drunk with their excitement.

"Bye, Piper. Drive safe, Son." Dad looked as if every pore of his being was tensed with elation and his smile could have doubled for an elephant's ass.

Mom was equally as bad, with her appearing as if she was sitting on a spring as she waved not only her hand broadly, but her arm as well, "Absolute pleasure to meet you, Piper. You are welcome here any time."

"Thanks again for dinner."

"Let's go," I put my hand to the small of Piper's back and gave her a nudge out the door.

One step off the porch, also known as when the door shut behind me, Piper just stared at me with a bemused look as the exclamations of "Ha, Ha!" and "Wahoo!" resonated from inside the house.

How embarrassing. "They always do that when I leave."

Piper laughed.

"All right - it all stems from my Anatomy class from last year..."

It is odd how you can get a feel for a place without ever having been there before. My home always has the feel of laughter. Maybe that's just because it is familiar to me. I don't know. But pulling up to the Scott's home, I felt something akin to abject dreariness. I didn't understand it. Piper and I were having a grand time singing in tune to the car stereo, but as soon as I pulled into the driveway, I felt the depression in the air.

That did not stop me from being a gentleman and opening the door for Piper and walking her to the front door.

The pale glow of the moon seemed to accentuate Piper's beauty as we stood in the dropping temperature. I'm certain I want to kiss her in the somewhat romantic setting, but suave I am not. What if she doesn't want to? How to broach?

Piper gave me the shiest smile, "You missed earlier."

Piper looked absolutely adorable, but I had no idea to what she was referring. "Missed what?"

"Earlier, when you kissed my forehead."

There went the question of whether she wants to or if I should...

I leaned in.

Piper tilted her head.

Our lips connected.

I can't quite describe what I felt. The softness her lips possessed was delectable; but it was more than that. I didn't just feel the connection our lips provided. I felt warmth in my chest. I felt a sense of being engulf me. I felt electricity course through my veins.

We stared at each other. There was a calm surprise in Piper's eyes as we became lost on her front porch. We both felt it. We both cherished it. We both had no idea what it meant.

"Get in here!"

Piper's Father had opened the door and pulled his daughter inside the house.

I turned to meet the man. To speak, to shake his hand, to do anything, really, but all that greeted me was the front door being slammed in my face. I didn't even get to say good bye to Piper.

"First Gavin and now this kid!" Piper's Father thundered. "Can't you keep your legs shut?"

"I didn't do anything Daddy," Piper started crying. "We just kissed!"

"If your Mother was alive today!"

I heard another door slam from inside the house and then nothing but loud murmurs.

I was unsure of what to do. I raised my hand to knock on the door, but it fell back to my side; not certain of what I could say to whoever answered the door. It became apparent that all I could do is go back home.

*

It was a startling discovery. So much so, that I just stared at the words that riddled Piper's Facebook page. Every post was malicious and accusatory and vile and each one just made me sick. And it wasn't just students from our school. Parents - grown adults – were fueling the rage against the poor girl. Piper appeared to be the bane of existence to the whole city.

And poor Gavin Jones. The outfielder, the star of the city, the ostensible saint – really, did this guy get knighted by a queen? He was a guy that the city poured sympathy to because Piper victimized him in such a treacherous manner.

Surprisingly, because he was always a dick whenever our paths crossed, though I didn't kiss his ass like most other people. I mean, just because he could hit a baseball further than anyone else in the state and had led Hilldale High to a pair of State titles... Perhaps I am judging him too harshly, as I hardly know him, but I feel I do know Piper and I can't imagine her doing anything intentionally to hurt anyone. According to what I'm reading, you would think she maimed the guy.

*

I've never been to the principal's office before. It wasn't at all like I expected; not that I thought it would be like the oval office. Definitely smaller... the furniture is definitely more worn than anticipated... And Principal Larson was definitely sterner than the placated façade she exhibits in the hallway.

"Explain to me, Mr. Green, what transpired between you and Mr. Smith this morning?"

"Well, I suppose you could say I was just trying to make sure his lungs were functioning properly, Ma'am."

Principal Larson seemed to doubt my rationalization.

"Mr. Poole says he saw you punch Eric in the stomach."

"And in doing so, coupled with comparing him with someone not punched – subject B – which was me, I determined his lungs were working perfectly because he was gasping for air afterwards, Ma'am. It's the scientific method. As a science teacher, Mr. Poole should know that."

Principal Larson definitely did not approve of my reasoning for punching that asshole, Eric Smith, in the stomach. Not that I blame her as the truth was simply his mouth pissed me off and I decked him. So I was wrong - and if you're going to be wrong, why not torment the person handing out the punishment you are going to receive anyway?

"You are suspended. Now get out of my school before your mouth gets you expelled."

Or maybe that's why not... I didn't even consider expulsion as an option.

*

Despite being kicked out of school for three days, I still had to stay nearby - I was, after all, Piper's ride home. So I did what every other teenager would do; I went to the popular teenage hangout across the street – The Pizza Shack. Now granted, I had never been there before; I mean, I never had anyone to eat there with so why bother, but there is a first time for everything.

I found a seat in the back and sent Piper the text, "Pizza Shack."

Within moments, her response was as simple as "???"

I sent back, "Tell you later," and settled in to wait the two and a half hours.

I decided a small pepperoni and mushroom pizza was in order to celebrate my first act of delinquency.

The aroma was a wonderful bouquet of tomato, garlic, and basil. My mouth was watering as my waitress served my first slice. Why did I ever eat the cardboard the school cafeteria served when the Motherland of pizza was served right across the street?

"Enjoy," The waitress smiled as she turned for the kitchen.

"Thank you." My eyes briefly followed her before becoming fixated on someone else.

And she was two hours early.

"Are you okay? I got here as soon as I could." Piper rushed to my table and slid in next to me, "What happened?"

I paused; stunned that she was already here. "Nothing that required you to skip the rest of school."

Piper put her hand over mine and offered me a little smirk, "I was worried."

That smirk... Wow... That smirk evoked feelings similar to our moonlight kiss. How can Piper do that with just a look?

Wait? What were we talking about?

I then saw the discoloring on her arm. I brushed over it with my finger.

Piper instinctively knew my question without me asking, "Father was upset."

I looked into her eyes, "He hits you?"

Piper turned her head and stared at the pizza, "He never used to. It didn't happen until..." her voice trailed off, "Never mind."

"Until when?"

Piper returned my gaze and I saw the fear in her eyes. She gnawed at her lower lip.

I smiled, "Never mind, then." My expression became serious. "But I'm not okay with this," and I brushed her arm again.

"No," Piper clutched at my arm. "You should know."

The seriousness she gave off was intense. I blinked twice before I gave a slight smile of my own. "And I'm sure you'll tell me when the time is right; now as for your question - Eric Smith is an asshole. On my way to third period, he cornered me in the hallway. He kept saying... Well, it doesn't matter what he said, but he was being persistent, derogatory, and just plain rude so I gut punched him." I shrugged my shoulders, "And now I'm suspended for three days."

"The things he said were about me, weren't they?"

Piper appeared so disheartened, I looked away as I barely spoke, "Yes."

Piper tensed up before it all came out in a flurry of tears, "I'm so sorry. I didn't want this for you." Her body started shaking as she buried her head in her hands.

I wrapped my arm around Piper and pulled her into me. "Listen, I don't care about those idiots at our school. It'll be all right."

Piper glanced up at me with the most pathetic countenance. "No, it won't."

I smiled, "Of course it will."

Piper shook her head, "Oliver, there is something I've been meaning to tell you, but I'm not sure how."

I wrapped my other arm around her and embraced her fully. "You can tell me anything. I'm here."

"Oliver, I'm... I'm... I'm pregnant." Piper's crying turned into a sob as she buried her head into my chest.

I had no idea what to say. I had no idea what to do. A myriad of thoughts flooded my mind. I feel we have something going, but am I just being her replacement father for her child? What about my future? College? Am I supposed to run out and get a job and take care of my girl and someone else's kid? Or am I supposed to just run out on her? Leave her alone and in despair with no one, not even her parent for support? She said that he wasn't thrilled with her and the way he reacted and is treating her... She really is isolated.

It came down to one basic thought, really. I liked Piper. A lot. And I knew I didn't want to... No; I knew I couldn't just leave her. I was still confused about what this news meant regarding me, but I knew she needed me right now and I wanted to be there for her.

I squeezed her tighter, "I'm still here."

Piper's body seemed to quake as she looked at me wide eyed and in disbelief. "Um..."

I smiled, "I'm still here."

Piper's tension released and she relaxed as she melted into me. I encouraged her to take all the time she needed by not speaking... by not moving. I just held her in my arms. There was a long drawn out pause before she finally began to speak. Her speech was slightly muffled through the fabric of my shirt, but I heard every word.

"I had a crush on Gavin for a long time and when he asked me out, it was like a dream come true. But the dream ended there. The entire night he was talking down to me and groping me and when I told him I wasn't ready, he slapped me. It hurt. And then he told me to get out of his car. We were miles from home and some part of me still wanted him, so I hesitated. He took that opportunity to move on top of me and told me the next one would hurt a lot worse. So I opened my legs a little and he did the rest." Piper sniffled in remembrance, "And when we were done, he was done with me. He took me home and that was it. The next day I asked him if we were going to go out again and he laughed at me. In front of everyone. I was so ashamed."

"I'm sorry Piper."

Piper sat up, but still was immersed into my side, "That's not the worst of it. After I found out I was pregnant, everyone turned on me. My friends, my teachers, random people I've never seen before in my life... They all just assumed I tried "hitching my wagon" to Gavin's star. It was all my fault. And my Dad was just so angry with me. Still is. He hates me for what "I did" with Gavin. He doesn't even speak to me anymore and is kicking me out as soon as I graduate. I have two months and I don't know what to do. I'm so scared."

I had no answers. All I could offer was comfort. And I gave that to her in spades. I held her tight. My shirt was soaked, but I didn't complain. Both of my hands were rubbing her gently.

Piper used a napkin to blow her nose. "Thank you, Oliver." She leaned in and briefly kissed me on the lips. "You really are the greatest."

*

"Congratulations, Mom and Dad! It's a girl!"

The ultrasound technician, Bonnie, beamed her smile with such a sense of pride at the exclamation that neither I nor Piper chose to state the truth. Besides, Piper's smile was wider than the Grand Canyon as she looked at the residual black and white of the being inside her.

It was an odd moment for me when Piper asked me to accompany her to her obstetrician for her ultra sound. I couldn't say no – not to her, but still, what exactly was an ultrasound? What would I be required to do? My answers came quickly enough. My job, apparently, was as simple as holding Piper's hand while watching Bonnie put that gunk - which resembled something from a jellyfish (just imagine the operating table: scalpel, forceps, jellyfish for pumping) and it made Piper shiver before she placed an electric razor on her stomach. Hey, I'm not a doctor nor do I pretend to be...

My job also entailed not correcting Bonnie that I was not the father. What did it matter in the grand scheme of things anyway? It was a long story and besides, I was here for Piper.

"It's a girl," Piper half giggled as she squeezed my hand.

"And she appears to be in good position in the uterus... Oh, and right there, that's her hand," Bonnie pointed to the image of the little ball that I thought was an alien coming from the baby's stomach. She then turned to us, "Everything appears to be normal."

*

My life then felt like a 1980's movie montage.

Piper and I did everything together. Time seemed to fly by. We studied. We sang. We went on dates. We had fun. We made out. Everything and nothing existed. It was by far the greatest time in my high school existence, but it was more than that. I thought our relationship was strictly based on the premise that we were two outcasts sharing our time together because we had no one else, but as time raged forward, I began to feel something when we were together. I had known I liked her, more than anyone else in the world, but this was different. I wasn't quite sure what it was, but I felt lighter. I felt I like I could run through a brick wall – and if she would have asked, I would have. Battle terrorists? No problem. Bottle the moon up and give it to her as perfume? I'm on it. Bench press a house? Consider it done. All that was needed was her to say the word.

And it wasn't just me. I felt like I was the center of her universe. I didn't have to ask. She would make food for me because she thought I might be hungry. Or like when we saw a commercial for a movie that just came out and I said, "That looks funny." Nothing more. But where were we ten minutes later? In line getting popcorn for said movie. She had even left a multi glittered poster board on my doorstep that proclaimed she misses me. She genuinely wanted to do things for me.

The problem lied when we were apart. It felt like every time I left Piper, I awoke from a dream and entered reality - and I really missed that dream. Piper was pregnant. That inescapable truth haunted me. Somehow, it didn't bother me when we were together, despite that her stomach was starting to grow. At home, however, it preyed on my conscience. I had no idea of what to do. Should I distance myself from her? Should I embrace her? What about my future? I had discarded those questions when I first found out about the baby; it had seemed to be so far away, but time was demanding its answers. Why couldn't I have met Piper before? I went back and forth between my yearning to be with her and my despair due to the situation.

*

"You want to talk about it?"

It was a question I had heard from my parents often this past six weeks. Despite my best efforts to smile or laugh in front of them, my façade was immediately discarded by their intuitive nature and I was asked that same question. My response was the same, "I'm fine." Their replies ranged from "We're here if you need us," "No matter what, we won't judge," and my personal favorites, "Give 'em hell" and "Kick ass." My parents were always unified in their thinking when it came to me and right now was no exception. My Mom was setting the table for dinner as she asked and my Dad looked over the top of the newspaper pretending not to listen but really listening intently.

I didn't even tear my eyes from my history book, "I'll be fine."

Mom put her hand on my shoulder and glanced at my Father.

Dad turned the page of the newspaper before glancing at me. "Those bruises on Piper aren't from you, are they?"

"What?" I exasperated and then began to ramble, "No... I would never... I could never... It's her father... He's just mad at her being pregnant... I wouldn't dare hit a girl... I couldn't possibly..." I stopped when I saw my parent's faces of absolute disbelief. "What?"

"Back up just a moment." Dad had already set the newspaper down and was now leaning toward me, the most determined look in his eye.

Mom was no better as she had taken a step back so she was in front of me. "Yes, Oliver. Please repeat that."

What the hell did I say? "Uh, I wouldn't dare hit a girl?"

"Pretty sure it was before that," Mom cocked her head.

Dad folded his arms, "Did you say Piper was pregnant?"

Oops. "Um, yeah," I ran a hand through my hair.

My parents looked at each other seemingly speaking to each other through telepathy. I then suddenly realized what they thought as if I just overheard their unspoken conversation. "Oh no!" I put my hands up defensively, "It's not mine, I swear."