Lovers' Oath Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It may not mean anything at all, Ro. It was probably just a coincidence." Even without turning his head he could almost see the rapid shaking of Rohan's head.

"Ki, out of thousands of blades and firearms, she chose those blades that generally repulse people. Those daggers inspire hate and fear in others' hearts, but she was caressing those blades. And you haven't heard all of it yet."

Kiel froze in place. Did he dare hear him? He slowly turned his eyes to Rohan, "The Bloody Pearls marked her?" his question was whispered. He didn't dare to hope the answer to be affirmative. One part of him, the selfish part, almost wished it wasn't. Even as Rohan's nod confirmed his query, his heart throbbed with pain. 'It had to be her, didn't it?' he thought bitterly, his face impassive as ever. He nodded slightly. Looking back to the screen, he said in an unaffected tone, "It still doesn't mean anything. The Bloody Pearls have marked people before, too. She is yet to go through the tests. Even with the Pearls' marking, The Dragon may not choose her." Looking back at Rohan's face contorted with suppressed irritation and disbelief, he said, "We proceed with her training as planned. There will be no changes."

With only a short nod as his reply, Rohan turned to leave, only to be stopped when Kiel called from behind him, "Rohan, if there is a problem, you can tell me."

Turning around Rohan shot back with barely suppressed anger, "I think we should tell her but for your 'higher purpose' I have to keep mum and act as if everything is normal. That is the problem here Kiel. I don't like lying to her."

"It doesn't matter what you like, Rohan. Her training proceeds as planned. This discussion is over."

"How is this discussion over Kiel, when the key person to this debate is unaware of this debate even existing?"

"Because I say so, Rohan. Do not forget, I am the Alpha." Kiel's eyes flashed in anger, and in frustration, yet his voice remaining as calm as ever, "Training proceeds as planned."

Taking a mock bow, Rohan growled, "Of course, M'Lord." then turning around, he stalked off.

Turning back to the monitor, Kiel stared unseeingly at the readings and various data and video feeds streaming in, announcing the success of the mission. His fingers danced across the keyboard, bringing up the profile for Rayn. As several of her photographs flashed on the screen, presenting data regarding her birth and her life, the field named DOB caught his attention. It read, "Unknown; Adopted." even as he tried to bring up more data regarding her birth, or biological parents and the adoption agency, the only reply he got was "Information not available." with a frustrated sigh, he turned towards the window, searching the floor below for a sign of the girl. Unable to locate her, he turned towards the monitor again. This time, bringing up a beautiful picture of her to adorn the full screen, his fingers slowly trailed across her cheeks.

"Why you? Why?" He whispered. As his brain worked in overdrive to figure out the puzzle, he laid his palm on the screen that showed a bare expanse of her shoulders. "How?" he frowned. Then he recalled something. The mark. The mark above her right breast. Even as his eyes searched for the mark in the pictures, he realized that they had never seen that mark in any of her photos that revealed that part of her skin. With a jolt of realization, he remembered his dreams. He had never seen her mark in his dreams, either. "How the hell is this possible?"

There was only one reason why this should happen. "It's the Magic of the mark." and if that was true, he had some idea of who would be able to trace back it's origin to its conception, consequently answering his questions about Rayn. And despite the prospect of knowing the answers, the idea didn't seem welcome to him. "Orpheus." He almost spat out. Shaking his head, he dismissed the idea. He'd never allow that man to lay eyes on her. Lowering his eyes to the hall below, he found her. She was at the communications unit, leaning towards a monitor, reading the data it presented with rapt attention. Even as he watched her interact with others and at times flashing a smile at them, his resolve wavered. What if involving Orpheus meant a safer life for her? A life at least safer than the one he was offering her? Couldn't he do that much for her? Shouldn't he?

He closed his eyes. Blocking all images out except for the one of her smiling face. "It can wait." he whispered. Opening his eyes, he searched her out. It has to wait. "Not ready to let you go yet, Angel." As if hearing him, her eyes again traveled up towards the darkened window, a sweet smile lingering on her face, drawing out a little of the joy and pleasure he hadn't felt for so long. And yet, he wasn't sure what was the right thing to do.

*****

-----------------------------------------

Yes, yes I know that the time gap was too long. And that's why, a huge thanks to all my readers who keep checking back for the chapters and hang on to the story, and of course to my new readers as well. I hope you are still liking it as much as you did the previous chapters. Let me know through your votes and comments. Lots and lots of them. Thank You everyone. And 5th chapter is already underconstruction.

----------------------------------------