Luna's Angel Ch. 17-21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When I was done, I flew back to the Pack and landed in front of the Pack House. The Alpha was standing out front, Jessi was sitting on the grass in front of him, crying her eyes out. "Her family is taking her?" I asked.

"She doesn't have any. I'm trying to find a foster family, so far no one has volunteered."

She looked up at him, her face falling before she started crying even harder. I picked her up and pulled her into a hug, she clung to my neck, her little legs wrapping around my chest. She trusted me, and something shifted inside as my wolf claimed her. "I will." Pushing my wings out, I took off and headed home.

Ch 19

Jessi cried in my arms for a few minutes, until the newness of flying overcame her grief and she started to look around. She shifted in my arms so she could see over my shoulder as I held her to my chest and stomach, her legs wrapped around my back. "Pretty..." She was looking at the sun setting behind us.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to flying," I told her. "It's just so different than being a wolf." I smelled her, she had a strong werewolf scent but was still young. "Are you looking forward to your first shift, Jessi?"

"No, it hurts." She gave a little hiccup and I could feel she was holding back tears. "I watched my friend's oldest brother, it hurt him. I just want to be a wolf like Momma without the owie. Momma let me ride on her back sometimes."

"It's all right to miss your momma, I'm sure she misses you." She started to cry a little more, her face burying into my arm. "You remember in front of the Alpha, how I told him I would take you into my family?" She nodded, not looking up. "I meant it. I always wanted a daughter, my mate, she and I can't have children. You'll meet Wendy, she is going to love you. She won't replace your Mom, but she will make a place for you in her heart just like you will for her. You'll see your new Grandmother too, Stephanie is actually her aunt but is filling that spot for her too."

"We'll be safe?"

"Yes. No one will mess with us. You know how strong I am, well, your new mom and grandma are strong as well. And they will love you. Right now they are setting up your room for you- it's upstairs and has a big window looking into the woods by our house."

We talked for a few more minutes, but her energy was fading fast. Soon she slept in my arms as I continued to fly home. She didn't wake, even when I landed in the yard. Wendy ran over to me, and I handed her our new daughter; she placed her head on her shoulder, her body draped down her front and her legs hanging free. "Oh, Nathan, she's just as precious as you said she was," my mate gushed as we walked to the house.

Stephanie opened the door, smiling widely as we walked into the cabin. I followed my mate as she went up the stairs to the loft bedrooms, turning left to go to the room that was to be our daughter's. I moved ahead, turning down the bedding while she laid her down. She removed her shoes, then shooed my out as she grabbed a T-shirt to change her into. "I'm staying with her," she linked, "I don't want her to wake up alone."

"I'll be downstairs." I walked back down, Stephanie was pouring herself a cup of coffee and motioned for the door to the deck. I followed her out and sat down in the chair as she took the other. "How is she doing in her training?"

"Better every day, but you don't really want to talk about that, do you."

I blushed a little. "That obvious?" I reached out over the link, Wendy was already asleep, her wolf was keeping guard over their child now.

She nodded. "Tell me about her." I told her of how I had first met her, the abusive boyfriend, her prayer to help protect her calling me in. She was gripping the arms of the chair, her fingers going white when I described finding them the second time. Hearing his ending helped a little, but she was shaking with anger when I was done. "That poor child."

"And you and I both know that there were far more times he beat her mom than those two."

"Do you think he ever... I mean, you didn't see on her...was she?"

Anger flashed in my eyes. "I didn't ask, but I will." I was starting to regret not doing more with the Pack leadership. They weren't evil, but they were weak. The Alpha should have put an end to the abuse before it got that far, or at least as soon as I visited the first time. "These Alphas... even the ones I didn't kill, so many are just not doing their job."

"Do you regret doing what you did?"

I thought about it for a moment. "With her, yeah, I should have killed that guy the first time. I should have done more to make sure the Pack leadership was good, it's just that I don't know how to do much except... except kill." I put my hands on the sides of my head. "Luna made sure I knew how to fight, but not how to govern. I'm not an Alpha, I'm a warrior. Once the killing is done I'm lost, and I'm not old enough to know how to handle it all. I'm still just an 18-year-old apprentice warrior with mad fighting skills and wings."

She put her hand on my knee. "Sometimes we are given gifts we aren't ready for, we have to grow into them. Do you think Wendy was ready for all the magical power she unlocked?" I looked across at her as she snorted. "No, she was wielding her power like you are yours- without understanding. Don't beat yourself up, you weren't prepared for more than what you did."

"Why did Luna choose me then? Why not choose an Alpha, someone with experience? I mean, someone more READY to become her representative here on Earth."

Stephanie didn't feed into my pity party. "Why does your father start training warriors at sixteen? Why not wait until they are older?"

"Well, since they have just shifted, they don't have any bad habits yet. He can train us up the right way from the start."

"There's your answer. Luna could have chosen someone older, but older people have habits, prejudices, and history. She chose you for your heart, not your wisdom. Wisdom will come, Nathan. You get it by learning from what you have done."

I needed time to think. "Can you make sure they are all right? I need to fly around a bit, clear my head."

"Of course. Take your time."

I pushed my wings out and flew away into the dark night; looking back, I saw her going back inside the house before I looked through the window; my mate and daughter were asleep together still. I pushed higher, heading west without really thinking about why. My mind kept going over what had happened in the last few months, and what I should do different. Taking out the evil ones was not a mistake, but I needed to be more selective in who I killed. They were right, I'd killed many who were good wolves stuck with bad leaders and had no choice in the matter.

I started to think about what was important. My family had to come first, I would do anything for Wendy and Jessi. Next was my family, including my parents since they now had my old Pack, and allied Packs like the Silver Moon that I had pledged to defend. After that? It wasn't the other Alphas, Luna had put me here to bring justice. Justice for the ones suffering, ones like Jessi.

I looked in my mind, seeking out the prayers to Luna I could listen in on, and was shocked to see how little there was. When I had first started this, there were thousands of little dots signifying prayers. Now? Maybe a hundred. I started to listen in, starting with the brightest dots that signified the most fervent prayers.

I almost stopped flying when I heard a young girl's prayer. "Luna, send your Angel away. He killed my daddy. We don't want him anymore."

I could tell she wasn't far away, and I needed to face the music. I turned and a few minutes later, I was circling over a house, a girl of about ten was sitting in a chair in back, crying. I landed just out of sight and walked around the house until she saw me.

She let out a scream.

"It's all right, little one, I'm not going to hurt you." I didn't move towards her, she was backing into the corner of her chair frightened. A light came on inside and her mother came out, baseball bat in hand. "Please, ma'am, I'm not here to harm either of you. I just want to talk."

"Talk? With the man who killed my mate? Why would I want to talk to YOU?" She was shaking in fury.

I held my hands up, motioning for her to sit down. She moved to stand next to her daughter instead. "Look, I've made mistakes. I've killed many men, in many Packs. Please, tell me about your mate." She did, and they started crying and I cried with them. She brought out a photo of him, and I remembered him. He was one of the warriors the Alpha sent out to keep me from getting to him. "He fought for his Alpha with honor, and I'm very sorry for your loss. Who is your Alpha now?"

She looked down. "There is no Alpha. All the senior leaders are gone, no one has stepped up."

"Did any of the surrounding Packs step up?"

She snorted. "They were more than happy to take over the territory, but none of them want us. They don't trust our Pack, and with my mate gone, who wants to take on a single mom and her young daughter? A few people found spots, but most of us are on the way to being made rogue- and then they'll force us off their territory."

I just shook my head. Luna loved all her people, this wasn't the kind of structure she envisioned when she made Packs and Alphas. The Alphas were supposed to protect the most vulnerable, not toss them aside. "That cannot stand." I stood up and looked directly into her eyes. "I don't know what I'm going to do, but I know Luna sent me here to deliver justice, and that is not what you and your Pack are receiving. I need to talk with some people, and I'll check back in a week, all right?" Both nodded. "Luna loves both of you, and we have heard your prayer. Keep the faith." With that, I turned and flew off again.

I kept going through the prayers as I flew home, finding more and more like this from wolves who had lost leadership, Pack or both. I needed to talk with my father. What I REALLY wanted to do was to fly to the Alpha Conference and smack some sense into them.

I landed in the back yard and brought my wings in, as Stephanie smiled at me from her chair. "They're still asleep," she said as I walked up.

"Thank you. Thank you for being here for them."

I put my hand on her shoulder and she patted it with her own. "I'm happy to help. She... I thought she was lost, but now I get to be here for her. She's so much like my sister." She started to cry a little. "She's already more powerful than me, so much potential. Having her wolf makes her even stronger, gives her a faster recovery. She's learning not to wear herself out again by fighting the magic, but to control and shape it instead. Now we just have to get others to accept her."

I snorted. "Good luck with that, on both sides. I've heard what they call her, an abomination, and I know how most of the Packs feel about her. If I let her leave here, she's always going to be in danger. Unlike me, she's not immortal."

"Come on, I'm going to get some sleep. You go see your family." I followed her through the door and as she went into the upstairs guest bedroom, I went to my daughter's room. Opening the door, I could see they were both asleep on her full-size bed. Unlike our California King, there was no room for me here.

I went back to my office and thought about what was next. Going to the computer, I sent a note to my mother telling her about Jessi and asking for their help in getting the basics for her. I also sent a note to her old Alpha, asking that he ship her stuff and her mother's personal effects to her, the remaining items could be distributed as he saw fit. Finally, I sent a note to my father and Alpha Christopher with a recap of what I had found last night, asking that they ensure the Alphas come to decisions on the leaderless Packs.

I was just finishing up when I heard a creak on the stairs. Looking out through the open door, I could see Jessi standing there looking around, a confused look on her face. "Come here, Jessi. It's all right, this is your new home." She came down a few more steps and I held my arms out, she reached for me and I lifted her to my hip. I showed her the rooms downstairs, then knowing she must be hungry, I started breakfast.

"Who was that in the bed?"

"That is my mate, Wendy. She will be your new Mommy, just like I am your Daddy."

She looked a little confused. "I didn't have a Daddy before. You won't beat her like he used to beat Mom, will you?"

I shook my head, I wished I could kill him again. "That's not what a mate is. I love Wendy with all my heart, she's the most important thing in my life. So are you. I would do anything to keep you safe and make you happy. That is what a mate is supposed to do."

I was just plating up her eggs and bacon when I saw Wendy coming down. "Morning baby, how did you sleep?"

She smiled as she came around and sat next to Jessi. "Good, although there was a wiggly little worm in my bed." She tapped Jessi's nose and they both laughed. "Hello, Jessi. I'm so happy I can be your mommy now."

"You're snuggly," Jessi said. "I like you."

"I love you too, little one." I plated up Wendy's breakfast as we got to know each other. I loved the family I now had, and if I had nothing else, with this I could be happy.

Ch 20

Author's Note: Since he was not invited, this chapter will be from his father's (Alpha Nicholas White of the Blood Moon Pack) perspective.

I left my hotel room, already pulling at the neck of the business suit I had to wear in the Chicago airport hotel. I hated this thing almost as much as my wolf did; he wanted to pee on it and go naked instead. It would have been more comfortable.

"Ready for this, Christopher?" Alpha Christopher of the neighboring Silver Moon Pack was coming out of his adjoining room. He looked like he hadn't slept well, probably missing his mate. We were treating this as hostile territory since there were so many Alphas allied against us. The welcoming reception last night had been downright frosty. You could tell by who was around who were the lines were drawn.

Honestly, there was a good chance this was all a monumental waste of time. Worse, it could be a diversion. I had left my Beta in charge of defense and my mate in charge of the Pack, and we were on lockdown. All Pack members were in or near the Pack House with its safe room, and patrols had been doubled. We even had security wolves with metal detectors at the entrance to the meeting room.

"I hope we can make some decisions," he said. The problem with putting so many dominant personalities in one room was that everyone thought they should be boss. "Hell, we may spend the first day just figuring out who is running the meeting."

I laughed, but he was partly right. It took until lunch to make a decision that should have taken five minutes. Alpha Renauld Montgomery of Newfoundland, Canada was finally elected on the twenty-second ballot. He was one of the oldest and most respected Alphas, but the younger and more modern Alphas kept trying to keep him out.

There were a number of things we needed to talk about, but Chair Renauld focused on the simplest one first- what to do with the decimated Packs and their land. Previously, Packs were taken over in wars and the winner took the land and the people. The problem was that my son, now known as Luna's Angel, was not part of a Pack and held no territory. He was a killing machine, cutting through Packs and their leaders like a knife through butter. Territorial fights were already starting over the voids left over, and the violence threatened to expose us all, as he explained it.

"Why can't the strongest neighboring Pack just take the territory? That's how its always been done," Alpha Lawrence argued from the back.

"How do you determine that? War?"

"Then just divide it up among the surrounding Packs."

I stood and stared him down. "There's more to it than land," I said. "These people may have a complete Pack structure, missing only leadership. Why should they lose their Pack and their territory for the want of a few leaders? Surely we can find second or third sons of Alphas and Betas who could fill the void and keep the Pack from being lost to history."

"Some of these Packs have lost all their fighters, all their leadership," Alpha Conwell said. "Their whole lives, they have been indoctrinated into ways that sin against our Goddess. Frankly, they aren't suitable to be absorbed into a Pack, and if they became a Pack I would attack them and wipe them out before they could cause trouble."

"You would wipe out women and children over the failures of their leadership?" I looked around the room in horror. "Let's cut to the chase." I went over to the board and listed four options.

  1. Appoint new leadership to the Packs from volunteer sons of Alphas and Betas.

  2. Neighboring Pack takes territory AND all Pack members into their pack.

  3. Divide territory among neighboring Packs, and same Packs absorb all Pack members

  4. Take over or divide territory, absorb those you want, make the remainder Packless.

Looking around the room, I asked each Alpha to write down their choice on the paper provided, fold it and turn it in.

I was hoping #1 or #2 would win easily, but when the votes were tallied, #4 had 42% of the vote and #2 was in last place. Three ballots later, the choice was made. I could almost cry; hundreds of innocents were going to become Packless, tossed off their territories and forced to live at the edges of Werewolf society, because these people didn't think they had value since they weren't warriors. "Bastards are probably licking their chops at all the properties they'll be able to take over when they kick the widows and children out," I said.

The decision made, the room divided up around the maps posted in each corner so the regional Alphas could work it out. There wasn't much in our area, so I went to the Rocky Mountain/Pacific Northwest region where my son had been VERY active. The choice territories were snapped up, but the last territory he attacked, the place the evil Alphas made their stand on the Olympic Peninsula, was surrounded by water on three sides and unclaimed land on the fourth. I took a Post-It, wrote Angel Pack on it, and placed it on the territory.

"What are you doing," Alpha Killian said. "Your Pack isn't even in this region, and that Pack doesn't exist!"

"I don't recall the rules saying anything about whether a Pack currently exists for it to take over the territory," I said. "It just said you had to take it over completely or divide it. Not only is the Angel Pack taking it over, but it will be absorbing all remaining members, AND it will take any members in your new territories you do not want. In fact," I said raising my voice so everyone in the room heard it, "The Angel Pack will take ALL Pack members you don't accept into your Pack, or refuse to join you."

The noise level went through the roof as the assembled Alphas all tried to yell at me at once. Chair Renauld banged his gavel repeatedly, glaring at the assembled Alphas with fury until they submitted and sat down. When it was silent, he looked at me. "Alpha White, that is a radical proposal. How exactly are you going to maintain a single Pack with so many two time zones away?"

"Simple," I said. "I'm going to get leadership established in each location, then I'll break off the Angel Pack under the Alphaship of my son Nathan."

"And this Nathan, he's strong enough to run a Pack, to defend it when it's made mostly of women, children and Omegas?" Alpha Fitzpatrick sneered. "No man can run a Pack with that makeup, much less defend his territory and his people."

I just laughed at him until he sat down. "Oh, you don't know my son. My son Nathan..." I looked around the room before grinning, "Nathan, the Luna's Angel."