Maia Laaning Ch. 15

Story Info
After the tennis tournament Maia visits her uncle's family.
7.1k words
5
980
1
0

Part 15 of the 26 part series

Updated 05/06/2024
Created 06/01/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maia had arranged with her high school to take time off in March to allow her to participate in the two tennis tournaments in America. Since she was an excellent student, not to mention the daughter of the Prime Minister of Estonia, the school acquiesced without any protest to Maia's request. They went so far as to get her teachers to assign some essential school work and assignments, which she could complete in her spare time so that she would not be behind in her classes once she returned to the school.

Since her return was uncertain, depending on how she would fare in these tournaments, especially the Miami tournament, the school allowed her absence to extend to the Monday after the completion of the last full week in March. Consequently, when Maia did lose that first qualifying match in Miami, she had two full weeks still left on her leave of absence from her school.

Since her actual results in both tournaments were distinct possibilities, Maia had before she left Estonia, contacted both her uncle Paul in Wisconsin and her aunt Erica in Chicago. She had advised them of her intention to play in the two tournaments in America. She further indicated that pending how she would fare in the tournament in Miami that she would likely be able to visit them while in America, before she would have to return to Tallinn.

Consequently, on that Sunday, after she her had lost her qualifying match in Miami, and before she went out for dinner with Toomas Tamala, she booked her flight to Madison, WI for the following day. She contacted her uncle and advised him of her arrival time to visit him and his family for four days. She then intended to visit her aunt in Chicago for about five days before returning to her home in Estonia.

Her cousin, Paul Laaning Jr was there to pick Maia up at the Madison airport to take her back to the family farm. Paul Jr was thirteen years older than Maia and was married with two children of his own. Like his father he had an older son, at eight years old, and a younger daughter of six years old. The son was named Paul Laaning III.

Since the three males in the family: grandfather, son and grandson all had the same first name, and they all resided in the same household, the family got into the habit of distinguishing them in a unique mundane way. Maia's uncle, the grandfather, was known as, or was designated as "Big Paul". Maia's cousin, the son, was called, or designated as "Little Paul". He preferred to be called 'Junior" but only his wife called him that. The grandson then was referred to by the diminutive as "Paulie". That family reference stuck with him, so that he was known as, "Paulie" by others even though his birth certificate and other official identification documents listed his name as Paul Laaning III.

Vivian had taken Maia with her on the semi annual trips in May and November to visit their American relatives commencing when Maia was still nursing and had not reached one years of age. To avoid conflict with school attendance, once Maia started high school, she no longer accompanied her mother during the November visits. Once Maia started her primary education the May visits were changed to the beginning of July, allowing Vivian and Maia to take in the American Independence Day celebrations.

Maia's maternal grandparents had retired to Arizona before Maia was born, but they came in November to the family farm to participate in the Thanksgiving holiday celebrations. Once Maia started to come only on the July visits, her grandparents did come to the family farm, in July in addition to the November visit, so as not to miss seeing their Estonian grandchild.

For Maia, at first the visits were rather troublesome and boring since her Uncle Paul, Aunt Erica and grandpa Toomas were the only American relatives who could speak Estonian. Once Maia started attending school, she was exposed to learning English. Realizing that these visits to America would be more enjoyable and for that matter more bearable if she became conversant in English, Maia on her own initiative took online courses to learn to speak English. Plus, she also bought DVDs of various movies and television shows in English. She religiously utilized the close caption feature of these DVDs when watching them which in turn helped her to becoming fully literate in the language as well.

By the time, Maia was ten, she was able to converse in English with her cousins quite satisfactorily. Maia had become more fluent in Russian since it was the primary foreign language she learned at school and two of her friends were Russian. Besides there were lots of television channels in Russian available for Maia to watch at her leisure. As a result, Maia spoke English with a heavily pronounced Slavic/Estonian accent. This proved to be delightful to the ears of her American listeners especially to her male peers who would be attracted to her physical beauty.

Given their age differences her cousin Paul Jr. was not particularly intrigued by Maia, but still having a close relative from a foreign land whose primary language only his father understood was enough to at least make him curious. He was especially interested in hearing about her tennis exploits. And so, they had an interesting informative discussion during the hour and a half drive from the airport to the farm.

Paul Jr. like his father before him, was understood to be the heir apparent of the family farm. And like his father, he had attended Iowa State University and enrolled in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The relationship between his father and himself was as amicably and harmoniously as it could possibly be. He and his father were equal partners in managing the dairy farm with its 208 cows. Thus, it was anticipated that when the senior Paul did retire the transition would be seamless. And the grandson Paulie was already having significant chores to do, paving the way for his becoming the ultimate heir to the farm. Maia could relate to Paulie's situation as she had chores to do at the dairy farm in Estonia where she lived until she was seven years old. Thus, her cousin's description of his family life and the labor involved in working the dairy farm held a lot of interest for her.

In past visits, she had little interaction with Uncle Paul and his family as opposed to her interaction with Aunt Erica and her family. The reason that was so, Maia supposed it had to do with the fact that her uncle spoke to her in English once she was able to do so. His refusal to speak Estonian with her, was his way of making Maia feel part of his family. Unfortunately, it had the opposite effect on Maia as it left herself feeling more of a stranger and that she was not really part of their family notwithstanding the actual blood ties.

During the trip from the airport to the farm, Maia naturally was aware that her cousin could only speak English. Thus, in her mind the feeling of estrangement was not present as it was when speaking with her uncle who would not speak Estonian with her despite the fact he was able to do so. As a result, for the first time in all her visits to the Laaning farm in Wisconsin, Maia was genuinely more interested in learning of the dynamics of her uncle's family. And his cousin did just that in providing the pertinent details.

In addition to his son Paulie who was eight years old, his cousin had a daughter named Anita who was six years old and was in grade one. He had no more children since unfortunately his wife, Marlene, née Webster, had to undergo a hysterectomy as a result of dangerous health complications emanating from unduly heavy menstrual bleeding, which started shortly after Anita's birth.

There were two points of interest for Maia in learning of the current status of Uncle Paul's family. One of them was a recent situation, the other was an ongoing situation that was resolved fairly recently as well. The latter situation involved his sister, Judy Laaning, who was eleven years older than Maia. Judy was not happy with her lot in life. Of all the females in the Laaning family, she was the only plain one. Not only was Judy homely, but she had an abrasive temperament that compounded her aggravating personality. Judy's paramount grievance with her family was her resentment that her brother would arbitrarily inherit the farm.

She argued with her father constantly that she contributed as much labor to the farm as her brother. She was quite capable of running the farm herself and that is what she really wanted to do. Her father, at first tried to mollify Judy by establishing a trust fund in lieu of her share to the family farm.

The precedence had been set by Maia's maternal grandfather, Toomas Laaning, who had established trust funds for Maia's aunt Erica and for Maia's mother. Each such trust fund being deemed equal in value to one third of the value of the farm. Aunt Erica used the proceeds of her trust fund to help finance the start-up costs for her restaurant/night club in Chicago, which became the trendy place for the sophisticated party crowd to frequent. Vivian used her trust fund to pay for her education expenses, so that when she became a lawyer and started working for the law firm of Kirkland, Mayer & McDermott she had no debts. She even had some monies left over to pay into a partnership position. Consequently, both Maia's aunt and mother were satisfied with the division and had no issue with their brother becoming the sole owner of the farm.

However, Judy had no such similar magnanimous attitude. She believed she should have an equal share in owning and operating the farm. With such posture, she continuously engaged in fierce battles with her father and brother over control of the farm. To bolster her case, Judy had not touched the trust fund established for her, even when she turned twenty-five and had the absolute ownership of the monies in the fund. She didn't use the funds like her aunts did with their trust funds to pursue an independent life.

Finally, to resolve Judy's obstinacy, Judy's father extracted a promise from Judy not to contest the contents of his last will and testament. He pointed out that he is not legally compelled by law to bequeath her anything. However, while he was operating and working the farm she would receive one quarter of the farm's net income, so long as she contributed her share of the labor of the farm and her share of the expenses. Then upon retirement or his death whichever event occurred first, the farm would be deeded to Paul Jr., but Judy would be allowed to live and work on the farm until her death. If she had children, they would not have legal interest in the farm.

Judy agreed to this arrangement which then was put into writing by their respective lawyers. Paul Jr was OK with the ensuing arrangement. Just as in the case with his father, he was amicably able to work together with his sister. Judy used her trust funds to hire contractors to construct additions to the farm house, thereby increasing its size to over six thousand square feet. As a result, the home now had ample bedrooms and bathrooms to accommodate the three separate households.

Judy Laaning remained single as she could not establish a long romantic relationship given her character. She was not too disappointed as she was not interested in becoming a mother in any case. For proper decorum and not wishing to possibly upset or disturb the impressionable minds of Paulie and Anita, Judy occasionally entertained a male date utilizing the spare barn on the farm. It contained human living space, consisting of a bedroom, a kitchen and bathroom facilities. Maia realized that this must have been the site for her mother's loss of her virginity.

The other development in the Paul Laaning family was the discovery of an apparent sister to Paul Jr and Judy. During Paul Sr single days, he was somewhat of a Lothario. It transpired that he had bedded more than his share of womenfolk in the county which included inter alia his eventual wife Eleanor Woodhall. The latter was his most frequent love partner, and they were perceived to be an item by all their friends and acquaintances. However, that fact did not preclude him from having had sex with a myriad of women both single and married. Or as his sister, Erica had confided to Maia's mother, "Our brother has probably fucked all the women in our county who were deemed to be fuckable."

The first three women Paul Sr had sex with were married and he surmised that they were utilizing birth control measures as he had not been the aggressor in initiating the sexual intercourses. Besides, they assured him that was the case. Lulled by the notion that a female willing to have sex with him, his mind set was that they would most certainly have taken precautions against getting pregnant. Therefore, he didn't bother in keeping a supply of condoms handy. As far as he could remember, every female he had had sex with, either before coitus or after had voluntarily assured him that she was utilizing a birth control measure.

In fact, the main reason, he did marry Eleanor Woodhall was that she did get pregnant. She maintained it was an accident that she had forgotten to take her birth control pills for a week. That excuse didn't really pass the smell test, but Paul didn't care. If truth were to be told, he was getting jaundiced by the various multipole meaningless sex he had engaged in for the previous five years or so. He had by this time taken over the main management of the farm from his father, and thus was certainly ready to settle down.

Eleanor was definitely the woman who inspired his true love and devotion, so he had no objection to marrying her and thereby making the birth of Paul Jr legitimate. He was absolutely certain of her love for him such that he was not churlish enough to demand a blood test to confirm paternity. As it was, as Paul Jr matured there was no doubt about his inheritance of Laaning genes by way of his looks and mannerisms.

Discounting Judy's contentiousness, the family life at the Laaning dairy farm in Wisconsin was as idyllic as can be imagined. It was comparable to the praiseworthy wholesomeness of the TV shows like "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie". Such serendipity was interrupted by a shocking telephone call received at the beginning of the current month of March.

The phone call was answered by Eleanor and a female caller asked to speak to Paul Laaning to which Eleanor responded, "Which one, Junior or Senior? I'm assuming by the mature sound of your voice you are not looking to speak to Paulie."

The caller hesitantly suggested, "Well I guess it could be either one I suppose. I'm looking for the Paul Laaning who attended Arthur MacArthur High School in Lydiaville, some thirty-five years ago."

Eleanor answered, "That would be Senior, my husband. Who should I say is calling?"

The caller replied, "Well he wouldn't know me, but nevertheless he might be interested in taking my call."

When Paul did get on the phone, the caller said, "Good evening Mr Laaning. My name is Sonia Broadhurst. I believe you would know Silvia Young from your high school days."

Paul paused for a moment as he sensed that the name did indeed sound vaguely familiar. He then quickly recalled and confirmed, "Why yes, I do remember a girl by that name whom I had dated in high school. So, what's all this about?"

Sonia answered, "Silvia Young, or as her married name is Silvia Broadhurst, is my mother. I do believe that you are my biological father, and I would like to see you. Please don't be alarmed as I do not want, nor do I intend to intrude in your life. I just want to meet you."

Paul Laaning was dumbfounded by that bold assertion. He barely recalled Silvia Young, and only just by name, but he could not even remember her visage. He did remember dating her, and yes, he did slightly recall to having had sex with her. But he was absolutely certain there was no apprehension or question of a resulting pregnancy as a result. Admittedly, though, after all those years, he hardly remembered the details of his association with Silvia Young.

With these thoughts raging through his mind, he carefully asked, "What makes you think that Ms Broadhurst? I'm absolutely certain that I was not aware that Silvia was pregnant when I knew her. And I'm absolutely certain that she had not told me that she had become pregnant as a result of our dating."

Sonia replied, "I have very good reasons to believe that you are my actual biological father and that is my sole reason for wishing to meet with you. Rest assured I have no interest in ingratiating myself into your life or your family, but I would like to know some things about you. I am currently visiting my grandmother, Claire Young in Lydiaville, so I would ask if you would please agree to meet me at Larry's Steakhouse for lunch say at one tomorrow afternoon? I'll happily reveal all the facts I know which would indicate that you are my biological father."

Needless to say, Paul was flabbergasted by Sonia's exchange. He was also attuned to the gentle sincerity she had articulated her request. As a result, he was inclined to accede to her solicitation. He replied, "All right Ms Broadhurst, I'll meet you there to hear you out. Since, I don't know what you look like and I presume the same holds true for you, I'll ask you to reserve a table so that I can be directed by the hostess to meet you."

Sonia answered, "Thank you. I'll look forward to seeing you."

Paul duly entered the restaurant at the appointed time. Paul was a frequent patron of this restaurant ever since his oldest sister Erica had been a server there. Upon inquiry with the hostess, he was directed to the table where Sonia Broadhurst was seated. He gasped at her physical facial features, which eerily resembled that of Vivian, his younger sister and Maia's mother.

Sonia had the same fiery red hair as Vivian. As he shook hands with Sonia in their mutual greeting, he was thinking that this woman might indeed be his natural daughter as she alleged in their telephone conversation. As a result, he was first to speak as they sat down, "Well, Ms Broadhurst, I must say by your appearance you sure have a resemblance to my family especially to my younger sister. So, I'm naturally intrigued by your assertion that I may be your flesh and blood father. If I may be so bold, can you tell me how old are you?"

Sonia answered without hesitation, "I am thirty-four years old, and so I believe thirty-five years ago you were in high school attending Arthur MacArthur High School. I've taken the liberty to bring along with me a picture of my mother as she was attending that school thirty-five years ago. Perhaps this may help you in remembering her."

As Paul was examining the picture, he was able to vaguely recognize Silvia Young as someone he had dated and barely remembered having sex with her. He could not recall the details of their dates, or for that matter now many dates he did have with her. He never dated any girl more than three times except for Eleanor. However, there was one thing he was certain of. He knew, this Sylvia Young had never approached him indicating that she was pregnant by him. In fact no girl except for Eleanor had claimed to have been impregnated by him. He indicated as much to Sonia.

She answered, "You might change your mind after you hear my story."

Without any explicit prior arrangement, Paul ordered for himself a beer and a roast beef sandwich. Sonia Broadhurst settled for a steak salad and also a beer. She then commenced her narrative, "I was born in Saint Louis, MO. My mother had married Patrick Broadhurst shortly before I was born, and I had believed him to be my father all my life until recently. I grew up in St, Louis and I went to college at the University of Missouri at Columbia. As a result, I'm a high school teacher teaching history and English literature."

12