Malevolence: CATU Book 4 Ch. 11

Story Info
Battle of words.
1.1k words
6.6k
00

Part 12 of the 18 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 10/29/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gang Jun

Captain!

Delun Tong glares at the officer addressing him. He is not in the mood to receive bad news. So far his fleet has taken quite the beating and he is close to losing the battle. If he is defeated here, the blame will befall him sending his name—his family name—into shame. Somehow he only hopes he can turn the near defeat into a victory.

"What is it?" he asks with anger flaring in his eyes. The officer steps back involuntarily, stammering over the words in his head before finally gathering the courage to speak them.

"Our formation is lost," he quickly says. "The Jiangli, Mingxing, and Biaolong have all been sunk. The rest of the fleet is too far out to provide us with ample protection."

Delun Tong's hope is starting slip away even further than before. Anger swells up inside as he fights to control it to keep a level head. "What of General Wei and the remainder of the fleet?"

"They are still an hour out sir," the officer says appearing to shrink just a little more.

Tong spins around looking to each of his men on the bridge. He struggles with mixed emotions and thoughts. He could order a retreat and many of them men would be glad to follow an order. He could stay and fight to the end with hopes General Wei would arrive in time and still many of the men would be glad to do so. No matter his choice though, the end result is be one did not care to face. "Order the fleet to press full on," he orders finally coming out of dilemma. "We will follow straight in with our brethren. I want the batteries fully firing until the American fleet are no more or we are no more!"

"Very well Captain," the officer answers. He turns to the communications officer and relays the order.

——

General Wei arrived with his portion of the fleet to find the fleet commanded by Captain Tong in ruins. Hulking masses of Chinese ships continue to burn as they barely manage to remain afloat. Many of the ships are no longer burning but are massive chunks of wreckage. Debris and bodies litter the sea. What ships that can't be seen that are supposed to be there, General Wei assumes now sit at the bottom of the ocean floor.

American ships mill about along with small water craft as they search for survivors. Wei orders his ships to stop short of any long range guns the Americans have and wait to be hailed. "Are there any transmissions from the Gang Jun?" he openly asks.

"Yes sir," a crewman answers. "We have a final transmission send just before the ship sunk."

"Sir," another crew member says before the general can speak. "We are being hailed by the American Fleet."

"Send the report to my quarters," he says to the first crewman. "Put the Americans on."

A click sounds letting the general know the communications line is open. "This is General Wei of the flagship Dawei."

"Greeting General Wei," a crisp voice says over the line. "This is Fleet Admiral Russell Pellington of the USS Downley requesting to know your intentions."

"Ah Admiral Pellington, I have heard of you and your accomplishments."

"As I have heard of you also General."

"I see you have defeated my fleet," he says stating the obvious. "I have what you would call a superior force at moment considering my fleet is fresh and ready for battle where as yours is in near shambles."

"If that is a threat General then I am more than ready to face you here and now," Pellington says with a fierceness that leaves General Wei without doubt. "Reinforcements are on the way and I assure you that if you defeat me before their arrival I assure that you will be crippled and easy pickings."

"You expect me to believe what you tell me because you are afraid of defeat?"

"I expect nothing from you general," Pellington says with a dead tone lining his voice, showing no hint one way or the other about whatever emotions are running through him. "Your forces on the ground are losing and on the verge of surrender or retreat. Your fleet has been defeated here and you are left to defend something that no longer exists except for your pride. The choice is yours General Wei."

Wei stands silently staring off into the distance. The crew on the bridge looks around trying to avoid staring at the general anxiously awaiting his decision. They are willing to give their lives for their country but none of them wish to die foolishly for something that may no longer exist.

"Are there any Chinese survivors?" Wei asked breaking the silence.

"We have found none general," Pellington answered. "If we do, however, I personally guarantee that when this conflict is resolved, provided you turn your fleet around and leave, they will be returned to China."

"Very well Admiral, I will hold you to your word."

Wei signals the communications officer to cut the transmission then orders the fleet to turn around.

"I'll be in my quarters," he announces. "I only wish to be bothered upon an attack or when we reach Mother China."

——

General Wei sits at his desk for several minutes before finally playing the recorded transmission sent out by Delun Tong shortly before his command ship sunk.

The report is for General Wei. I apologize for my defeat against the American fleet. I give no blame for the sabotage against the Gang Jun as I should have been prepared for any form of attack. I believe the traitor was in league with the Americans and I have dealt with him accordingly. I was faced with the opportunity to retreat and save myself and crew but decided to face the enemy and go down fighting for Mother China. I thank you for the opportunity you have given me and only ask that I take full responsibility for my actions and that my family name be spared from the shame I have brought upon them.

The report ends leaving Wei to stare at the blank computer screen. He does not worry much for his young captain as much as he does for himself. He would play the message for his superiors and he knows the burden will not rest on the captain but on him.

The entire campaign began because of his convincing and absolute guarantee of its success. His failure will bring dire consequence. He could run, take the Dawei and defect to the American side, but that is the coward's way out in his eyes. No, instead he will choose to face his superiors and hope for a different outcome than he expects. If not, he is ready to accept his fate. Men chose their destinies and have to except what awaits them at the end of their journey.

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Russian Winter: CATU Book 2 Ch. 01 Terror strikes US soil.in Novels and Novellas
Accession: CATU Book 5 Ch. 00 Confusion.in Novels and Novellas
From the Ashes: CATU Book 6 Ch. 00 The Amazon.in Novels and Novellas
Rising Tide: CATU Book 3 Ch. 00 What happens to a nosy agent?in Novels and Novellas
Ghosts: CATU Book 01 Ch. 01 What happens when the President's daughter is kidnapped?in Novels and Novellas
More Stories