Man in Progress Ch. 01: Introduction

Story Info
Garrison was an oddball, and late bloomer...
1.3k words
3.3k
1
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At 23 years of age Garrison Wade Thompson had not amounted to much in life. He was still living with his parents, and their fur children. His only past successes were in chronology, a spelling bee win, several successive video game achievements, learning to play a multitude of instruments with great skill, and learning several programming languages which he used to design the new website(s) for his high school. In the last two years he had given up video games, selling various high value accounts. He sold all of his instruments, with the exception of a sentimental acoustic guitar. He had started doing free lance web design, contracting out his services.

He went and laid down to rest after finishing a project for a local church. His Mother had asked him as a favor to give them a discount. That was fine, he had a habit of inflating his offered packages by 15% for churches specifically. He gave them a 10% discount.

At 10:30 a.m. Garrison was woken up by an email alert from the local church's council. They were highly satisfied with his work. They would have the second half of his payment to him by Monday morning, as stated in their contract. Garrison rolled back over, and went back to sleep. Some time in the early afternoon Garrison's mother knocked on his door.

"Wade? Wade? Lunch is ready... I talked to Mrs. Pierce. Apparently they couldn't help but present your website today! Everyone loves it!"

Garrison groaned, waking up, "Okay, they emailed me this morning."

"Alright Wade! Why don't you wake up, get dressed, and come down to eat," it sounded more like a statement than a question to him.

Garrison rolled away from the wall and towards the open floor of his room. He flipped the comforter towards the opposite end of his bed, covering his father's dozing cat. He pushed up, his naked form rising off the bed. He strutted across the hardwood floors. His night clothes were hanging. Garrison had developed a distaste for hangers, so they were pinched in the drawer opening.

"Mom never wakes me up, and she hasn't made me lunch since high school. I guess they're going to finally ask me to move out," Garrison concluded.

Garrison opened the drawer an inch or so. First he stepped into his pajama pants, and then slipped on his generic black t-shirt. He stopped in front of the mirror next to his door.

"I think it's time for a new look," he thought to himself.

Garrison opened his door, and took the 15 odd steps to the stairs. He took the 16 steps down them as he liked, calmly, quietly. He walked through the house. Garrison stopped once he entered the kitchen. There wasn't anyone at the kitchen table. He paused for a moment. He departed the kitchen for the seldom used dining room.

Walking towards it, Garrison heard the gentle shuffling of dishes, and pleasant conversation. There were voices he didn't recognize.

"There's no chance of getting away this. Whoever it is is here, because my parents want them here. I can't just go back to bed now. I really dislike parents for putting me in such a confrontational situation," he thought to himself.

He rounded the corner. Everything seemed to slow.

"Endorphins, fight-or-flight," the words crossed his mind.

Garrison walked into the threshold, and paused as he scanned the room. At the head of the table was his father, Anthony Thompson. On his father's right was his mother, Alice Thompson. On his left were three people, only one of which he had met before. In the first seat was Mr. Darren Walle. Mr. Walle was the first to spot Garrison, distracting him from the conversation he was having with Garrison's mother. Anthony followed Mr. Walle's line of sight.

"Wade! We have guests," his father stood up. "You remember Mr. Walle of course! This is his wife," his father gestured, and wade moved to greet them. "Mrs. Christine Walle," his father continued as they shook hands. "And finally, this lovely young lady is Diana Naomi Walle," his father said with a lighter, floating tone.

Garrison moved from Mrs. Walle to her daughter. He took her hand firmly, commanding respect, but gently, respecting her for what she was in return.

"Wade, why don't you sit down. We all have a waiting conversation," his mother offered. She received confirmation from everyone.

With a perplexed look Garrison thought to himself, "An objection would be awkward at this point, better not," he sat down between his mother, and Diana.

His place was set. There was hot food, and cool water in front of him. He took a filled glass from his right, the one nearest to him. He prepared to drink. Diana squeaked, and startled him.

"Sorry, I thought that one was mine! I've been drinking from it," she said apologetically,

Diana offered him an untouched glass from her right. She brushed against him as they exchanged glasses. Her reaction to the brief interaction stuck out to him, as did everything lately. He drank half of the glass in one go. His father began talking at him. His eyes made their way around the table. His mother was watching his father attentively. Mr. Walle was actively listen, looking from Anthony, to Alice, to Garrison. Mrs. Walle and Diana both were watching Garrison similarly to the way his mother was watching his father.

Things began to make sense. Everything was falling into place for Garrison. He understood that there were few likely reasons behind all of this. His father was still in the beginnings of his babelling.

"Dad," Garrison interjected.

The room went quiet, "Yes, Wade?"

"Are we joining a cult," Garrison asked blankly.

Everyone gaffed, and shared hysterics, "No Garrison, we're not joining a cult," his father and mother cried out together.

"Okay then. I was half convinced you were trying to get me to join you in a fertility cult, or even better a fertility cult hiding in plain sight as a religious group," Garrison offered up matter-of-factly.

Once again and with more enthusiasm, they all cried out laughing.

"Mother," he once again interjected.

She eased to composure.

"Am I babysitting, or marrying this girl," Garrison turned to look her in the eyes, asking with a cold expression.

Mrs. Walle lost her drink. Grapefruit juice began streaming out her nose, and mouth. Mr. Walle offered a puzzled expression to the lot. Diana broke out in a fit of giggling.

"That was fast dad, he really is sharp. Even better, straight to the point," Diana said flushed.

"That is definitely Wade for you," his mother said smiling.

"Yup, definitely no bullshit with Wade," his father agreed, formally ending the formalness.

There was a lengthy pause. Mr. & Mrs. Walle shared a look, and then looked at their daughter together. She looked between them. They all bust out laughing.

"He's wonderful Darren! Absolutely wonderful," said Mrs. Walle as she looked into her husbands eyes.

Mr. Walle smiled at her, returning her gaze, and then looked to Alice.

Garrison looked from one person to the next.

"Wade, the reason we're here is because we need you to do us a favor. We need you to work for us! You might already know, but Christine and I work for a multi-national financing firm. We have been offered an opportunity we cannot pass up. It is a big chance to move up in the world. However, Diana still has some years left in her education commitments. We would like to pay you to be a live-in caretaker to our estate while we live abroad, and Diana moves between home and school," explained Mr. Walle.

There was silence. Everyone looked to Garrison. Garrison had a thousand yard stare. He was somewhere else, thinking.

Finally he spoke, "I have some questions for you Mr. Walles."

"One, are you planning on paying me salary, or would I be filing with a 10-99? Two, are we going to discuss compensation & benefits here and now, or elsewhere and later? Three, will I be expected to live there, and will I be required to move in," Garrison asked with a masterful poker-face.

Everyone else shared glances, and everyone except Mr. Walle bust out laughing. Alice leaned over to Anthony, still laughing.

She whispered, "I think he quit smoking pot."

Anthony fell out of his chair.

  • COMMENTS
1 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Quirky

I'm interested. Very quirky in an aspergers sort of way, I think. I'm anxious to see where where you're going. 5* for originality.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Vigilante Shit Can the villain become the hero?in Loving Wives
He Loved Lucy He loved Lucy, but who did she love?in Loving Wives
The Curmudgeon She steps out, He Steps in. Control shifts. A little burn.in Loving Wives
A Wife Changes Careers Sheila in LA...Options for a New Career.in Loving Wives
The Other Side of Paradise Fate always finds a way.in Loving Wives
More Stories