Mantis Ch. 02: Negotiations

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No no! neither. But... I was ... listen I was around meeting the staff. And you know Latisha, right?"

He nodded. "yes. Art Director. Talented. A little emotional at times but well worth it."

"Pull up the news. Local." Arthur demanded. Jacob raised an eyebrow but quickly typed in the address. He didn't have to look long to see what Arthur had just learned about.

"Oh dear." He commented with minimal surprise. "Well that is dreadful. I will have to give her some sort of bonus to try and build her moral back up. Also, will help her with funeral costs."

Arthur shook his head. "Better idea... Instead of a bonus, why don't you give her what she really wants? Justice."

Jacob got a glint in his eye. He looked back to the article as he pulled a small black book from his coat. He scribbled something quickly in it before closing it with a smug satisfaction. "That was a good catch. I knew you were the right choice. I would have never picked up on this lead without your help. And you are fine knowing that you just signed that man to the grave?"

Arthur bit his lip. "I... I did my research. That man has killed and raped seven different women. No, I would feel no guilt. He can't keep doing that. And I don't say that lightly."

With his hands outstretched, Jacob smiled. "And this is the other reason I wanted to bring you on."

"huh?"

"Evalyn and I started this with noble goals, but we have... become desensitized. Our moral fiber is not as strong as it once was. Yours was very durable from what I have seen. The fact that you gave pause even know what this man has done is commendable. Arthur, the hidden part of your contract that Evalyn doesn't know is that you are to be a moral compass for us. She won't admit it, but I will." Jacob smiled sweetly. "congratulations, you just authored your first kill. How do you feel."

Arthur's stomach twisted. "Wait, that's it? You guys wont review it at all?"

"Nope. If you think he should die, that is enough proof for me."

He swayed on his feet as his stomach threatened to revolt. "You... you're really going to kill a man just because I asked?"

Jacob raised an eyebrow. "Having second thoughts?" Arthur nodded. "Good. If you didn't it would mean you weren't the man I thought, you were. Don't worry. For your sake, I will find undeniable proof that it is the correct target before we make our move. But I will say, this is the exact kind of scum we set out to remove. The kind that won't get the kind of swift justice they deserve. He's clever... but he hasn't faced the mantis before." A wicked predatory grin set on his lips.

Arthur gulped. He was about to speak when the door to Evalyn's office opened. She leaned outside, her hair frayed and a worried tired look dawned her face. "Jacob! Fetch me Arthur! This is an emergency!" And the door promptly closed.

Jacob and Arthur exchanged glances. Jacob pressed the intercom. "Ms. Hunter?"

"Yes?" Her voice came through frantic.

"Mr. Reinhelm is here to see you." His grin was a mile wide.

After a moment of silence the intercom flared up again. "He was right outside the door when I said that wasn't he?"

"I will send him inside." Jacob smiled and waved towards the door. "well go on in. Sounds like a doozy in there. Don't worry about thing out here. I'll take care of our little... problem. You go do your job."

Arthur gulped and headed to the door. "Uh... thanks." He muttered as his trembling hands pushed open the door to her office and slipped inside.