Masks Ch. 01

Story Info
Things are not always what they appear to be on the surface.
4.1k words
4.5
6.2k
2
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sappharia
sappharia
18 Followers

Life use to be simple. Get up, go to school, eat, party, repeat. The not so simple part was the constant push and struggle to succeed. I know my dad meant well but now that he's gone, how will I know when it's enough?

I am still numb, part of it still hasn't registered. Six months ago my cell phone rang at about 7:30 in the morning. James announced my dad was on the phone. I thought it was odd he was calling me so early, but when I took the call, it wasn't him and I would never hear his voice again.

His best friend's voice rang through the speakers in my penthouse, a place my dad had never seen because my success was not "traditional", it didn't come from a "real job" so I hid my entire world from him. Trying to make him proud through more 'traditional' types of success but that was never to be. I felt numb as I listened to Rob sob on the other end of the line, telling me my father passed away from an apparent heart attack.

They'd been on their way to the hospital to visit a friend who'd just had surgery, when he slumped over in the passenger seat, then he was gone. No sound, no words, life simply left him.

The doctors confirmed at the hospital that the ending would have been the same even if he'd been standing in the Cardiac Care Unit. He'd just been given a clean bill of health and then he was simply gone.

They always leave. First my mom during childbirth, and now dad's gone too. For weeks I'd been too numb to move, but Samantha helped me slowly focus on the things that were important.

Her soft persistence, and sometimes not so soft demands, pushed me to get off my sorry ass and live again. Her outwardly pragmatic New Jersey attitude hiding her concern for my emotional and mental well-being. I knew she cared and I also knew she was getting restless not being able to travel because she was carrying my load of the work too.

It was my job to keep things running, it had always been her job to be social and 'live it up' for publicity sake, though more times than not she did it because the guitar player of the bad was hot.

While I looked like I was heeding her words, inside I was simply surviving but there was job that needed to get done and I was the one who needed to make it happen. As the managing partner for McKenzie Kingston my emotional hiatus wasn't helping business, not to mention the fact the Empyrean club, an alternate adult lifestyle club, was rudderless without me at the helm. All I ever wanted was to be a success for that man, to make him proud and I could never show him the things I'd achieved because they were so unconventional, frowned upon but right now they needed me.

Each day I get further from the call, I feel more numb to it. Writing has become harder but deadlines don't wait for life situations, clients at the PR firm don't care that your world is falling apart, only that you make sure their lives do not; and the club...ah the club, a place to escape from life that everyone seeks. At least it's an escape for the clientele.

Throwing myself into the many aspects of my complex life has helped me get through it all. On the outside I know I appear in control, together, aloof, standoffish and confident. There are other words that could describe me - intense, arrogant, overwhelming and intimidating, but I've worked a bit to attempt some balance; though some people in my life would argue I've yet to find it. I think about my recent disagreements with Samantha and her constant comments on my general demeanor.

I wish I could be more like her, somehow tough and tender in the same instance. So open to new experiences rather than cowering behind the internally built walls; to just be able to let go to an experience. Of course lately, it seems, more times than not, the intensity of my own life is causing me to internally tamp down all of the feelings that seem out of place for a woman who has it all together, but we all have our secrets and ways of dealing with pressure.

I suppose it could be worse. Early successes have left me monetarily successful, even if a bit alone. It's hard to know who to truly trust but then again that was what dad always said anyway: Never be vulnerable, never be weak.

I stretch. My mind immediately starts to race about the things that need to be done here or there. Shoving the thoughts aside, I roll over, punching the pillow hard attempting uselessly to go back to sleep.

"Good morning James," I call to the ceiling.

"Good morning Ma'am. I noticed that you have only obtained 4.24 hours of sleep. This is not adequate sleep to maintain a healthy lifestyle." The disembodied British accented voice echoes through the room from the speakers overhead.

I roll my eyes at the computerized voice. "Set status to morning routine."

"Current status changed to morning routine."

The thick window blinds begin to slide open, ushering in the sunlight just starting to light the sky outside. The room lights slowly turn on, increasing in brightness in increments.

"Good Morning Ma'am. The current time is 6:13a. Inside temperature: 66ºF, new inside temperature setting to 69ºF. Outside Temperature: 68ºF, Feels like 66ºF. Today is forecasted to be nearly the same as temperature as yesterday. Showers possible. It is currently partly cloudy with winds from the NE at 5MPH. The humidity is 37% and the Barometric Pressure is 29.75" and falling.

Sunrise: 6:13a. Sunset: 7:58p. Air Quality: Good. Ozone: Good. Pollen: High.

House status: Coffee is complete. House is in Awake mode." He completes his computerized report.

"Set oven to Broil." I call back.

"Oven temperature confirmed to Broil."

"Start shower. Set temperature to 105ºF."

"Shower started," James confirms the command.

For a few minutes I stare up at the ceiling watching the light of the sun slowly increase, inching over the horizon. Finally throwing off the covers, I walk into the bathroom and begin my morning routine, steam already wafting into the bedroom.

The next half hour is full of morning activity. Putting on one of my favorite bum around the house and write outfits, I head out to the kitchen. The smell of dark roast coffee greets me immediately making my lips pull into a smile.

Pouring myself a generous cup with heavy cream and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. It is a decadent cup, but its richness brings a smile to my face and helps wake up my lagging senses.

Turning to the stove and grabbing a skillet, I begin the process of beating eggs with parmesan, salt and pepper; pouring the mixture to let it set, finishing the preparations for the frittata with the addition of the ham and asparagus. A few minutes later, the aroma blooms in the kitchen, I pull it from the oven. The light fluffy texture and golden brown top making my mouth water. Cutting a piece, I place it on the tray with my coffee carafe and head for my writing studio.

"Open all patio doors." I call out along the way.

"Patio doors opening."

The first breeze of the morning blows through the penthouse. The light sheers billowing in the soft movement.

Setting the tray on the side table, I survey my writing desk trying to find a place to start. For the next hour I find everything else to do but write. I pull up the most recent reports for the club and the PR firm, sort through emails I don't really read and click a game of solitaire. Never truly focusing on each things, my mind trying to find any inspiration to jump start and idea. Picking up the papers on my desk, I sort them, file them and repost the fallen book notes back on my computer screen. Draining my coffee cup, I fuss at myself for the procrastination.

Reaching for my coffee, I spoon sugar into the cup; the darkened organic sugar falling through the air like the sands of a far away desert. Dropping the spoon into the cup, I turn to my computer and begin to type.

He looked down at her kneeling form. The sapphire collar of his slave gleaming in waning sun, the matching leash draped down her ample bosom and into his hand.

"You look gorgeous, kneeling helplessly before me." He spoke softly, winding his hand through her hair. Tightening his grip, he pulled her head back and lifting her to her feet. "You'll look even more glorious under my lash."

I read the line shaking my head at the sad prose, but at least it's a start, and the ideas slowly begin to flow.

My pen doodles on paper, free flowing ideas from one part of the snippet to the next, letting myself get lost in a world of my own creation. A vain attempt to alleviate my frustration.

Normally the words flow in my mind like a film. Giving me a place to escape the harsher realities of the world. Each idea weaving ever complex patterns into threads of vivid imagination, forming a universe where there's often at least a 'Happy for now' ending.

"Ma'am, Miss Kingston is here, shall I let her up," says James, his computerized voice reminding me he's a talking box, no matter how "friendly and warm" he often sounds. His voice startling me out of my reverie.

"Yes, James." Releasing a sigh, I brace myself for the onslaught that is often Samantha Kingston.

"Very good Ma'am," comes the reply.

A number clicks and soft hums whirls work their way through the house as the front door prepares for her arrival.

I hear James' voice echo lightly through the penthouse, "Good afternoon Miss Kingston, Miss Devereaux is in her writing studio."

Moments later, Samantha Kingston comes bounding in the room like a tigger on springs.

"Atlas, darling," she says in an exaggerated Staten Island accent, falling into a fit of giggles seconds later.

I look up from my writing, attempting to seem overly annoyed so that she'll get the hint and leave me alone to sit quietly, creating the book that is quickly coming upon my publisher's deadline.

"Samantha," my acknowledgement a bit more curt than intended.

She eyes me up and down. My hair is pulled back from my face with pins, my dusty blue t-shirt looks as if moths have partied on it and my jeans are ripped in all of the wrong places, or right ones depending on why you're wearing them. I admonish my own mind as it slips towards the thought of hard steel against my skin, slicing through the rough material underneath while I'm bound helplessly at the mercy of my kidnappers.

Grabbing a pencil and my five-ring notebook, I jot the image quickly before it can escape my mind. Right now I could use all of the small pieces of inspiration that comes to mind.

"And what brings you by my ever so humble abode today, Miss Kingston?" the question posed without looking up from my notebook.

"That," she says flatly. "You're beginning to sound like one of your books every time you open your mouth."

My eyes shoot up and I glare at her.

"You're the one who's pushing to get it finished. It's not like my schedule is empty and I'm laying on a sunny tropical beach sipping Mai Tai's while the warm Caribbean water laps at my toes like a foot fetishist who's suffered a long winter."

Samantha rolls her eyes, "You just compared the Caribbean Sea to a foot fetishist." The laugh she was attempting to hold back erupts and she doubles over.

Shaking my head and sighing deeply, I watch Samantha slowly pull herself back together.

"Atlas, in all seriousness girlfriend, you are burning the candle at both ends and in the middle. I get your need to work and try to keep your mind off of things, but, no offense meant, but you're looking a bit worn."

"No offense taken, but my world doesn't just get to stop because I'm a bit overwhelmed. We've already found that out quite recently. People depend on me and I'm not one to drop it all just for a bit of R&R." My tone is pointed but even I think it sounds tired. I don't want to imagine what I look like in these raggedy casual clothes. "Besides, I get the basics to maintain 'Alexandra's' appearance every couple of week."

"Yeah, and a couple people at the club have been talking at the club that 'Alexandra' doesn't look her normal polished self. I'm serious Atlas, I know you have this whole self-sacrifice, you've got no needs and must save the world attitude but it's going to send you to an early grave. And just for the record, there's nothing wrong with hanging out in the Caribbean sipping Mai Tai's when you've already achieved a good amount of success. Take a breather for god sakes!" Her exasperated tone gives me pause and then her words hit me.

"What do you mean people have been saying that 'Alexandra' isn't her polished self? Do those people even know the things that woman does for them, to give them a place to 'play their little fantasy games' and make it all look sexy and effortless? Then she has to drive her sorry ass home, no wait her driver does that for her." A smile creeps across my lips as the rant flows freely and I can't help but let the laugh escape when I'm done.

"It is so funny to hear you talk about yourself in the third person, like your 'persona' is someone completely different. Cracks me up every time you do it." The tension in the air breaks and I nod in agreement.

"But to them she is a completely different person, just like the author, Sam McKenzie, I'm currently slaving away for is a 'completely different person."

I look down at the notes and post-its scattered across my desk. The blinking cursor on my writing software demanding that I give it the attention it deserves right now.

"So...What exactly did you have in mind for today? Now that you have so thoroughly interrupted the infamous Ms. McKenzie's slave."

"Oh, I was thinking about kidnapping Ms. McKenzie's writing slave and having a spa day. Spend lavishly on 'Ms. McKenzie's' account so that her accountant wonders why he bothers trying to reign her in and then helping that slave with a grand night on the town, where 'Alexandra's' driver will take us bar hopping and every one will wonder why the famous Ms. McKenzie is hanging around with the likes of her slave." Samantha's mischievous grin is infectious.

I look at her conspiratorially, "You know, I hear 'Alexandra' is a bitch on wheel when she finds out someone else is trying to commandeer her resources without permission."

"I know right, but that bitch swings a mean whip and I'm ok with taking the lashing for the both of us... if we get caught," her face an attempt at sober resignation, nodding slight, "because I'm a team player."

"Yeah," I snicker, "and self flagellation is easier than self whipping. Well, unless you are learning." I wince involuntarily at the memory of all of the welts I'd given myself as I'd learn to effectively throw a whip. First on a pillow and working my way through various exercises until I could tear a single sheet of toilet paper from the roll or take a fly out of the air with a single wrist flick.

"Awesome, let's go then. I took the liberty of arranging for Alexandra's driver to pick us up out front and alerted her security team that she'd be resting for the rest of the day and wasn't to be disturbed." Nonchalantly she picks up her bag and heads to the door.

"James, set for Alexandra do not disturb. Forward all emergencies to Atlas' number." Samantha calls out to the house.

"Miss Kingston, I can only comply with Miss Devereaux's commands at that level. You only have guest access." James replied evenly.

"James," I say prompting the computer to be ready for a set of commands. "Set Alexandra to Do not disturb, set Miss McKenzie to Do Not Disturb, set emergency contacts for Atlas."

"Done," James replies promptly. "Confirming current settings: Alexandra- DND, McKenzie-DND, Atlas currently available. Atlas-Emergency referral for all DND. Please confirm."

"Confirm," I say heading for the door, only to be met with a glare from Samantha as I round the hallway entrance.

"Really?" Her tone dripping with sarcasm, "Two-thirds of you are set for DND but you're available. Didn't we just have this chat?"

"Just let it go," I try to move past, but her Amazonian figure simply steps in my way.

"Turn. It. Off." She says, the look on her face daring me not to comply.

I shake my head in resignation. This is the Samantha Kingston that has assured by sanity for the past several month. I loving have a friend who push you when you can't seem to get there on your own, even if it is sometimes creates the most irritating of moments.

"James," I pause.

"Yes Ma'am?"

"Set Atlas for DND-Emergency on all faces only." I call out to the air, staring at Samantha the entire time.

"Confirmed. Alexandra, Sam McKenzie and Atlas Devereaux are currently set for Do Not Disturb status. Atlas' number is set for emergency on all faces." The computer confirms.

"Good-bye James," I call out.

"Have a good day Ma'am. Alarm set to away in 30, 29, 28, 27..."

I nod to the door and follow Samantha into the hallway, listening to the blinds shutting, the click and whirl of various settings in the house going into a new configuration and the final beeps as the security alarm sets.

"I've got the day all planned out," Samantha twitters on excitedly, "first we'll go find you a fabulous new dress and some amazing shoes. Then, we'll look for a matching bra and garter belt, with the finest hose to encase those amazing leg. I'm thinking facials, nails, hair...definitely hair."

I know without a doubt she's already got everything lined up.

"What's wrong with my hair?" I ask accusingly, twirling a ringlet just above my ear.

"The fact that you pull it back so much that the poor stuff is breaking off like mad. Seriously, Atlas, when was the last time you got a style?" She grabs the end and shoves in my face. "It looks like straw!"

I huff out a sigh. Never in my life have I been great about taking care of myself. I'm clean, I'm basically maintained but I'm not one that you'd consider polished or high maintenance. Which is why my persona as 'Alexandra' has always been a running joke. That, and the fact that she works as a Professional Dominant and owns an alternative lifestyle adults-only club while I am actually really sexually shy. It is the funniest joke no one else would understand. Or the fact that she dominants men and I tend toward wanting moments of complete surrender. If only I could escape inside one of those hot books I write as Ms. McKenzie.

"Earth to Atlas," I hear Samantha's voice echo and look up to see her holding the elevator doors. "Good lord you think to much. What was running through your brain this time?"

I laugh, stepping into the elevator. "I was just thinking how funny it sounds when we talk about my 'other personas' like they are real people, with real lives and if anyone knew they were all me, they'd think I was a little...," I shrug.

"You're one of the most compartmentalized people I've ever met. I have no idea how you keep it all together so flawlessly. What I can tell you is that the weight of the world is starting to tatter you a bit. You really should take some "me" time and do something for you." Her voice is soft and full of worry. She knows that I'll pacify her and not change a thing, my life is full of responsibilities, when it slows down then I'll take her advice.

The elevator dings. We walk arm and arm across the lobby-both of us breaking out in a fit of silly giggle when we see 'Alexandra's' driver and a black limo waiting in front of the building.

"Good morning Miss Devereaux, Miss Kingston. Alexandra has informed me that I am to be at your disposal today." His head bows slightly, opening the door.

"Thank you Adam." I nod and climb into the car without the usual style and grace such a maneuver would require of 'Alexandra'. When I'm in that role, I feel almost invincible somehow, untouchable. Everyone shows deference, respect and I rarely hear the word 'no', but as Atlas, I'm just 'Alexandra's' friend. The acquaintance no one quite understands, and doesn't dare question for fear of 'Alexandra's' notorious wrath and her hard as nails attitude.

sappharia
sappharia
18 Followers
12