Mass Effect: After The End

Story Info
Shepard survives.
7.9k words
4.45
41.4k
23

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 08/31/2017
Created 05/09/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
B59001
B59001
72 Followers

This is my fan fiction take on what happens after the end of Mass Effect 3. It ties in to my previous story entitled "Mass Effect: Perspectives".

I realise that many were highly irate with the endings but this is after. Of course this story assumes the destroy ending was chosen and the relevant stats were obtained prior to the final battle of the game. Naturally there are spoilers.

However, controversy aside, I hope you enjoy this story.

**************************

Shepard drew in a sharp breath and wheezed himself to consciousness. A sharp pain came from his ribs as each cough left his mouth. He was in pain, but he was alive. His eyes gave him a hazy picture but then they cleared and he looked up and the crucible was in view, still attached to the Citadel.

Shepard then look down found himself pinned. He heaved and fought through the pain and pushed it off him and he crawled out of the rubble. The citadel was badly damaged but Shepard had air to breath and was alive. Shepard made it to his feet and made his way to a less damaged point of the citadel. All the while he wondered if anyone else was alive up here. He stumbled and limped but found no one.

Shepard then came across first aid station; there was still some medi-gel inside it. Shepard applied it and felt a bit better. He then checked his radio, it was still working.

"Can anyone read me; this is Commander Shepard, over"

The radio crackled and fuzzed, Shepard tried again but to no avail.

"Dammit," Shepard thought to himself.

The radio then crackled and familiar voice came on, "This is Major Coats, Shepard is that you."

"Major, yes it's me, what happened are the Reapers destroyed?" Shepard enquired in a hurried tone.

"Yes. . . Yes they are destroyed, their bodies are still intact but they are dead, how are you holding up Commander."

Shepard replied "Well considering I nearly got incinerated by a Reaper, and the Catalyst, I'm fine."

"We'll try to get a shuttle to come and pick you up, Commander."

"Major, could you inform Miranda Lawson, I'm alive."

"Will do Commander, Coats out."

Shepard found a piece of rubble and sat down; drawing out a breath that seemed was being held for years. He felt sadness that Anderson was gone but knew he would be proud; it was the last thing he said to him before succumbing to his wounds.

The Shuttle arrived through the citadel as normal. The door opened and out stepped Coats and another Alliance soldier. The helped Shepard aboard, he sat down and thanked them.

"Shepard," a female voiced called out.

It was Miranda, she was happy to see him. She made her way over and sat down next to him. She gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you Shepard," Miranda said.

"You are a hero now, a legend," Coats said to Shepard.

"I'm still just a soldier," Shepard interjected.

"What happened to Anderson?" Coats asked tentatively.

"He's gone, Illusive Man was responsible," Shepard replied.

Miranda looked at him and asked, "Did you shoot the Illusive man Shepard?"

"No, he shot himself, I managed to convince him that the Reapers had him under their spell, it was just like Saren, trying to find redemption before ending his life."

"I find it hard to believe," Miranda said to Shepard

Shepard replied, "I can hardly believe it myself, what happened to the Normandy?"

"It was the last to leave, we believe that it crashed landed on another planet but we don't know, communications are a mess it will take a while to get back up and running," Coats replied.

"The Geth?" Shepard enquired.

"They are all gone, it seems the crucible wiped them out as well," Coats answered.

Shepard sank a little knowing that EDI must have been killed as well.

"FOB up ahead," the pilot shouted.

"Right Shepard, let's get you patched up," Miranda said to Shepard.

"We have a medic standing by, Shepard." Coats interjected.

The shuttle then landed at the FOB base Shepard was at earlier. Shepard got out with the help of Miranda and was taken to the medic. Shepard was scanned over and given another dose of medi-gel he was starting to recover.

Coats made his way over to the communications centre at the FOB. He got on the radio and sent out a message.

"All units this is Major Coats, Shepard is alive, I repeat Shepard is alive."

The message went out to all the ground troops and the fleet where Hackett received word that Shepard had survived. Everyone cheered, they were overjoyed the Reapers were destroyed and Shepard had lived to tell the tale.

Meanwhile Shepard had made his way to the medic and got treatment, his leg was injured but the bone wasn't broken, his severe burns were treatable but Shepard was a fighter which everyone in the galaxy was aware of at that point. Shepard lied on the stretcher with Miranda alongside him; he looked up at her and asked, "You feel different Miranda,"

"No, actually I don't, I feel better about the future, about us, that is if there still is an us?"

"Miranda, you are what kept me pushing, fighting to survive, to come back to you."

"I will always be by your side, I love you Shepard."

"I think it's about time you called me John."

"Sure thing, John," Miranda replied with a grin on her face.

(Later)

Miranda walks into Shepard's make shift hospital room with news.

"How are you today John?" Miranda asked as she gave him a kiss on the lips.

"Much better Miri," was Shepard's reply.

"I have news, we received a message from the Normandy, from Ash."

"They're alive." Shepard replied with a sigh of relief.

"Yes, the Normandy sustained heavy damage; they crash landed on an uncharted world, between the Sol relay and Arcturus station, the blast from the crucible knocked them out the jump and they crashed.

They are repairing now but it will take time, a few weeks at the very least. EDI didn't make it, her consciousness was destroyed, and her processors within the ship were destroyed as well."

"I understand," Shepard replied.

Through the following days Shepard's former crew who were on earth came to see him. Garrus, Jacob, Grunt, Samara, Tali, Kasumi, Jack, Zaeed, Wrex, Kirrahe, Primarch Victus, Cortez, and others all came to see him and to give thanks. Shepard's spirits and health began to lift. He knew the Normandy would be back and he could sit down and enjoy the fruits of his labour.

Hackett soon came to see him.

"Shepard, you did it, the Reapers are gone and we have you to thank for that,"

"I just did my part, everyone deserves the praise."

"Don't be modest Shepard, it's a hell of a thing you have done."

"It's a shame Anderson isn't here to see it, he was a good friend."

"He was a friend to me too Shepard, for almost twenty years."

(Later)

Shepard now at full health stood at the temporary spaceport in London, with Miranda by his side awaiting the Normandy's return; it was a short trip but repairs took a month to complete as the nearby relay was damaged. Then Shepard noticed a spec in the distant sky up above, then it started to get bigger and Shepard recognised it immediately it was the Normandy, repaired and was coming home.

It landed and the bay doors opened; Ash stepped out first, followed by Garrus, then Tali, James, Traynor, Ken & Gaby, and the rest of the crew all filled out, with Joker the last to emerge. Heroes were reunited and were happy to see each other again and for the first time in peace.

Shepard exchanged a firm handshake with Garrus, while Miranda and Ashley embraced each other happy to see each other again. Everyone shared their joy and congratulations.

Shepard pulled aside Joker to speak with him.

"I'm sorry Jeff, I know EDI meant a lot to you."

"It's hard to see her go, Crucible must have targeted all synthetics, the geth too huh."

"Yes, they were destroyed."

"The Reapers are gone and EDI gave herself so that we can survive."

Just then Ashley walked over to Joker and Shepard. She handed Shepard the plaque she refused to put up on the memorial wall.

"I knew you weren't dead, I felt it in me, that you had to be alive. I just couldn't put that up."

"I always knew you had keen senses, and I am happy to see you again Ash."

"It's going to be one hell of task to rebuild, we defeated the Reapers, so I imagine that we should be up to the task."

"That's true."

Shepard then left Ash and Joker in discussion and headed over to Garrus who was in conversation with Miranda.

"Shepard, you did it," Garrus said to Shepard enthusiastically.

"No we did it, all of us," Shepard humbly replied.

"Well I'm glad it's over, I was talking to Miranda about being your best man when the two of you get married."

"Sure thing Garrus, but we need to have a place to get married first, it will take some time."

The rebuilding got underway almost immediately and everyone wasted little time in rebuilding. The aliens already on earth decided to stay to assist in the rebuilding it was a grand gesture extended because of Shepard.

The first thing to be done was to prepare a place for a ceremony to be held. It would be a grand thing. Trafalgar square was chosen and the construction began there. Basic facilities were slowly restored and organic life began their path back to normality. The square was completed in a month.

The day arrived and everyone was present, the crew of the Normandy and those who fought on earth. Shepard was in his full military attire looking like a proud hero. Miranda was sat in the front looking on with happiness in her heart, as was her sister Orianna who sat beside her. She was dressed differently she was in a dress, a short white sundress, where she found it was anyone's guess.

Ashley and James were there as well in their military uniforms. Jacob was in attendance and once again a proud member of the Alliance navy.

Garrus looked on with pride at what was happening. The other Turian soldiers were there including Primarch Victus who felt a huge debt to Shepard.

Wrex and Grunt were present showing appreciation on behalf of the Krogan people. Tali made up the Quarian contingent. Liara looked on in the crowd and felt joy and seemed to have been coming to terms with also losing her father Matriarch Aethyta when the Reapers took control of the Citadel.

Shepard's shipmates both old and new were present, his fellow soldiers. Everything was good as it was going to get considering the gravity of previous events. Up on the stage a large portrait of Anderson was present with his dog tags draped on the picture.

Shepard was up on stage alongside Hackett. After the war Hackett was the sole remaining Admiral and pretty much the most powerful person in human history. However, he was about share that honour with Shepard.

A full military ceremony, honouring Shepard and remembering the lost was now in full swing, with the ruins of London surrounding everyone took the time to honour the fallen. The pain of loss was still fresh in their minds but they knew the pain would fade eventually. Diana Allers was covering it in detail for her show and for the entire galaxy to see.

Shepard stood up and walked over to the podium, he looked at everyone present and felt glad, he then addressed all who were present.

"Friends, comrades, we stand in the ruins of London, one of earth's oldest cities. We stand here, victorious, free from the threat of the Reapers. I stand before you, as a soldier. A soldier like the many whom we lost. Leaders like Admiral Anderson, who played a great part in winning us this victory. Thank you for this honour but the ones who are not with us anymore deserve it most."

Shepard then sat down tugging at his full military uniform and watching as Admiral Hackett took the podium all the while rapturous applause filled the square.

"Shepard, you have done the impossible and during the war you made history brokering Alliances no one thought possible. The history of the stars has been changed forever. The beginning of this war brought uncertainty, a few times we almost thought all was lost, but here we stand thanks to Shepard.

Admiral Anderson was a good friend his leadership of the resistance kept the fight alive here on earth. He was an honoured soldier and a friend. His bravery will go down in history as he sacrificed his life for all of us. Our future, lies in front of us and a lot of people, won't be here to see it. We must stand together now and look toward the future. Let us not squander what we have; there is hope as our future is free from the Reapers."

Another round of applause followed Hackett's words. After the ceremony was complete Shepard retreated back to the Normandy it was still his ship. He entered the Normandy, for the first time since the final battle with the Reapers, and made his way to the crew deck to find everyone present. He first stopped at the memorial wall and gave a salute to all those lost.

He then turned around and approached the excited crowd of people. Miranda came up to him and they exchanged a quick kiss. He saw everyone was in a joyous mood. Garrus shook his hand as they were now brothers considering everything they had just been through.

"So I guess this won't be just like old times," Shepard said to Garrus.

"I guess not, but this will be better," Garrus replied.

"Still planning on retiring somewhere tropical?" Shepard asked.

"Sure, but I think some rebuilding is in order, Shepard," Garrus responded.

Miranda exchanged an embrace with her sister as they were happy and now didn't have to live their lives in fear anymore they could do what they wanted.

Shepard noticed Ashley and James seemed quite close now; he went over to them to congratulate them and wish them well.

"Ash, James, I'm happy for the both of you," Shepard said addressing them both.

"Thanks Shepard, that means a lot coming from you," James responded.

"Yes Shepard thank you, and we wish the best for you and Miranda," Ash replied.

"Thank you to both of you," Shepard responded.

A voice then shouted, "Shepard!"

Shepard then turned around to see Joker with his glass raised and in a jovial mood. He still mourned EDI but he obviously knew that peace has come about as a result of her sacrifice.

"Joker, how are you holding up?" Shepard asked.

"Better now, it was strange flying the ship back without EDI beside me but, I realised that she would want me to move on, she knew the risk she took, but today we are celebrating you Shepard, so cheers," Joker replied.

Then a large hand found itself on Shepard's shoulder, he then turned to find Wrex.

"Shepard, it's time to celebrate, you are a hero to everyone." Wrex said with joy.

"I couldn't have done it alone," Shepard replied has he turned to Grunt to share the celebrations with.

"You will always be welcome on Tuchanka, you are a hero and the toughest person I have ever known, you'll have a statue up on Tuchanka when we get back there," Grunt haughtily replied.

Shepard found Zaeed with his glass raised, "Shepard, you god damned did it, we gutted those bastards." "Yes we did Zaeed, glad you made it."

"Same to you Shepard," Zaeed replied.

Shepard then made his way over to Kasumi. She was conversing with Tali.

"Hey Shepard, that was fitting, you are a hero, you deserved that, what is the war hero going to do now?" Kasumi enquired.

"I'm not sure, but what is the Master Thief going to do now?" Shepard enquired.

"Well that is yet to be seen Shep," Kasumi replied.

"Shepard," Tali exclaimed much like she did after the discovery of Sanctuary except, this time with more joy in her voice.

"Tali or should I say Admiral," Shepard responded.

"I'm not sure about that but once I get home we shall see," Tali began, "Oh and a toast to you and Miranda may you find happiness.

"I second that Tali," a voice spoke out.

Shepard turned to see Liara looking jovial and happy sharing the celebration with Samara.

"Liara how are you doing?"

"I will be ok, the pain of loss will fade, instead of mourning let us rejoice the great people whom gave it all for us to have this victory, like Kaidan."

"and Admiral Anderson."

"Yes he was a good man, and a father figure to you."

"Yes he was, the last thing that he told me was that he was. . . proud of me."

"That must have been hard, but he would want you to move on."

"Yes, we have a bright future ahead of us that is for sure."

Shepard then turned his attention to Samara.

"Samara I'm glad you are here, though I am sure you want to see your daughter soon."

"Indeed Shepard, I've come a long way since your help at the Monastery, and now that the Reapers have been defeated I must continue my work."

"Do you know if any other Justicars survived?"

"It is difficult to say as the chance is remote."

"I suppose it is, will you be returning to Thessia."

"In time I will return to my home, I must first see my daughter."

"I understand, I wish you the best Samara."

"I wish the best for you as well Shepard."

Cortez then appeared to congratulate Shepard.

"Shepard, here is to you, a great leader, commander and friend," Cortez addressed Shepard with his glass raised.

"To you Steve the best shuttle pilot any Commander could ask for," Shepard responded.

Shepard then spotted Jack, she saw him and approached. "Shepard, you did it," Jack exclaimed.

"Thanks Jack," Shepard replied.

"Just wish I could have been there when took down those Cerberus bastards. I bet it felt good."

"It certainly did Jack, I saw where he broadcasted from, staring at a giant star smoking away. In the end he saw the error of his ways and how the Reapers were controlling him, and then he ended."

"Didn't think his ego would of let him do that, let alone the Reapers but still he is gone and Cerberus with him."

"Yes and all the horrors of the past can be buried as well."

"Fuck yeah Shepard, and I hope you and the princess over there are happy."

"I'm surprised to hear you say that Jack."

"Well I suppose she isn't so bad, even she saw how fucked up Cerberus was, it took her long enough."

Jack then downed her drink and Shepard decided to make his way back to Miranda. She was with her sister and Garrus.

"Commander, you are a hero, and you have my gratitude for what you have accomplished and the happiness you have given to my sister," Orianna said to Shepard.

"Well thank you, and your sister is an amazing woman," Shepard replied.

"That she is Shepard," Garrus said and then turned toward Miranda, "I don't think I ever mentioned this Miranda but I always knew you would be important, to defeating the Reapers, and even beyond Cerberus."

"Well thank you Garrus, that is kind of you," Miranda replied.

Shepard grasped Miranda's hand and she looked at him, knowing exactly what he meant. Garrus and Orianna also caught the hint as they were to make their way to the captain's cabin.

Orianna then turned to Garrus and asked him, "So Garrus, why don't you tell me a little about yourself?"

"Certainly," Garrus responded, happy to oblige.

Shepard made his way to the elevator when the doors opened and Samantha Traynor stepped out. "Seems I am late for the party," Traynor said to Shepard.

"It's still carrying on Samantha, but it's good that you're here," Shepard replied.

Traynor knew what they were off to do and simply smiled as she walked off to join the others. Shepard and Miranda then stood in the elevator as the door closed. They then turned to face each other and exchanged a passionate kiss. Miranda smiled at that to show her approval and enjoyment. She then responded by grasping his genitals through his pants.

The door of the elevator then opened and Miranda made her way into the captain's cabin and Shepard followed. The cabin was just as he left it, Shepard glanced at the scale models to his right and the fish tank on the left. He activated the music from the panel on the wall.

B59001
B59001
72 Followers