Master of Fire Ch. 04

Story Info
A ghost kidnaps a half-vampire.
4.8k words
4.71
21.9k
8

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 07/26/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
suggababy
suggababy
73 Followers

Ember stared at the spot where Demetri had faded, not knowing what to think about the ghost's hasty retreat. She turned her gaze back to the fire and got lost in the flickering of the flames for a short eternity.

A low growl from her stomach brought the halfling back to reality. She sat up and slid off the counter, pulling the leather jacket fully on as she did. It was far too big for her small frame. Ember hugged herself and, as she buried her face in the soft leather, suddenly found her senses enveloped...

It smells musky, dark, a little smoky maybe. It smells like him. It's his scent. Oh God.

Images of her rape passed through her mind: Ember suddenly remembered how it felt to have Demetri pressed against her, his weight on top of her, his dick thrusting deep inside her, his scent and strength overpowering her. But then, just as the flood of memories threatened to overwhelm her, she saw his eyes. In her mind the halfling saw the ghost's glowing blue eyes staring tenderly into hers.

Ember's lips trembled at the power of the conflicting and confused emotions rushing through her. She let out a half sob and frantically pulled the jacket off and threw it across the room. She sank to her knees as the jacket hit the floor, clenching her fists and blinking back tears in a desperate effort to avoid sinking into despair.

Find your strength. Find your strength. Remember your family.. Remember...

Slowly Ember's breathing slowed and her heart stopped racing. Slowly, she felt the desperation and panic leave her. Slowly, she felt the fire rekindling in her heart.

Shakily, Ember returned to her feet. Though her knees were still trembling slightly, the flames that lit the halfling's eyes were again glowing brightly.

She shook her head to clear away any lingering emotions and began to search the kitchen for food. The halfling searched through every cupboard and shelf, but the kitchen was barren.

Where did Demetri get the food he gave me earlier? I saw him pulling food from these shelves! But there's nothing here... I don't want to call him but I am so, so hungry.

Ember slammed the last cupboard shut frustration: She did not want to call the ghost for help, but she was starving. She needed to eat something more than a handful of grapes if she was to survive this ordeal. The halfling sighed deeply, tears threatening to cloud her vision once more.

I have to call Demetri. I'm fucking starving...

She blinked firmly two or three times to clear the forming tears from her eyes, steeled her resolve and then called the ghost's name: "Demetri?"

Her cry was greeted with silence.

Maybe that's a sign. I should try to find my way back to my room...

"Starving is better than whatever he has planned for me anyway," Ember muttered beneath her breath as she began to leave the kitchen.

"Please don't say that..."

Ember whirled around to find Demetri staring at her with pleading eyes.

"How many times must I apologise to you?" the ghost asked.

"You wouldn't need to if you hadn't kidnapped me and raped me and threatened to torture and kill me," Ember growled bitterly.

"I have taken it all back. How can I convince you?"

"You can't," Ember said icily. "Because every time you try, you end up threatening me again. Every time my wounds heal, you just give me new ones."

The ghost's eyes hardened slightly and he nodded briefly. "Well," he said emotionlessly, "I came because you called me. What do you want?"

"Nothing."

"What do you need?"

"My freedom."

"Well you're not fucking getting it," Demetri snarled, his self-restraint finally failing.

There was silence as the moment sank in. Demetri growled in frustration and held his head in his hands, smoothing his hair back as he regained his composure.

"Tell me why you called me," he said finally, his voice returning to a relative calm.

"There's no food," Ember muttered quietly.

"Of course there is," the ghost teased, smiling in spite of himself as he approached her. "What do you want to eat? Anything you can think of can be found in this kitchen."

"There's nothing... I looked," Ember said disbelievingly.

"Well maybe you weren't looking hard enough," Demetri smiled down at the confused halfling. Before she could protest, Demetri had wrapped his hands around Ember's slim waist and lifted her up onto the counter once again. He ran his hands up her arms and frowned when he noticed that she wasn't wearing his jacket.

Ember saw the question in his eyes and looked away, knowing what his reaction would be when he saw the jacket.

Demetri glanced over the girl's shoulder and saw his jacket in a pile on the floor. He said nothing, just walked silently over and picked it up.

"Not cold anymore?" he asked, shaking the dust from the jacket as he returned to stand before her.

When Ember did not answer or meet his gaze, Demetri gripped her arm tightly and pulled her off the counter.

"If I ask you a question," he said dangerously, "I expect an answer."

"No, I'm not cold anymore," Ember said, her eyes finally meeting his defiantly.

The two stared at each other: though the storm in Demetri's eyes failed to douse the fire in Ember's, neither could her flames overcome the waves of emotion in his. Finally, the tempest in the ghost's gaze abated and he let the hand gripping the halfling's arm fall.

"I'm sorry," he said, holding out his jacket to her again. "Are you sure you're not cold?"

Ember reached out tentatively and accepted the jacket back, slipping her arms into the too-long sleeves once again.

Demetri smiled despite himself and he offered the halfling his hand. Hesitantly she accepted it, and she felt a sudden warmth emanate from the ghost's spirit and spread up her arm.

"You must still be very hungry," he said softly.

"Yeah, I am," she admitted.

"Well, like I said, this kitchen is stocked with anything and everything. Just tell me what you want to eat and I will find it for you."

"I-" the halfling hesitated, thinking.

"Anything you want. Even blood..."

"I don't drink it," Ember said offhandedly, still concentrating on figuring out her craving.

"I want a steak," she said finally.

Demetri laughed and squeezed her hand before letting it go.

"That was my next guess after blood," he said, turning to the cupboards. "Let's see where it is..."

Demetri opened a couple cupboards without success before spinning on his heel to face the halfling. He stole his fingers between hers once again and began to lead her to the dining room.

"I have a sneaking suspicion it's not in the kitchen," he smiled.

Ember shot him a questioning glance and then gasped as they rounded the corner and entered the grand dining room: A low table set with two large cushions in the middle of the dark chamber was lit by a ring of dripping candles. A huge platter of meat sizzled in the centre of the table, surrounded by a basket of warm bread, a pot of steaming soup, and an opened bottle of wine.

"How did you do this?" Ember whispered as Demetri walked her to the table.

"Honestly, I have no idea how this realm works," he smiled. "I just know that it has, so far, every time."

"Oh my God..." the halfling whispered.

Demetri chuckled and said: "Go ahead and eat. I know how hungry you must be."

Ember sank to her knees and began to load her plate, tearing into the meat with animalistic hunger.

Demetri sat down across from her and watched her quietly, shame and sadness gleaming in his stormy eyes as he watched her wolf down nearly a quarter of the platter of meat in mere moments.

"I am sorry I treated you so terribly," he said finally.

Ember started slightly at the ghost's words. She had almost forgotten that he was there, watching her devour the meal like an animal.

She swallowed slowly, put down the knife and fork in her hands, and wiped her mouth with a napkin. Slowly she resumed eating, now very aware that she was under scrutiny.

Demetri watched her measured eating for a few moments until he laughed out loud: "Halfling, don't be ridiculous - just eat for God's sake! Even this little bit of food has done you so much good."

He reached a ghostly hand out to brush against her cheek.

"The colour is already returning to your cheeks," he whispered.

Ember nodded at him, appreciating his words more than she thought she could.

For a few moments, there was complete silence except for the sound of Ember chewing.

"Where had you gone, by the way?" Demetri asked suddenly.

The halfling looked up in confusion: "The night you took me?" she asked, swallowing a mouthful of bread.

"Yes."

"It was my birthday," she said softly.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

"God you are so young," Demetri sighed deeply as he ran a powerful hand through his silver hair.

"Old enough to die, apparently," Ember said coldly.

"Death doesn't care how old you are," the ghost retorted. "I was about your age when she took me."

"Death didn't take you. Someone handed you to her," Ember said, shaking her head at the ghost as she put down her silverware. "That's why you came back for revenge."

The ghost's eyes pierced hers as he nodded: "Yes, I came back for revenge."

"Are you going to take it?"

"I'm done with this conversation, halfling," Demetri said sharply.

The halfling leaned back on her palms and looked at the ghost with an air of defiance.

"But," Demetri continued more softly, "I would like to keep talking to you."

"Isn't it bad to become attached to your prey?"

"We'll see," he said.

Before Ember could blink, the spirit was behind her, lifting her into his arms and walking her to the fireplace. He sat down with her in his lap and hugged her as close as she would allow.

"Let me go," Ember whispered.

"But you are so cold," Demetri murmured in her ear, "I can warm you up."

Ember shivered and closed her eyes as he kissed her neck lightly.

"Oh, come on," Demetri said half-heartedly, "I'm not such a bad guy."

The halfling pushed herself out of his lap and turned around on her knees to face him.

"Do you really think that?" she asked.

"I know that," he said.

"So this kidnapping and raping innocent girls is just an afterlife thing?" She retorted.

Demetri swallowed but did not drop his gaze.

"I am just a collection of emotions, halfling," he said. "I cannot control what I feel anymore."

"I'm tired of your excuses," she bit back. "Sometimes I just wish you would get it over with."

The ghost's glowing gaze turned frosty and his jaw set as he said: "You'll most likely be dead by morning, but right now I want to talk to you."

"Why?"

"Because I want to know more about you. I want to know what the world is like today. I want to know what your world is like."

"You shattered my world."

"Tell me what your dreams are."

"To escape from here."

"God you are impossible," Demetri groaned as he ran a powerful hand through his silver hair.

"Well, what the fuck do you expect?" Ember said, her voice rising as she started to get on her feet.

Demetri grabbed her arm and yanked her back to the ground so that she tumbled onto him and they both fell into a tangled mess on the floor.

"I expect you to do what I say."

"Then obviously you do not know me very well."

Ember tried to prop herself up but the ghost held her down firmly until she resigned herself to lying in his embrace.

"Oh I think I know you very well, wouldn't you say? At least one part of me has delved deep inside you," he teased.

Their conversation went around and around in circles for what seemed like hours. Demetri taunted Ember with his every comment and Ember fought back with biting remarks. Slowly, however, the conversation began to shift: Demetri began to tell Ember what the world had been like when he was alive, and she began to tell him how the world had changed since. He tried to describe death to her, and she tried to describe life to him.

The ghost recounted his childhood memories, hoping with each embarrassing tale to brighten the halfling's dampened spirit.

"- and then my mother walked in," Demetri said, concluding his last story in a melancholy voice

Ember put a hand over her mouth and tried to stifle her laughter... But she could do no such thing. Ember burst into laughter at the ridiculous story that the ghost had told.

Demetri propped himself up in shock, staring incredulously at the halfling as she tried to stop laughing.

I made her laugh! She's - she's smiling!

Demetri's lips curved into a smile as he watched Ember's laughter die and a beautiful smile linger on her face.

Ember blushed as she realised that Demetri had been staring at her. The look upon his face spoke his soul: he was happy that she was happy.

He made me laugh... And he's so happy about it.

"You have a beautiful laugh," Demetri said softly.

"Hopefully you like it better than my screams," she replied, a hint of malice creeping into her tone.

Demetri cleared his throat and slowly got to his feet. He offered her his hand and smiled sheepishly as she took it and stood up.

"Y-you should, um, probably get some rest," he said awkwardly. "I can take you to your room now, if you would like."

"Sure," she said softly.

A few moments later they faded into Ember's room. Demetri cleared his throat again when he noticed her staring at the rug where he had first raped her and grabbed her hand gently.

"Actually, there is a better room for you, " he said. "Come with me."

They appeared a few seconds later in another room that had one wall entirely made of painted glass windows, a bed covered in black satin sheets, and no rugs whatsoever.

The halfling smiled slightly as Demetri lifted her up into the bed and pulled the covers over her.

"Can I stay with you for a little bit longer?" the ghost asked. "You still haven't told me anything about your studies, or what you like to do, or anything like that."

Despite herself, Ember nodded and resumed their conversation. Ember suddenly felt as if she had known the ghost for years... they had a lot in common. Soon they were sitting in front of the fireplace with another bottle of wine as time slipped away slowly and unnoticed.

"Really?" Demetri asked, pouring more wine into each of their glasses. "The Count of Monte Cristo? That's your favourite book?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"I'm not sure, I just remember I was the only person who loved that book when we read it in school," he said shaking his head. "I didn't think anyone else understood it, really."

"Well I loved it too," she said, taking another sip of wine. "I love the Count, I love Haydee..."

"They made a movie when I was alive," Demetri said. "Didn't have Haydee and they changed the whole Mercedes story. They changed the whole thing."

"Oh, I know! I've seen it," Ember said. "They took out all the damn subplots and reduced his magnificent quest for revenge to stupid conversations and shows of wealth."

"Wow, you are pretty serious about it," Demetri chuckled.

There was silence for a moment before Ember spoke again: "You know, the Count realised that revenge was not the way to ease his pain."

Demetri put down his wine and stared at the halfling. Her fiery eyes were fixed on him, daring him to respond.

"He didn't find happiness in the deaths he caused -" She began, swirling the wine in her glass.

"He found it in the lives he saved and the love he had for Haydee," the ghost interrupted. "I know."

"Maybe -"

"Maybe you should stop while you're ahead, halfling," Demetri said curtly.

The halfling averted her eyes and pushed her wine away.

"Mercedes betrayed him," the ghost glowered. "It took him years to get over that pain."

There was silence for a moment as the halfling avoided the ghost's piercing gaze.

"I'll leave you now," Demetri said finally, rising to his feet. "Good night."

"'Night," Ember muttered as the ghost faded away.

She could not bring herself to crawl to the bed, so instead she curled up on the pile of pillows and blankets that she and Demetri had rested on and sunk into slumber as she stared at the fire.

++++++++

Ember woke the next morning to find her room bathed in a thousand colours. Light streamed through the stained glass and filled the room with colour. She walked to the casement and opened one of the windows. The sky had changed: Instead of stormy purple clouds, the clouds were white and pink. She even thought that she could see hints of a blue sky and of sunlight winking at her through the clouds.

She walked back to the mirror and examined herself again. The food and sleep had restored her and revived her spirits. She ran her hands over herself but found no bruises or aches.

She turned around and walked once more to the window. A soft breeze whispered promises of warmth across her cheeks as she admired the beautiful sky that surrounded the castle.

A knock on the door broke her trance.

"Come in," she called.

Demetri opened the door slowly and saw Ember leaning against the windowsill. She looked so beautiful with the blushing sky behind her.

"Morning," he said softly. "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yeah, what changes it?"

"I wish I could say..."

"Well, I'm not complaining," she said, "it's even warming up."

"Yes, yes it is," Demetri smiled. "Can I interest you in breakfast?"

"Yes please," she said, suddenly aware of her empty stomach.

Demetri smiled and motioned behind him with his head: "Come with me then."

Ember followed Demetri out of her room and through the dark, empty castle.

"Do you sleep, Demetri?" she asked as they wound their way down a narrow staircase.

"Kind of," Demetri shrugged. "It's similar to when I try to eat, like I feel echoes of my human instincts but I can't actually fulfil them. I can taste but it does not nourish me."

Suddenly they were in the kitchen again, but they could smell the scent of fried bacon and eggs wafting in from the dining room. Just as the night before, the low table was filled with food and set for two.

"Are you sure you have nothing to do with this?" Ember asked.

"I swear on my own grave I have no idea how this happens," Demetri said in wonder. "But I am damn grateful because I'm sure my cooking skills have not improved with death."

The pair sat down and began to eat. Their conversation ranged from places they had each been, to their least favourite childhood memories. When they each put their knives and forks down, the used place settings disappeared and the table lay bare.

"How long have I been here?" Ember asked suddenly.

"In our time?" Demetri asked.

"What other time is there?"

"Well, in our time, it's been about 2 weeks," he said. "But, in worldly time, it's been a year."

"A year?" Ember asked breathlessly. "You mean to my parents I've been gone for a year?"

"Yes," the ghost replied quietly.

"Oh my God," she said, standing up slowly. "They must have given up searching for me by now."

Demetri said nothing.

"So, I'm already 19?"

"No, you haven't aged," he said. "If we stayed here forever you'd stay 18."

"A child forever," Ember muttered.

"You won't be here forever."

"Oh that's right," the halfling replied sardonically, "I'll be dead soon."

"Halfling - " Demetri began.

"Save it," Ember said, stalking out of the dining room. "Just do me a favour and send my body home before my parents forget about me."

The ghost did not go after her, he just sat staring at the flames of the fire.

++++++++

Ember ran to her room and threw herself onto the bed, curling up into the black satin sheets.

I cannot stay here! His prisoner forever... until he gets tired of me and finally kills me.

The halfling tried not to let tears build in her eyes but she could not help it. The tears flowed fasted than Ember could stop them and soon she had sunk into a deep sleep.

suggababy
suggababy
73 Followers
12